Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I just ordered the Xperia Play (well, preordered). Mostly because I'm a gamer and I'm looking for good quality games to play on my phone while away from my house...AKA, not silly touchscreen bullshit (Say whatever you want about how it is now. It can never truly replace a pad). Can people who are far more knowledgeable than I inform me how good / terrible of a purchase this is for someone like myself? While I consider myself to be very tech savvy...this is admittedly my first smartphone, so I'd like to yield to guys who have far more experience than I in this field.

(AKA it's still early enough to cancel this preorder).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As the only one who has an Xperia Play here...I have to say I am really loving the device. Got Zenonia and Zenonia 2 on it and been playing those...having way more fun with those games than I ever did beforehand using a touchscreen. Asphalt 6 is also a blast to play. Crash Bandicoot is an old classic.

It may be an old chipset or whatever, but I don't care. This is easily THE gaming phone out now, and I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with touchscreen controls for gaming on a phone. It's...it's like a whole new world has opened up for me. :)

Kirios fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 28, 2011

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Penguissimo posted:

Just a quick question that for some reason only brings up spam sites in a Google search—how do the popular emulators (Nesoid, Snesoid, etc) work on the Play? Can you configure the buttons to work properly in the emulators? I stopped by the Verizon store to check this out, but for some reason none of the emulators even showed up in the Market.

They may have been taken off, but Snes 9x was still there the last time I checked. It works flawlessly after testing it with quite a few games. It recognized the Xperia Play's controls and I was able to map them with no problems at all. If you're into that sort of thing, then this device is going to be the ultimate emulator phone as well. Apparently even N64oid works very well on it.

...now to find a way to get Nesoid and N64oid when they aren't on the marketplace. Any help with that?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Clowcards posted:

I am looking at Verizon phones now. I would love to wait a month or two and get a really nice new android phone, but my 2 year family plan contract is up next week, and I feel pressured to get a new phone along with everyone else. I am looking at the Xperia play or another droid phone. I would like a 4 or 4.3 inch screen, and will probably be doing a lot of web browsing on it. The Droid 3 and Bionic also look really tempting.

I have never had a smart phone before. Up until now I have used an iPod Touch and a separate basic cellphone. I would love to get an iPhone, but I feel like this is the absolute worst time to get one. It would kill me to be locked into a 2 year contract just as the new iPhones are announced. I am worried about carrying around an ipod and a android phone and everything at the same time.

Does anyone have an Xperia Play? Would it be worth getting and using as a fairly standard android phone with gaming as a nice bonus?

I've got an Xperia Play and I definitely like the phone. It has some small RAM issues, especially when you're playing some of the more graphically involved Gameloft games (Backstab HD especially comes to mind. Great game though!), and I'm not a terribly big fan of the small internal memory that it has. I ended up buying a 32 GB micro SD card just so I could fit everything I really wanted to.

That said, if you have any interest in gaming on your phone, it's the definitive device. I look at mobile games entirely differently now. The phone is similar to the high end phones of last year and I love the screen....there's some cool technology under the hood. The actual phone part is good, but not great, so if that's your biggest concern you may want to pass on the Play.

But yeah, emulators. That's the coolest part in my opinion. Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie play exactly as their originals did. No other phone can come even close to saying that. But I'm also an old game nerd so that kind of thing appeals to me. It may not be the case for you.

I recall seeing online that Amazon Wireless currently has the Play for one cent with a two year contract as well. So there you go, free phone!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

I believe they're offering Mobile Hotspot for free for a limited time. I thought the promo only applied to 4G phones but maybe I'm wrong. It's normally $20/month, latest word is that it'll go back to being a paid service July 6th.

Wait, where is this? I pull up my bill on Verizon's website and try to add this in there, but it shows 20 dollars a month.

• Locked thread