Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have an iPad 2 I got a few months ago, and it's Verizon. I have a prepaid 2GB/month plan that works really well for me.

Am I correct in assuming that this new "Share Everything" plan system won't impact prepaid iPad data customers?

If I'm correct, that would essentially make 2GB a month go from $20 to $70.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mighty Horse posted:

You can keep any plans you have now, outside of unlimited data.

That sounds right. People would be pissed off if they went to buy a new Verizon iPad to see that the cellular data costs more than doubled, and they were locked into a tow-year agreement, etceteras. Even with their awful network, AT&T would crush them through pricing. Or they would dump the prepaid iPad plans too and raise their costs accordingly!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a question - I've got an older non-smartphone that is on month-to-month and would like to get my first smartphone - the iPhone 5S.

How difficult is this to do? My understanding is that I can just come into a Verizon store, they can pull up my account, sell me a iPhone with it activated and working then and there, so within a half-hour I can exit the store with a working iPhone. I believe the up-front fees would be somewhere between $199+$35 and $299+$35 depending on the phone.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The only thing that scared me is I've read a lot of reports about people burning through huge amounts of data on their LTE iPhones on Verizon.

My understanding is the problem is two-pronged:
1. There was a glitch that has since been patched causing iPhones to use LTE data instead of wifi even when wifi was available
2. People didn't do their homework, such as disabling background apps from using data (or the apps themselves were data hogs), and other settings

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

iostream.h posted:

That's basically true, you've just got to train yourself to use your phone in neuter mode when you're not on wifi.

What you're saying is that people are not familiar with how fast the 4G is versus 3G, so they burn through data much faster? (Like someone used to driving a little Toyota taking a ride inside a F1)?

I've also heard horror stories about where people get "out of the blue" data usage. That gives me pause.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Lowen SoDium posted:

Verizon will/can send you emails and sms warnings when you hit certain usage percentages: 50% 75% and 90% I think.

Yeah, and I have heard of "bad actor" applications, especially since they can work in the background now. (So I'm assuming an ad-sponsored app could continually load banner ads and chew through data.) My concern was these reports of mysteriously downloading 500MB overnight for no apparent reason or eating through a 2GB plan in a matter of days. I thought that was supposed to have been fixed by Apple but I am still seeing some reports here and there as recent as last month about people who are getting unexpected data usage. Also people who have iPhones where even nowadays they are having cellular data consumption while they're supposed to be on Wifi. I am also trying to find out if this is more of a problem from people who have older 4/5 iPhones versus people with brand new 5s/5c's.

This was one of the threads discussing this problem on VZW's official forums.

Also, is it correct that on the Verizon iPhone you can switch 4G/LTE off so the phone only uses slower 3G? Sounds a bit like a selector on a gun from semi to full auto.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 2, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In addition, at any time you can easily bump your data plan to the next tier (and backdate the change to the beginning of your current billing cycle) and get 2 more GB for an extra $10 (2 for 10 on the share plan, at least). If you do that, you can also "future date" a drop back to your original tier to start at the beginning of your next billing cycle.

That was actually a question I forgot to ask - if you could do that without breaking/renewing the contract. I take it the bumping can go in both directions if you use much less than you expected?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is Verizon expensive? Hell yes! However, as a counterpoint:

A. The coverage is outstanding - I don't think I've ever been in a dead zone (except for some industrial buildings with multiple sub-basements, but that doesn't count)
B. The support is very good - I've had to call once and awhile, and somehow I've always been able to get someone who speaks english very well, is polite, and willing to help get things done (the opposite end of the benchmark is AT&T, I've had a few good experiences, but they've also been marred by bad ones and crappy equipment)

I've always been willing to spend a little more money for a good quality product if possible. Sort of like buying a socket wrench from Harbor Freight versus a Craftsman wrench from Sears.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I did have one other question (thanks for the earlier info, you guys have been helpful!): how much extra does it cost if I want to have an iPhone 5S on Verizon act as a hotspot or tether my device to it? I think it's an extra $20 a month.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did have one other question - I recently changed my prepaid iPad 2 from 2GB to 1GB a month. Check this out:

Does it not start drawing data from my 1GB plan, even though the date for the 2GB plan has expired? I just downloaded a 50MB app update over Cellular, it didn't budge either of the data counters to my surprise.

EDIT: I reset my iPad (powered off and powered back on) and now it just shows the 1GB plan. Which is correct, still 0MB usage though. :tinfoil:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 8, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

hoobajoo posted:

Check at VZW.com, that's the real authority, since they make the bills. If I had to guess, you probably were on WiFi and didn't realize it.

That won't work for prepaid.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

hoobajoo posted:

Oh, sorry, didn't see that. How do you normally check your data with verizon? I don't know much about the prepaid side.

It's still screwed up. The old plan did go away like it should, but there is still a problem. The data use counter number only changes if you power-cycle the iPad or if you turn the cellular off and back on. It's really strange. (Not on IOS 7.)

I called Verizon this afternoon and they put in a ticket to check it out. It's not like a "my cellular/account is broken", but it did that [the counting issues] and it also locked me out for no reason today (entered my email and password, said it was wrong, tried again and it said I had tried five times (I hadn't) and it was locked out) and I had to get the account reset, and that sucked. Been on the phone with Verizon three times and it seems like the people doing the data support aren't all that great. (Still beats the hell out of AT&T tier-1 support.)

There apparently is no Tier-2 for data plans people can talk to at Verizon. I've never had this sort of screwy issues with my prepaid Verizon iPad until recently. The way it's acting now is not a huge problem and there is a work-around, but it really bugs me when something doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I'll wait and see how this pans out, but it gives me significant pause as far as my plans to upgrade my Verizon phone to an iOS smartphone in the near future go.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 9, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nask26 posted:

Is their a Verizon acknowledged issue with data on a 5s? My dad switched from AT&T to Verizon on launch day and has gone over significantly the last few months. They are saying hes used almost 8gb this month. He had 2gb on AT&T and never once went over. He doesn't watch YouTube or Facebook or anything like that, I think he has like 2 apps installed. He's going to call them today and ask but I have a feeling they are going to give him the run around.

This is the stuff I was talking about earlier and is one of the primary reasons I haven't went to a 5S with Verizon yet. Have you had any luck in figuring this out Nask?

A few of the things I've been told:
1. Check app background data use settings - apps are allowed to talk to the internet when you aren't using them, and that could potentially suck up a TON of data
2. If your dad has the Podcasts app, make sure "automatic downloads" are set to OFF

If I go to a Verizon store and get a iPhone 5S, is there a grace period in which I can return it and switch back to my old phone or a non-smartphone plan if I run into one of these "my iPhone is using gigs of data a day" horror stories that I'm unable to fix?

I also called Verizon to ask about the issue with my iPad, never heard back from them. So that sours things as well. I was really disappointed with the service I got on the prepaid support line, I really felt treated like I was a third-class Verizon customer. (First two calls were awful, third call was much better and the lady said the first two were going down the wrong path - she said she sent my issue to a different department who would contact me but they never did.) Even if they were unable or having difficulties with this, or it was simply a recent change to the system and the way the data metering worked, getting some kind of call back would have been appreciated. I'll pay a premium for good service, but I think the prepaid department really jerked me around.

But I don't get dropped calls and the people spoke English if that's any consolation. :shobon:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 28, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

big mean giraffe posted:

Because you are if you're on prepaid.

Figures. The iPad is prepaid, the phone is post-paid.

The other thing is this - I am seeing plans listed that are about $90 a month (I think $50 for phone/texts and $40 for data) but how many additional fees/taxes are tacked on? I'd like to get a feel for the actual bill before I jump into this so I don't end up with a $120/month bill when I was advertised $90/month.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 28, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I know a couple who are involved with a nonprofit organization. The problem is they each have a personal phone number through Verizon (two cell phones.) The problem is that people ask them for their cellphone numbers, and it's getting tough for them because they want to try and keep their business and personal life separated and it's starting to frustrate them.

Even worse, they think that someone may be sending text messages with their SMS number... I sort of doubt that is actually happening, it sounds really over-the-top, but I suggested they change their phone number. They were really upset about that.

Can anyone recommend what to do in this situation? My thought would be to add a third line on a cheapo phone that could be used as a contact line. Or maybe a "burner" prepaid phone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here, I'm not sure of what can be done to help them out. :shrug:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So Google voice would effectively give them a second phone number? How much does it cost?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a quick question - I have an iPhone 5S and I want to upgrade to a 6S+ and I plan to just outright buy the phone at an Apple Store. Is this how I switch over the phone on my Verizon plan?

• Backup old phone
  • Turn off phone, pop out SIM
  • Load old phone backup into new phone
  • Insert SIM into new phone

Is that pretty much it?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a question about changing my Verizon plan.

I currently have a $60/month loyalty smartphone plan. It costs about $70 a month (after taxes and fees) and gives me unlimited minutes/SMS on my iPhone and 2GB of data. The contract ends 3/30/2016. I cannot tether or use my phone as a hotspot with that plan.

I saw that new plans are available, including a "M" plan that would give me 3GB of data for $45 + $20 a month (plus another $10 in taxes/fees) so I could move from 2GB with no tethering to 3GB and allowed tethering for an extra $5 a month ($70 to $75).

Should I wait for my contact to end, or is there any reasonable way I can hop over to that newer plan soon?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

fordan posted:

There no need to wait for the contract to end, the lines that are still under contract will just be $20 more per month ($40 total) under the Verizon Plan.

Will that be $20 until my contract has ended at the end of March? Then go to the lower price?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, just keep in mind if you sign a new contract it will add the $20 back on.

The advantage to your $60 plan is its $60 even with two year contract. In reality, the 3GB plan is $85 with two year contract, with a $20 discount if you are off contract.

Gotcha. I bought my new phone straight-up so I wouldn't need to subsidize it with a contract.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Verizon security question:

I see that there's a billing PIN number which is by default the last four of the customers SSN. (I immediately changed that to a different PIN number.)

What is that for exactly? Is that so someone cannot call Verizon and imperonate you to do weird stuff with your account?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, for security and also there are accounts where the account holder may want an authorized user to be able to call in, but doesn't want to give said person the last 4 of their SSN. Mostly it's for account security.

That's cool. For people who are security-conscious (or even a little paranoid), are there any steps that should be taken to "lock down" their cellphone number/account with Verizon?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That makes sense. I was wondering if I could even ask for a note to be added to my account with something like "do not change address or billing over the phone" but that might be overkill.

I think the most common attack is using someone's Verizon account to order telephones and ship them to a fence.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Rollover data and safety mode would both really surprise me (especially safety) and make me extremely happy.

Oh hell yes! It sounds like the safety mode is a sort of pseudo-unlimited that I heard other cheaper carriers use (xGB of LTE, then unlimited at 128k or slower.) For basic web browsing and email that is fast enough to limp along.

Did Verizon dump their CFO Fran Shammo? His past comments about data rollover was basically pissing on customers.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 3, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That safety mode is kinda weird where you need to manually turn it on each month, unless I am misunderstanding it.

I wouldn't mind just paying $5 more a month for it to be there waiting for me instead of needing to manually set it and whatnot.

If it does that but pops up a warning instead of automatically charging for overages that would be nice too. :shrug:

I'll wait till later in the week to see what's the deal.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 3, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Also what on earth is a "t-shirt plan"? Is that a bonus shirt they send customers?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Wickerman posted:

If it's free, idgaf if it says "mug me" on it.

Free clothes = goons best friend

Maybe they send you a shirt each month or if you go over?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The M, L, XL data plans versus the old "More Everything" I think?

Oh I see. :downs:

I wonder if I can splurge and get the huge 6GB plan if they end up being cheaper!? :yayclod:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 3, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey I've gone one additional question: I am on a $60/m for 2GB data loyalty smartphone plan. With that plan I cannot use my iPhone as a hotspot - if I try turning that on it basically says I need to call Verizon to set that up. My understanding is that is specifically NOT included in the loyalty plan.

If I move to one of the aforementioned "t-shirt plans" would that allow me to use my iPhone as a hotspot to tether to?

I also cannot change my plan via the App, it says I need to call Verizon.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 4, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

One big hold up to consider:

Your plan is $60 for 2GB. You can still sign a 2 year contract and your rate stays at $60. The new plans you don't get a discount phone for the price. So as an example, the out of contract price for the 3GB plan is $65 ($45 + $20), but you either have to buy phone outright or it goes up by $20 on two year contract.

I'm just saying, the plan you have is a good plan, so think it over. Assuming you aren't going over your data every month.

Gotcha - here's the deal on that: I got myself on that contract and a iPhone 5s about 2.2 years ago. So I think my subsidy for the iPhone is paid off (it was a 16GB 5s). I've since replaced that with another phone that I paid for in full.

So I just need to make sure that I am fully "paid off" on the 5s before I jump to a MTM "t-shirt" plan. I think.

It has a splash that says I am eligible for an upgrade - so I assume that means I am done with my original contract with the phone.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 4, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Cool I appreciate the heads up in that.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

So do those "t-shirt plans" include any other major fees like line charges or phone access fees?

No. I pay an additional $7 on top of that fox taxes and fees. I believe that varies based on your service address too. When I moved it dropped by $2.

I figure I can go to the new 4GB plan plus the safety net thing and my bill will go from about $70 to about $85 but that doubles the data. :shrug:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 5, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
When data rolls over, does the data that rolls over get used up first or last?

Example for a 2GB plan:
Aug: used 1.5GB, 0.5 rollover
Sept: used 1GB (2.5GB max), 1.5 rollover

Also can you change the plan and features (like safety mode) without paying an extra fee?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 6, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am currently on the 1YR Loyalty Smartphone 2GB plan. When I try and change plans in the app it says I need to visit the website or dial *611 to change my plan. Odd.

Also despite the update my app looks the same.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

They probably want you to call since you have a loyalty plan and can't go back to that if you switch.

Ah that makes sense.

Too bad the carryover data setup kinda' sucks. Going through carryover first would work better.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 7, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
It's going to be interesting to see how usable 128kbps is. I have Opera installed on my phone and it has a bandwidth saving mode that can cut the amount of data loaded for a web page down 90% but at the cost of operability on many web sites. Still not bad if I just want to look something up quick or check the news.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yo Duckman I am about in mid-cycle on my old contract. For the most seamless experience and minimal billing weirdness should I:

- Change plans just before my current cycle ends
- Change plans just after my current cycle ends and a new month starts
- none of the above

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Gotcha. Can I stop in or schedule an appointment at a Verizon store (one of the official ones) to do this as well? I've had good luck doing that in the past.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Unlimited home internet through wireless is every user's dream (that would kill the cellular, landline, and cable company's dollars-for-megabytes golden geese) but you probably won't see it until there's a new gamma product that completely destroys the status quo.

I made a few small corrections.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Safety mode question: once you turn on safety mode (it's an extra $5 a month) does it stay on until you turn it off, or does it automatically turn off at each end of a billing cycle and you need to manually turn it on every month?

• Locked thread