Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does the corporate discount going away aspect also apply to the hotspot data plans? I am currently getting 22% off my 5GB hotspot plan and I will be pretty sore if they take it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Does the corporate discount going away aspect also apply to the hotspot data plans? I am currently getting 22% off my 5GB hotspot plan and I will be pretty sore if they take it off.

So I got a letter from Verizon in the mail yesterday, that apparently I was getting the corporate discount on my hotspot plan by mistake from day 1, and they'll be taking it off in the next billing cycle or two. They made sure to note "rest assured we will not retroactively bill you for our mistake."

Doh.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kirios posted:

Wait, where is this? I pull up my bill on Verizon's website and try to add this in there, but it shows 20 dollars a month.
Just go to the hotspot menu on your phone and use it. Don't try to add anything to your account.

Until July 6, it'll "just work" without you having the Mobile Hotspot feature on your account (assuming the free promo applies to your type of phone, anyway). After that you'll get an error message saying you need to add the feature.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The latest rumor right now is that the Bionic will be released on July 28th. It's just long enough to prevent anyone who's hopping on board verizon right now to get unlimited data from returning their phone and exchanging it for the Bionic.

I'm hopeful, but still unsure if I believe it. I have a feeling we'll be into August before it comes out.

Why not get this Amex feature and then pay full price for a Thunderbolt? Then you have six months to return it and claim a subsidized Droid Bionic later.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/premium-return-protection/home.do

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

tismondo posted:

Regardless of what happens to their monthly new subscriber rate, they've locked thousands of former dumbphone and feature phone users into new $30/mo data plans. All people who were considering getting smartphones eventually but were dragging their feet for whatever reason. In no way can this be viewed as a net negative for Verizon... it's great business.

Well, they just traded business later for business now, since they've snagged people who were probably going to get smartphones and $30/month data plans anyway, just later on.

Then again, I don't know if the "average" person knows or even cares about tiered data. They won't know until after next Thursday when they buy that hot new phone and then discover it costs :10bux: in data charges to watch a Netflix movie.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Any idea what sort of usage puts you in the top 5%?

I have had a Thunderbolt for only 8 days and have been streaming a lot from Google Music at work, and it looks like I've used up 1.7 GB so far.

Meanwhile my wife has had a Thunderbolt for barely a day, and she has burned through 100MB without even streaming any music. When she had an iPhone 4 on AT&T she used maybe 250MB/month, tops.

I'm glad I got in on the unlimited data before it was too late; these LTE phones make it stupid easy to use up tons of data.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The current CM7 build for Thunderbolt currently has issues with 4G (specifically, 4G "waking back up" after you leave wifi coverage -- you lose data service altogether after leaving wifi). But the wifi-3G handoff works fine if you lock it into 3G. Supposedly the maintainer of this build has fixed it, but they haven't re-rolled a new build yet.

Otherwise CM7 seems pretty awesome on the Thunderbolt. I tried it last week and liked it, but I flashed back to stock in the meantime until the 4G stuff is ironed out. I will go back the instant it's fixed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any price match period after in-store purchases?

That leaked screencap that suggested an iPhone 4 price drop also showed the Thunderbolt as being free. I bought one Thunderbolt a week and a half ago, and another one on Saturday.

The leak could be total bullshit, but if it turns out to be real, is there any way to get some money back if it happens within 14 or 30 days of when I bought the phones?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So was this rumor of $30 unlimited tethering on top of grandfathered unlimited data just a bunch of BS? I looked at the online account manager today and the only tethering plans I see have data caps.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

4G and good battery life do not go together. With 3G only on my Thunderbolt, I can get around 24 hours. With 4G on I'm lucky to get a third of that.

And I'm in a 4G saturated area.

My wife seems to get much worse battery out of her Thunderbolt than I do. I spend 8 hours a day in an office that has wifi and loud-and-clear 4G. Her office is right on the fringe of the LTE area and she says it bounces between CDMA and 4G a lot, so that's whats doing it.

I wouldn't say it's a copout response that Android phones in general are on the low end of battery life. I can only offer one other data point here but my old Nexus One was not all that better in terms of battery than my Thunderbolt is now. With both of them, I need to keep the phone plugged in at work if I plan on going out later that night, or else it'll be close to dead by 10 or 11pm. And I am really not that heavy a user, except for streaming music a lot.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

I've used Seidio cases on my past 3 phones and I'll swear by them.

This is what I'm using now, except it's blue.

I'm using this same case on my Thunderbolt, no holster though.

Usually I get fed up with phone cases after a week and just go naked with it, but I'm still really happy with this one. It does create a bit of bulk that makes it tough getting in and out of my pocket if I'm wearing jeans, but otherwise it seems good.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Not with that God awful 4G battery life it supposedly has.

What's the point of owning a sweet phone like that if your afraid of using the thing because you'll kill the battery so quick?

I broke down and bought the extended Thunderbolt battery today, my phone now looks like a camel with the giant hump on the back :cry:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

NewcastleBrown posted:

How does this work? I'm not questioning you, I'm just ignorant.

You pay the same monthly amount whether your phone is fully paid for, or whether you took a phone with a subsidy. If you're not "working off" a phone, you're basically throwing money away.

So if you're actually planning to stay on Verizon for 2 years it makes sense to take the discounted phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So the "world phones" Verizon sells have a Verizon/Vodafone SIM in them to support GSM roaming. Have they combined this at all with the SIMs used for LTE yet?

More specifically: My Thunderbolt does not support GSM roaming. But If I were to take the SIM out of an LTE phone, put it in a GSM phone, and went overseas, would it roam on whatever GSM networks Verizon had agreements with (presumably Vodafone)?

My GSM phone at least recognizes the LTE SIM and can see my Verizon phone number, but obviously doesn't get any service because why the hell would Verizon have a GSM roaming agreement with T-Mobile or AT&T in the US. But would it get service in a Vodafone operated territory overseas, or do you still need to go to Verizon and rent some temporary SIM & phone if you don't have an "official" Verizon world phone?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 24, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Costco is known for having the best exchange/warranty policies out there. They highly prioritize customer satisfaction. If you're a member, it's usually worth purchasing any gadget-type item from them you can, if the price + sales tax is right.

Since they're a membership club, I wonder if they've ever terminated customers who abuse their policies a bit too much.
Their return policy is awesome and it sucks that people abused it to get free computer upgrades. Now electronics are excluded from the "if you bought it here, take it back any time, no questions asked" return policy, but everything else is perfectly OK to return even a decade later so long as you're a member.

I read at one point the rule was that if the total dollar amount of your returns in a given year exceeded the dollar amount of purchases, they reserved the right to cancel your membership (probably something done at a manager's discretion if you were a problem customer). I have never known anyone who first-hand tested this though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'm not sure that rooting requires a wipe on the Thunderbolt (although it might). If you can root before you wipe, I'd install Titanium Backup from the Market and backup all your app data if you care about stuff like scores in games or apps with a million options. Other than that, happy rooting!

The revolutionary.io root is nondestructive. It seems like people are recommending this now rather than playing three card monte with the RUUs and leaked bootloader.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Laranzu posted:

So verizon is telling me I can keep my unlimited plan and add tethering and get a bionic. How much smoke is being blown up my rear end right now?

None. You keep unlimited data with a 4G phone upgrade and there is a $30 unlimited tethering plan available if you have grandfathered unlimited data and an LTE device.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I am not happy with my Thunderbolt at this point and I'm thinking of selling it and switching to an iPhone 5 when it comes out.

It sounds like the next iPhone supporting LTE is really kind of a Hail Mary play at this point, and that's fair. But will that jeopardize my unlimited data in any way to switch down to a 3G phone (and will it kill any chance for upgrading back to LTE later and keeping unlimited)?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Marketing Shill posted:

I had the 4g mifi and it did the same poo poo. I think it's more on an issue with the 4g networks because the 3g usb and the 3g mifi I have work great all the time

I've had the Samsung LTE hotspot since April and it liked to drop connections all the time, but the most recent firmware update from a couple weeks ago seems to have fixed that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thunderbolt 2.3.4 OTA is rolling out, and it has reportedly broken voicemail notifications. That is, it's not notifying you at all when a voicemail rolls in.

If you're one of the 3 people still trapped in the '90s and are using the dial-in voicemail service, caveat emptor.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

404notfound posted:

I'm staring at the update screen right now. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by voicemail notifications. Will this affect me if I switched over to using Google Voice for voicemails?

If you use Verizon's visual voicemail or are already set up to forward your voicemail to Google Voice, it won't matter to you.

If you use Verizon's dial-in voicemail feature by dialing *VM to listen to your messages, you will supposedly not get the indicator in your status bar telling you that you have a message waiting. I use Google Voice, but the people in the XDA forums are screaming up a storm about this.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just because the phone was a warranty replacement doesn't mean it doesn't belong to you; it's yours to sell.

The replacement is provided for under the warranty and even if you sell your TB you're still "paying off" the subsidy for it on your monthly bill for the rest of your contract, so it's not like Verizon's getting screwed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any way to break contract without actually canceling service? That is pay my ETF, go month to month immediately and be upgrade eligible?

We're 3 months into a 2 year contract and my wife hates her Thunderbolt so we've decided to get an iPhone. Verizon wants $649 for a 4S apparently since I am not upgrade eligible.

Being 3 months in, the prorated ETF is $320. I could port the number to a Tracphone or something and then back to Verizon to get an iPhone for $200 - making the whole affair $130 cheaper, except I'd lose unlimited data.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

You could add-a-line. <thinks> But then you'd have to get data for that line, turning it into a $40/mo liability... hmm.

Just so there's a point to this post, your port-out port-in method won't work without 90 days in between, because Verizon won't consider you a new customer. Unless you come in with your wife's SSN.

So what's stopping me from doing an add a line to get an iPhone at $199, then doing an ESN swap to put that phone on her line, and finally turning around and canceling the new line? At $350 ETF + $199 for the phone its still cheaper than $649.

Edit 2: I assume this would keep my unlimited data too on that line, right?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 6, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

So I am thinking of moving over to Verizon from AT&T. I've been with AT&T since late 05 (well, I used to be part of Cingular). I'm moving to Boise, Idaho and I've heard that Verizon gets a little better service in the area, not too much better, but slightly better nonetheless. I currently have an iPhone 3GS and would be upgrading to the 4S if I switched.

I currently pay about $120 a month for 900 minutes a month and an unlimited data plan.

Is there any specific reason I should/should not move over to Verizon?

The tradeoff here is getting a more reliable signal from Verizon, vs faster data (HSDPA vs EVDO) and no limit to it. Realistically an AT&T iPhone 4S will probably be a fair bit faster on the data side, assuming you get a decent signal.

If I were you I'd wait till I moved and tried it out for a little while to see how AT&T is there before giving up my unlimited data.

edit: beaten

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Has it been settled whether an ESN swap from an LTE to a CDMA only device immediately kills your SIM? I thought you had some period of time (measured in days) to change your mind before the SIM was permanently ruined, but it seems like I was wrong? The Verizon website keeps rejecting my old SIM card number.

I did an ESN swap with my Thunderbolt to an iPhone on Saturday, and now I've decided to go back to the TB and wait for a 4S or Galaxy Prime, but I guess I can't do that unless I go get a new SIM now?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 11, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

tismondo posted:

I'm on a family plan and upgraded to a bionic a month ago at Costco. As it turns out I'm now trying to decide if I'm going to go to grad school abroad in the next 6 months... if I do that I obviously won't be here to use my phone.

This begs the question - does my 2 year extension of service apply to my calling plan AND my data plan? ie - in March before I leave could I downgrade to a feature phone and only continue paying the per-line fee, rather than the per-line fee + $30 for data?

From my reading of the contract I was given at costco, I'm only on the hook for a 2 year extension of my calling plan, not my data. Hoping to get some confirmation on that here before I call to start figuring out the nuts and bolts of how I'm gonna do this.

Don't forget that the ETF is prorated and drops $10 every month you have service, so you'll be probably 7 months in by the time you move, and you're down to $280 by that point rather than the full $350.

Then if you keep the line and cut it down to a dumbphone plan, you're paying $10/month plus taxes. I don't know what your locality comes out to be but my mother in law has a dumphone on my shareplan and it ends up being $13/month after taxes, so I'm going to use that in my calculations here.

Paying the remaining 17 months at $13/month comes out to $221, so really you're doing all that to save $60. If I were in your shoes I'd just port the number to Google Voice so I could keep it when I came back home, and pay the ETF to be done with it all.

edit: Also, yes, check your Costco contract because some resellers do put their own 6 month ETFs in there that DO require keeping the data plan for that 6 months too (this is the case with Amazon). I assume this is because Verizon has a clawback clause in the vendor contracts that keeps them from getting their commission if you change plans or cancel too soon. I don't see anything on Costco's website about this but you should look at the paperwork Costco gave you.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 12, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

When I swapped from the TB to the Pre2, the website said I had 90 days before my sim was deactivated. However, when I tried to go back to the TB after 1 week, I couldn't reactivate my card and had to swing by my local VZW corporate store. I'm not sure if I'm the exception but the guy at the Verizon store said something that my Pre2 wouldn't release my ESN or something wacky.

I stopped into a corporate store this morning to get a new SIM and the guy tried activating it for me. It took him 45 minutes and a phone call to Verizon's support line to do it. I don't know if it was the swap to a CDMA only device that fouled things up or if he was just incompetent, but either way it was annoying.

After seeing how a CDMA iPhone actually behaves in the real world I realized I missed the LTE device, warts and all. I was getting flashbacks to being on my EDGE iPhone 4 years ago.

The wife loves her Verizon iPhone but she mainly uses it for email and maybe does 200 mb of data a month tops, so the speed means nothing to her.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 12, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Phandroid is claiming that Google and Samsung are pretty much handling the release of the Galaxy Prime without much input from Verizon.

gently caress em I say.

Now if only they would quit messing around with all these targeted leaks (you can't convince me the leaked images and apks were not intentionally done same time as they delay the press event so as to let people down easy and keep buzz going) and announce it, so I can give them my credit card number and get this all over with.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 12, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

The thing is, I have noticed how blazing fast LTE is and it's really awesome, but there aren't many cases in which I wish my phone's data speed was faster. I use my phone 90% of the time for phoning/texting/playing games/camera, and I only web browse when I need to look something up or use Google Maps. I feel like 3G can handle that.

As far as the phoning/texting/playing games/camera use, doesn't the iPhone do all that better, basically? I've never owned an iPhone, I just am worried that I'll lose some awesome feature when I dump Android for iOS. Is Google Maps/navigation free on the iPhone?

I am cool with a smaller screen, non-removable battery and lack of LTE. If there are other significant drawbacks to the iPhone then I may not switch.
There is Google Maps, but no Navigation. You'll need to pay for a turn by turn navigation app.

I swapped my wife from a TB to an iPhone this past weekend and after playing with hers some I figured I'd give it a go myself (we both had been using iPhone 4 on AT&T before switching to Verizon). You have to admit that the screen is beautiful, the camera is nice, and the media player is that much better too. I also like a little more how the copy & paste functions allow you to C&P rich text and paste it into MMS, etc. Battery life is awesome, too, you can take an iPhone off the charger at 6am, use the hell out of it over the course of a day and be at 50% battery when you go to bed at midnight.

On the other hand, I took the iPhone back to the store after 3 or 4 days. If there were an LTE iPhone this would be a non-issue. I have been spoiled by LTE and now I can't go back. The EVDO service just felt awful to use for me. I tried checking a ballgame score inside a building and it felt like I was using the original EDGE iPhone in that it took a good minute for the MLB site to load. Near my office, I couldn't get better than 300Kbps down, and maybe 500Kbs on average in a lot of other places. I get 20Mbps on LTE.

I like to stream Netflix and HBO Go on my phone (it makes it easier for me to talk myself into going to the gym if I can watch The Wire while I'm there) so for me, obviously the LTE is a better choice. The LTE also seemed to be more reliable inside buildings in general.

But if you don't care about streaming or browsing a whole lot, and you just want to send texts, do email, and play games from time to time, the iPhone's EVDO is ok, I'd imagine. My wife falls into that category and she has absolutely no complaints about her iPhone.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 14, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Laranzu posted:

4G is dead here in Honolulu for some reason. After an hour of no data connectivity, it seems they failed over to the 3G network. So painful.

According to some guy on Reddit who claims to work for VZW, it's a systemwide outage

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/lekph/4g_outage_info_10162011/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I wonder what commission Costco gets for putting you on a 2 year contract, if they'd rather sell you no device at all than sell you one outside of your contract.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Traxis posted:

I've had unlimited data since about 20 months ago when I bought my Droid. My Droid died, I bought a 4S and they switched me to 2gb/mo. Was this a mistake, should I have been able to keep my unlimited data? I'm not the primary account holder, if it matters.

Should I have my girlfriend call and threaten to switch to Sprint if I don't get my unlimited data back?

Did you do this at an Apple store? I know that when I bought one for my wife, the POS app the salesman was using had the 2GB plan at the very top of the list. His first question was "So you want the 2GB data for $30/month, right?"

The unlimited one was way at the bottom out of sight and he had to scroll to the end to find it.

I wonder how many other people have been knocked off their unlimited plans because of this.

Also, I keep wondering if the "you can keep your unlimited if you upgrade to an LTE handset" policy will go away whenever an LTE iPhone rolls out.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

vanilla slimfast posted:

Ok so I have a scenario here that hopefully you all can help me figure out the best course of action for.

I recently switched from T-Mobile to Verizon when I did a pre-order iPhone 4S. My wife stayed behind on T-Mobile because her contract isn't up until next year. What I didn't realize when I made this move was that changing the T-Mobile family plan to a single-line plan would require a contract extension.

So now I'm saying gently caress it and pulling her over to Verizon to join my account here and eating the ETF. The issue is that I wanted to get her an iPhone as well but they are backordered everywhere. The local Verizon store doesn't have any nor an ETA, and Apple's site says that it's 1-2 weeks and all of the in-store reservations simply say "unavailable"

I'm fine with ordering online and waiting, but I want to get her line moved over in the next few days as that is when our T-mobile billing cycle ends. We've already put feelers out to see if any friends have a spare Verizon phone we could use for a few weeks but I wasn't sure if there were any other good options for a stop-gap while waiting for the iPhone?

Alternatively, is there another place we could check to try and find an iPhone in stock?

What time did you check the in-store reservations on Apple's site? They will all say "unavailable" if you check before 9pm local time, and they turn unavailable again after midnight or if the day's stock is already sold out. Also, at 6pm they release whatever phones were reserved for that day and not picked up yet, so you can always try stopping into a store at that time too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/verizon-4g-iphone-block/all/1

The article talks about the rules affecting a future LTE iPhone, but doesn't the open access condition on the LTE spectrum Verizon uses pretty much mean the devices can't have locked bootloaders?

quote:

“The interpretation that the rules would ensure all handsets sold by the licensee would be unlocked was the clear intent from Chairman Martin at the time,” Markham said, referring to Kevin Martin, the Republican who headed the FCC at the time the auction rules were set.

When Martin testified to Congress about the provision, Martin made it clear that that “this condition means all handsets will be unlocked and open to all apps,” according to Markham.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aatrek posted:

When it's available off-contract, what's the best place to buy the Nexus? Right from Verizon? The website only offers 'month-to-month' service pricing, not 'off-contract' preorders for the RAZR, for example.

By "off-contract" you mean you are want to buy it, but like me, you are not upgrade eligible?

Aren't "month to month" and "off-contract" the same thing? That is, come in off the street as a new customer, pay full price with no subsidy, and in exchange you have no contract. Or you are an existing customer who pays full price because you already burned your subsidy something else.

I was planning to buy mine through Verizon and pay the month-to-month price, assuming that's how it's going to work. Say what you will about Apple, but they certainly do product launches right. They show the product off, then tell you when you can buy it, where you can buy it, and how much.

Compare to Samsung/Google who spends an hour showing you some super awesome device and then abruptly ends the show with an implicit "well, someday you'll get to buy it."

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 29, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

As a Bionic owner, I'm kinda pissed they would introduce a product that's literally twice as thin and boasts as good or better battery life and better specs overall within a month of their long-anticipated and supposedly flagship phone.

I thought the issue was the Bionic was supposed to have been out before the summer even began? So since that got held up, they now have two devices released rapid-fire like this.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The people to really feel bad for are those who bought the Charge or Thunderbolt in July or August.
I honestly can't figure out why Verizon is even selling these with a clear conscience at this point. Whatever is left of the stock of Thunderbolts should be bulldozed and buried in the desert where they dumped those ET cartridges for the Atari 2600.

I bought mine July 4 weekend at a Verizon shop so I'm stuck with this hunk of trash. At least the Gingerbread update seems to have massively helped battery life to where I don't need to have it plugged in at my desk at work all day even with that giant extended battery.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ciabatta posted:

I thought that might be the case. Does literally nowhere get cheaper? I just checked Amazon Wireless and Droid Charge is still $679.99 ($20 off retail price!). I thought it would just be Verizon keeping such high prices for so long.

Resellers like Amazon will keep the price high (or even higher than Verizon's price) anyway because they'd otherwise make no margin on full-retail sales. They make money when they sign people on to a new contract or an upgrade and get a commission for putting someone on a 2-year commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Pretty sure we are supposed to call the things Verizon does to their phones "features."

This is why phones that do nothing are called "feature phones."

• Locked thread