Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LE
Oct 19, 2002

Posting to say that I made the switch from a Thunderbolt to the Droid Charge, and I'm actually quite satisfied with the decision.

I can live with the Verizon shitware on there (which I maintain is really stupid) on this one because at least it doesn't die from lack of sufficient power after an eight hour shift.

Touchwiz, having never used it before, isn't that bad, but I can see where a lot of people would get irritated with it. For me, it hasn't brought any grief.

I won't say that all Thunderbolt owners need to toss their phone of choice and get a Droid Charge, but if battery life is a severe annoyance for you, I would highly recommend at least going to a store and playing with one for a little bit. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LE
Oct 19, 2002

Mighty Horse posted:

I would. The stock un-rooted firmware on the T-Bolt is a mess. The Charge at least doesn't have Sense UI FC on me 5 times a day just sitting on my desk charging, nor does it require me to reboot it constantly to keep it from running dog slow.

yes, I know you can root and fix things, blah, blah. I get it. But I can't expect my customers to do that. We are running a 60-70% return rate on the T-Bolt now, and new sales have dropped into the toilet. Meanwhile we can't keep Dinc2s on the shelf.

But...there is no excuse for touchwiz. Thank god for launcher pro. Anxiously awaiting the Revolution. You better not let me down like HTC did, LG.

in other news, been running a Home Phone Connect for 2 weeks now. Works as advertised. make sure to "decline voicemail" as there is little point as my phone has a really nice digital answerer in it. Only drawback is the lack of caller id w/ name like being bitched about above. I went from paying AT&T about 100 a month for awful 3mb/768k DSL + Landline to paying VZW $20 + Comcast $45(after 6 months of $29.99) for 12m/3m internet, I can live without the name.

Regarding the bit that I bolded: fuckin aye, that's a crazy high return rate.

I know that the rooting/rom community has embraced the hell out of the device (which is fine, I get that), but I find it odd that they're all so quick to dismiss the Droid Charge. I'm assuming that they just have a grudge against Samsung. This may not be entirely unfounded, but even Cyanogen said that he likes where Samsung is going. The Droid Charge's bootloader is also unlocked by default, ffs.

The only two technological advantages the Thunderbolt has, that I can think of right now, are 256MB of extra RAM, and the use of two radios, which allows one perk: Voice & Data at the same time, even if you're not in a 4G area (which the Droid Charge can't do.) This does come at the expense of battery life though. It's my understanding that the Thunderbolt uses Qualcomm chipsets, which are power hungry, whereas the Droid Charge uses a Samsung chipset, that by all accounts, appears to be way more power efficient.

Also the physical buttons are great. :keke:

• Locked thread