Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

Haha, thanks. I should have gone to snopes first. The info is from 2009, but it's still relevant right? This would never happen...

I think you can safely discount any news of this magnitude that's transmitted solely by email forwarding. If anything like this were real, you'd have heard about it via dozens of legitimate news sources first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

avan posted:

Also someone said something about tasker and making a profile to save battery life.
I decided to make a power saver profile that comes on when the screen is off (So when I am not using it) It turns off all data radios (4g/3g) syncing, slows the processor, basically anything that can consume power - except the main cellular radio for receiving texts and calls. Then, i have it set so - when I turn the screen back on all of my radios and syncing turns back on automagically. It has made it so I can easily make it from 7:30 AM to 12:00AM and stil have ~20-30% battery left. and that is with heavy use between classes (Like playing plants vs. zombies and browsing forums)

Its pretty awesome and I would recommend it.

I think I was the one who asked about this, and that does sound awesome! I just have one question of clarification—is there any way to have Tasker disable 4G but leave the 3G radio on when the screen is off, then re-activate 4G when the screen comes back on? I get all my texts through GV and need some sort of data connection at all times, but it seems like overkill to spend battery power on syncing Gmail and Voice through 4G when the screen is off.

Of course this is all academic right now since I don't have an upgrade until November, but it'd be nice to go in with guns blazing once the Vigor and/or Prime drop.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Seconding the thanks, and the hope that the ability to toggle LTE shows up soon!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

I know people use Google Voice numbers to get around texting plans, but what if you use your regular number as your GV number? Does it work the same way?

Isn't Sprint the only carrier that allows this right now?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sprint is the only carrier that allows you to use your sprint number as a full blown google voice number without porting to google voice.

You can, however, port your number to google voice, away from Verizon (or whoever). That would be the same effect as switching wireless carriers though so you would break contracts and such by doing it. You would also need a new number with verizon if you wanted to keep service.

Yeah, which is why the question the other guy asked isn't even applicable to Verizon. There's no way to "use your regular number as your GV number", because they can only be the same on Sprint.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Oneiric posted:

Couldn't understand why Tmo is dragging its feet with the GSII so I switched to Verizon:/ Dig the Bionic so far.

For what it's worth, I think the issue with the T-Mobile GSII is that the Exynos processor doesn't work with their 42mbps HSPA+ implementation, so they had to switch to a Snapdragon. I imagine that's introducing some delays. But the good news is that you're probably better off on Verizon anyway.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Endor posted:

Quick-settings pulldown menu

Forgive my ignorance, but where can this be found? I flashed the rooted stock image to see what was in it, and I can't find this anywhere.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 29, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

texaholic posted:

The Notifications pull down has 2 tabs when pulled down, probably my favorite thing about gingerbread so far. I am using a HTC Thunderbolt this might not be a gingerbread thing but a new sense thing.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the tabs on my Inc :( Back to Cyanogenmod!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Seconding the Inc/Inc2 recommendation. The original stands up pretty nicely to some phones being released today, and it looks so similar to the iPhone that people frequently look at it and ask if I like my iPhone.

And like this guy ^^^^, I know someone with the Inc2 who gets ridiculous battery life out of it. Neither phone is exactly a powerhouse, but they're both solid choices and should be pretty cheap.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

Random dude on the internet makes prediction that the Nexus announcement was delayed for due to Samsung's ongoing patent fight with Apple.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220725/Nexus_Prime_smartphone_Android_4.0_delayed_over_patent_dispute_?taxonomyId=15

Already disputed by 9to5Google:

http://9to5google.com/2011/10/11/murtazin-google-delaying-nexus-primeics-because-of-apple-patents/

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

uG posted:

I need to go to a verizon store and get another smart phone (I broke my current smart phone). I'm on a family plan, but im across the country right now. Can I buy and activate a phone (no contract changes, not using an upgrade) without the main account holder present? Or can I just have their info available to give?

I've done this before, and as long as they can get ahold of the main account holder by phone for authorisation when you go to buy the new phone, you should be good. Just make sure to work it out ahead of time with the main account holder so that they'll be reachable while you're at the store.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LaptopGun posted:

(Ice Cream Sandwich facial recognition unlock function scares me for some reason)

For what it's worth, the hands-on video linked from the Android Devices thread showed that this would be just another option alongside PIN/Pattern. You won't ever have to use it if you don't want to.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

kstatix posted:

The cost to deliver 3G data is 10x more than the cost to deliver data through LTE.

Kind of makes the coincidental occurrences of the rapid expansion of their LTE network and the introduction of tiered data seem like even more of a kick in the junk.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also, if you're the kind of guy who likes to root and ROM your phone up, the Nexus is literally designed for this, while the Razr will have a locked bootloader that will severely limit (or at least delay) what's possible on it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

THF13 posted:

Really excited that there's two great phones coming out and not just the typical good one and the budget one. What it's coming down to for me between the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr so far is the battery life on the Nexus vs the camera on the Razr, but probably won't know if these are even an issue until reviewers get their hands on the actual phones.

I'm pretty sure the battery life will be fine for the Nexus since the HSPA version has only 30mAh less than the Razr, but I'm not sure how the bells and whistles of ICS and that huge screen will impact it.

For the Razr motorola has been entirely focused on the tech specs of the camera and not at all on its ability to actually take a photo so I'm expecting the same situation here.

I am going to try to hold out until the phone I decide on drops to $200 from amazon which will allow for plenty of times for hands on impressions and reviews to come out.

Good news...the HTC Rezound is rumoured to be releasing on the same day as well, so you'll actually have THREE choices! It hasn't really seen much in the way of publicity since the Razr and Nexus kind of stole the spotlight, but if the other two fail to impress you for whatever reason, you'll still have a fallback.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Athenry posted:

Do we know what type of screen the Rezound has? It's supposed to be 720p, but I don't recall if it's pentile or whatever.

720p non-Pentile LCD, I believe. Also "Beats Audio", which so far has seemed to mean "EQ that cranks the bass up, but pumped through HTC's trademark lovely DAC".

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Matlock posted:

Every HP product I've had my hands on that's had Beats Audio has also included a Wolfson DAC. That sorta points to a standard and not just an EQ setting.

That might be true for HP, but this article seems to indicate that the Beats designation stops with the EQ in the XE.

edit: also the supplied earbuds I guess, but that still can't get around the legendarily-terrible HTC DAC.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

So Costco is trying to stop replacing phones for newer models? gently caress, I was banking on that. Is it even confirmed if they'll be carrying the RAZR? I'm still gonna try and weasel my way into returning my Bionic for one of these newer phones, just need a good story...

What? Where did you get this idea? On the previous page of this thread, someone posted the portion of Costco's policy where they spell out the exact opposite.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

AppleCobbler posted:

No, you jerk, they expected it to come back with a real problem, not just because you want to exchange it for a newer phone.

Jesus Christ, here we go again. Two goddamn pages ago, Bull posted a quote from the Costco policy where they explicitly say it's fine to exchange the phone for any reason. Sorry if Costco's decision to offer a liberal return policy offends you or something, but it's not like people are gaming the system here.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Argh, I hope I'll be able to buy the Nexus when I go home. My parents want to get me a new phone for my birthday/christmas but I'm only going to be home until the 27th.

If that timeframe ends up causing problems and they're willing to do it, they should be able to order it online/at the store and have it shipped to you. My parents did that with my current Inc.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Im annoyed as poo poo. I lost my Incredible 1 the other day, and since I had a contract upgrade I went to the store and decided to get an LTE phone. Picked the charge after reading some light reviews, and wanted the AMOLED.

Worst decision ever. My Incredible was so much better than this brown-menu, Froyo running, incapable to connect to even 3G piece of poo poo. And after reading through this thread it seems the the rest of the LTE phones aside from the Bionic aren't worth it either. So, I ask you, what is the most reliable 3G phone (Incredible 2 and iPhone 4S come to mind) that I could get? Bedides from the screen, the Charge is absolute garbage.

PS - can I tell the store employee to gently caress off when he asks me for the $35 return fee?

Do you have an old flip phone you could hobble by with for the next week or so? The RAZR and Rezound are both dropping within the next 7 days, and the Nexus at some point after that. Those will be a lot more future-proof than the Inc 2.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Should have made it $111.11 after tax...you know, consistency and all.

I do hope it makes it into a GSM version. That thing, while no Galaxy Nexus, looks way sexy...

They did say there would be a GSM version, but I can't remember and can't seem to find whether it would land on any US carriers.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Should have made it $111.11 after tax...you know, consistency and all.

That's just crazy talk; they would never--

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/10/deal-alert-tomorrow-only-motorola-droid-razr-for-111-from-amazon-wireless/

:stare:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Oh, Verizon announced a new batch of LTE areas yesterday for a December 15th launch. These are all eastern OH and Western PA.

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/10/verizon-4g-lte-coming-to-ohio-and-pennsylvania-on-dec-15th-did-your-city-make-the-cut/

Pretty soon, most of the Turnpike will be covered from the OH Border to Breezewood and most of the I79 corrider will be covered from West VA to Erie. The same can be said for the OH turnpike as well.

Right now, in the Pittsburgh area, Verizon's LTE coverage is already more extensive than AT&T HSPDA+ coverage.

This list tells you all you need to know about how awesomely aggressive Verizon's LTE rollout is. Indiana, PA?? White Township?? Homer freaking City??? I grew up in this area, and while Indiana isn't TOO big a shock (it's got a fairly sizable state university), White Township is nothing more than the crappy rural ring surrounding it. I don't think White Township even has its own school district. These are towns connected to Pittsburgh (the closest big city) only by two-lane roads because the town council didn't want the "riff-raff from the big city" coming into town.

And Homer City has, like, 2000 residents. It's one of those towns that you wouldn't even realise was a town if you drove through it. None of these are places you think of as being on the cutting edge of wireless technology.

This post has no real purpose other than to gawk at how ridiculously awesome of a job VZW is doing at rolling out 4G.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Dijkstra posted:

Guy said he didn't know if they are getting the Galaxy nexus. I decided to wait.

Good news!

http://www.androidcentral.com/costco-planning-sell-galaxy-nexus-289?style_mobile=0

No idea if there'll be any kind of deal like with the Bionic (or apparently now the RAZR, kind of?), but at least it'll be there...someday.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

JP Money posted:

I am very disheartened to find that my new every 2 is only 50 dollars and not 100 like it used to be. When did this change?

Man, are you in for a nasty surprise in two years:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless%20Service/faq_new_every_two.html

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Can I use the upgrade of another line on my plan to upgrade my phone? In this case, the primary line on my family plan (my mom) uses a dumb phone and doesn't want to upgrade, but has it several months earlier than the rest of the lines. Can I use it to get some sweet nexus action?

You can do this, but they'll need to confirm it with the account owner or a manager when you go to do the upgrade.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

highme posted:

Mini or micro? The micro cable sitting in front of me on my desk, that I have been using with my DX, does not fit. And I doubt a mini would either.

Did you try flipping it around? The original Inc used a funky-looking microUSB port that fit a standard microUSB cable, but ALSO fit HTC's proprietary video cable. A quick Google search seems to show that the same is true for the Rezound.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

firebad57 posted:

My DX has been überfucked lately, with broken hardware buttons and sluggish behavior, so I'm looking to upgrade to either an iPhone 4S or a Galaxy Nexus. I'd stopped considering the Razr and Rezound because a.) the Razr's screen looked like poo poo when I saw it in the store (at least compared to the iPhone...), and I don't really trust the Rezound to be a great phone.

I'm interested in the Gnex mostly because of ICS - I've liked Android as a platform with my Droid X, but it's been too buggy, and I am really looking for something with more polish that might be slightly more pleasant/easier to use.

Unfortunately, the Gnex is a.) not around, so I can't see the screen, and b.) probably $100 more than the iPhone (don't care about storage space).

My questions are twofold: 1.) What sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals might Verizon have on phones - money is an issue for me, so a huge deal on a phone could sway me.

2.) Is it worth waiting around for the Galaxy Nexus, given my problems with the Razr's screen (I had never noticed a penTile screen before, but the whites on it looked terrible compared to the iPhone) ,and the fact that it won't be out for a while/is more expensive?

What do goons think?

If you can hold off until the Nexus release to compare the phones (most likely 7-10 days at the most), the worst that'll happen is that you'll settle on something you could have had earlier. If the DX can hang on that long, it seems like a no-brainer to wait, since all the Nexus reviews have been glowing.

For what it's worth, the Rezound has been getting good reviews—if it weren't for the upcoming Nexus, it would probably be the automatic phone of choice on Verizon right now.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

I agree, I like the specs but the size is a negative. 4.6" may not be that much bigger than 4.3" but it sure sounds like a jump.

It's apparently hardly any bigger than other 4.3" phones due to that 4.6" figure including the portion of the screen set aside for software buttons. In the end it's more or less a wash.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's still actually a decent chunk larger than the rest of Verizon's 4.3in devices.

http://phone-size.com/

http://phone-size.com/?s=3%2C22%2C49

5 mm or so taller than the two most recent phones (RAZR and Rezound), which translates to less than a quarter of an inch, and it's actually a millimeter narrower than the RAZR. Even the Droid X/X2 are only about a third of an inch shorter, and essentially the same width (the X/X2 are 3 mm narrower).

A noticeable difference, to be sure, but this is hardly going to have the thing sticking out of pockets.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

So I have a grandfathered ATT data plan. Interested in Verizon's service and fast as gently caress LTE. Am I stupid for even entertaining this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Wireless-UNLIMITED-DATA-PLAN-3G-4G-iPhone-Razr-Bionic-Galaxy-Nexus-/360410218878#ht_500wt_1202

It's a grandfathered unlimited with unlimited tether option for $400. The seller says you can change your number once you buy it (have had my ATT number for 11 yrs and want to keep it).

Is this a good idea if I happen to find $400 lying around? Will this enable me to upgrade to the GNEX at the subsidized price?

Fake edit: my usage varies, but hovers on the high side so a tiered plan doesn't interest me one bit. I don't want to worry every time I use my data that I'm going to hit my cap.

I could be remembering wrong, but I could swear that this came up in this thread before, and it was determined that doing an AoL would force the new account owner onto tiered data.

edit: if you're super-interested in hopping onto Verizon, though, they are running a "double data" promotion right now. Not unlimited, but a little less of a kick in the balls than 2 GB.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

So the Rezound hasn't been rooted or S-OFF'd?

I think they have temporary root, but not permanent yet.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Just wondering, why is the non-removable battery such a concern all of a sudden with the RAZR? iPhones have sold millions with little fanfare about the non-removable battery but the RAZR gets trashed for it?

Is it because you *can* have a swappable battery with every other Android phone? Is that it? Fear of not choosing a better alternative?

Partially this and partially the fact that the RAZR apparently has the standard poo poo battery life of current-gen LTE phones, so you don't even have the option to carry a spare or extended battery.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Guess it's different with the RAZR since all other Android phones have the potential of a user replaceable battery and people get all spergy about the negated potential with the RAZR?

That and, as mentioned before, the RAZR apparently has poo poo battery life like all 4G phones and the standard response of "go buy an extended battery" won't work now.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

THF13 posted:

An app that could turn 4G on when certain applications were running would be great since off hand I really only need 4G for things like market updates, video streaming, and the browser but for now I'm just turning it on and off manually.

Does anyone know if Tasker has a toggle for LTE yet? If so, it could do exactly that.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Hopefully this should be nice and cheap when my upgrade comes next July :allears:

Don't worry, the Droid 6 will probably be out by then anyway.

edit: but probably not the Galaxy Nexus yet

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Sorry to bring this up again, a little bit late. But how does this work for outgoing calls? I feel like my friends would get confused if I tell them to call me at one number, but are getting calls from me at another.

I know there's that thing where you can dial into Google Voice and make a call from there, but is there any way in Android to set your outgoing number to automatically appear as your Google Voice number?

You can configure the Google Voice app to automatically intercept outgoing calls and have them appear to be coming from your GV number (essentially automating the "dial in and make a call from there" process). There's also an option to ask you every time whether to use GV or not, and a few apps on the Market (Voice Choice being my favorite) that let you set the GV app to always use GV, but then maintain a list of numbers that your phone will call using your carrier number.

edit: f,b; but that Voice Choice app is really useful if there's a certain group of people whom you always want to call using your carrier number.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Hey, Razr owners: Did Moto finally fix the battery reporting in 10s only and not exact percents yet?

Considering that this has been a hardware-based limitation of every single Motorola Android phone since (and including) the OG Droid, I wouldn't be holding your breath for a "fix". They clearly consider it a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, fix was probably the wrong word, but worth asking. :v:

Yeah, it's unfortunately one of those flaws that persists across so many generations of hardware that it has to be a deliberate decision at this point, like HTC's lovely audio chips, or Samsung. There are some apps on the Market that can give you finer-grained percentages, but they do it by monitoring your battery usage over time and generating an estimate based on that data. Might be worth a try, but I have no idea how accurate they end up being.

• Locked thread