Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Once I get the Home Phone Connect and have had it for a while I will post a review. Also, it might be helpful to include a link to the old thread if someone wants to go over it (if I missed said link, I apologize).

The last thread was a great resource, thanks for doing this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone have any experience or opinion on the Motorola Droid Pro? My wife wants a droid with a keyboard that is not too huge, and that seems like an option.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Thanks ExcessBLarg! and dominator, she wants a smaller phone with a physical keyboard, so I will have to drag her in and have her try some out. She doesn't like swype too much - I have that on mine.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Swype is an interesting one. I personally love it, although mostly for reasons that have less to do with "Swyping." In short, even its biggest fans admit that Swype doesn't work well in all circumstances, and a lot of folks just outright hate it. I'd show her the SwiftKey X Beta and download the Gingerbread Keyboard on your phone (if you're still on Froyo), since those cover the gamut of alternatives.

My wife had a similar experience. She wanted a smallerish phone with a physical keyboard, so that's what we got, and these days she uses the Froyo (not even GB) on-screen keyboard since it's far more convenient and works well enough. Although it was a reasonable decision to make at that time, if the same scenario were to play out with today's devices, it probably would've been a mistake for her to go hardware. Perhaps that's still the answer for your wife. I guess knowing how it played out on our end is why I'm advocating a "try it out" route.

I had not thought of trying out other kb software, and I will do so. Thanks again man!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

What? The discount is going away? Sprint here I come.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Is there a 4G phone out now that compares to the Incredible? That is what I have now and I might be willing to give it to the wife if I can get a similar handset that does 4G.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

So, thank you thread. I upgraded my wife to a certified refurbished white iPhone for for $149 (getting in on the grandfathered unlimited data plan for her) and added the Friends and Family for free just by asking.

:woop:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Bewildrbeast posted:

There was nothing said about an ESN on the auction, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the thing.
This is turning into an absolute bummer, I should have educated myself on this sort of thing before assuming it'd work.

I TOLD YOU to check the ESN in IRC Bew :(

Sorry, that sucks.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

Bailing on my Nexus today. I never really liked it to be honest. I find the stock ICS kinda, meh. And there aren't enough places for me to use google wallet to care about NFC at this point.

Connection issues are getting worse. And Battery life has been horrendous for some unknown reason for the past 2 weeks.

Now just need to decide if I want to take a Rezound or a Maxx from inventory. I hate the Motorola UI, but I like the idea of the battery life.

This makes me a little hesitant to get a Nexus. We have pretty decent LTE here from what I understand, and I have excellent wifi at home and at work, so my DI doesn't usually run out of battery until the end of the day. I have had the low disk space issues for a while, which was part of the reason I was getting ready to upgrade. I suppose I could try a CM7 or 9 ROM to see if that helps out for a while.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Costco has the GNex for $219 with their free accessory kit and a mail in rebate for a free extended battery. Nice phone so far!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Decided to just get a drat Nexus. I called the store and they have them in stock. I was just going to drive up there and buy one, but I figured I'd ask you guys if there's anything I can do to get it cheaper or get free stuff like an extended battery.

e: I am a current Verizon customer and I received a text from them that says I'm eligible for an upgrade. If I log on to their site under my account and look at phones it shows the Galaxy Nexus available to me for $300.

I got mine at Costco for $220 and they have a mail in rebate for a free extended battery/cover. Cheapest I saw.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

If you're anywhere near a Costco, you might want to check them out too. I believe they charge around the same amount as Amazon, but they usually have a deal going where you get some free accessories too (including an extended battery if I remember correctly?). Only catch it that they won't see the early upgrade either, but it sounds like you don't particularly mind waiting.

I got my GNex for $219 with a mail in rebate for a free extended battery, so yeah. Do that. It rules.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

hooah posted:

If I get/make a call before 9:01 pm and it carries on past that time, does all of the call count against my minutes, or only the portion before 9:01?

All of the time.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Rooted and installed 4.0.4 tonight, the 4G seems a little easier to connect to now and I no longer have to do stupid disables/re-enables when transitioning from 3G to 4G and back. Thanks for the advice!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I'm thinking of posting my Droid Incredible in SA Mart, what do you think is a fair price for a recent refurb in mint condition with case, 16gb microsd and charger?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

That was my thought, I have seen some on eBay and Craigslist for $150 and more so I was wondering what you all thought.

Thanks!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

I came from a very reliable phone (HTC Droid Incredible) and the GNEX is on par with it as far as stability and surpasses it 4 fold as far as performance.

This is me, right here. I got the extended battery for free from a Costco mail in rebate, and the 4.0.4 update is pretty awesome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I just got an email promo from VZW for a free Droid Charge. If you are looking, you might want to check your inbox.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

waffle iron posted:

I got that email and I have a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4S on my account. Confused as why they'd think I wanted a Charge on a new line.

Me too, except my wife only has the 1Phone 4. Grandfathered unlimited data rules tho!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I think the general consensus for a phone that will cause the least problems is the iPhone. It has lots of apps, great battery life, and all up-to-date software. The in-store support from Apple Stores is top notch and their Applecare+ warranty is a solid deal. She'll also like the accessories selection.

Buy a phone for your wife, not a phone for you to play around with that your wife uses.

This is really good advice. I got my wife an iPhone, and as a casual user she loves it. The Camera, Facebook, Texting, Calling and Battery Life are all good.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone have an old LG Voyager laying around? I'd like to make sure it has a clean ESN but will pay cash!

(If this is not ok in this thread please let me know)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I have a titanium voyager.

Why would you want one?

PM sent

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Two people have reported receiving IMM76K.
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/01/one-lucky-dl-reader-receives-anroid-4-0-4-imm76k-update-on-verizon-galaxy-nexus/

Baseband appears to be newer than the original leaked 4.0.4 as well.

Looks like I'll be restoring to stock tonight. Wooo

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

When I powered my GNex on this morning, it displayed that Android was updating. However, I am running the older leaked 4.0.4 and have been for a while. Did I just miss out on the official update? :ohdear:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I went back to stock and flashed the leaked 4.0.4 OTA, and it still seems to suck rear end when transitioning from LTE to 3G and back again. If I leave it on CDMA only my extended battery lasts all day, on hybrid it seems to get warm to the touch and runs down quickly. I am starting to wonder if this is one of the hardware issues others have seen or if it is just that LTE in the Portland, OR area sucks.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

yamdankee posted:

The 'official' IMM76K is what you're using? I've been tempted to do that myself because of all the fixes and battery life drastically improving.

Yup, and it has not done a lot for me so far. I am going to test it this week and see if it was just me running around over the weekend, I should be in a decent area when at work.

I dropped my first call in forever after I flashed this weekend, so I am not overly optimistic.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I turned on LTE this morning at 07:41 AM. I am now at 14% and I never left the building today, I have been connected to the wifi here at work and this is horrible.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

traveling midget posted:

If you have been on wifi the entire time your LTE radio has been off.

I agree that is how it should work; however, when I am just on CDMA my battery shows none of this usage at all and that's literally the only thing I changed.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

What is your Wi-Fi sleep policy set to?

My default is Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep, I have never changed that. Am I sounding insane that the only thing I changed is enabling LTE and my extended battery is getting destroyed?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's why I was wondering. Unless its fighting just to maintain a tower signal while in LTE mode, I can't imagine a situation where having it in that mode would cause excessive drain without switching back off of wifi.

What if you turn mobile data off while in your wifi zone. Would that make a difference?

I am going to leave it in CDMA only today (the only change I will make), and will report my battery status before I leave work today.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

74% at the end of the day today.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Galler posted:

Try out SwiftKey X Keyboard as an alternative keyboard. I miss that app every time I have to type something on my iPhone.

I have that on my GNex and HP Touchpad, it's my absolute favorite keyboard app.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

IMM76K finally came through for me yesterday, too. I updated at about 9 am CST with 90% battery left pre-update. Here I am, 24 hours later, with 50% battery left. I left Wi-Fi on all day, as well. Screen was on auto brightness and I used the phone for a couple of hours throughout the day. I don't want to get hopes up, but my battery is lasting at least three times as long as it was with 4.0.2.

Edit: also gonna note that the screen dims after a few seconds, even if brightness is set to max. Finally time to show off this beautiful screen without using half of the battery.

LTE enabled or just on CDMA mode?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

CDMA. LTE isn't in my area.

CDMA I have life for about two days. LTE and I am done after about 8 hours.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Dumb phones with qwerty keyboards require them i think.

There are phones like the VX10000 that do not require data plans.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I'm going to be on a vacation of sorts, and where I am staying does not have WiFi coverage. I have a GNex running a JB Rom with the grandfathered unlimited data plan, what should I do/use to turn that into a hot spot?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Native Android tethering should just work. Failing that, any of the 3rd party apps in the Play Store should work fine. Just find the one that works best for you.

Also note: This is not really in compliance with the Verizon Block C decision by the FCC. The decision specifically excluded unlimited users.

Nice there is a check box under settings, I'll try that.

bull3964 posted:

Which JB rom are you using? If you are using Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast, it's as simple as a checkbox as he bypassed Verizon's hotspot check. So it's the native functionality in android.

I'm also going on vacation next week and I just tried it out last night with my Nexus 7 and it worked flawlessly. I was up and running in under a minute.

I am on Razor's Jelly Bean 2.6, been super happy with it. Will test tonight when I get home.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Well, the built in Tethering & portable hotspot for this particular ROM seems to not want to work very well. Anyone have any app suggestions - GNex running Razors Jelly.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've been using FoxFi pretty successfully on my SGS III, but (as always) YMMV.

Cool thanks

right arm posted:

Stop using terrible hacked together ROMs. If you want a good stock ROM, then use this. The stock tethering app works fine in that.

If you don't want to switch, then this has worked fine for me when I was on stock ICS.

I've not had any crashes or issues at all, but I will check that ROM out when I am back. Thanks for the other recommendation as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

x-posting: http://support.verizonwireless.com/system_update/galaxynexus.html

Jelly Bean: "Software Update: Galaxy Nexus by Samsung - Coming Soon!"

• Locked thread