Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
The Droid X2 has been confirmed for May 26, with online pre-orders starting tomorrow. Though at this point I can't fathom anyone locking themselves into a 3G phone for the next two years, and no frontcam is kind of a head-scratcher.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20063896-251.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

So my screen on my OG Droid cracked about a week ago, but it's been working fine up until just now - the display simply just stopped working altogether. Asurion wants to charge me $99 to replace it for the exact same model, which IMO is completely ludicrous. I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I wanted to wait until Verizon released an LTE phone that I actually liked. Am I basically poo poo out of luck right now, unless I find a cheap used phone to use until I'm ready to upgrade?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Last I heard, Asurion didn't have any OG Droids to give out?

I called yesterday to file a claim and made sure to ask whether my phone would be replaced with the exact same device, to which the agent replied yes. I asked whether there was any way to have it replaced with a Droid 2 instead since I'd be paying such a high premium, and she said no, not as long as they have original Droids in stock.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I'm gonna try to re-file the claim online, since apparently they show you what your available replacement options are when you do it that way. Thanks for the help folks.

Bambi fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 20, 2011

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Yep, just filed a claim online and they'd be replacing it with an OG Droid. Damnit :sigh:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Yaaay!

Mighty Horse posted:

Have a feeling that "grandfathered" people will not be grandfathered if they switch from 3G to 4G or if they change platforms (BB, iOS, Android) because the system has different feature codes for each one, and traditionally grandfathering only works if none of the feature or plan codes change..

In other words, if you are holding out for something 4G, you better just suck it up and get one now.

Fuuuck!

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I assume there's basically no chance that the rumor of the Bionic coming around July 4 is true?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Pardon my ignorance, but what's direct fill?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

SpacedOut posted:

Direct fill (aka Direct Fulfillment) means an item will be shipped directly to a customer's residence or workplace. In the case of the Droid 3, it's probably due to (perceived) high demand, so they're making them available as soon as they hit Verizon's warehouse before they can even get them out to retail stores.

Awesome - thanks!

One thing I've yet to see confirmed is how much memory the D3 will have.

Bambi fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 2, 2011

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

According to a Verizon salesman I talked with, the grandfathering also won't hold if you upgrade from a 3G phone to a 4G phone (such as what you describe). So if you want the Bionic, you'd have to get a Charge, Thunderbolt, or Revolution.

What the heck? That runs counter to everything else we've heard so far.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Or just root the phone and tether without paying? I think $30 a month for tethering is crazy.

I hit 3+GBs on my Evo this month. I couldn't do a cap.

Why does it have to be rooted to tether? I run PdaNet on my unrooted OG Droid without any issues that I know of.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

bull3964 posted:

So, if the Droid 3 ends up being good, the Bionic should as well since it's nearly the same phone, just minus the keyboard and plus the LTE radio.

And double the memory, no? Is the screen resolution the same as the D3?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I don't think there are any LTE equipped keyboard devices even rumored at this point so I think you are probably out of luck there.

Isn't there an Epic 4G clone coming?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I've been running the leaked Gingerbread update for my Droid 2 Global for about a week now and it handles like a dream, so much so that I will probably even skip over the Bionic and wait for the Droid Prime or something even further down the line. I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the new Blur is great.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

There's a leaked Gingerbread for the D2G? I thought it was only for the Droid 2.

Is it still rootable with Z4root?

I've never rooted a phone before (why are you looking at me like that? :() so I don't know, but you can check it out for yourself:

http://www.talkandroid.com/54724-droid-2-global-gingerbread-build-leaks/

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Bionic deal at Costco is just too good to pass up, but I'm not yet a member...I wonder whether I'd be able to go straight to the kiosk tomorrow, pick up a phone, and then hold on to it while I sign up for a membership?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I wasn't really sure where else to ask this so I'll just ask here:

Has anyone ever used cashforsmartphones.com, or does anyone know whether they're legit? I'm looking to get rid of my Droid 2 Global now that I got a Bionic, and I see some selling on eBay for under $200. Meanwhile, cashforsmartphones.com gave me an instant quote of $225 for it, which is more than I was expecting to get. Is there a catch? Are they going to lowball me once they actually have my phone? (It works perfectly and is in more-or-less perfect physical condition)

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Swype aggravates the hell out of me sometimes, like how turning off auto-capitalization doesn't affect proper nouns in the dictionary, or the word I. Let me type in all lowercase letters if I want to, god damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I have a vague memory of reading that Verizon sometimes sends free network extenders to people who live in areas with poor reception. Am I remembering this correctly, or is that something I just made up?

• Locked thread