Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm fairly close to pulling the trigger on a Bionic (yay .edu address knocks $50 off the price). Aside from this new Vigor thing that may or may not be coming, is there any reason why I shouldn't? I've got a Droid X that has had issues from the beginning (VZW always blamed apps, but it does the same thing on a fresh SBFd install) and they've gotten worse over the past few days. It'll hang when trying to answer calls, in the middle of composing texts etc, and has rebooted itself 5 or 6 times a day this week. Moving up to LTE and getting a properly functioning phone sounds like a great combination, I just want to make sure there aren't any glaring reasons why I shouldn't. I've read the past 5 or so pages of the thread and seen some hardware issues, but all in all it looks positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Not an Anthem posted:

Missed this part, does this stack with the CostCo deal?

Sorry, I should have expanded on that. There is no discount that I know of for students. However, if whatever entity that is in charge of your school has an agreement with VZW (in my case, the State of Oregon) you can use the corporate discount.

However, I realized after posting that, that I was dumb. It didn't discount it because of my.edu address, I just used my wife's NE2 discount. It did knock 15% off the monthly bill though, well for her number at least.

highme
May 25, 2001

I lost LTE coverage for a little bit around 4:30-5:00pst. Assumed it was related to the fact that I was in a sparsely populated part of the Portland area that might not have coverage, though the town I was headed to does and I wasn't that far off of I-5.

Regardless, I think I'm going to return my Bionic and grab a Vigor or Prime (if that happens). I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't read this thread, but the display bugs me. If it wasn't a "flagship" type phone I'd deal with it, but at that price point it shouldn't have a noticeably worse display than my DX. I'm going to wait until my 14 days are almost up of course, I don't want to give up that sweet, sweet LTE coverage. I did a bandwidth test on Saturday AM and got 38mb down and 28mb up. It hasn't been that fast since, but the 18-20mb I'm hitting is real nice.

highme
May 25, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What was your ping when you tested?

I don't recall exactly. I want to say somewhere between 60 & 90ms though.

highme
May 25, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Man LTE is loving awesome. That's good enough for FPS gameplay.

I just did another test. Got 30mb down, 20mb up, with 62ms ping.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yeah, my Bionic goes back tomorrow because of the screen.

highme
May 25, 2001

You can purchase any Verizon capable phone, new or used, from somebody other than Verizon and use it on their network without having to worry about a contract.

With that said, you've had the same phone and VZW account for 4 years. Is a contract really going to do you harm?

highme
May 25, 2001

Yeah, if I wasn't grandfathered in to unlimited data LTE would not be as attractive to me.

highme
May 25, 2001

My son has an LG Octane (although I'm not sure it's still available) that serves his needs well as a socially active 13 year old.

highme fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 14, 2011

highme
May 25, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

How would you compare the iPhone 4S to the Droid Bionic?

I have a Bionic and it's great, but the battery cover is a bit loose so I am thinking of going in and swapping it (whatup Costco!) but now I'm wondering if I should switch to the iPhone, since the option is there and it's getting pretty good reviews.

I am not interested in the iPhone simply because after getting a taste of that sweet, sweet LTE, I can't justify locking myself into a slower connection for the next 2 years.

highme
May 25, 2001

Logged into VZW to pay my bill today and they're already pushing the Droid Razr.

highme
May 25, 2001

Played with a Razr for a little bit on my way to grab some coffee during my AM break. The screen wasn't as bad as the Bionic I had, but the PenTile stuff was pretty noticeable. That's always been on my bottom 3 of the incoming devices anyways because of the lack of a removable battery (I don't care about an extended battery, but I haven't had a smartphone that didn't need a battery pull at some point) now it's pretty much not in contention.

highme
May 25, 2001

Looks like I'll be getting a Rezound tomorrow. My DX is rebooting almost 10 times a day. I'm a little concerned about the battery life, but I played with one for a bit and would rather pay $35 to use it until the Nexus comes out than deal with constant issues.

highme
May 25, 2001

Grabbed the Rezound myself with the same thoughts. My only complaint so far is the proprietary charger connection.

highme
May 25, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Pretty sure the rezound is just microusb.

Since I have it sitting in front of me, I can, assure you it's not. It's HTC's micro USB.

highme
May 25, 2001

Mini or micro? The micro cable sitting in front of me on my desk, that I have been using with my DX, does not fit. And I doubt a mini would either.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just tried that and it worked, thanks. I had the HTC cable with me so I wasn't too concerned about making the USB cable fit. That makes things much handier.

highme
May 25, 2001

JerkyBunion posted:

They are using the letter of the policy to defeat the spirit of the policy. It's unethical and it's people like that that will end up getting the policy changed for the rest of us.

Corporations will gladly do any number of unethical things to get you to part with your money. I see nothing unethical about using their policy as it's written, especially when return policies are used to entice a purchase. Gaming the system is one thing, getting them to abide to their their written policy is not gaming the system.

I'm fairly certain Costco has all sorts of bean counters and business analysts that have weighed the pros and cons of their exchange policy. When their policies cease to work in their favor they will change them.

When I bought my Rezound last week I flat out told the Verizon manager that I was buying it because my DX was becoming unusable and although I was waiting on the Nexus it was worth the $35 to rent to Rezound and have a functioning device. He nodded in agreement and said "seems reasonable to me."

highme
May 25, 2001

Picked one up and am digging it so far. The sales agent was super chipper until I turned down both a case and a screen protectors. Then she was a robot that just wanted me gone.

highme
May 25, 2001

Now that I'm at a keyboard and not typing from my phone while at work I want to expand upon my trip report.

So quick backstory, bought a DX in fall of 2010 with a 1 year contract, wife bought a DX near launch with a 2 year contract. This September when I was tried of my DX constantly rebooting and being a pain in the rear end and LTE rolling out in Portland, I decided to get a new phone and bought a Bionic. I purchased it online and thinking I was using my employee discount I ended up ordering it using my wife's upgrade and $50 off credit. After using it for 2 weeks I decided the upcoming phones were a better deal and returned it on day 14.

I used my POS DX for the next couple of weeks until the Rezound was released. Bought it on the 15th of November, told the manager "I'm waiting on the Nexus but my DX sucks so it's worth the $35 to rent something else until the Nexus comes out." He replied, "good plan." After finding out today that for some reason one of the 2nd upgrade we had that should be available wasn't (the next upgrade window would be May 2013) the manager tried to say that I could only upgrade once and if I returned a phone it didn't matter. Then he proceeded to tell me "you're returning a bunch of phones over and over again and that's not really how this is supposed to work." I haven't yet returned my Rezound, so the "bunch of phones" that I had returned "over and over again" was one Bionic in September. I suggested that maybe "one" phone wasn't really "a bunch" and he got even more pissy with me, but did whatever override he was supposed to do to make it so I could get the phone.

When that was all settled and the CSR went to get my phone, before doing so she grabbed a basket of cases off the bench behind her and set it down in front of me like I got to pick one because it was included. I asked "The phone doesn't come with a case right?" She said it didn't and I politely said, "No thanks then." To which I was asked a few times over "are you sure, it's a lot of money to replace one outright." When she finally realized I wasn't going to be buying a case she asked in a lovely tone, "You're at least going to buy some screen protectors right?" At that point I wanted to say "I might, but not from a store that gouges on accessories," but needed to get back to my cubicle and really just wanted to be done with her at that point.

After loving around with it for the afternoon, I'll likely look for an Otterbox for it, but gently caress buying it from Verizon. I still have the Rezound to return and haven't decided if I'm going to do so at a different location, or go back there so giggledick manager has to deal with it. Yes I'm being a bit of an rear end in a top hat myself, but dropping $300 on a phone gives me a little wiggle room on that IMO.

Ash1138 posted:

Also, pentile schmentile. This screen is awesome.

I got to agree. It's pretty drat nice.

highme fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 16, 2011

highme
May 25, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Don't take it out on the workers helping you out and selling you your precious phone, it's not their choice. Take it out on the Verizon big wigs instead.

Which is another reason why I didn't say anything. The only part that really bugged me was she just handed me the basket of cases like I got to pick one for free, without asking if I needed one, in hopes that I would pick one and not notice it's price was added to my bill.

highme
May 25, 2001

I seem to have lost LTE connectivity in the past couple of hours on my nexus in Portland. Not sure if it's the device or network.

highme
May 25, 2001

Does anybody else get input lag when trying to enter text to the Awful app in landscape mode? (Forgot to add "on a Gnex")

Re: Beats audio. I think it's pretty amusing that in the Volume+ equalizer presets there is one for "Emulate Beats Audio" and directly below it is "quality settings".

highme fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 3, 2012

highme
May 25, 2001

Anybody in Portland, OR having data connectivity issues? I've been without any data on my GNex since last evening.

highme
May 25, 2001

kstatix posted:

Mine's working fine.

I figured it out. At somepoint last night mobile data was switched off.

highme
May 25, 2001

You don't have to buy new phones through Verizon to replace a device. I have seen GS3s on Craigslist for around $200.

Can you transer upgrades across accounts? My mom isn't going to use her upgrade, but is on a separate account from my family. I can order a phone & do the activation dance, but would prefer to not have to.

highme fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 30, 2013

highme
May 25, 2001

That's what I gathered. I'm going to wait a bit anyways. My only beef with my current device (gnex) is battery life, and for the times when that is more important than speed, I'll turn off my LTE radio. But since most of my use is at work, plugged in, it's not a big deal.

highme
May 25, 2001

I know how that trick works. It's why my kids rarely get new phones. My mom lives about an hour away, so I was hoping to avoid having to make that drive. Though I could probably just have the phone delivered to my address.

highme
May 25, 2001

She already gave me access to her account online. I'm just going to order it from there because it's less of a hassle at this point. If I can't have it shipped to my address I'll go visit her, she'll like that.

highme
May 25, 2001

Galaxy S3s can be had for used $200 pretty regularly as well.

highme
May 25, 2001

If Verizon forces me off unlimited at some point I'm going to switch to Ting or one of the other resellers like that. Unlimited LTE is the only thing keeping me with VZW.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just went into a retail store and the CSR told me that transferring my upgrade to my son's account would kill my unlimited data. She was talking out of her rear end right?

Since I'm going through the website now and it's not giving me any issues, talking out of her rear end confirmed.

highme fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 28, 2013

highme
May 25, 2001

Same account, but I just ordered it via the website.

The most irritating part was I had asked her to check stock on the Droid Maxx and she kept putting that off. They've been in and out of stock all week from both retail places that are convenient to me. I didn't want to waste any of our time if they didn't have that phone.

And holy poo poo the Droid Maxx vs Droid RAZR Maxx confusing reps is pretty funny.

highme fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 28, 2013

highme
May 25, 2001

When I use voice commands on my dmaxx to send a text it sends two copies to the recipient. Is anybody else experiencing this?

highme
May 25, 2001

Nope. It's like Google now & messaging is catching the message and sending it. My wife was bitching about me sending her multiple messages so I did some testing with her phone (gs3) & a friend's phone (iPhone 5 on att). If I type out a text it works fine. If I transcribe one 2 of the same message get sent for both situations.

Also if I say "ok Google now" to invoke the voice commands it includes "now" in what it's listening for.

highme
May 25, 2001

I may bite on a 40gb plan if it ends up being cheaper than 2x Unlimited + 3x 2gb.

I'm the only one that really uses a bunch of data. So 40gb would probably work fine, plus would allow my son a little data breathing room.

highme
May 25, 2001

Hopefully that Droid Turbo thing lasts through the month. I got 2 old Droid Xs that need a home.

highme
May 25, 2001

Did they do away with my "transfer my upgrade to my son's line, buy new subsidized device, keep UDP" loophole? Just going through the website it seems like we're still good, but I had to ask some questions with a chat CSR and she said if I transfer my upgrade I lose UDP. I'm sure that's the script, but just wanted to double check with you folks.

highme
May 25, 2001

We have 5 lines, 2 ULD & 3 w/ 2gb data allotments. We're on the NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700 plan that we've been on for years. Does anybody know if with the added $20 a month on the ULDs I can finally get our capped lines into a better plan so my son can use the full 6gb they have since my mother in law and father in law only use <150mb a month? Up to now they haven't been able to change the plan without loving our ULDs. I use 20-25gb a month loving around at work, so I'm pretty committed to keeping ULD. Both my wife & my accounts have upgrades/new contracts available now, so I'm going to jump on those (transfer to other account trick) and hopefully lock us in for the next 2 years at $30 for the data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Was coming to ask that same question re OG unlimited vs the new plan. Just went to pay my monthly bill, which is $350ish (2x unlimited for my wife & I, 3x non-unlimited plans) but it would be $200 plus taxes etc., on the new plan. I have a work provided hot spot, so that's not a concern. I was the heaviest user on our account in the past using 25gigs a month or so, but I've changed jobs & don't use my phone for streaming audio at work anymore. I just checked my usage & I'm at 2.5 gigs for the month, so I'm pretty sure we should switch.

• Locked thread