Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

LE posted:

I won't say that all Thunderbolt owners need to toss their phone of choice and get a Droid Charge, but if battery life is a severe annoyance for you, I would highly recommend at least going to a store and playing with one for a little bit. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I would. The stock un-rooted firmware on the T-Bolt is a mess. The Charge at least doesn't have Sense UI FC on me 5 times a day just sitting on my desk charging, nor does it require me to reboot it constantly to keep it from running dog slow.

yes, I know you can root and fix things, blah, blah. I get it. But I can't expect my customers to do that. We are running a 60-70% return rate on the T-Bolt now, and new sales have dropped into the toilet. Meanwhile we can't keep Dinc2s on the shelf.

But...there is no excuse for touchwiz. Thank god for launcher pro. Anxiously awaiting the Revolution. You better not let me down like HTC did, LG.

in other news, been running a Home Phone Connect for 2 weeks now. Works as advertised. make sure to "decline voicemail" as there is little point as my phone has a really nice digital answerer in it. Only drawback is the lack of caller id w/ name like being bitched about above. I went from paying AT&T about 100 a month for awful 3mb/768k DSL + Landline to paying VZW $20 + Comcast $45(after 6 months of $29.99) for 12m/3m internet, I can live without the name.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Based on XDA and my experience you're in the minority and probably have a bad phone, unless you're talking about the known issue with the OTA update breaking phones. When running stock I never had issues with speed or Sense UI force closing. The only issue I have run into that wasn't related to ROMs and kernels is battery life, and that may still be a network connection issue since it was noticeably worse after LTE went down.

I really really wish it was, I went through 2 phones and 5 of my Employees here who had them all have the same issues and multiple customers have. It's weird I don't see complaints about these issues online in large numbers. I have one employee who had no issues at all with it and though I was crazy complaining about mine until his decided to start doing it as well.

Maybe its a magic combo of apps? Specific email servers? Something that doesn't effect everyone?

But then, I have seen the T-Bolt FC on the UI on Initial boot-up, fresh out of the box.

The phone is just unstable IMHO, and I wouldn't recomend it to anyone, maybe Gingerbread will fix things, because i'd like to switch back.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 20, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Had the LG guy in today with a Revolution to play with.

Scored a 1920 on Quadrant, mighty impressive.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

As I recall, that was a temporary inventory shortage that cleared up within a couple weeks. I remember considering filing a claim for my OG Droid (had a bum headphone jack and some other issues at the time), but by the time I got around to it, they had gotten more of the D1 back in stock, and I didn't want to start playing the refurb roulette game.

This happens all the time with Asurion. If they don't have any refurbs in stock, they will offer something else from new inventory. A popular phone like the D1 is going to be in stock for a long, long time.

It can work both ways though as asurion tries to screw you. I had a customer with a Palm Pre get sent a Pixi as its "comparable replacement" and once had a Droid replaced with an LG Fathom.

Both times Asurion was called and they got something that was actually comparable.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I know people say that, but this is the first phone outside of the Nexus One (and of course Nexus S) that has gotten gingerbread in the US.

So, yay moto?

Nope. Xperia Play launched today with GB.

Revolution's came in today, switching off my Droid Charge. The charge wasn't a bad phone, much better experence with it than the Thunderbolt, should be better when it gets a de-touchwized rom. The finish on it is awful though, I've been using it for 3 weeks and it looks like its a year old already with all the scratches.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 25, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Rowe posted:

Could you give us some initial impressions of the Revolution when you get a chance? The only thing I've been able to find is some quick thoughts on boygeniusreport and they were not very favorable.

So far, for a few hours, I like it. Build quality is solid, if a bit heavy compared to the charge. Screen isn't as nice, but passable 800x480.

Speed wise, its pretty peppy, scores a 1910 on quadrant.

I am finding I actually like some of the LG customizations, the app drawer allows you to create sub folders within it, so media adds are one tab, communications, downloads, etc. This is key because it allows you to move all the crapware to a custom folder I call "crapware" and leave minimized. Not as good as being able to uninstall, but a nice option. The lock screen has a nifty "whats new" option that brings you to the latest messages, emails, etc in once flick, pretty nice.

camera is OK, but only 5MP, so not quite up to the Charge or Tbolts..

only drawbacks I can find so far are bing, and google music FCs on launch. (I got into the beta)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Yep. The contract is agreeing to keep the service active for 2 years, its not on the specific phone.

BUT: Sometimes contracts with 3rd party retailers (I.E. wirefly, amazon) may require you to keep all the same features active for a length of time as well, so if you say goto a dumbphone from a smartphone, they may try to give you an additional cancel fee.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

It only weighs .06 ounces more than my OG Droid, and is ever so slightly thinner actually.

Do you know how much RAM it has? Nothing anywhere states what it has on board.

It has 16GB on board, 368Meg for program memory

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 27, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

There's almost no reason whatsoever to go for the Inc 2 at this point. Like you said, it doesn't have dual core OR LTE, and it's also one of the special new encrypted-bootoader HTC phones, so you don't even have the "near-infinite hackability" advantage there.

Basically, unless you REALLY love Sense 3.0 and/or absolutely need to buy a new phone, like, this week, you have every reason to hold off. And even if you do need a new phone this week, the Xperia Play, the Revolution (unless Bing really bothers you), and the Droid Charge (I know, I know, Samsung) are equally worth a look. The X2, too, unless you like ROMing or the PenTile screen bothers you.

Rumour has the Droid 3 landing sometime in early June, and the Bionic at some indeterminate point after that.

Actually if you don't care about 4G, the Dinc2 is a great phone. Without 4G, Its like a Thunderbolt that doesn't force close 30 times a day.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

In my stores right now the Dinc2 is by far the best seller and has lowest return rate. Its a drat good, functional phone. If 3G is fast enought for you but pass on it because Dual Core, you're just being stupid.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Ironic since I am doing really well with Sprint, but Cellular Sales reached out to me asking for an interview, and I never decline interviews. Since I'm likely moving in a few months, could be nice timing anyway. I've heard nothing but good things about them, but just checking here to see if anyone has personal experience with them?

No personal experence but have seen a ton of bad things about them in the Verizon employee forum over at HoFo.

You don't get a job with them. You become an "indipendent contractor" so they can dodge taxes and having to pay healthcare and unemployement insurance. You need to get a Tax ID number, and you are also on the hook to pay your taxes quarterly yourself. You will need to file as a business, since essentually you are. I'm pretty sure it 100% commission.

I have heard you can make a lot of money with them if your very good work a shitload of hours, but that is some shady bullshit right there.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Can confirm pricing thats out there is whats going to be.

Have a feeling that "grandfathered" people will not be grandfathered if they switch from 3G to 4G or if they change platforms (BB, iOS, Android) because the system has different feature codes for each one, and traditionally grandfathering only works if none of the feature or plan codes change..

In other words, if you are holding out for something 4G, you better just suck it up and get one now.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Because Verizon has a history of forcing you on to new plans if you want to upgrade devices.

Too bad I can't because my upgrade is after July 7th.

Their loss, if they won't let me go 4G and keep unlimited data, I'm no longer a customer. Since my VZW account is bundled with my FIOS, I may have to re-evaluate packages there as well...

You should. I work for a VZW dealer and think these prices stink. Its greedy and overpriced. Only way anything will change is a customer revolt. People should get on planet feedback and twitter and start complaining.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

SpacedOut posted:

There isn't. Android, iOS, WiMo 7, & WebOS all use the same feature code, RIM has it's own code for BIS & yet another one for BES, & dumbphones also have their own unlimited data feature code.

descriptions the same, but I see a different 5 digit vision code in eroes for iOS.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

kstatix posted:

This is correct. Only RIM has the different feature code.

Ill look at a couple again today, but I am 95% sure they were different. Its just the have the system smart enough to grab the right one automatically already. Not sure if they will consider that a "plan change" or regardless.
As usual, no one knows for sure inside Verizon.

I know for sure if you don't have an unlimited plan on a 4G phone before the 7th, you aren't getting one after.

It really sucks for us in the sales channels. They are already bitching about new adds, people are already bitching about pricing, this will just drive people to Sprint and TMob.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Aurium posted:

In short, yes. It's Verizon's policy, along with at&t and Sprint, that new customers cannot sign up for month to month service.

This is not true at all. You can sign up for Month to Month for over a year now.

I just had another meeting today, and they are saying that 3G > 4G will not force you to lose unlimited data.

BUT, having been in this game for 15 years, I will believe it when I can process the transaction and have it work, and even then I want to see that scenario in writing specifically.

Another thing I took from this meeting is they really are going to push the whole "exchange requires $44.99" bullshit on platforms other than blackberry.

Its stupid though...if like they claim 90% of users use less than 2GB, why do this in the first place? There aren't any issues with capacity anywhere..

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

The Pre has a boatload of issue with GPS on both Sprint and Verizon. Apparently VZ nav on it works fine....Some of the pre community that hasn't jumped ship like to blame Verizon.

But it works fine on WebOS 2.0, which HP elected not to offer for the Plus even though the developer units were Plusses with 2.0 and tons of hackers are running 2.0 on Pre Pluses and Sprint Pres...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Its pretty much speed, aGPS can get a lock in about 3-5 seconds.

GPS on most phone goes into a sleep mode anyways 90% to save battery.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Man, I didn't realize the 500 MSG Allowance + UNL IN MSG plan option wasn't available anymore and rolled into that 450Minutes+Text plan that makes it $10 more a month now :smith:

You can still get it. Just order the 450 minute plan and look under features for the $10 txt plan.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it looked like the G2x was going to be great, but it's been fumbled. The Ally on Verizon wasn't anything to write home about either. The Revolution isn't a "with Google" device and is saddled with Bing. Due to the LTE radio, i'm not hopeful for custom roms on that phone anytime soon either.

So, really, to me the Revolution might as well not exist right now. It doesn't do anything better than the other two LTE phones that Verizon has and it's had its Google experience screwed with.

Having used all 3, its the best of them, really. The Thunderbolt is really, really buggy. The charge is just plain slow.

The Revo is the most stable of the 3, gets bettery battery life than the T-Bolt, and doesn't run dogshit slow like the charge. Bing can be overcome quite easily as long as you don't sperg out on it being there.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have a problem with my Verizon ENV3 I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with. Sometimes when a friend with a Blackberry has texted me the messages have shown up with just "No Content" in them and my phone turns off when I try to read it. The latest time this has happened my phone turned off immeadiately upon recieving the message and it continues to turn itself both off AND back on again over and over without me doing anything to it.

I've tried taking the battery out, I've deleted the no content messages during the few seconds my phone stays on, and I can't figure out how to stop this from happening and get my phone to stay on for more than a couple seconds. It's been doing this for over an hour and the chime it makes when turning itself back on will haunt my dreams forever.

The Env3 is one of the buggiest feature phones we have ever had. whats your firmware version? Its under settings, phone info...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

im willing to bet he owes money on it, thats why its still tied up

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

See response below, but it isn't about cost, Verizon only has so much capacity at 700MHz. It doesn't matter if you have the money to build more towers, if you max out on your spectral assets at that frequency well you're SoL. To give you general numbers:

Verizon: 40MHz of spectrum
AT&T: 40MHz of spectrum
Sprint: 120 MHz of spectrum.

Am I biased because I sell Sprint? Probably, but having a lot less spectrum with a ton more users means something has to give. I'll be the first to say I figured Verizon speeds would have slowed down by now and from what i understand they haven't, but to Verizon's credit they always seem adamant about having the coverage/speeds they advertise, which leads to:

Interesting thought process on the PR aspect. Its interesting how Verizon's marketing is so heavily on being the best network, and the steps they could be taking to get there.

Its 40MHZ coast to coast, and all in the same band, AND thats just 700mhz LTE, AND they OWN it. Sprint's is all over the spectrum, most of it isn't adjacent, so no help with speeds there, much of it is over 2GHZ which is awful for mobile communications, and they only have as little as 10 MHZ in some places, and they don't even have 100% control of it all.

The reason for the tiers on Verizon is simple, out of touch, greedy corporate types decided upon them, nothing to do with bandwidth limitations.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

In my trials of all 3 4G phones, the Charge far and away gave me the least issues with battery life.

It would easily get me through the day no problem. T-Bolt was a charge 3 times a day affair, my Revo gets about a 3/4s of the way there.

This isnt a lot of talking, but 4G/GPS/Wifi/BT on, lots of checking email, Plants VS Zombies on the toilet, cardio trainer while biking.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

People have pointed out that the model number is consistent with phones and not tablets so it's looking like it could be a phone.

It will be completely awesome if Verizon gets a superphone like that before the holiday season, it's been a long time since they've been on top for devices.

Its a phone, I can say that for sure. Anything more and I can get into trouble.. :)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to pull the curtain for a second....

*228 49% of the time is used as a placebo to get you off the phone/out of the store. the other 49% its used because it forces a reboot on (most) phones when finished, which is what you needed to do to begin with, but people don't like hearing "turn it off and on again"

2% of the time, it updates the PRL. It really doesn't change that often in significant ways....it doesn't "add new towers" as any new towers in your area are going to be using the same SYSID as the old ones.

And yes, *228 is useless on 4G, as the PRL is updated on the fly as needed.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Any battery can leak and explode, regardless of what form factor its in.

The answer has been stated, its all about size.

Most phones in the AMPS days, even the propitiatory ones, were simply a plastic housing around a bunch of AA,AAA or even AAAA cells wired together. Problem with that is, literally fitting a round peg in a square hole, you have a lot of wasted space around the cells.

So they started to make cells that were close to AAA form factor, but flat, so they could shrink the battery packs.

Then Li-Poly came about, and allowed them to cheaply make a battery in any form factor they needed, and the battery can be squeezed into whatever leftover space they had after the electronics were stuffed in.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's pretty funny. Makes me wonder:

Do they still require original proof-of-purchase for phones that have been on the market for less than a year? More specifically, if the device serial number says it was part of a manufacturing lot < 1 year old, there shouldn't be any quesiton as to whether the warranty has expired yet or not.

My Store got stuck with a defective D2G that was a display phone and we couldn't send back to the vendor because we had it too long.

I did the online RMA thing, sent it in, and got a refurb back from them in less than a week. No Proof of purchase required. This was less than a month ago.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

digitizer replacement on a droid 2 is not something i'd recomend to anyone.

Even the guys who do it all day screw up around 1 in 10.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

So the "world phones" Verizon sells have a Verizon/Vodafone SIM in them to support GSM roaming. Have they combined this at all with the SIMs used for LTE yet?

More specifically: My Thunderbolt does not support GSM roaming. But If I were to take the SIM out of an LTE phone, put it in a GSM phone, and went overseas, would it roam on whatever GSM networks Verizon had agreements with (presumably Vodafone)?

My GSM phone at least recognizes the LTE SIM and can see my Verizon phone number, but obviously doesn't get any service because why the hell would Verizon have a GSM roaming agreement with T-Mobile or AT&T in the US. But would it get service in a Vodafone operated territory overseas, or do you still need to go to Verizon and rent some temporary SIM & phone if you don't have an "official" Verizon world phone?

No, they haven't established an LTE world roaming system as of yet. You will need a Verizon/vodaphone GSM SIM to roam globaly, and quite honestly, its a heck of a lot cheaper to pickup a prepaid SIM from whatever county you are visiting, you wont have the same number, but we are talking about a huge price difference.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

JayKay posted:

Quick question concerning activation:

I just ordered a cheap VZW Palm Pre 2 to play around with. Due to the fact I have a Thunderbolt at the moment, will I be able to swap ESN's online and then just *228 the Pre?

Also, if I decide to switch back to my TB down the road (which will not be used/airplane mode/etc while the Pre 2 is active) again will I be able to just swap out ESN's on VZW.com or will I need to take it into the store? I'm assuming since the SIM card is tied to my line, I shouldn't have to get it replaced if I want to reactivate the phone.

There is about a 30 day period where your sim will be ok, but after that, you will need a new sim.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

I'll have mine on Monday.

We have orders not to sell any until the 8th or else. and the IMEI will be blocked in the activation system.

But when you have an already activated 4G sim card... :)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

My supplier screwed me, but i hope to have one tommorow. We did get the dummy units in and its a perfect size, feels good in your hand.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

So.....anything else 4G feels like an absolute brick compared to this thing. Spec wise I dont think its too much lighter, but mentally, it feels like its half the weight of the revo or the t-bolt.

More to come as I play with it more.

Shipped with a 55% battery at 1:10pm, we we see how long it can go.

EDIT: 2158 on Quadrant.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 7, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

It launches the 8th. You wont see it until then.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

How's the screen look?

I'm so excited.

It looks the same as the Droid X2 to me... Fine, but some people might sperg that its not as colorful as the Charge.

Waaaay more responsive touch than the Revo I was using.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

You wont see anything less than $299.99 in print anywhere for the Bionic for a while. Verizon has a MAP (minimum advertised price) requirement on it for a few months at least.

You might see it in store, but not in any print ads.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I just got back from Costco and that is indeed the deal they have. $279 2y contract with that full list of goodies. He showed me the printout.

Oh, and my Costco store is only getting 5 (and they haven't even arrived yet, they are expected before tomorrow though.) I'm going to be really annoyed if I can't manage to snag one.

I don't doubt the price, its just you wont see it in any print ads.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Having used it for a day now, I have to say I am plesantly suprised with the UI.

BUT...I can't stand that you can't change the launcher to a vertical scroll instead of that stupid horizontal one. (or at least I can't find where to change it) I'd rather not run a 3rd party launcher, but I might have to.

The screen looks fine, I find netflix a little dark for video, but otherwise looks great. The whole pentile thing is a bit overblown IMHO, 90% of the people who bitch about it wouldn't be able to tell in a double blind test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

Sadly, Verizon has jack poo poo for 4G phones with a hardware keyboard coming down the pipe. There's scant rumors that the Samsung Stratosphere (a variant of the Samsung Epic 4G) is on its way out in a few months. But it's definitely a "mid-range" device as it has a processor that's about a year old, 5MP camera, and other mediocre things like that.

It's not rumor. It's coming, should be out before the end of september. Its a Samsung Epic 4G with wimax ripped out and LTE shoved in.

That being said 90% of the people we see upgrading off the OG Droid all say the same thing.. "I never use the keyboard" I see a lot of people longing for a keyboard on the internet, but in the sales channels, it doesn't show.

The Droid 3 was only popular at all because it was BOGO at Verizon.

• Locked thread