Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Does the thunderbolt have ice cream sandwich yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm actually curious since I used to own one, but I guess that answers my question :smith:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

My mom is considering the Note 2, but I've come to love the apple store support method. I live in LA, she lives in San Diego, so when she has problems with her iPhone I just tell her to take it to the apple store and they always take care of it. She hates going to the Verizon store, they're always trying to sell her new poo poo when she doesn't want it, so she's come to enjoy the apple store as well.

Basically if she buys it from a place like best buy and buys the insurance plan, can I just tell her to go back there when she calls me with a problem?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

She really, really likes the note so we are going that route. We will buy the best buy insurance plan so she can break it and still get support for 2 years, even if it is lovely support.

Outstanding issues:
-backup software? If she needs a replacement how do we restore her apps/data?
-visual voicemail? This is free for iPhones but Verizon wants to charge $3/month for it? Is there an app that can replicate this functionality?
-photo backup? iPhone has photo stream, does Samsung have a similar service that keeps photos, or do I have to setup Dropbox?

Can't think of any other issues coming from an iPhone.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Backup: The applications will restore automatically when activating the new device, and data will if the developer supports it. Hardly any developers support this, so if you want to back up data, you can either root and use something like Titanium Backup or you can use the ADB backup command.

Visual Voicemail: Google Voice does this and it's free. It's easy to use and works fine with Verizon.

Photo Backup: You can set all photos to go to a private Google+ album or to Dropbox or (I think) Picasa.

Can I ask why she's decided on the Note 2? Does she have poor vision or was she just sucked in by the Samsung Marketing Machine?
Poor vision. We just went to the Verizon store and I showed it to her and her reaction was "wow everything is so much clearer". I showed her the texting app and she loved the autocorrect bar, saying she hates how the iPhone doesn't do it. She also likes how you can search for contacts easier, her words not mine. Not sure what that means but it's her decision. She also loved the stylus. She is really bad at texting or doing things that require precise finger input. She also plans to use the stylus at work with excel and word documents on the big screen.

Basically it's the most excited I've ever seen her about technology, and it's probably because for the first time in years that she can actually see the screen!

iPhone is the best phone for me, this one seems the best for her, so I'm just trying to set it up so the things she likes about the iPhone carry over.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I've got a 4S on grandfathered unlimited data, how do I get a SIM card for an iPhone 5 I just bought in S-Mart? Can I just walk into the store and ask for one? Do I have to have the iPhone 5 on me, or can I get the SIM card before the phone gets here?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Can I go to a Verizon store and get an LTE sim card without having the actual LTE phone with me? My new phone is being delivered on Monday and I won't be able to get to a Verizon store for a few days afterwards, so I'd rather just go pick up the sim card this weekend.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Did you purchase it from Verizon? If so, it should come with one.

No, bought it used so I could retain unlimited.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

If you don't care about MotoMaker, apparently coupon code "vzwdeal" is good for a Moto X for free on contract.

Does it work off contract too? $400 for a brand new one would be pretty sweet.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone known if a Verizon iPhone 5 will work on any carriers in the UK? Hopefully with 4G.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Scroll down to A1429/CDMA. No dice for LTE in the UK. You should be OK on the GSM side, though, it's quad-band 3G.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

It looks like the CDMA version uses band 3, and so does EE according to Wikipedia. So in theory wouldn't there be *some* LTE on EE? Has anyone tried this? I wonder how good the coves his since it's only one band...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't paid attention to Verizon's shenanigans for a while but I'm curious, are there are current rumors of them getting rid of unlimited for month to month customers in the near future?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

I haven't heard any. Honestly, it seems like a great way to bleed a ton of customers to other carriers so I really doubt they'd do it.

Cool. Got 3/4 phones off contract, so I'd be at AT&T in a second. I had a 2nd phone for a year and comparing AT&T to Verizon, AT&T has so much better service in my area for some reason. It seems like AT&Ts LTE penetrates walls/concrete and stuff a lot better because in my office building and underground parking structure I'd have no service on the Verizon iPhone and solid LTE on the AT&T one. The only reason to stick around with Verizon is the unlimited.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

:siren: Holy poo poo. If the phone has ever been contracted it will remove unlimited regardless of what account it is on :siren:

Can you elaborate on this? If I buy a phone from SA-Mart that was purchased under contract (but sold to me halfway through the contract), I would lose unlimited?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

If I have a family plan with 3 unlimited lines, can 1 user still upgrade just their line (and give up their unlimited for a capped plan) while leaving the other 2 lines unaffected?

I know this used to be possible but I haven't kept up with the plan changes as of late.

Edit: also, is it still okay to buy used phones and keep unlimited? I remember reading something in this thread about phones that were bought under subsidy being "blacklisted" and removing unlimited from people who put them on their lines.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

My girlfriend actually asked me when the "I6" is coming out last night and my head did a full rotation and she started laughing. She's learned all the phone trolls.

Marry this one. She has a sense of humor about your phone sperginess.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone know if it's possible to go to the Apple store and get a new iPhone, switch to the 2GB/line plan in-store (assuming they can't do the 6GB plan in-store), then call Verizon afterwards to get the 6GB? I want to switch my unlimited plan to the to 6GB promotional plan but I want to just go to the Apple store to get the phone rather than call Verizon and wait a month before I get it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

What about that line still being on contract, is there any way around that? Would they be likely to let me out of it and switch everything over to the new pricing, since it's so close to the end date?

This is what I'm wondering too. I'm going to switch over my account (3 unlimited lines, 1 2GB line) to the More Everything plans with the double data. The 2GB line is under contract until December, so I'm assuming it'll be the full $40/mo (rather than the discounted $15/mo) until December, then it'll drop to the $15/mo no-contract rate.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm switching my account over to the more everything plans through Verizon's website. 3 of my 4 lines are month-to-month so the access charge should be $15 instead of $40, no? They're all showing as $40 and I don't see a way to change that on their site, do I have to call them to have them change it after I sign up for the plan?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, it's weird, it's showing my two paid-for smartphone lines as $40, and the on-contract home phone line as $20 when I expected it'd be $40 (being a "basic device"). Wouldn't pull the trigger if I have to pay $40/line; I'd be paying less to keep unlimited.

Also interesting that no data bucket beyond the 15GB 30GB option is eligible for corporate discounts. If you're like me and carry a 22% discount, it'd basically cost you $50 to jump from 30GB to 40GB.

Wow, I didn't know that about the corporate discount thing, I guess that makes this easier. Did you call them to change the $40 phones to $15? I want to hear from someone who did this before I pull the trigger and lose 3 unlimited lines :shobon:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Boy am I glad I called first. The CS rep told me that the discount for month-to-month is only $10/mo per line. She assured me that the month-to-month discount is $10/mo no matter if your plan is 8GB or more than 10GB. That's definitely not what I understood the discount to be and really changes things on the economics of the More Everything plans for me.

Is the CS rep just wrong here? This is confusing as hell and honestly I'm less inclined to switch now if even their reps don't know what the gently caress is going on.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

hoobajoo posted:

She is wrong, the month to month discount is the same as the edge discounts.

I have called CS twice. First guy sounded like he was taking my order at McDonald's and told me "don't get rid of your unlimited, man, just like, enjoy it while you can, man." The second one was clearly incompetent and despite my insistence that she ask her manager to confirm the discount (which she did, allegedly), she still gave me the wrong answer. Neither of them knew that they had a double-data promotion going on, either.

How do I get a rep who knows what they're doing? What's the secret? I am nervous giving up unlimited and the lack of reliable information is not comforting :(

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

Verizon CS is such a poo poo show ugh

Finally got a decent rep on the 3rd try and everything is good to go. The $25 discount went through for the out-of-contract lines. Thanks for everyone's help, you guys know more than Verizon CS reps do. Now to get dat iPhone 6...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

What if she had a corporate discount too? Could be 20% off that $30 data plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone know if Apple Stores or Target can do the Edge upgrade?

• Locked thread