Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

So here's a question - how long can I sit on my early-upgrade and final New Every Two discounts before they are lost to me? Can I extend my contract without buying a new phone and still retain them? Because I really don't want to blow them on, say, a Droid 3, but I'd rather buy a Droid 3 than lose them altogether while vainly waiting for a good (read: one with a hardware keyboard) LTE phone. :(
When I bought my Droid 2, it was cheaper to buy it from Amazon than it was to buy it from Verizon and use my NE2.

So unless you're buying a phone day one, you probably won't miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

My Droid 2 isn't too bad as far as battery life. I charged it Friday night and unplugged it yesterday around 8am. I used it a bunch (web, calls, and texting) yesterday, and left it unplugged last night.

It's currently at 30% battery and will pro ably go the rest of the day.

I do typically charge it every night, but thats just the reality with a smartphone. I have a Blackberry Bold from work and I charge it maybe twice a week, but if you don't have a legitimate reason to have email access on the go, it is pretty terrible at normal smartphone stuff. It is fantastic for email / calendar / SMS, but web browsing, games, and apps are significantly lacking.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Question for the Verizon employees here:

Last September (2010), I added my grandmother to my family share plan so she could get off a prepaid cell phone and on to something a little more reliable.

We just had to move her into a nursing home, and it's likely she won't be able to go back home. She obviously doesn't need the cell phone anymore, so my Mom asked if I could cancel the line.

Assuming a $5/mo prorate on the ETF, it makes more sense for me to cancel the line rather than pay another 11 months of $10+taxes to run out the contract.

Is there any way they'll waive the ETF in this case? I'd rather not pay it if I can.

VV I thought about going the "Grandma died" route, but I've heard they ask for proof so that won't work. Maybe I'll just call and hope for a sympathetic CSR.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 30, 2011

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI for anyone planning on buying a Razr Maxx at Costco. I tried last night and they told me it was one of their "home delivery" phones - so they didn't have any in store. When he tried to get the order going, it wasn't showing up in his system to order. He said that's typically a sign that they are converting it to a "store" phone (where you can get them in store) and didn't have any ideas as to when they might be getting them.

So if you're trying to make the 6/28 deadline like I am, you might want to order on their website and hope you get it in time.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

What numbers do I need off a Razr Maxx to activate it? I'm traveling for work tomorrow and my new phone is scheduled to be delivered to my house. I won't be home until Friday, at which point it will be too late to preserve my unlimited data. I can have someone pick up the package and get me the info I need, but that someone will probably be my my Mom, so I want to give her a heads up as to what she's going to be looking for.

Hopefully I can activate it without it being on my person. I'll be without a phone for a couple days, but I'll have my work issued Blackberry so I won't be completely disconnected.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Fluue posted:

Does anyone know if Verizon would provide a 4G SIM card for a Droid 4 if I purchased it from eBay or another 3rd-party source? A listing I'm looking at says that a SIM card is not included in the lot.
When I activated my Razr Maxx on the website, there was an option to request a sim there. You might be able to walk into a store and have them give you one there and activate it for you.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

The Flying Milton posted:

I'm kind of retarded and this is a huge thread so, quick question.

Do I need to pay for VZ Navigator to use GPS apps?

No. Google maps works fine.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm going to get hit with the $20 increase in unlimited data, so I'm thinking about moving off of my existing "Nationwide" family plan to one of the new Verizon plans. I am looking at the 12gb/mo plan. A couple of questions:

1) Where does my 20% line access discount come into play? On the $80/month base for the plan?
2) I am eligible for an upgrade, the other two phones are not until 11/16 (for both). Can I upgrade my phone at subsidized pricing, then switch to the new plan? If not, will the contract end dates of my other two lines impact my ability to switch to a Verizon plan?
3) What does a dumbphone cost per month on a Verizon plan? Right now I have two iPhones and 1 flip phone. I'd like to keep it that way since the flip phone user doesn't really need a smartphone. Although three smartphones @ $20/month will mean I pay about what I pay now, not including my 20% discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Cozmosis posted:

2) You can, but you'll pay an extra $20 per line to be on contract with it.

So if I switch to the Verizon Plan, it'll cost me $20/mo per phone for the other two phones that are still on contract until 11/2016?

That being the case. I'll be better off paying the $20/mo extra for my unlimited data on my line and waiting a year on those other two phones, then moving to the Verizon Plan.

• Locked thread