Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure battery life is such a barrier to entry for someone who was thinking about buying the Bionic since I think it's pretty much accepted at all LTE phones are going to suck down the power.
Except that's not something inherent to LTE, and it's speculated that the whole reason for the delay is Motorola rolling out their own LTE baseband, presumably to address said power concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Specifically, what’s the difference between 4G and mobile broadband?
4G LTE is a communications technology, basically it means faster data but (at present) in limited markets. Eventually Verizon will be running LTE exclusively, but that's quite a ways off. There's no service price difference between 3G and 4G for smartphones, it's just that only three smartphones actually have LTE support at present.

Mobile broadband typically refers to USB sticks/hotspots that provide data connectivity for non-phones: laptops, tablets, etc. So probably not what you're looking for.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

On the data plan, why does there seem to be two pricing schedules, one of them with the description called “included mobile hotspot”?
You can use your phone as a "mobile hotspot" to provide data connectivity for WiFi-enabled devices (laptops, tablets, etc.). Basically it's a way of combining phone service and mobile broadband into one thing, but they charge you more than if you just had a regular phone data plan.

Although, with some hackery, you can usually use Android phones as mobile hotspots without paying extra. It's something Verizon would prefer you not do however.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I see myself browsing the web a lot, but don’t need to download movies or listen to streaming music. I’m guessing I don’t need massive amounts of data. Any particular plans I should look at or avoid?
The 2 GB for $30/mo plan is sufficient for that purpose.

The only other trick to be aware is that you can cut your texting costs with Google Voice and doing free texting over data. However, folks will have to text to a different phone number than they call you on (for in-network calling anyways).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If you add an additional line, you should be able to buy one at the subsidized price.
Subsidized smartphones should require a data plan on a new line. They definitely do if you're setting up a new three-line family plan, as opposed to adding a third line to an existing plan.

If they're letting you do that, that's a bug in their ordering system.

Athenry posted:

What do they care? They get your money either way.
No, that's the point. A contract ETF is $350. Add on a non-prorated single month of an added-line with cheapest data service ($40) and activation fee ($35) and you're at $625, which is just shy of the retail price.

The problem here is going to be the contract terms. I don't have them handy, but it's quite likely there's a statement to the affect that "adding a line with a subsidized smartphone requires maintaining a qualified data plan for the duration of the contract" or some poo poo, which they may end up holding one to.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 3, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Galler posted:

Do you really only get $30 or $50 off now?
NE2 is an additional discount off the subsidized rate. So folks are getting $199 devices for $169 or $149 with $30 or $50 discounts respectively.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

FYI, you don't do this if you have a 4G phone. It shouldn't let you anyway but if it does it may fry your SIM card.
Are you serious? All CDMA devices use PRLs, and occasionally they need to be updated.

How does it fry an LTE SIM card? That's super special. But if so, couldn't you take the SIM out, update, then put it back in?

Edit: Looks like the new CDMA basebands (used in the LTE phones) can do PRL updates automatically. Calling *228 (is supposed) to do nothing on them.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

When the Thunderbolt first came out people would call *228 and their SIM card would get deactivated, requiring a trip to a store for a new one.
That's really amazing. I guess no one had though to do that during testing.

I didn't realize you had to call a phone number to do PRL updates on Verizon anyways. They've been automatically pushed (or at least automatically polled) on Sprint for years. Then again, we're much more succeptible to the whims of roaming agreements than you guys are.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't think they did a lot of testing with the 'Bolt :cry:
At least it's appropriately named. I have this imagery stuck in my head of someone unknowingly dialing *228, then suddenly a thunderbolt comes from the sky and zaps the SIM card into a smoldering heap of plastic.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

yellowjournalism posted:

Is there any plausible way I can get out of ETF or should I just bite the bullet?
How is your Droid 2 broke? If your ETF is just $75 you might be able get that much for it on eBay if it's plausibly reparable.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

yamdankee posted:

I might break down and just get broadband through cable or something soon if I can't figure something out...
If you have at least a "fair" signal outside, you could install a cellular repeater which should improve your signal conditions inside a good deal.

Unfortunately even the cheapest models are rather expensive.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sadus posted:

I'm curious if its an electrical issue or if they just want to keep being able to charge exorbitant fees for chargers and batteries with half the power?
Charger cost is irrelevant. Aftermarket chargers sold in B&M stores are stupidly expensive as all accessories are, but they're reasonably priced, even OEM ones, online. Also, mind you good NiMH chargers aren't cheap. For example, the La Crosse BC-700 which is the minimum I'd recommend, is $36.

Same is basically true with batteries. Aftermarket Evo 3D batteries run $8-9 on Amazon, a four-pack of Eneloops are $10.

That said, they did make AMPS phones with NiMH cells in the 90s, and they were :lol: thick, not particularly pocketable.

Edit: I do prefer to use AA cells over proprietary ones in as many applications as I can. For example, I'm a fan of the Canon PowerShot A-series which do. Li-ions go bad too quickly and having to carry around a bunch of different types of batteries and chargers suck. A cell phone is a reasonable exception though, I use/charge/carry it around enough frequently that I'm OK with a battery replacement being a special purchase, and it's well worth it for the increased portability and battery life.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 10, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nickhimself posted:

Man, I really like my ThunderBolt but I want to punch the design team in the face. Who thought that putting the charge port on the same side that the phone will rest on while the stand is propped up was a good idea? gently caress that guy.
Yeah loving Motorola dipshits who designed the Photon ... wait the Thunderbolt has this problem too? :downs:

Does the kickstand still hold it up if you flip it upside down, or is not strong enough like the Photon's?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

It took me forever to convince my fiance that she didn't need a talk killer, the Verizon rep told us that our phones would run slow if we didn't have it and that it was the most important app for us to have and blah blah blah. Never again.
What's up with this?

I can understand a sales clerk bullshitting to make a sale, but it seems like even bringing up ATK with a customer (whether actually necessary or not) is just going to confuse them and make them uncertain about a purchase. Unless the goal is to push them over to an iPhone.

Also, yeah, everyone knows ATK isn't necessary, but 3G Supercharger Mega is!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jfreder posted:

Of course, Motorola needs proof of purchase so unless you also get the old receipt with it, you're boned.
That's pretty funny. Makes me wonder:

Do they still require original proof-of-purchase for phones that have been on the market for less than a year? More specifically, if the device serial number says it was part of a manufacturing lot < 1 year old, there shouldn't be any quesiton as to whether the warranty has expired yet or not.

Wouldn't "first activation date" be a reasonable approximation of the original purchase date? Aside from Verizon keeping it in a database, I think CDMA phones store the activation date in radio NVRAM anyways. Perhaps if a phone is reactivated the original date is scrubbed though.

Also, certainly Verizon knows when a phone was originally sold and activated for any subsidized sale because of the contract renewal. I can't imagine they don't keep historical records of that for a long time.

Seems to me the "we don't know how old it is" bit is a scapegoat to get out of their warranty obligations. What I'd be really interested in is if someone forges an original sales receipt, would they notice and deny? If so, then they must know when the device was originally sold, in which case why require the proof?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

NewcastleBrown posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those numbers were the percentage of battery charge used by that process,
Correct, well an estimate of power consumption anyways.

NewcastleBrown posted:

If it is a percentage of battery charge used then a more efficient screen would definitely produce a lower number.
Except the number is bullshit most of the time anyways. At best, it's an estimation of the power consumption of a plain Jane RGB LCD as a function of the display brightness setting, assuming the OEM actually updates the device power profile. It's an utterly meaningless estimate on an AMOLED screen, and (I'd imagine) a quasi-estimate on an RGBW LCD since it probably doesn't account for the backlight adjustment done for the magic image processing foo and white pixel.

NewcastleBrown posted:

If it is the percentage of the time since last charged in which the process was running then it is a pretty damned useless stat that there is no good reason for them to show.
It's of questionable use to begin with. Except that, on most, moderately-used devices the screen is the greater power conusmer which the battery statistics do reflect. So the fact that the percentages have questionable relevance doesn't really matter.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I also doubt it will be sold through VZW channels.
Why's that? The Nexus S 4G is sold through Sprint.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Nexus devices traditionally aren't high volume sellers and Verizon tends to not like those taking up space in their corporate stores.
If they're not high volume sellers, that's due to the sales and promotion approach. There's no reason to think a Nexus device won't sell comparable to a HTC or Motorola one with the right marketing and promotion.

bull3964 posted:

Look at what happened with the HTC Merge.
The Merge ended up being yet-another in a string of 2010-era devices that Verzion was already flooded with. It's only benefit is a hardware keyboard that's arguably better than the Droid 2 (Global), which it seems customers aren't particularly interested in given how well the Shift did on Sprint (which was timely released through corporate channels).

The Nexus Prime, meanwhile, is another generational/revolutionary device. Even if hardware wise it's not much beyond an SGSII, software wise it definitely is. Why wouldn't Google and Verzion want to give it as much exposure as possible.

Also, consider: Both Android 2.0 (Droid) and Honeycomb (Xoom) launched on Verizon backed by a good degree of marketing. Granted, neither of these were labeled as Nexus devices (Droid predated the Nexus line, Xoom probably couldn't be sold as platform development prototype since there's no AOSP release), but they were both definitely "Nexus in spirit" given their vanilla UI and unlocked bootloaders.

Furthermore, Verizon's dropping of the SGSII totally makes sense if, at or shortly after the SGSII's expected release, the Nexus Prime launches on Verzion. Especially if it has a shiny AMOLED+ screen.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The only problem is Verizon's marketing dollars go behind the Droid brand and the next Nexus isn't going to be the "Droid Prime."
How do you explain the ThunderBolt's marketing then?

bull3964 posted:

I cannot see heavy promotion of a device that they can't install CityID, VCast, or any number of preinstalled Verizon applications that earn them money.
This isn't entirely without precedence on the iPhone right? Granted, that's a bit different.

bull3964 posted:

You do have a point with the OG Droid and the Xoom, but I think that came more of Motorola's preference for Verizon for high end devices rather than Google and Verizon teaming up in any significant way.
That's crazy. Verizon needed an "iPhone killer", or at least something that could contend with it feature-wise. There was definitely a three-way arrangement between Google, Motorola, and Verizon to get a high-end Android 2.0 CDMA device out and working, and to market it heavily.

bull3964 posted:

We have the Bionic, Vigor, and Droid HD all launching before the end of this year on Verizon. I'm not sure they are going to worry about having a 4th superphone in their stores for the holiday season.
And which of these is going to be running ICS before 2012?

If the rumors are to be believed that Google is pushing the development pace of the Nexus Prime to match or beat an iPhone 5 launch in October, then I can't see them doing a Best Buy-limited humdrum launch. If it features LTE, realistically there's no carrier to launch it on but Verizon. It seriously does not make sense for Verizon to shaft the launch that way.

But if the Nexus Prime isn't coming out until December, isn't trying to compete with the iPhone 5, supports LTE/CDMA/GSM/UMTS as a magic, Verzion-compatible but unlocked (as so can be used on domestic GSM carriers as well) device, well yeah, I'd expect it to get a marketing and sales shaft by Verzion.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Google wants to rush ICS to beat the iPhone5? With a Nexus device no less? It honestly doesn't wash.
It's the rumor, I'm not sure how credible it is.

But why are you so disparaging of the Nexus line? There's absolutely no reason to think that a Nexus phone, if sold through corporate channels and marketed appropriately wouldn't sell well. I could buy the argument that Verzion wouldn't be terribly interested in selling it due to the lack of VCast poo poo, maybe. But there's absolutely no reason to think that it isn't competitive, especially with other Android offerings.

bull3964 posted:

Basically, I'm looking for some indication that THIS Nexus is special from the last two (three if you count sprint as a separate device) that would justify a drastic change in marketing for both Google and Verizon.
It runs ICS.

Seriously. The Nexus One wasn't the first device to launch with Android 2. And while the Nexus S was the first to launch with Gingerbread, GB itself is merely an incremental update on the Android 2 line.

ICS brings a lot to the table. For one, a hardware accelerated UI, which finally makes the Android UI competitive with iOS and WP7 in terms of speed and fluidness.

Second, a (Matias Duarte, i.e., "webOS inspired") redesigned UI. Particularly one that's supposed to run everywhere, and make it easy to write apps that tolerate different hardware profiles.

I don't know if Google is trying to pin ICS up against iOS 5 specifically or not. However, ICS does represent the greatest change in the phone-side of Android to date. Given that the previous two major Android refreshes were both launched and marketed on Verizon, I fail to see why this would would be shoved under the rug.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Does the manufacturer of the Nexus device want it to sell really well? Yeah, they get a lot of sales from it, but it undermines their brand identity and they have no contract with Google that says they are ever going to be asked to make a Nexus device again.
There's not that many Android OEMs. An OEM wants to make a solid device, even if not under their own branding, so they can secure future contracts. No there's no guarantee that the next Nexus is a Samsung, but if the Nexus S was a hardware shitheap, it definitely wouldn't be.

bull3964 posted:

Does the carrier want a Nexus device to be a success? They have less control over the device which brings fewer opportunities for additional revenue streams.
This argument is why the iPhone didn't launch on Verizon, and some believe it took them a while to take smartphones seriously.

Verizon's primary revenue comes from selling service, not VCast. If offering a Google/AOSP option nets customers they wouldn't otherwise have, paying $70-90+ a month, that's a reason to want a Nexus device to be successful.

bull3964 posted:

Does google want a Nexus device to be a success? This is a prickly question.
Of course they do, you're being silly.

bull3964 posted:

I will be completely surprised and shocked if this comes with a big Verizon blitz because it basically means google is trying to brand their own mainstream devices now. That has pretty serious implications for the future of android.
Google is trying to brand their own mainstream devices.

This Nexus S 4G commercial has been playing on prime-time television for months.

Seriously, I don't know if Google is trying to blitz the iPhone 5 with the Nexus Prime or not. However, Google has been stepping up, or at least encouraging, greater marketing and presence of Nexus devices with each successive model. It's really not that far fetched to think they would do the same with Verizon, especially on a device that is substantially different and improved from previous Android offerings.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Here's hoping for stock Android.
I doubt Google would want the ICS release device to ship with a custom UI, and I doubt that Samsung has had enough time to port TouchWiz over.

Also, it's interesting that it's going by the model SCH-I515 (Fascinate: SCH-I500, Charge: SCH-I510). Usually I don't put much significance into model numbers, but perhaps Samsung considers this, hardware-wise, to be an incremental change over the Charge? Also note Nexus S (GT-I9020) vs Galaxy S (GT-I9000), and Nexus S 4G (SPH-D720) vs Epic (SPH-D700).

As for whether it's a "Nexus in spirit" device, the two things I'd look for is a Fastboot-compatible bootloader (used in Nexus S, but no other Samsung device), and a new "devices/samsung/foo" AOSP git repo. Both should mean a high-priority CyanogenMod port and "easy" (in as much as supporting ICS is easy) source-based ROM support.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 29, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

This upgraded SGSII phone is what will become the Nexus Prime, but probably won't release to other carriers yet due to it being so close to the release of the SGSII.

I don't think Google has any qualms about releasing a Nexus ICS device over the SGSII in a short timeframe, and I'm not sure how much Samsung has to say in the matter. However, I always felt that October was an unrealistic release timeline for an LTE/CDMA/GSM/UMTS multi-carrier Nexus device launch (if such can even exist).

To be honest, this makes sense. Working with Samsung to get a Droid Prime released on Verizon in October to challenge the iPhone 5 makes absolute sense, and a Nexus Prime (or Nexus whatever) will probably release on GSM/UMTS carriers in Dec-Jan. Sprint will probably get a lol WiMAX model sometime next Spring.

bull3964 posted:

So, I can be confident buying the Bionic now and if the Droid Prime comes out before December 8th and it's awesome, I'll be able to exchange for it.
Since the Bionic is also OMAP, it wouldn't surprise me if it saw a somewhat-fast ICS port. Morotola might even fast-track one (at some expense of Blur?) to remain competitive with the Droid Prime.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 29, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Wow, that's really awesome, and kind of unreal.
Costco is known for having the best exchange/warranty policies out there. They highly prioritize customer satisfaction. If you're a member, it's usually worth purchasing any gadget-type item from them you can, if the price + sales tax is right.

Since they're a membership club, I wonder if they've ever terminated customers who abuse their policies a bit too much.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bob A Feet posted:

Can't you guys ever be satisfied with a device?
I don't think folks are intentionally planning to rip-off Costco.

As anyone who has ever owned a Samsung can attest, the major "device satisfaction" problem is not how it performs out of the box, but the ability/willingness of the manufacturer to properly support/updates it for, and within a reasonable period of time. And honestly, for any given device that's something nobody can know within Verizon's 14 day return window if the purchase it on release day. Is it, however, often apparent within 90 days.

From what I see, everyone who has mentioned picking up a Bionic at Costco wants to keep that phone long term. But if a Droid Prime comes out with ICS next month, and there's no sign of an update to the Bionic at the end of 90 days, or the Bionic turns out to be poo poo, they want to retain the option to exchange it for something that's going to do them better in the long term.

And honestly, I don't blame them for hedging their bets on this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Man, Costco really dropped the ball on this one.
That's pretty hosed up. I saw the bit about not being in until the 13th in a PCMag article that was linked on Google News, but didn't know what to make of it as it was the first time I've seen such a reference.

Plus, wouldn't it have been mentioned to the folks who called stores about it yesterday?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

slackerbitch posted:

Not especially, I just really want a physical keyboard. ... It's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to either compromise on that point, or leave Verizon.
But where would you go?

The MT4G Slide is pretty darn decent, better spec'd than the Droid 3. But that's the only other option. Sprint's hardware keyboard options are 2010-era devices that are either buggy-as-poo poo post GB upgrade (Shift), or from the get-go (Epic).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sadus posted:

I just assumed it did but apparently in Verizon's infinite wisdom Kansas City isn't even on the list for 4G in 2011.
Verizon decided to just not compete in Sprint's backyard?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ProjektorBoy posted:

I was under the impression that Verizon mandates data plans for qualifying smartphones.
They do, but the data add-on that doesn't seem to be his concern--he just doesn't want to sign a contract (or really, lose upgrade credit).

A used Droid X, Droid 2, or even Incredible are good options that will easily last until year's end. The original Droid would also work in a pinch, which you might be able to find particularly cheap since folks who got them are coming up on their two-year upgrades and nabbing Bionics. Fascinates are better spec'd than the OG Droid, but might also be a bigger hassle.

Avoid the Droid Eris, LG Ally, and Samsung Continuum. The LG Vortex might be OK, but I imagine you can find an OG Droid for the same price if not cheaper.

Edit: Added more phones.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowness 72 posted:

So - what's the best Android device right now?
Droid Bionic. It just came out two days ago, and if you're looking for 4G support in particular, it's the only Android phone worth considering if you're looking for something now. There's also rumors of the Droid Prime hitting in October or shortly after that some folks are waiting out for.

Lowness 72 posted:

Or at least, is there a selection of devices to look at?
There's a list on Verizon Wireless's website. The short of it is that you don't really want any of the other Android offerings if you're looking for something to maintain relevance for two years until her next upgrade.

The current crop of 3G-only devices aren't bad if you want to cheap out, or if she really doesn't like the Bionic. But I wouldn't expect them to maintain relevance in two years. The other 4G LTE devices (Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, Revolution) are last year's tech.

Lowness 72 posted:

Is there a family data plan? How does this work?
Nope, you pay (minimum) $30/mo for data on each smartphone line.

With Android you can cut out her SMS costs by using Google Voice for SMS. But if you already have unlimited family SMS, that only saves you $10/mo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ukrainius maximus posted:

I know it's probably old news, but I'm so glad I switched that on.
Is this OEM ROM Swype or the beta? If the former, you should really try the beta.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sohcahtoa82 posted:

I mean, if you already have a physical keyboard on your phone, why would you opt to use the touch-screen keyboard instead of the physical one?
It's not an all or nothing thing. Swype, SwiftKey, and whatever, are great for SMS, short emails, typing in a search query, basically 80% of my smartphone input needs (and I suspect 99% of everyone else's). But hardware keyboards have their place too.

I find Swype particularly advantageous because as I can use it one-handed in portrait without having to tap my thumb around all the time, which really helps with one-handed phone balance or whatever. Also, I don't have to turn the phone sideways and slide out the slider. The fact that the keyboard take up ~50% of the screen isn't a big deal because it's transient. It's only up when I'm acting typing something and out of the way the rest of the time. Compared to non-slider portrait hardware keyboards where the keyboard takes up half the front face all the time.

By far my #1 use of a hardware keyboard is for ConnectBot/ssh where none of the on-screen keyboard solutions are great for typing terse shell commands and making frequent use of "funny characters". Hacker's Keyboard goes a long way to make ConnectBot feasibly usable with an on-screen keyboard, but it's a bit cramped. It probably really needs a 4.5" screen or larger to be of sufficient utility.

My #2 use would be long emails. While a hardware keyboard is much better for typing those than an on-screen one, I've concluded you're not really meant to type long emails on phones and it's probably just better to wait those out.

So, realizing my #1 hardware keyboard use case is irrelevant to the vast majority of the smartphone population, I'm seriously reevaluating my needs here and trying to come up with a solution that allows me to escape using poo poo phones. I'm really serious that if they made an Otterbox or something with built-in bluetooth slider keyboard I'd just get that. It'd look silly as poo poo, but when I need to carry a hardware keyboard around I could, and when I don't I'd leave it alone. Only problem would be powering it--don't like the idea of having to charge it separately.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

I can't think of a single pragmatic advantage that the former has over the latter for mass-texters.
With SwiftKey you can keep jamming the Markov chain "you already know what I'm going to say" button to generate sentences that have equally useful content to what mass texters normally spam out anyways. Far more convenient.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

My advice on charging a Bluetooth keypad
So I didn't think any such product actually existed, for phones anyways. Then I found the iPhone 4 Keyboard Buddy Case.

If they made one for the Nexus whatever I'd buy the poo poo out of it. Honestly they can just make one keyboard with swappable mount clips so the only per-device custom part is a few bits of plastic. I wouldn't care if it wasn't quite the right shape or the camera didn't work.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Unormal posted:

Just got a Bionic,
Out of curiosity, did you spend any time with it in the store?

Is there a reason you didn't notice the screen until after you purchased it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Unormal posted:

I'm just putting in my two cents for people who are considering purchasing one sight unseen.
OK. I asked because folks have been asking "PenTile?" and I've been advising them to "check it out in a store to see if it's something you like, or if you could live with."

Given that you're pretty unhappy with it, I figure there might be some aspect of it that's not apparent in a store, or that folks need more time than casually looking at one to actually tell if it disturbs them. If so, I'd like to take that into account when advising folks in the future.

Sorry bro. :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kalibar posted:

Then again, I don't remember Ev-DO being anywhere near this bad back when I had a Touch Pro on Sprint SERO. I feel like it was pretty consistently above 1mbps.
Sprint's rev A is laughably bad now, far worse than Verizon. In many markets 300 Kb/s on a good day, up to 10x worse than that, making "56k go home" thread titles suddenly appropriate again.

Honestly it's capacity issues. Data usage hadn't yet exploded in the Touch Pro days.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

And so the Costco drama begins.
Amusingly enough I helped my folks upgrade to new dumbphones at the Costco kiosk the other day and asked about the exchange policy and was told the exact same thing. Then the girl said, well if my mother was really unhappy with her Cosmos (poo poo slider dumbphone) and wanted a Revere (poo poo flip dumbphone) within the 90 day window they could probably "work it out".

She then said "the problem is people keep coming in with this three-month-old phone" (pointing to the display Bionic) "and want to replace it with this brand new phone" (pointing to the Razr) and the exchange policy really isn't for a free upgrade. So, apparently it's actually a problem?

Costco is definitely eating the exchange costs, and at least unofficially they're trying to discourage the freebie upgrade but I think that's a bit disingenuous of them. It's total bullshit to buy a Razr today with the intention of exchanging it for a GNex in a month or two. However it's not bullshit to buy a Razr today, only to discover that it's a poo poo phone and it's driving you insane, and end up wanting to exchange it for a GNex because it's a phone that loving works. I imagine folks who got screwed in the G2x debacle would've taken the Costco-option out of it was available to them at the time.

Which makes me a bit curious. Honestly, most phone problems are software based (see LG, Samsung) and so all hardware is equally defective. A model-for-model exchange is ultimately useless, it just makes the customer go away for a while. With things like broken GPS, broken cellular radios, major-loving-software problems, the Costco exchange policy should address that kind of stuff, but I don't know if they intend it to or not.

Perhaps the real problem is that, moreso than other electronics, smartphones obsolesce really-loving-fast, and so folks will take advantage of the "free upgrade", and they're also really-loving-lovely too, so many folks will exchange and play the cell-phone-roulette game just to get a device that works.

Edit:

JP Money posted:

Who would've thought a store would resist a bunch of people basically loving them over on phones just to keep the best gadgetry in their pockets?
I agree, it's an obvious position for them to take. However,

1. Because it runs counter to their own (perhaps poorly-though out) written return policy.

2. Because Costco is particularly well known for its crazy-liberal return policies. People do occasionally return three-month-old 50" televisions no questions asked. So this reversal is particularly notable.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 20, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kalibar posted:

Google Voice is absurdly convenient and useful.
How is the integration of GV SMS on the iPhone? I know it's great on Android, but I'm curious if it's an acceptable alternative on iOS as well as, well, there's some folks I know who might like to save money.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JP Money posted:

By the time the nexus is out there will be a new, way better phone coming out 2 months later max that will make nexus owners feel inferior.
Actually I would bet this will not be the case. As others have mentioned, the N1 has/had a pretty long lifetime for an Android device. Spec-wise it wasn't significantly bested until dual-core devices came out earlier this year, and it had top-notch OS update support through GB. Also, hardware-wise, its successor the Nexus S isn't that significant improvement (though it did address the internal space and multitouch flaws). The most significant benefit of the NS over the N1 is official ICS support, but I imagine CM9 will come to the N1 should folks still punt on upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus.

That said, the N1 did have a few problems, most notable are the limited internal storage and multitouch issues. Aside from that, it was a pretty significant step up over contemporary Android devices and pushed the direction of Android hardware (while maintaining its own relevance) for at least a full year. I see the Galaxy Nexus doing the same, and it's not clear to me that a mythical quad-core device that might come out mid 2012 is going to perceptibly improve upon it.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Or look at how the original samsung galaxy series runs - like poo poo + gps doesn't work reliably, compared to even it's own loving remake (galaxy S 2) less than half a year later - gps still doesn't work reliably and now you have brightly polished turds (sprint complete signal loss issue for one example).
The SGS isn't really a good example for this point. Hardware-wise it was and-still-is a stellar device. What plagues it, and always has, is Samsung's poo poo software. The fact that the GPS never worked well on OEM ROMs is more a testament to the fact that "Samsung software has always been poo poo" rather than a comment on how quickly phones obsolesce.

More to the point, the SGS is essentially a Nexus S with a SD card slot and no NFC. While it's not a dual-core wonder, the SGS/NS with a proper software stack (e.g., CM7) handles everything you throw at it like a champ. If anything, one reason the SGSII is a bit less of a high-profile development target is because the SGS line is powerful enough that, for developers who have SGS devices, the SGSII isn't a significant enough improvement to represent a compelling upgrade.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

raej posted:

Is it worth switching to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus?
As stated in the Sprint thread, whether it's "worth" switching is up to your priorities. But between the Galaxy Nexus's release this week and the 4 GB LTE for $30/mo promo, this is probably the best time to switch to Verizon in-and-for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, well, when someone comes out with a phone with a keyboard AND an unlocked bootloader, then I'll be able to be picky in that regard.
Samsung Stratosphere :v:

Actually the Captivate Glide doesn't look to be a bad device, except it's Tegra 2 and an AT&T exclusive.

• Locked thread