Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

Now, the one actual gripe I have about my Bionic is bluetooth behavior. It won't automatically connect to my car's factory head unit when I start it up. With my droid I just left bluetooth on all the time and when I started the car up, the phone would reconnect and everything would be good.

With my bionic, I have to go into the bluetooth settings after the car is started and tell it to connect to the car. After that, everything is fine. I just miss the auto-connect. Apparently, the Bionic isn't alone in this behavior as I've seen complaints for many phones.

Mine pairs fine with my Pioneer Head unit.

Let me guess, is this car a BMW or Mercedes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

boz posted:

Are there any ways to currently get out of a contact? Just had a baby so money is very tight.

1) Join the armed forces and get deployed.
2) Fake Own Death
3) Move to that radio free area in WV that those people who think they are allergic to wifi live.
4) Pay the ETF.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

If you can overcome your hatred of Radio Shack, they're flinging Bionics for $200 with a new contract or even renewals. They even offer accessory discounts. However, the extended battery does not seem to be available. The website configurator for renewals looks incredibly janky though, and may not be entirely trusted to keep your service plan in place the way you'd like it.

I wouldn't trust Radio Shack to change the batteries in my remote control let alone touch a Verizon plan.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Out of curiosity does Verizon make public it's plans for future service coverage?

Verizon has 3G coverage all around me except for my county. I'd consider switching to them, but that's not going to happen until I can get 3G coverage...

Are you in an ex-alltel area? Because prior to that, Verizon had 3G on 100% of its network, I'm suprised to hear of anyone who doesn't have at least 3G.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Verizon is ready to push LTE phones to budget customers. The finally announced the Pantech Breakout today. 4" Android 2.3 device with WVGA screen, 1ghz processor, and preinstalled 8gb microSD card.

It's $149 on two year contract and you get a $50 mail in rebate to bring it to $99.

Also, it's slightly amusing that a no-name Chinese company has managed to get a gingerbread LTE phone before the majority of the big name players managed to update their devices to gingerbread.

I just got some in...and I am pleasantly suprised.

The Screen is pretty nice, colors deep and blacks rich, the build quality seems pretty good, some people might not like the textured back, but I like it, as it holds up well to real world use instead of the shinny plastic crap they used on the Charge. It has external camera and voice buttons, as well as hard buttons ont he bottom, some might love that or hate it.

For the price I'd honestly have a hard time going with something 3G like the Dinc2 or the DX2 instead of this. I'd even got one of these before the Charge

EDIT: Just found something cool... A freaking HIDE app option in the stock launcher. Really guys? PANTECH has to be the only company who sees the value of this?

bull3964 posted:

I can say I've been in a few places where all I can get is 1x coverage. Hell, there's a bar less than a mile from my house that I go to that I can only get 1x (spotty 1x at that) whereas from my house I get full bars of LTE.

I really wish Verizon had a way to report holes of coverage.

Thats normal, like was said before, sometimes the 3G is on 1900MHZ which doesn't penetrate as well. But it sounded lik the other guy was in an entire area that had no 3G, which is unusual.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 19, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

No Alltel was never around here.

I'm in the pinkish blob...St. Louis is just off the top of the map.

That explains it...you're not on Verizon's native network. "Extended Network" means you are essentually roaming (for free) on a small regional providers network. Some of those little guys don't have 3G built up yet, OR the agreement they have with Verizon only allows you on the 1x Network.

It might be a while before you see 4G...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Hot on the heels of 26 new markets going live last week, Verizon is going to add 21+ more markets on Oct 21st.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/20/verizon-lights-up-4g-lte-in-21-new-markets-on-october-21/

The full list isn't out yet to see where the additions are, but this is seriously impressive how aggressive the rollout is.

Say what you will about the marketing guys over at Verizon, the people in charge of the network team are far and away the best in the business.

AT&T has JUST started lighting up a few "test" cities. They are at least 3 years behind at this point, hell, MetroPCS has a more extensive LTE network than AT&T at the moment.

I wonder how far the LTE buildout would be if Obama hadn't pushed back the DTV transition and Verizon would have had another 6 months head start.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 20, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Its partially that, but a lot of it has to do with where they have the updated backhaul in place. There are several towers already wired up and set to go, but they can't flick the switch because the backhaul to the tower is too drat slow.

Getting the bandwidth to support multiple 12mpbs connections on top of all the voice and 3g data traffic can be difficult in some areas, and its not always the remote ones that are the difficult ones..

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

WaffleStomp posted:

Any guesses on how quickly the 4S will sell out at the Verizon stores? I won't be able to pick one up on the 14th until 5pm or so, and I'll need to visit a store to hop onto a family plan.

Expect Apple to create tons of artifical demand by keeping supplies limited, or at least tons of rumors about said limited supplies, but I doubt you will have any trouble getting one unless you live in NY or the Bay Area.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Laranzu posted:

Turns out my SIM card just went bad.

We are seeing this alot lately. Lots of sim cards crapping out for no reason...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

On Bionics in particular?

Any 4G device..

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

I'll have Rezounds on Tuesday it looks like.

Which is good because my Bionic is getting the "no internet" issue constantly now.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

I have a tough decision to make today..

I really like HTC. But the T-Bolt was huge letdown, but this thing screams.

On the other hand, god drat, this Razr is sexy.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 8, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Having played with both now...I am going to pop my Sim in the Rezound. The Razr is going to be limited quantities for a little while, and I'd rather sell it then use it. The Razr seems a little too glossy, and that would drive me nuts. I do like the styling on the Razr though...there are definite call-backs to the old flip phone's design.

Also, The Razr's box has this weird, almost Fuzzy coating on it. Its kind of neat, but a bit of a waste IMHO.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

maverick99 posted:

I'm still on the fence right now into which one to get. My main concern with the Razr is that it might be a little to wide, and the Rezound seems like it is the perfect size. Then again, the thickness of the Razr is extremely enticing. Thoughts?

The Rezound is no porker by any means. Its about as thick as the thinnest part of the Bionic. It feels really nice to hold.

The Razr on the other hand is off-putting on how light it is. First thing I instinctively did when I opened the box I was looking for the battery to put in it because its so light...Of course, I can't because its non-removable.

I wouldn't rule out the Razr for its width. It doesn't feel any wider than the Rezound, its nicely tapered on the edges.

I find the display on the Rezound crisper and a bit more colorful than the Razr, plus I just like the Sense UI customizations. Lack of a standard HDMI port is a bummer though.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can anyone recommend a specific feature phone I could get for cheap used somewhere? My mom's new car has Bluetooth sync but her Knack doesn't. Literally her requirements are "easy to use" and "Bluetooth".

LG Accolade. Should be able to find these around for cheap.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Just got an email stating the the double 4G Data promo is only for people who activated after 10/25.

Which is complete bullshit. If you missed out on unlmited and bought before the 25th, don't take no for an answer if they try to keep you from getting the new promotion. Switch to a dumbphone and then switch back if you have to.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I called Verizon and told them I wanted a different phone. I have an X2 on its 3rd replacement.

They're sending me a Droid 3. I'm so happy to ditch this piece of poo poo phone. My friends Droid 3 is blazing fast compared to my x2 and he says it hasn't randomly rebooted in weeks.

You do realize they have the same processor, right?

therealjon_ posted:

Is the Bionic a good phone or am I going to have disconnect issues with data? My OG Droid is getting dead on me.

Some people see this problem, some don't. fix is on its way. Seems to happen less if you leave Wifi on all the time.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Are you sure you can give it back? Usually you have to pay the fee no matter what.

A lot of these places will take the equipment back if it isn't trashed instead, because the actual success rate on collecting these secondary ETFs is pretty low.

Here is how it works for anyone who sells Verizon Wireless who isn't Verizon.

1) Buy the phone at its full price, example.. I pay $619 for a Razr.

2) Sell the phone at a massive loss, will make it back on the rate plan commission.

3) Customer has to keep service for at least 180 days, or Verizon will take the rate plan commission back.

4) Verizon collects ETF from customer regardless, and does not share anything with retailer.

So in other words, Verizon LOVES it when people cancel in less than 6 months, as they got paid service, collect an ETF witch is supposed to exist only to recover the equipment subsidy, then ALSO gets to chargeback that equipment subsidy, so they are out no money at all.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 16, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

Don't believe it. Samsung is a beautiful company, Verizon is an evil carrier. Samsung delivered the GSM version on time, so I don't think it is only their fault for the Verizon delay, right? I know there were rumors Verizon wasn't happy with the LTE radio performance. Has that rumor been contradicted since then? Any other reasonable rumors about the cause of the delay? Or if it is some production problem or something, why did the GSM version get out on time? Do we know how different the hardware is? Is it really only the radio being switched out (and bigger internal memory) or is there more to it that could hold everything up?

Have you actually used a Charge, Fascinate or Continuum?

The problems with all three of them IS Samsung. Nice hardware, lovely, lovely software. Verizon doesn't force the godawful Touchwiz UI on anyone.

Bing, CityID Backup assistant, Let's Golf, ETC are annoying but none of these can account for the bugs and the lovely user exerence.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

My Vendors are saying the 15th.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Well the 300mb (not 500) plan is perfect for many Blackberry users...

The argument is there it isn't a smartphone either, but alas.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Just got the call from corporate.

Nexus launches Friday.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

waffle iron posted:

Some websites have indicated a Thursday afternoon soft launch. Is that going to be more of a try and get lucky deal?

Most stores will likely have them in stock on Thursday. You might be able to get a salesperson to sell you one.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Got the email earlier, wasn't 100% sure if it was just indirects or company wide, so I didn't want to be the bad news guy.

They have been having sporadic problems with the SIM activation server and random batches of SIM cards lately, and these past few days the problem got worse.

I think they decided to push the launch back until they have the issues sorted out.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Droid-life reporting that they received 2 mails saying Friday isn't happening. gently caress.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/07/galaxy-nexus-no-longer-launching-on-december-9/

Anyway, I'm going to be getting the GNex whenever it drops. But I've currently got a Thunderbolt with a 4G SIM. My plan is to give my Thunderbolt to my dad, but can he use my SIM, or will he have to get a new one at the store?

He will need a new one. You CAN use a sim cutter and cut the fullsize down if you want to, for your nexus.

bull3964 posted:

If it gets delayed again, it will probably be due to the network issue that the Razr is having right now.

This is especially true if the Galaxy Nexus uses a microSIM like the razr. I know the GSM version uses a regular SIM, but I've seen at least one reference to microSIM for the LTE Galaxy Nexus.

Its definitely a MicroSim.

bull3964 posted:

It may be simply a batch issue. All their current microSIMs came together with the Razr launch and something may have happened in the system related to them.

I think the only thing on Verizon to use a microSIM previously was the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I doubt they sold many of them.

The thing is, if they determine they have to replace a ton of them, and the Galaxy Nexus uses the microSIM, they may not have enough microSIM inventory to launch the new phone.

Stratosphere does as well, but thus far I have not seen any with issues. We had a weird issue with the Charge a few months back, a series of specific cards didn't like the phone and would go bad in a few minutes.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 7, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

At this point with the constant GNex delays, I'm strongly considering getting a RAZR.

According to specs, the only differences are

Processor (slightly, 4330 OMAP in RAZR, and 4360 in Nexus)
Camera (8MP in RAZR, 5MP in Nexus)
Screen (Pentile in RAZR, Awesomeness in Nexus)

Oh and ICS. Am I stupid for wanting this?

I wouldn't rule out the Rezound either. Faster Processor than the both of them and a 720p screen.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Prime is going to be the 15th, unless something else happens to delay it further.

I really hope my shipment comes in today and I can rub all your faces in it.

And the Double Data promo has no official end date yet, just "end of the year"

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

Great I'm off to go post some headlines and whip up the internet into another frenzy brb.

Do you have a source?

"Prime is coming out on the 15th, unless it doesn't."

2 Of my 3 vendors are giving that as the new launch date.

Don't start camping out in front of a store or anything, but that looks like its the next date.

Being in the industry I suppose its a good thing people are excited about the stuff you need to deal with to make a living, but I am honestly starting to feel sad for humanity about how worked up people get over a little box of plastic and glass.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 8, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Just got ship notification from one of my Vendors for the Nexus. Will be in tommorow. :dance:

Still no word from the official channels yet.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

He owns/works for a 3rd party retailer I think. Hopefully we will see these on the shelves on the 15th.

This.

Still looks like the 15th unless something else comes up.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

If the phone is new, you will get a 1 year warranty regardless. 2nd hand phones don't get this, BUT they don't always check the device's history, so you might be even able to get the warranty 2nd hand ones.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Voice isn't over LTE, but you are correct in that you can use LTE data while using voice.

The Galaxy Nexus uses a microSIM so you'll only be able to swap SIMs if you are coming from a Razr or a Stratosphere. That's also probably why some stores are running low, they may have depleted their supply last week when stores were replacing SIMs.

You can use a sim cutter, just like the iPhone one.

I don't like the build quality of this thing at all. But the software is awesome. But other than that, I'd take a Razr or a Rezound over this thing in a second. ICS is coming to both those phones too, guys. As far as I can tell, the only ICS phone that can do SVDO (voice and data at the same time over 3G) is the Rezound still.

SIM activation server is taking FOREVER this morning as well.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 15, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

sadus posted:

Sure Razr or Rezound will get ICS eventually, but what about the next one, and the next one after that? I got lucky with the OG Droid and CM7 and assumed all phones would be that well supported, but my wife's Droid X has let me down. This is still all too depressing: http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

This list is skewed.

Devour? Backflip? Ally? These were all low end crap phones from the start, that barely sold anything.

The Android Phones that sold well, like the Incredible 1 & 2 Droid X (and X2) have been pretty well supported. The big exception was the Fascinate.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

vote_no posted:

I'd say the Thunderbolt has been an exception as well.

They are trying, but its such a piece of crap it keeps having issues.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

They were certainly having issues with the security thing in my store too though, haha.

Its been a frigging nightmare. The back cover is so flimsy the drat thing goes off by just brushing against it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

KoB posted:

Thats weird, the one in my store was totally firm and mine doesnt have any issues.

Depends on the sensor used. If you have the single piece sensors, it wont go off, but then it makes the phone easy to steal. If you have the 2 piece ones, its super touchy.

I lined the inside of the battery cover with double sided tape, and that seems to have helped.

Ciabatta posted:

How have sales been? In the 45 minutes I was at my store, I saw 4 or 5 other people getting one, and I left just as the lunch time crowd seemed to be coming in. I guess maybe RAZR advertising vs. Nexus hype is a wash since the ads are so bad?

Decent. Lots of phone calls. We did have a waiting list. Inventory not going to be an issue with this one, for sure, though.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

So did I miss something and you're with Big Red now?

Edit for content: Verizon reps what is this horseshit about manufactuer warranties not able to be honored after an assumption of liability unless you purchase TEC? Is this some shady upsell on TEC, I've heard this from two different people now.

Will HTC/Samsung/Moto honor a warranty directly if I call the, and say "Hey my poo poo is broken."

Technically warranties aren't transferable. A lot of the time if you call in, they wont check though, and you wont have an issue.

You can also contact the manufacturer directly, but you will need to send in your phone and need other equipment to switch to while its out.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Holy crap. Hopefully this sends the message that people want "stock" Android.

Nope. It sends the message that an online vendor can sell a new phone at half price and get a lot of orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Tigertron posted:

Could you give me a little detail on how you activated your phone? I too have been sitting on my iPhone for two days now with the servers on the fritz. I found it wierd that I had Vodafone info preprogrammed, if this is an issue could you let me know what you did?

Its on Apple's end this time. They are sending the wrong Sim Policy to a bunch of Verizon bound 4S's, they are being loaded with the "Unlocked GSM" SIM policy, instead of the Verizon one.

If Apple has fixed the issue with your specific phones serial number, a complete wipe and restore from iTunes is supposed to fix the problem, but if they haven't fixed the Sim Policy the Apple servers send your phone upon activation, it will still think its an Unlocked GSM phone.

This fiasco and learning how a SIM unlock happens has confimed my suspicions that all the phones are identical until Apple tells the phone what it is supposed to be when it hits the activation server.

So a simple flip from an AT&T 4s to a Verizon 4s should be a change on Apple's servers just like it is when you unlock for international SIM cards, but I doubt Apple and the carriers will let you do that.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 30, 2011

• Locked thread