Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Verizon will let you start service month to month and then once you buy a phone with the subsidy your contract starts. *

They will also happily let you activate most VZW phones as prepaid. Unlimited data for smartphones is available, albeit a little more expensive. Just make sure the phone is no longer part of someone else's contract and is not on the lost/stolen list. Also remember so older phones can't be activated and the LTE phones are not available for prepaid. Whether you bought a Thunderbolt off of someone who grew sick of the battery life or lack thereof, buy one, etc the 4G phones can't be prepaid.

*Pursuant to credit check and other considerations, but for the vast majority of people shouldn't have a problem.

Wiggly posted:

A couple of questions for the Verizon people.

My boss is on Verizon and is looking to do two things: get an iPhone and a new iPad. She is trying to decide whether she should buy a 3G/WiFi iPad or just use tethering with the iPhone as needed. I know that with my AT&T plan, I can make changes to my data plan pretty much at will for short periods of time so that if I was in the same situation I could add tethering to my iPhone for a month and then turn it off later without much of a hassle. She is thinking she would like to do the same with her iPhone and if possible just added tethering as needed and not pay for it all the time. Is this possible with Verizon?

Also, is the Corporate Data plan still just the one needed for the Blackberry? She wants to do Active Sync for her Exchange account but wanted to know if she do that with just the Smartphone data plan?

Depends on how much data she's looking to push on the iPad. I know corporate on iPhone launch was pushing sales reps to sell the hotspot feature for this very situation. Remember it's $20 for 2GB (and I forget the overage) when it's the hotspot. If she's going to consistently do video and or music over the hotspot I'm thinking the 5 Gig plan on either the iPad or one of the standalone mifi's. The website has a data calulator that sometimes reflects realistic data use so maybe you could use that for estimations. She's got an iPhone though and it is a pretty good companion for the ipad.

On a personal note, I wonder if the iPhone would see better battery life than one of the mifi's. Still best battery life would be the one of the 3G iPads.

The $45 corporate email plan isn't just for Blackberry. That says if she's doing anything with a BES or Exchange, VZW will require it.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

AlexDeGruven posted:

VZW will tell you it's required if you tell them you're using it to connect to corp Exchange.

If you don't tell them, they don't charge you.

This can happen. VZW does of course say that is forbidden to its employees. It wouldn't surprise me if you wouldn't have a problem if you bought on the website.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

The Incredible 2 is reputed to be the best 3G non-iPhone smartphone for VZW. It kind of is more like a Thunderbolt without the LTE radio and a better battery, though I find it to be a little weird. Size and how it feels in the hand-wise. Seriously though it just works. I would probably take it over the Droid X2 (because I do not like its screen). Edit: It's a good deal for the Inc2 though I'm surprised they didn't offer the X2. Either will "hold you over" until the Bionic/Jesus/LTE iPhone/whatever comes out.

While playing with the Xperia, only thing that strikes me as bad is the camera. Pictures look terrible, worse than some of the other non-iPhones in the VZW lineup. Otherwise it's fine. No werid behavior at all. Stock Gingerbread and capable (if somewhat last year's but a little better) hardware mean it's smooth. I wonder if it would be more popular if it had a slide out keyboard like the Moto Droid family instead of that all or nothing gamepad.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 10, 2011

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

In case anybody missed it, new pictures and stats of the Bionic leaked. The phone now looks less like the Droid X than the leaked Targa prototype.MOTO improved the screen (both size and resolution). A TI CPU makes everything run.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06/more-droid-bionic-pictures-surface-4-5-qhd-screen-new-3d-blur-and-android-2-3-4/

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Acrolos, good luck with your new phone. I'm frankly mystified that you had so many problems with the DroidX.

Cozmosis, technically you are allowed 1 return or exchange. You hypothetically could get an exception as long as you are not trying to end up with an iPhone. Maybe, maybe not. I am sort of speculating.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I wasn't aware that the Droid X Gingerbread release was causing people problems.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Linked earlier in the the thread: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4240/htc-thunderbolt-review-first-verizon-4g-lte-smartphone/3

The Thunderbolt has a chipset for both LTE+CDMA and a separate CDMA only chipset. I imagine Verizon had to make a few changes to their network to allow it, but the Thunderbolt will do simultaneous voice and data in many places. Doesn't have to be a 4G area either.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I really wanted to like the Droid Pro, but its an utter mess of a phone. Buggy as Hell. I've had 2 coworkers have it just up and die. Also suffers from an usually large number of blown speakers like the Droid 2 Global.

Unfortunately I highly doubt we will see the Bionic in the next 13 days.

I am very happy the free 4G hot spot offer got extended again.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I sure hope the latest Droid life story is true. Or carries over for a while. At least I have my Thunderbolt. I have enjoyed the free mobile hotspot but I haven't hear one way or the other whether there will be some sort of option to pay for the hotspot after the 7th besides going on one of the new plans. I use it enough where I would pay for it, if I can keep my unlimited data.

I doubt whatever the new iPhone turns out to be (5 or 4GS) will be as earth shattering as the 4. Dual core, better camera, maybe that NFC credit card chip.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

Asurion is pulling a weird promotion. I got the following text:

How are Stop and Opt-Out two different things? Did they sign me up and expect me to opt-out?

They're doing a special open enrollment period for Thunderbolt users because insurance was available on the phone at first.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

It should prompt you after you plug in the ESN to add the data plan and you'll be good to go. If not, call customer service or go to a store.

Obviously you finish the activation by dialing *228. You will also probably want to unlink whatever Gmail was originally on that phone and add/create your own.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

We've been busy too. I'm glad some people are smart to lock in while things are good.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

The Env3 is one of the buggiest feature phones we have ever had. whats your firmware version? Its under settings, phone info...

I would agree with that statement. When I got hired, our techs were seeing like 5 a day. I still get to activate several replacements a month. No wonder the LG Octane is not named the Env4.

Only phone we sold that approaches the Env 3 in bugginess (well besides the env touch) would be the Devour. Wow did Motorola outfit a decently built phone with broken unfixable Blur-tastic software.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

My biggest complaint with the Thunderbolt is the random battery life that seems to be plaguing those Charges as well. Obviously my phone has worse overall battery life than the Charge; regardless, theres plenty of days where I'm plugging in my portable battery by 3 or find an open plug while others I make it home at 30%. I think I use it about as much every day. I decided I couldn't wait for the Charge even for rumored improved battery life and that screen. My previous work phone was the Fascinate and the time spent waiting for Froyo jaded me with Samsung. Not to mention the Froyo update nearly ruined the phone.

A coworker with the Charge and she's thrilled with it, but even she admits there are some days she barely uses it and its dead. We work smack dab in the middle of a 4G area. I personally have seen my battery tank n areas with questionable coverage (both 3G and 4G).

Someone earlier in this thread claimed Google darkened the homescreen and icons in Gingerbread in order to help those AMOLED screens. Dark colors/blacks uses less power with those screens. If it's true, it's a shame Samsung didn't bother to launch with Gingerbread.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I'm glad netflix is on more phones. Does anyone know if Netflix requires the most recent free mobile hotspot-killing update? I ask because I never updated (still trying to figure out if I use the hotspot enough to pay for it). I was overjoyed to be able to install netflix, but was disappointed to discover it didn't play movies. Probably because the right Drm is in that cursed update. Thanks

Edit: Update, I'm just impatient. Netflix pushed another update and now the Thunderbolt is indeed on the Netflix bandwagon. Crisis averted.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 21, 2011

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

If anyone is considering picking up a LTE phone on ebay, I'd say wait for the Bionic to launch. I have a feeling there will be a flood of Thunderbolts and Charges on fleabay thanks to owners who have to have the dual core beast and/or supposed great battery life. Sellers, you may get a better price if you dump before the Bionic's launch.

Medullah posted:

How lenient is Verizon on early upgrades? A co-worker has a busted phone, but isn't eligible for an upgrade til October. If he calls and tells them he's debating going to someone else so he can get a phone now, what are the chances they'll take care of him?

Your coworker might have some hope, but I can't guarentee anything. First is the phone totally dead or semi-working trash? If not, I doubt we can do much. The coworker's account has to be in good standing and they have to realize that Verizon absoluetly positively can't make exceptions for the iPhone. Otherwise it's a case by case basis.

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

Auuauagh.

I got my phone stolen and ended up using an upgrade for the replacement. I wanted to hold off till October for the Nexus Prime but now I've got a Droid X2. It's not a bad phone, a non-amazing step up from an original X, but... ugh. Guess I'll use the other upgrade on my family plan for the Prime??

Listen to Codiusprime. Sell the X2 since it will still have great resale value. (Just try to keep it in a case and screen protector). I myself prefer the Droid 3 but the X2 is good too.

Eltoasto posted:

I am a child and need help in making decisions...

I wouldn't upgrade and use the subsity if you really are considering the 1st 3 LTE phones as a stopgap. The rumor mill is the Bionic will have a higher full retail price than the current 3 and more importantly I don't see that price going down for the othered rumored LTE phones.

Delthalaz posted:

Phone rec's

You should be able to find what you want. I'd have to recommend the iPhone to 1st time smartphone users, but bear in mind the iphone 5 should be out soonish (by all accounts). The iPhone also has that annoying no Flash so there's some websites for streaming video that you can't get on the iPhone that you can get on an Android. iphone should smoke most any Android phone at battery life. About the only screen on a Verizon phone better than the iPhone 4 is clearly the Charge (and that's personal preference anyway).

Oh and do you need a physical keyboard? If so, that really narrows things...

Edited for a couple more thoughts.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Medullah posted:

Completely dead, boots to Verizon splash screen and freezes. Not an iphone, it's an old Samsung dumb phone.

That sounds just about dead. I was more worried whether your coworker was looking to upgrade to an iphone. Looking to go from a dumb phone to any non-Apple smartphone can certainly help when it comes to discretion.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Professorbx posted:

If you want to wait, you could go the route my wife and I did. I signed her up to my account but got her a Palm Pixi (only $39 new!) till the iPhone 5 comes out, then I use her upgrade to get the 5 and give her my 4. So, yea, if you are planning on getting a smart phone and can live with something that, while somewhat pokey (and from a dead company!), is a completely competent and useable smart phone with some frankly awesome features (Synergy contacts is kind of the coolest thing ever, the web browser stands up nicely to my iPhone 4 and my old Droid 2 Global, makes a good MP3 player, decent camera), it is frankly a great option.

Valid option too. I havent seen either the Pre or Pixi on deal like that recently but I'm sure it works. On the other hand, you can do it for any working Verizon phone so you don't have to go the Palm or even smartphone route. You don't start the contract until you take the subsidy for equipment.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I know a lot of us were reading about the Nexus Prime info and saw it is supposed to have a SuperAMOLED 720p screen. Did you all read the part where phonearena, Droid life, et al said that Samsung only got such a high resolution screen by going back to the PenTile matrix?

I personally find pentile screens annoying since I used a Fascinate. I wouldn'tt go so far as to call the screen a deal breaker though. Text still looks a little weird to me.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

The screen on the Bionic is pretty good, at least from my hands on time with one of my store's demos. Text is still a little less than perfect but its a good screen.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

rscott posted:

Coming from Sense I'm really not a fan of motorola's skin. I have no complaints about the screen so far and I had an incredible before. The on screen keyboard kept bugging out when typing text, it wouldn't update the text box but it was still registering key strokes, making it difficult to tell if you made an error. Overall it's super loving fast though.

I think the onscreen keyboard thing is a bug in the newer versions of blur because my X2 does this sometimes also. When it happens you have to clear the keyboard apps data to fix it.

It only happens once every 3 or 4 weeks or so but its pretty annoying when it happens.

Pardon the ignorance, but how do I clear the cache on the keyboard? Is it in Manage Applications?

rscott posted:

Those of you with Bionics who think the Pentile screen is particularly egregious are you guys using screen protectors? I put one of the verizon anti glare protectors on my phone and it looked like poo poo afterwards.

I put those anitglare screen protecors on the Fascinate and it was the same way. The anti glare "fog" coating just realy mucks up the screen when put on top of a pentile screem. Of course I should have known better since the Fascinate (like other Super AMOLEDs) is usually stellar avoiding glare.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Possible Bionic bug! Well it is a Motorola device. :downs: Or maybe something is not right with that phone number.

Motorola's implementation of the homescreen widget that acts as a shortcut to a particular contact will randomly not work right with a couple of contacts. Occasionally when you got to call that contact from the widget the phone will call one of the VZW shortcut numbers. Somehow it interpolates the number for #MIN. I tried the standard array of battery pulls, deleted the contact and readded, checked *73 to make sure forwarding is off, closed the phone. Keeps happening. The contact is a cell number and I made sure the phone can actually dial the number. No, it's not like forwarding is on the phone called. I had to send the guy home to check back in a couple days. It's not a known issue as far as I know, but I imagine Moto will have more to say soon if it is not an isolated incident.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, in Manage Applications. Pretty sure it's actually "Clear Data" and not "Clear cache" though.

Thanks. There was an argument between a couple of my coworkers over whether the bugs with the keyboard can come back after a while. What I've been telling people is to use the Swype keyboard or download the generic Gingerbread keyboard off of the market. I'll make sure I clear data.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 11, 2011

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Verizon has always said their aim is to cover their 3G area with LTE. When Verizon activates a 4G cell site, as far as I know it includes both the LTE array and the standard 3G broadcast antennas; as a result, hypothetically you'd get 3G and 4G at the same time. At the very least, I am not aware of a 4G site that is only attached to a 1X cell in the Boston area.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

My Thunderbolt lost it's LTE wings around 3 or 4 today and I was going batshit insane trying to restore it. I checked at work and all of our demo phones were still on it and we didn't have any flash alerts... now I know I'm not alone. This is what I get for using Juicedefender by the sounds of it.

Edit: forgot to say I was going to lose 4G when I went home anyway so not like I could have kept the active connection.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 20, 2011

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Sorry that happened duffmensch. I don't know if the hypothetical (dare I say probable?) 4G outage affected things, but the Bionic's activation sequence is mysteriously faulty on it's own.

I believe someone suggested this earlier. For some reason Motorola's activation process and it's searching for Wifi process do not get along. Disable Wifi and activations usually go through. How to improve Bionic activations (corporate VZW employees should already know this):

1. Buy phone, pay, agree to terms, yada yada to ensure the 4G SIM Card is active on your account. (Business as usual)
2. Insert SIM and battery then power on the phone. (Business as usual)
3. Let it boot up and see the welcome to Android/ Touch Droid to start screen.
4. Before it tries to activate the sim automatically, pull down the notification bar and disable Wifi. Touch the android and see if it activates. If it doesn't, reboot the phone and try to activate it.
5. Don't worry if it started to activate by itself before you turned off wifi. You can still pull down notification bar and turn it off. The activation may hang and fail though so you might have to reboot anyway.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

You don't have to exchange the iPhone4 immediately so just go back and return it. Pay the restock fee and hold the upgrade for the 5. Seriously, if you're asking if you should wait for the 5 then you already want it.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

CowGuy posted:

Difference is the phone is on a new line added on family plan. I don't know if I can just exchange it and be able to wait without a phone because it isn't an upgrade.

I missed that part. get a hold of another phone and we can activate it on the line. Do you know anyone with an old Verizon smartphone you can borrow? You will just be no contract until you use the subsidy. arisu and Marketing Shill both have very good ideas too.

I recommend using a smartphone so you don't need to go through messy plan changes for the return and when you buy the new iPhone

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Aatrek posted:

I'm up for a renewal/phone upgrade, and I've been using an Incredible (1st gen) on an unlimited 3G plan. Just to be safe - if the only thing I change is the device (say upgrading to a Bionic or whatever), and don't adjust anything about the plan... I can still keep the unlimited date deal, right?

You can also change your plan as long as you don't drop your data plan (ie activate a dumbphone on your line)

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

One oddity of how Asurion works is old phones that had insurance can bail you out. You can activate you Pixi on a line with insurance on you account and still maintain the insurance. Placehpldr device, sparw phone to activate in an emergency, etc.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Yes you can keep your unlimited data. You mean the $30 unlimited right? Verizon redesigned the names and codes of their data plan codes just to ensure there would be no problem moving around. (basically eliminated different data plan name based on OS). The old "corporate email" $45 plan is also grandfathered but it's not a sure thing you can move down to the $30 unlimited plan.

As far as Apple Care+ goes, you have to add it at time of purchase. This is a change compared to the original non accident lost protection version of Apple Care and Asurion/VZW TEC

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Both the Razor and the Galaxy Nexus look spectacular. Motorola might have caught lightning in a bottle: take what works from the Bionic and build an ultra premium phone. Obviously the Nexus is the ICS standard bearer and the videos make the phone look all together more polished than the iPhone. I wished Google and Samsung just came out and said that "Yes that LTE one is coming to Verizon." Given the mountain of evidence, it would be a surprise if it didn't.

I find both announcements are just a double middle finger salute to people who bought Bionics from anywhere but Costco.

Now, we all wait for a launch day and the countdown to see what bugs and glitches ship with the phone. (Ice Cream Sandwich facial recognition unlock function scares me for some reason)

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

2 other differences that have flown under the radar: the Razr has a memory card slot while the Nexus is internal only and the Razr's quarter HD screen is miraculously full on Super Amoled Plus. (edit: turns out I'm wrong and its Advanced, meaning Qhd and pentile). I'm sure the Nexus category define 720p screen will be incredible even making do with regular pentile Super Amoled though.

I think Motorola finally got the message they needed to improve their screens.

Developers will probably love the Nexus more, as said above.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 23, 2011

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

jfreder posted:

I haven't been able to find anything that claims the Razr has a Super AMOLED Plus screen. The Razr also has an OMAP 4430 processor vs. the 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus but I doubt that makes a big difference.

Turns out I misread the spec sheet. The Razr screen actually says Super Amoled Advanced, which just means Qhd . Google points to Advanced being Pentile and still decently high pixel density. drat, I really got my hopes up.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

As of yet you cannot activate 4G products for prepaid plans. Hopefully this changes.

There's been a persistent theme in the comments section of Nexus articles on Phonearena that T-Mobile will have the GSM version out in February and Sprint already started merchandising for a CDMA version of it before they realized they didnt have the phone. Make of that what you will

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Am I a complete idiot for actually entertaining the $111.11 idea of a Razr on Amazon Wireless? Would actually be $11 after the $100 Amazon gift card when signing up on a tethering plan.

450 minutes = $39
4+2 free (6 gig total) tethering = $40
$79 month before a 21% corporate discount.

I would be breaking 7 months of my AT&T contract though and losing unlimited granfathered data on ATT.

Have I got a screw loose?

Not crazy but I think you made the best choice unless you're already having reception issues with AT&T where you are. Keep unlimited as long as you can. You may find you expect your phone to do a lot more than you're doing now.

I didn't think I would need an unlimited plan until I got a little app called Netflix.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

abagofcheetos, the Incredible 2 is a great phone. Only thing that made me go :wth: with it was that there was a software release that somehow managed to break the alarm clock of all things. So your sister may have one hell of a 3G phone that needs a 3rd party alarm app. Seriously, though, the Inc2 is rock solid.

HTC's micro USB ports do look weird but they're all standard compliant. I sometimes laugh a little when I see USB cables for other phones (like LG ones), that are upside down.

Jury is still out on the Rezound and whether its software (and battery life) are quantum leap over the 'Bolt. Sure hope so: a screen that beautiful is a terrible thing to waste (see Droid Charge).

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Asurion can be a hassle and kinda expensive but it works. I assume we're talking about smartphones. $7 bucks a month for most smartphones, $10 for the iPhone. Deductible is $99 bucks for smartphones and some borderline retarded amount for the iphones based on capacity ($170-200 I think). They overnight phones with the exception of Sundays and holidays, order before like 11pm and it's there the next day. Phones are refurbished but usually fine. They cover some accessories too. One thing to remember that the warranty on a replaced device is through Asurion.

Added bonus of having Asurion: you're given free overnight business day shipping for warranty replacements done by Verizon. Edit: it might be 2 day, I haven't helped a customer order one in a couple weeks and already forgot

A friend of mine dropped my Thunderbolt and cracked the screen. I got a replacement that to my eyes has a better screen along with a "new" battery (I can't figure out if it too is rebuilt or not) and charger.

Edit: Some 3rd party resellers have instore insurance for different costs and coverage. You got to check with them.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Couldn't you just swap in a new battery to get a new NFC chip? Or is this security layer that locked down actually in the phone so there is no easy fix?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I'll be curious to see the general reaction to the LG Spectrum compared to the Nexus. I mean, I've seen and played with a Spectrum (Wow what a screen) but it's still an LG running the Optimus overlay. Internally it's a Rezound without the Beats. The Sportscenter HD app was kind of cool, but I was more impressed it had the Netflix HD app as seen on the Razr.

Penguissimo posted:

Unfortunately, the actual chip is in the phone. All the battery has is the antenna.

Or that :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

The LG Octane probably has the best raw tech specs out of our QWERTY phones without a data plan, but I feel far more confident in the Samsung Intensity 2. I think highly enough of the Samsung Intensity 2 to let my Dad buy and nothing has gone spectacularly wrong. Only issue Dad faced were some weird calls going straight to voicemail while at work and I fixed that with a manual tower push. Not everyone likes that model though (a coworker thought poorly of the phone just because it looked worse in comparison to the Samsung Reality).

• Locked thread