Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

Can't he, in all likelihood, just keep paying $30/mo for his unlimited data?

Until his next upgrade I would imagine so.

My only complaint on capped internet is the style that AT&T does it (and Verizon llikely will do a similar format) of charging for buckets of data. I would prefer a Euro system where they just throttle after you hit your 200MB or 2GB cap (like TMobile is doing).

Would people rather pay more for unlimited? A lot of goons screamed bloody murder when Sprint raised data charges by $10 a month, but honestly curious which people would take? I think the perfect scenario is throttling, but it likely makes carriers the least money so i wouldn't expect it.

I use 2GB of data a month on my phone, and fiance as a non-heavy user uses 1GB. I really wouldn't enjoy being on a data capped plan myself I will admit. That being said, I think the days when we could just tether off our phones for home internet without getting charged extra are waning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dirk Diggler posted:

Need someone who works for Verizon or is very familiar with account transfers to answer this one. Basically a couple of years ago I got an account with Verizon, and then a few months later the company I work for added my phone to their corporate account. It's been this way for the past couple years.

In January of this year I was issued a Vortex when my phone took a dump, but somehow they got these without a data plan (how the gently caress did they do this? I don't know). Last month one of my colleagues managed to rack up around $500 in charges, at which point the company decided issuing smartphones without data plans was maybe a bad idea. Also our IT staff says they cannot secure these phones (translation: we can't lock them down the way we want to.) The phones they want to issue us now are these (Samsung Haven for those who don't want to follow the link, basically granny's 1st phone).

I realize the Vortex is not the best of smartphones, but I have really grown to like having a smartphone over the past few months. The only way I see to keep it is to take the account back and just pay for it myself. The problem is I don't think my company will let me out from under their thumb. I will find out tomorrow one way or the other.

So my question is, can I do an Assumption of Liability and transfer the phone & number back to my control on my own, without my company being involved? The online rep I talked to said yes, but I suspect she may not know all the details involving corporate plans (she did admit as much). My other option would be to start a new account with Verizon on my own and then just turn my current phone in and tell them to shove it, but then I would lose my number.

I think tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

Why not just use the company phone for calling, and get a LG optimus V off virgin mobile? $25 a month, just use it for internet only. Coverage wont be quite as good, but still could get you the equivalent phone cheaply.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sicarius posted:

Anyone know of any 3G outages? I have no service here in Tennessee at the moment... all apps are reporting no connection to the internet on my Droid X.

If it's not the network, then I may have a phone issue. It was working about 2 hours ago, and I haven't done anything with the phone since. I did a battery pull reset just to make sure it wasn't something goofy.

Are you in Nashville? We apparently just had a major storm, and those tend to knock out signal and towers sometimes...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Professorbx posted:

Indeed. I remember telling my brother once that HTC could do no wrong, and when it came to WinMo, they made some GREAT phones for the day. The Shadow was a great example-it was a cheap candy bar Windows Mobile phone that could run circles around my brother's iPaq. Now though......

Can't speak for the Thunderbolt, but other than a known micro USB issue with the Evo HTC has a solid solid lineup on Sprint. Honestly, beyond the fact that every HTC phone I have personally owned has been great, my exchange/return rate on HTCs is easily half that of Samsung. LG is really good overall too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ironic since I am doing really well with Sprint, but Cellular Sales reached out to me asking for an interview, and I never decline interviews. Since I'm likely moving in a few months, could be nice timing anyway. I've heard nothing but good things about them, but just checking here to see if anyone has personal experience with them?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

serewit posted:

As a former Verizon employee who had to fix the innumerable issues that chucklefucks from Cellular Sales caused for customers, I would advise anyone thinking of working for them to run far, far away. Everything Mighty Horse posted is 100% spot-on from my conversations with them, and on top of that, they practice incredibly shady practices with their customers - anything to close a sale. I can't count how many times they would resell equipment that had been returned as new, for instance.

That answers that then. Weird thing is my friend loves working there, and is a pretty ethical Guy. He insists the best part is commissions getting split between everyone working at the time, so even if you have bad luck and get service questions all day, you still make money. That's how I loosely have my sprint store run, that way people just take care of the customer. Meh, sprints been taking care of me fine anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Data plans:
2GB –$30/month
5GB –$50/month
10GB –$80/month
If you would like to add tethering on to any of those packages, you can purchase 2GB of data at an additional cost of $20 per month.

If this is the case my job at Sprint just got so much easier, even with current Verizon people getting grandfathered in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Wow. Thank God I have unlimited data. I can't imagine how lovely it will be for Verizon sales reps to try and recruit new customers.

Customer "I saw a Verizon commercial that featured the Netflix app. Cool, I want service"

Sales rep "Cool, let's get it set up. BTW, you are limited to two gigs for $30/month. Okay?"

Customer "WTF? How much bandwidth does Netflix consume?"

Sales rep "Honestly, you are pretty much hosed. I recommend you run out of this store unless you want your phone to bankrupt you if you use it per our advertising, however I'm behind on my quota this month and truust me, you will be fine with 2 gigs!"

Wireless in the US is quickly becoming very hosed. Mobile innovation will suffer due to carrier hunger for dolla$$$ ya'll.

If you have an unlimited plan, death grip that bitch as you are a rare species...

Honestly selling for mobile stuff like that is easy, just explain wifi. If people are handling it on att then they will handle it. And honestly, I do have to say wireless right isn't Frickin cable internet. Verizon has great coverage, but they don't have the spectrum to support unlimited internet for a customer base that large. So really, either they cap internet, or we have daily outages.

My big complaint is the buckets, I think that is a ripoff. Just throttle like they do in Europe. Unfortunately buckets is way more money for them , so that is how it will have to go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Customer: Well, if I have to use Netflix on WiFi then, can I just forego the data plan and use a smartphone with voice service and WiFi data only?

Sales rep: No, of course not!

Love them options ....

Ha very very true.

Torael_7 posted:

Yes and between the small selection of companies available and the fact that many people don't really have a grasp on what a given amount of data actually equates to, they can continue to get away with it. :toot:

This plus with AT&T buying the only carrier that throttles instead of by the bucket, means America is screwed. Sprint is nice, but there are just a ton of people in rural areas that will only have one option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can someone link me to the article on Verizon discontinuing discounts on data add ons?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

FTFY

WP7 was way too late to the party. They flogged 6.1 and 6.5 too long and then brought out a phone with a feature set that's already been superseded by the other two major players, and the only unique features were only enough to roust a half-hearted 'meh' from anyone other than extreme MS-philes.

I'm not sure how long they're going to continue to flog WP7. If they want it to go anywhere, they need at least 1 feature that blows the other players out of the water for everyone. Zune and XBL are cool, but people who don't have an XBox really couldn't give a poo poo.

Xbox live really needs more features, as it is I don't see the point of it beyond messaging friends (which I can do via IM).

The OS is fast and certain people like it. They just have a big hurdle over the people who want Android/iPhone because their friends tell them to, and they need to at least equal features.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fnkels posted:

To anyone thats on the fence about hoping on Verizon, Amazon Wireless reduced the subsidized price of the Thunderbolt and the Revolution to $99 and $.01. I'm surprised they dropped the Revolution so much.. Is it really that unpopular?

Big Box will take a loss on certain phones because people will come in and buy multiples or decide on the pricier one. If they have one customer get a Revolution for himself and a Thunderbolt for his wife, Amazon just made the difference there.

Acrolos posted:

I would guess that the Revolution is forgotten because of how horrible every other Android phone they have made has been. My fiance had the Ally, and its the worst smartphone I've ever used...and I think that is currently their second best Android phone.

No manufacturer is perfect, but I would argue LG makes great smartphones overall. The Alley, however, would not be one of those great ones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Penguissimo posted:

Isn't the G2x also a disaster, software-wise? I think it makes sense to be cautious about LG until they prove themselves with at least one hit. They're sort of the new Samsung.

drat, you got me there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ManiacClown posted:

Just yesterday my wife got a new LG Cosmos Touch (after signing a new agreement, naturally). After charging it and getting Backup Assistant set up, she got in the tub, came out, and found either a deep scratch or a crack on the screen. The more I look at it the more I think it's a crack. The odd thing is we have no idea how it could have gotten there. Our kid was asleep and where it was, had one of our cats jumped up there it would have fallen on the floor.

She just got off the phone with Verizon and the guy's telling her she must have had it in her pocket or something, which makes zero sense because she was in the tub while this happened. My best guess is some sort of latent stress from temperature differences because it got to 92° here yesterday. What can we do?

Only thing against you I would say is that leaving a phone in the bathroom when showering or anything risks water damage, and any wireless person will likely point that out as a reason not to exchange it. And given how many dumbasses actually do crack their phones then try to exchange them, that tends to kill the system for being lenient on weird scenarios like yours.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Radio Nowhere posted:

My wife just upgraded her phone to a Thunderbolt from a Storm2, needless to say she's very happy. I noticed while we were buying her's 3 other people got Tbolts too. I asked if there has been increase in sales since the tiers announcement and it was a resounding yes. So there's punishment for Verizon's tiering, increased sales. I hope they learn!

You always get a run on sales with people trying to get in before the new policies hit. I had a great end of January because February 1st sprint started charging an extra $10 for all smartphones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm actually waiting for the 7th before I buy a new phone. The tiered plans are a net positive compared to the current tethering plans IF you use more data tethering than you do on the device. Personally, I've never gone above 400mb or so on mobile data, but I hit around 5gb tethering every month.

Or just root the phone and tether without paying? I think $30 a month for tethering is crazy.

I hit 3+GBs on my Evo this month. I couldn't do a cap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

I consulted the mindless drones in Verizon's chat about whether or not we'd get to keep the employer discount on data. They say yes (which could just as easily be wrong), but hey, at least I have something in writing.

I'm going to scream bloody murder if they revoke it. That's an extra $144 per two-year contract, and I'm signing up for service under the assumption that the discount will stay in place.

The lovely part is that I'm sure they'll argue that a $6/month "change to your discount" isn't materially adverse even though it absolutely is. Hopefully they just leave it the hell alone.

Definitely agreeing with you that you should be grandfathered in, but I want to note that I have nightmares about having customers like you (extremely determined and specific) :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yamdankee posted:

I recently moved from an apartment that had great signal to a house that has pretty poor signal. Before I start paying for two forms of Internet again (cable + 3G), is there a recommended signal booster device that I can buy? Googling comes up with a lot of results but I have no idea where to begin with this sort of thing.

There is a signal booster thread in IYG and goons who have used specific boosters and recommend them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sadus posted:

Mainly just on principle, based on bad childhood memories of my small home town's single cable modem provider also abusing their near monopoly by having really lovely quotas. But even with no ethics in the equation, sooner or later they are bound to cancel the unlimited plan grandfathering, at which point everyone will be hosed. Even if that lets people get out of their contracts without ETFs I'm sure they will be wanting their hardware subsidy money back.

I don't know exactly how fast LTE/4G can go up to, but lets say 25 megabits/sec. Downloading at those speeds it would take 11 minutes to go over your *monthly* quota, that's just an absolute joke.

For hosting providers at least, raw bandwidth costs are about $1 per megabit per month. Used 24/7 that 1 megabit is ~300 GB give or take. At those rates the 2GB/month plan should be 20 cents. I'm sure Verizon has quite a bit more expenses managing all their cell towers and such, but still.

No one really downloads at full speed nonstop, but lets pretend someone did that by mistake somehow (unsecured wireless hotspot, retarded children torrenting the latest Shrek movie, or whatever). If we go with the 25 megabit/sec rate, that's ~7500 GB per month, which would be $80 for the first 10GB, and then an extra $74,900 to pay for the extra GB's at $10/gb. I think I've read LTE goes up to 40 or 50 mbits even so it could even be double that. I guess Verizon has invented diamond-studded platinum bits.

I think the rates that Verizon has set out are absolutely ridiculous, but in terms of capping there may not be a perfect option (except for throttling, which still has my vote). Verizon only has so much capacity, and they have a boatload of users switching to smartphones. So its either capped internet or a higher rate of outages and/or slow internet. The comparison of cable to wireless is not really a fair comparison (from what I understand anyway) as wireless cannot even handle close to the amount of usage that cable can.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this.

And no guarantees Sprint will ever not cap internet either, but they do have a lot more capacity to go the distance, assuming they don't go under.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WeaselWeaz posted:

Agreed. Even at my heaviest I've never hit 2gb, I think. However, I usually have 4G off and use wifi at work and home. It may be different once I'm sitting at the airport for a few hours.

I don't get this. I use 3G only on my Evo (stock Android still sucks for Sprint 4G), I'm usually on WiFi at home and still hit 2-3GB a month. I do stream a lot of RDio now, but only occasional Netflix. Very little tethering. I'm 6 days in to my current cycle and have already used half a gig.

I think the big thing that sucks about it is people are now moving towards movies (Netflix) and music (iTunes, RDio, Spotify, Google Music) in a cloud. I became a recent RDio convert (Spotify may change that) and my usage has spiked recently as a result, because the main place i use that is in my car driving, which is at least 1 hour a day right there and on occasion much more. Unfortunately, the result is going to be training regular people to "only watch Netflix when on WiFi," which unfortunately defeats the purpose of a smartphone in my opinion.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sadus posted:

Whoops, I meant to say no video chat slider in that calculator, not voice chat.

Anyway, if most people don't currently use more than 2GB currently, that's all the more reason not to be over-charging people who do use proper amounts of bandwidth, they have the capacity to handle it. They've had no trouble making more than a billion a month in profit with unmetered plans up until now, price gouging customers is attempting to fix a financial problem that doesn't exist.

They don't necessarily have the capacity to handle it though, that's my point. 700MHz is great on building penetration, but Verizon splits it with AT&T and I think one other. Right now VZ is obviously handling it mostly ok, but long term would still be questionable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

And goodness, it's not like Verzion makes 10 billion in profit per year and thus have a huge war chest if they ever needed to upgrade capacity... :ohdear:

See response below, but it isn't about cost, Verizon only has so much capacity at 700MHz. It doesn't matter if you have the money to build more towers, if you max out on your spectral assets at that frequency well you're SoL. To give you general numbers:

Verizon: 40MHz of spectrum
AT&T: 40MHz of spectrum
Sprint: 120 MHz of spectrum.

Am I biased because I sell Sprint? Probably, but having a lot less spectrum with a ton more users means something has to give. I'll be the first to say I figured Verizon speeds would have slowed down by now and from what i understand they haven't, but to Verizon's credit they always seem adamant about having the coverage/speeds they advertise, which leads to:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Back to your original question, Duckman, assuming they really are having capacity issues I also think throttling would be the best solution for consumers. But in addition to throttling (most likely) netting them less money, there's also a potential PR problem -- if people start getting throttled, it's an admission that you have a capacity problem. Going to tiers and talking about "heavy users" "carrying their weight" allows you to spin the change as proactive, preventing a performance problem before it exists. Just looking out for you customers.

Interesting thought process on the PR aspect. Its interesting how Verizon's marketing is so heavily on being the best network, and the steps they could be taking to get there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is the difference between Verizon and Sprint services in terms of data and calling reception? My wife and I are considering switching from Verizon to Sprint but I would like to stay with Verizon so I need selling points (or points to agree with her if it would be better to go with Sprint)

Edit: Has anyone here tried out Pre-owned phones through Verizon? Any info on the certified pre-owned set up would be greatly appreciated.

Verizon does have the best reception nationwide. Especially if you go to rural areas, Verizon is most likely to have coverage. Same goes for having some kind of internet, and there is no doubt they have now surpassed sprint on 4g coverage and will have the best 4g coverage (and probably fastest too ).

Sprint is cheaper and puts all value in one. If you use call text and internet, for most people sprint has good rates. Sprint offers roaming off verizon where they dont have coverage, so in theory it is the same coverage but cheaper. Not necessarily the case, I would say that depends on where you live.

3g internet speeds are the same. 4g verizon kills sprint 4g, for new smartphone users sprints big thing is unlimited internet.

My main thing would be do you have smartphones on verizon yet? If you do, you have unlimited internet and it is a no brainer to stay with verizon and stay grandfathered. If you do not, well then weigh the costs and value difference, see which one is better.

Kalibar is mostly on the money with the point that the data caps are just poorly priced (i still think they should be throttled). Personally, sprint 4g in nashville mossssstly works fine, so I dont have a lot of problems with 2500mhz. But I know other cities have that problem, so it is a valid point.

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind as well that Verizon is eventually going to phase out their CDMA networks. There's nothing stopping them from lighting up LTE on additional bands when that happens.

A good point, all I would question is whether current phones could read a 8000mhz lte band or if they would not be able to pick up the new frequency? And if I got verizons 3g frequency wrong I am sorry, long day.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 9, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

It's not about new people signing up, it's about people who already signed contracts. It's universally understood that you can transfer the responsibility of a contract to someone else in the event you don't want it anymore and know somebody who does. It's loving bullshit for Verizon to decide that they'll be removing the desirable characteristics of a signed agreement while fighting tooth and nail to uphold said "agreement" if the contractholder exercises his or her contractual right to transfer liability.

Is it written in Verizon's ToS that "we will start loving with your agreement if you change financial responsibility"?

Verizon has their positives, but bending over backwards to customers is not one of their known traits. It was a logical thought and a bummer, but I'm not exactly surprised Verizon is keeping a loophole closed. I will even go as far as saying the positive is you won't have assholes selling grandfathered unlimited internet Verizon plans for $xxx dollars. Same reason Sprint charges the $10 a month data plan even if it is a Palm Centro, Instinct or Windows Mobile 6.x phone, they want the stuff to die out and they don't want a "black market."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But you can still do a ToL on an on-contract pre-smartphone-tax Optimus or something right?

I can understand Verizon stripping unlimited data during ToL for off-contract accounts, but that's a pretty hosed up thing to do on-contract. Kalibar has a point there.

I would think so on point one, yes. I honestly have yet to have that come up.

I'm not defending them on it, I'm just saying I don't know why anyone is surprised? Verizon has a history of dicking over customers, as do cell carriers in general. Maybe I'm being overtly pessimistic?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ziir posted:

My sister has a Droid 2 with Verizon and she just got it replaced again, making it like the 8th Droid 2 she's had now. They keep replacing it free of charge so I'm assuming it's something wrong with the phones themselves and I think after two times its just getting ridiculous. She keeps begging them to just give her another phone (different model) but they keep refusing, but they do say she can pay for a new phone at a discounted price.

This sounds like a load of bullshit to me. Is there anything she can do to get a different phone (for free) because at the rate this is going she's gonna go back into the store to get her 9th one in a month.

That seems like a load of bullshit, and she should keep pushing. Worst case though, I would think she could get a new phone for $200ish and then sell the Droid 2 for about equivalent?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Edit: i posted in the wrong thread.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 11, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hamburglar posted:

I'm confused; what's the "black market" of having one of those phones? There's a data-plan scheme or something?

As mentioned, certain phones are or were grandfathered in on features. So even when the carrier discontinues the phones, people still buy them used online. Beyond the value of the phones staying up, the issue for carriers if people buying those phones are mnot signing contracts. In the US people not under contract are the biggest risk of churn.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slackerbitch posted:

I have so much hate for Verizon right now. My original Droid is on its last legs, and I'm due for an upgrade. BUT. I can't stand the Pentile screen for the Droid 3 screen, this unreleased Samsung phone is last year's Sprint phone with an LTE tacked on, and my other option for a keyboard with Android is to go back to a Droid 2.

"Decent screen," "current specs" and "physical keyboard" should not be this unbelievably difficult laundry list of requirements.

The worst thing is that T-Mobile has all kinds of keyboard phones, some of them even rocking 768 MB of RAM, which is a nice bit of future-proofing that I'd appreciate as someone with a Droid suffering from that 256-to-512 gap right now.

So my options are (1) pay an assload of money to break contract and jump ship to T-Mobile -- which has lovely coverage in the rural areas where my extended family lives, but at least has phones I want -- and lose my unlimited data in the process; (2) suck it up and get a phone I hate with Verizon and deal for the next two years without either a decent screen or a keyboard; (3) buy an unlocked phone, again, assload of money, and I feel like that rewards Verizon for not offering decent phones -- why should they bother, people will spring for their own; (4) loving wait and see if Verizon might bother getting more phones in the future and hope my Droid doesn't die in the meantime.

I had all my hopes pinned to the Droid 3, until that whole Pentile poo poo. And now the Samsung one is out. I'm tempted to pay all the money to switch just because I feel like punishing Verizon for not having better phone offerings, which is stupid and spiteful, yes, but how else are they going to realize or care that people are upset?

Wait, that's a stupid question; they're not going to realize or care anyway.

Want a Droid X for $200? I have one in prestine condition I need to sell. That would get you over the hump until whenever Verizon gets a decent phone again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah loving Motorola dipshits who designed the Photon ... wait the Thunderbolt has this problem too? :downs:

Does the kickstand still hold it up if you flip it upside down, or is not strong enough like the Photon's?

The Photon though the kickstand is strong enough that you literally just flip it hte other way and it still works. I don't think this is the case for the Thunderbolt unfortunately, but at least the Photon has a partial solution.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If they're not high volume sellers, that's due to the sales and promotion approach. There's no reason to think a Nexus device won't sell comparable to a HTC or Motorola one with the right marketing and promotion.

The Nexus S is at $50 out the door, being promoted and still sells like crap on Sprint. I like the phone, but the return rate is really high, and not just because of the signal problems. 3rd party skins can suck, but I will say from experience that at the least, HTC Sense is way more user friendly, especially with facebook and social stuff. Plus carriers can't put their garbage spam apps on the Nexus.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 28, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

doctor thodt posted:

Wow, that's really awesome, and kind of unreal. Couldn't someone conceivably take advantage of that and just get a new phone every three months?

Exchange periods are always from contract start date, an exchange does not reset this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I've been playing with battery modes just so I can get an idea of what to expect.

On max performance, I'm sitting at ~70% charge at the end of a workday under my normal use patterns (really only using the phone at lunch). That's with LTE on and push enabled for everything (including work email.) That idle usage is close to what I would see with my OG Droid.

I'm doing the battery saver mode right now where it disables data when the phone is idle for 15 minutes since my phone sits most of the day doing nothing. As expected, the battery really isn't being touched. I'm >90% after 5 hours off charge.

Tomorrow, I may disable 4G and see what the battery is like sitting around on 3G all day.

I think they really need to have an extra battery profile that shuts off 4G when idle for 15 minutes and switches to 3G until woken up. 3g is more than sufficient for background push notifications and 4G is really only needed on interactive use. It just seems like that's the best compromise for 4G phones until the 2nd gen chipsets come out that are less power hungry.

It's a good idea, but Verizon is possibly trying to push people to stay with 4G to offset strain on the 3g network.

Edit:

Sohcahtoa82 posted:

WHAT?!

Why the hell would you not use the keyboard? I mean, if you already have a physical keyboard on your phone, why would you opt to use the touch-screen keyboard instead of the physical one? Do most people REALLY prefer a touch keyboard?

I figured people preferred slates over sliders because they're thinner and lighter, and they don't have a moving part that can break (Though I've had my OG Droid for almost 2 years and I abuse the sliding and it works just as well as the day I got it). I can't believe people actually prefer touch-screen keys over physical keys when the option is there. You can't feel the edges of the buttons! There's no feedback! And half the screen has to be taken up by the keyboard! Another sentence with an exclamation point!

To each his own, I guess, but I absolutely despise virtual keyboards. I GOTTA have a physical one. I won't consider a phone without one.

He's right though, there are a lot of people who buy a phone with a keypad and end up not using it. For quick typing purposes why slide a keypad when typing on a touch screen comes up quicker. For 90% of people the only real purpose of s physical keypad it probably to wean them on a touch screen.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 14, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not an all or nothing thing. Swype, SwiftKey, and whatever, are great for SMS, short emails, typing in a search query, basically 80% of my smartphone input needs (and I suspect 99% of everyone else's). But hardware keyboards have their place too.

I find Swype particularly advantageous because as I can use it one-handed in portrait without having to tap my thumb around all the time, which really helps with one-handed phone balance or whatever. Also, I don't have to turn the phone sideways and slide out the slider. The fact that the keyboard take up ~50% of the screen isn't a big deal because it's transient. It's only up when I'm acting typing something and out of the way the rest of the time. Compared to non-slider portrait hardware keyboards where the keyboard takes up half the front face all the time.

By far my #1 use of a hardware keyboard is for ConnectBot/ssh where none of the on-screen keyboard solutions are great for typing terse shell commands and making frequent use of "funny characters". Hacker's Keyboard goes a long way to make ConnectBot feasibly usable with an on-screen keyboard, but it's a bit cramped. It probably really needs a 4.5" screen or larger to be of sufficient utility.

My #2 use would be long emails. While a hardware keyboard is much better for typing those than an on-screen one, I've concluded you're not really meant to type long emails on phones and it's probably just better to wait those out.

So, realizing my #1 hardware keyboard use case is irrelevant to the vast majority of the smartphone population, I'm seriously reevaluating my needs here and trying to come up with a solution that allows me to escape using poo poo phones. I'm really serious that if they made an Otterbox or something with built-in bluetooth slider keyboard I'd just get that. It'd look silly as poo poo, but when I need to carry a hardware keyboard around I could, and when I don't I'd leave it alone. Only problem would be powering it--don't like the idea of having to charge it separately.

My advice on charging a Bluetooth keypad is what i do with my current Bluetooth headset: make sure it uses microusb and make sure you have a dual charger at home, work, and car. Honestly, I usually just charge my Bluetooth in the car now a days over night, and its fine. Possibly not the healthiest, but it is just a Bluetooth.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anonononomous posted:

Has there been any talk about Verizon getting any more Windows Phone 7 options? Or am I stuck with the Trophy for the foreseeable future if I choose to go that route?

I haven't heard of anything, you may see something, but so far windows phone 7 is pretty gsm focused.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

That's probably why Pittsburgh was a launch city. Just enough population and Verizon fiber is everywhere around here. I'm sure the infrastructure they put in place for the widespread FIOS rollouts probably pays dividends in providing backhaul to cell sites.

That and your drat football team is always a winning team :argh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Port your numbers to a prepaid service like Page Plus, then sign up for the deal?

All major carriers have a time limit, once you cancel you can only sign up with a new contract after 60 days or something like that.

And the reason pricing is different is that Verizon pays amazon more for new customers than upgrades, and Amazon passes along that pricing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Aatrek" posted:

It scares me a bit that Best Buy has the Bionic off-contract at $699 - that's where I wanted to get the Nexus (as I have some gift cards saved up). VZW sells it off-contract for $589.

Not a good sign. Maybe I'll get something in print from the local Verizon store and take it to Best Buy to do a price match :colbert:

Best Buy always marks up the outright pricing of phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"vote_no" posted:

So locking bootloaders on 4G devices is not allowed but, of course, Verizon is ignoring the requirements. And beyond the scope of the ruling, the idea that you can sell a computer which is permanently locked to a specific operating system the company provides is bizarre and I can't believe it's gone on as long as it has.

Iphones do this, so I doubt the concept is going away (unfortunately).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Cancelling because someone died is for the account holder. All the lines are yours really, you just let her use one.

Can't speak for Verizon, but on sprint the policy is you just send in the death certificate and it gets canceled. I had it happen to my customers mom, and even though it was not in the moms name, they canceled it no fees.

• Locked thread