Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
If I buy a phone online from Amazon or Costco and sign up for a data plan will it matter if I end up activating it after the 7th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

How did you get it for $50? It's $80 at my Costco.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Waiting to see how the battery life is on the Bionic, I bought my Incredible 2 at Costco for the 90 return policy

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

kalibar posted:

Topolsky reviewed it and didn't have a lot to say about the display. He mentioned getting 11 hours off the battery, which sounds same as (worse than?) the Charge:

I dunno, I was an Atrix hater when it dropped and I guess I'm becoming a Bionic hater. The "point" of the lovely display was supposed to be battery savings, but it's not looking like that's really the case unless the dual-core OMAP is really just hoovering that much juice. It looks like the LTE choice for now is pretty clearly raw performance (Bionic) vs. better screen (Charge).

Holding out for the Droid Prime seems prudent.

Didn't Motorola engineer their own LTE radio for the Bionic? I thought that one of the reasons it was delayed was so they could build it with their more efficient radio

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I activated my Rezound last night and have yet to receive a 4G signal on it (last night they told me the 4G network was down)

Nice job Verizon :thumbsup:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I have restarted it a few times to see if that was the problem but no luck so far. The coverage map on Verizon's website clearly shows I live in a 4G area so I'm pretty sure I should be receiving a signal

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Sometimes when I restart the phone a 4G connection icon pops up, but then it goes away and switches to 3G. Going to take it to the Verizon store tomorrow, maybe there's something wrong with the SIM

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

It turns out 4G coverage just sucks around here and my phone was fine at the store. I think it has been having the 3G problems because of the buggy 3G/4G radio switching

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

ghostinmyshell posted:

I was curious if anyone else did really.

The volume of the speaker and the camera are the issues I have. I don't think these items can be fixed with a software update.

I originally wanted a WinMo7 phone (not the Trophy), so I am already stuck with my second choice and the doubt in my mind. My Incredible died over the holiday so I had to get a new phone.

The Rezound has a nice screen, a loud speaker, and a good camera. The downside is it's kind of thick and you have to put up with Sense :barf:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

kstatix posted:

Yeah, and like every other HTC phone, the battery is worse in comparison to other high end phones.

The longer I've worked for Verizon the more and more I see how lovely HTC phones are. I see the Incredible 10+ times a day with memory issues and other problems. It used to be the Eris. Now that we're approaching 1 year since the Thunderbolt came out, I'm seeing that as the next plague.

Yeah, I'm considering switching to an iPhone because 1) every android phone has to have a huge screen and 2) battery life sucks

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

zaha posted:

What really made me seriously look at the Rezound was the ability to permanently remove Sense. I'm not a fan of it either. Someone came up with a nice script that disables Sense and freezes all Bloatware. And since then there's been a fairly painless permanent root solution, so I'm happy with the future prospects.

Like I said, the Rezound is a nice phone but HTC's interface and the fact it's so darn big have me contemplating an iPhone instead. It's nice that HTC allows you to unlock the bootloader now but the fact that it voids your warranty and you can't relock it is stupid. If there's a hardware failure that's not caused by rooting why shouldn't they have to cover it? Ridiculous.

4G reception around here isn't very good (despite what Verizon's coverage map indicates) so my Rezound switches between the 3G and 4G radios a lot and sometimes it just loses all data connectivity. According to the Verizon sales rep I talked to in the store, the hand off from 3G to 4G works fine but going from 4G to 3G will sometimes hang up both radios, he advised me to just turn off the LTE radio completely.

It's been my experience so far that Verizon has marketed 4G to consumers too early, the reliability has been bad (it was down when I tried to activate my phone), the coverage sucks, and it drains your battery.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Mighty Horse posted:

Call me crazy, but I Actually like Sense.

The clock/weather widget is awesome. The multi-function lock screen is cool. I like the "people" module over the stock contacts app. I really don't understand the hate it gets.

I think Sense looks awful, is a huge resource hog, and, as someone else stated, the dock is terrible. Pretty much the only thing I like about Sense is the dialer.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

It's to program your phone (opt1) and update roaming capabilities (opt2). I don't have an option to bring up the dialpad from the screen to hit 2.

Hold down the menu button to bring up the keyboard and then enter 1 or 2 on that

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Why does a phone that is half as thick as the Rezound have over twice as much battery capacity

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Mark Larson posted:

This is exactly why I think a non-removable battery can work. The regular Razr has a 2000 mAh battery, that's about as big as the extended battery on the GN.

Plus it's such a loving cop out to give the device a tiny battery and a slim profile and then sell an extended battery. I'm lookin at you, HTC.

The extended battery on the Rezound is ridiculous

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Absolute Zero posted:

Hey guys, quick question. I'm on Verizon and had been using a the standard Motorola Droid for the last two years. My phone got stolen last week, but I guess the plus there is it gives me an excuse to upgrade.

I really like the iPhones and was going to get the iPhone 4s, but am wondering what kind of benefit I would get from going to a 4g phone. Is it worth it? Also, would I still be grandfathered into unlimited data, or would they toast that if I went to 4g?

It depends on a few factors. I found Verizon's 4G coverage to be unreliable (down nationwide 3 times in December when I was trying out a Rezound) and spotty, at least in my coverage area (even the Verizon rep at the store said 4G coverage sucks here, despite what their official map says). The Rezound also had a lot of trouble switching between the 4G and 3G radios and a software bug would sometimes render both inoperable until a reboot, something I have heard happens on other 4G phones too.

4G is really fast when it works but I found that 3G is fine for 99% of my personal phone usage; poor coverage, software glitches, and awful battery life pushed me towards a 3G phone for at least one more upgrade cycle.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Dancing Peasant posted:

Initially, I thought the new plan was a terrible idea. However, the more I think about it, the more it may seem feasible. I'm currently on a family plan with four phones (two of them being smartphones). Our current bill is almost $300. Moving to the new plan with 5GBs of shared data is going to be about $250 with taxes and bullshit fees included. So maybe the idea of this plan might be beneficial to those that have a bunch of devices.

Our family plan with 2 smart phones and two dumb phones with 700 minutes and unlimited text is only $170 a month, how could your plan be so much more :confused:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Is it possible to use a smartphone on Verizon's network without a data plan? I know you're required to upgrade to data when purchasing a contract but can you activate an old smartphone with just voice and text?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

ProjektorBoy posted:

It's not possible. When Verizon's network sees your ESN it's going to know exactly which phone you're using and will force on a data plan. You can go for the not-exactly-legal practice of ESN cloning but you won't find out how to do that here.

No, I was just wondering if I could put my mom on a smartphone. She doesn't need data really as wifi would suffice, too bad I guess.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

WeaselWeaz posted:

Buy her an iPod Touch.

Considered it but I don't think the camera is good enough to replace her point and shoot unfortunately.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I thought everything with a bad ESN was lost/stolen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Does Verizon offer a monthly discount for bringing your own phone and not signing up for a two year contract?

• Locked thread