Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Codiusprime posted:

What are they doing to keep the Bionic up to date? I haven't read anything about improvements, I'm really happy they are going that route though. Happy and surprised.

Motorola was quoted as saying it was going back in to get some cosmetic and software improvements to keep it at the top of its class. It came out later that LTE didn't play nice with Tegra chips and was causing massive overheating. So, I'm going to assume that they're working on making the device slimmer, and with better heat sinking. Or, maybe they're waiting for qualcomm to come around.

What I really wish is that they kept the same form factor, but made the battery even bigger (bigger than 1930, yes) to enable us to enjoy using the phone for more than a day of moderate/heavy use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
After waiting out a few days, I finally updated my Thunderbolt to 2.3.4. It's really snappy so far and haven't run into any real issues. The new Sense3.0 lockscreen is particularly nice, with quicklinks to camera, phone, messages, and mail. It may actually replace the Zeam/Handcent combo ive been using

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I have Gingeritis beta 6 (installing 7 as we speak), on Imsoyens kernel.

The camera works, but is a bit laggy. I used it a good deal today when out hiking. The GPS also works, as I had to use it to navigate to the mountain. 4g was fine, after I rebooted 4 times (which they said to do). Haven't done a speedtest of it, though. Camcorder hasn't been used but it is accessible with no force close.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

How is battery life? Noticably different? I'm using Tesla Coil at the moment and everything works well, I don't really see a reason to switch yet unless everything works just as well or better. I was going to wait until the betas were done and they had official releases. Is this a good plan or are these betas good enough for daily use?

They are ready to be used as daily drivers with only a couple drawbacks. The only big ones I find is that the syncing with HTC Hub isn't working, which won't allow me to set a constant location for my weather widget, which then requires use of gps every time you update the weather. Haven't gotten a chance to use the battery but I'll trip report tomorrow.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
Double post: gingerbread gently caress yeah!

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

:siren: Thunderbolt gingerbread users :siren:

Your phone is a ticking time bomb, revert back to froyo asap. http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/25/urgent-leaked-thunderbolt-gingerbread-radio-may-cause-hard-bricks-we-advise-you-revert-to-froyo/

:negative:

I was really enjoying the Sense3.0 lockscreen

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I checked out the Revolution today, wasn't that bad. Sitting next to the Charge, though, the screen looked like crap. Still on par with the Thunderbolt screen though. I would get the Revolution if I thought there would be any dev support, but I think it's one of those middle of the road phones that will become the new Eris

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Is that 4G? That's pretty terrible.

Guessing(hoping) he's not in a LTE-activated area.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't understand why you'd want to extend a contract without buying a subsidized phone.

In the event of unlimited data going the way of the do-do it would be cool to be able to buy 4 years worth of the plan, worry about phones later.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That is unlikely to help you.

Verizon typically requires certain feature codes per device. If/when they introduce tiered data plans, they will likely require all new phones released after that date to use one of the tiered data feature codes and have the unlimited ones locked out. That means, if you want to buy one of those phones retail, you will have to change the features on your account so that they meet the requirements of the device (in that case it would be tiered data.)

They will not be breaking the terms of your contract by doing so either which would get you out of an ETF. Your contract does not ensure that you will be able to buy the latest and greatest LTE phone full retail and activate it on your plan. Since you would still be able to use the plan on the device you were originally using with it, they are fulfilling their end of the contract.

That may have been true on previous Verizon handsets, but LTE equipped phones come with LTE simcards, which should allow a greater degree of interoperability.

I recognize though that this is all conjecture at this point

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Pianist On Strike posted:

I picked up a Thunderbolt over Memorial Day weekend.
4G on - battery died in about 3 hours
4G off - battery died in about 6 hours
4G off, installed one of those "power saving" apps (Green Power, free version) - ~50% battery power after 18 hours. amazing.

Are there any drawbacks to the battery saving apps? Why are they so magical? Before I downloaded Green Power I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the phone but now I love it 100%.

:ssh: they turn off your auto-syncing and data connection when your screen isn't on

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is that such a bad thing?

Not at all, I use JuiceDefender on my T-bolt. I don't know how much better it is, since as soon as I use my phone, my battery life goes back to being garbage. It's useful if you're not the type to use the phone much, but as soon as those radios come into use and the screen is on, it goes back to draining super fast.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
The only issue I have with htc is their unwillingness to use a bigger battery. I mean seriously, a 1400 mah battery on a 4.3 in slcd with a 4g radio?! And people have complained about that poo poo forever. The incredible was nice, but cept the battery sucked. The Evo was amazing, cept the battery sucked. The Thunderbolt literally had to come stock with a fatass battery door and extended battery because of was that bad.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Panthrax posted:

What's up with this Thunderbolt rebooting poo poo? It's done it a couple times, but no big deal, but tonight I was on the phone and it rebooted itself. If I root and put a ROM on, will that fix it? Or is there word when a new update is coming out to fix it?

The OTA update apparently caused that. If you take it to the Verizon store, they are instructed to replace them. If you really get irate and upset, you can probably convince them to give you a Charge or a Revolution if you'd rather get something else.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
Don't know if anyone else has flashed the new leaked MR2 radio for the Thunderbolt, but the battery life is much better, and the thing doesn't overheat either. Still doing real testing on battery life, will report more in depth later.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
yeah, great, make it so that you have to use netflix on wifi.

Lets get this right: we have a phone with a 4 in screen, I have to be connected to wifi to use, and I'll also need to be plugged in to a charger because the battery dies after 2 hours. :thumbsup: this is way better than a laptop or tv!

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
If I had to take a guess, it's because over the next two years or so they are going to start using VoLTE which is wholly data transmission. So, if people aren't going to need cell signal then cell minutes becomes non-existent, and it's all just data. Suddenly paying 80/mo for 10 gb that covers both my phone use and data use isn't so bad.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Forever is a strong term.

We'll probably have it until AT&T blinks and takes away the grandfathered data on their network. Then Verizon will phase it out by requiring a new dataplan code on all new devices moving forward.

I'm just banking on a big backlash over caps with respect to available services like Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and Netflix over the next two years of my contract so that I won't have to worry about it ever.

Yeah, my hope is that eventually the Proletariat will stage an uprising after AT&T and Verizon offer plans that are so restrictive that everyone is getting overage fees from standard use.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I'm not one for crossposting XDA, but there's been some clamoring over a GB OTA for the Thunderbolt, prompting a very good response:

loonatik @ XDA posted:

Might I make a suggestion? How about y'all take a look over in the dev forum. Take a long, hard look at the roms available over there. The 605.7 builds are solid, but the radios for them are junk. The MR2 builds are... scarce to say the least (I think there's a whopping 3 of them?). And the Gingerbread builds are all built from a very flawed alpha leak that these guys have boldly and skillfully nursed into something approaching useful. I would be shocked and amazed to see Gingerbread officially released by the end of the year. They've known for a long time now there are serious issues with the officially released radios and we don't even have an OTA that tends to THAT YET. How is it that some VERY, VERY, VERY fake looking announcement hooks so many of you? Really. I mean, do you REALLY think that overweight button-pushing slug across the counter could tell you the radio version of the phone he just handed you? Or better yet, that average Joe that slug just handed the phone to! What this SHOULD tell you is that anything looking as FAKE as that press release or whatever it was looked AND displays such superfluous details such as the radio version is.... oh, what's that technical term I'm looking for.... ah, it's BULLSHIT. Some of you need to look at the top of your phone. See that funky checkmark? Yeah... just like the one your teacher put on your homework when ya got the answer wrong... and ask yourself "Gee. Considering this is Verizon, the SAME folks that brought us the Blackberry Storm, is it remotely likely they're going to surprise us with a sudden update to the latest and greatest?" You're answer should sound like "Uh... no... not even if I went to the CEO's office and performed fellatio on him until 'can ya hear me now' sounded like 'caaa ya ear eee owww'.

:staredog:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Radio Nowhere posted:

Frederick, MD goon here reporting 4G as of 10 minutes ago on my T-Bolt. I don't even remember our city even being mentioned in the press releases but I'll take it! Now I get to join other t-bolt users in worrying about battery life, but damnit it's worth the 10X speeds.

heh, I guess now you don't have to come down to Rockville to experience the thrill anymore :dukedog:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
4.5 sounds like a great size if the battery matches it. I swear to God if another phone comes out with a >4" screen and less than 1500 mah battery, I'm going to take hostages.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Any idea what sort of usage puts you in the top 5%?

I have had a Thunderbolt for only 8 days and have been streaming a lot from Google Music at work, and it looks like I've used up 1.7 GB so far.

I've run up an average of about 5gb a month from streaming music. One month I had 8.5gb. Nothing serious, but I basically had to TRY and use that much data, and that was with music streaming 20+ hours a week (I use it to stream Slacker Radio at my bar over the speakers). Never heard anything from them, so I assume it was within acceptable usage.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Feel free to peruse the devices thread for my concerns on the Charge. But the short answer is that the ThunderBolt already has CyanogenMod builds available (although not yet stable) whereas CyanogenMod support for the Charge is going to be difficult as it is with other Samsung CDMA devices.

The gingerbread sense roms for the ThunderBolt are solid. Cm7 isn't the only game in town.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

nickhimself posted:

Anyone have any idea when my Thunderbolt will finally get Gingerbread?

In about an hour if you grow a pair and flash one of the stable gingerbread ROMs that are available.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Fiannaiocht posted:

Cool my mom used my upgrade to get an iPhone yesterday and now my unlimited data is 2gb. And what possible reason could Verizon have to need my meid and reactivate my phone when it was nothing at all to use my moms upgrade to get my own iPhone a couple of months ago.

bet your mom got suckered in by a dipshit verizon employee

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

sadus posted:

Whoops, I meant to say no video chat slider in that calculator, not voice chat.

Anyway, if most people don't currently use more than 2GB currently, that's all the more reason not to be over-charging people who do use proper amounts of bandwidth, they have the capacity to handle it. They've had no trouble making more than a billion a month in profit with unmetered plans up until now, price gouging customers is attempting to fix a financial problem that doesn't exist.

The lovely part is that they would have had a serious angle on AT&T. "We have the iPhone, AND we have unlimited data. Beat that, bitch".

It's like they decided long term contracting opportunity wasn't worth a quick cash grab. I know of two people personally who switched from AT&T on the 6th to get unlimited data. And the lines out the door at many major retailers tells you that it's worth it to the consumer too.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

All Verizon Phones (Samsung Fascinate) should work flawlessly with Google Voice, correct?

It's not working for me.

In all honesty, I haven't been able to get a single phone to work with Google Voice. Not my Craptivate, not my Atrix, and not my Thunderbolt. Every time I switched from My Carrier to GV, it gave me a failure.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

JayKay posted:

According to Twitter, the next ota update for the Thunderbolt will patch out the exploits that are used for rooting. So basically if you're thinking about rooting, do it now before the update gets pushed.

Real G's just wait for the devs to take out and release the updated radios.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
The biggest issue I have with recommending any of the 4g phones is the battery life. I've been doing all kinds of tweaking, flashing custom roms and kernels and undervolting, and running apps to help just to see what works and won't with keeping my Thunderbolt alive through a day. However, my best friend recently picked up a Revolution on the last day of unlimited data, and trying to get her to run juice defender or toggle 4g on and off when she won't need it is hell. It doesn't help that she's beholden to the iphone and maintains that because the Revolution sucks, Android in general sucks.

But, it's not like you can argue otherwise. The Revolution DOES suck. And for someone who can barely figure out how to change their wallpaper, asking them to tweak their usage settings or set up a tasker or run juice defender is like dragging a mule through the mud.

It's awful that Verizon thought that this generation of LTE phones would be acceptable to release with anything less than a 1700 mah battery and advanced 4g switching logic. I mean, seriously, the Incredible had battery issues with a 3.7 in screen and 3g; and they're trying to pawn off the SAME drat battery on a 4.3 in 4g phone running a bloated UI. And then think it's okay to put out an extended battery that makes the phone twice as thick and look like it's got a goiter.

The shittiest part of all of this was I switched from AT&T where I had unlimited data and a brand new Atrix because their 4g was never activated and their iphone centric upload speed capping made the phone unusable with streaming services. And now, the Atrix has been unlocked, and their 4g service is actually running. And my unlimited data for them is gone, so I'm stuck here with what basically amounts to a corded phone and my only chance to get better is once again with MOTOROLA!

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

I thought the original version shown at CES was 4.3, but when they overhauled it they made it 4.5?

This is correct.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/new-and-improved-droid-bionic-getting-a-4-5-inch-display-and-doc/

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Why is a phone supposedly due out within a month such a mystery? It's worrying that the development has been changed so much none of the leaks are agreeing.

Because otherwise Apple sues you before you can get it out into the market.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
http://twitter.com/!/MDB228

The Bionic's Twitter posted:

The future will cost you. Take precautions.

:stare:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I doubt it will have 4G and I bet it doesn't show up till around thanksgiving on Verizon where it will be nothing special by that point.

Really, aside from the screen, I can't think of a compelling reason to get a GSII over the Bionic anyways. The new blur is so much better than touchwiz and Moto actually seems to know what they are doing with CDMA devices (unlike Samsung.)

If it shows up around Thanksgiving, I would assume it'd been retooled to fit an LTE radio in it. If not, for shame.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

jfreder posted:

I'm starting to think I'd still be OK with an SGSII 3G or whatever the new iPhone is over waiting any longer for the Bionic. Motorola/Verizon really dropped the ball for early adopters of the OG Droid.

What the gently caress does that even mean? The phone you bought in 2009 is somehow less satisfactory due to when the Bionic is released? Go get a Droid 3.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

negativeneil posted:

so I guess the smart choice would be to buy a 4g phone and a wifi Tab and tether, then. I guess that saves a bunch of money in the long run.

is there even an app out there that can tether a phone and tablet together, or are we still limited to phone -> computer?

You can tether anything that has wifi

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I will get it if it has a 5" screen with which to enjoy that ridiculous resolution.

Edit: but if the screen is 5", and it's built anything like HTC's other 4g offering, it's going to weigh 10 pounds.

Edit2: and the battery will last 37 minutes on a full charge

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I just wish Samsung would make a rush and beat Moto to market with an LTE GS2, and really stick it to them.

then again, that battery :allears:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

dominator posted:

It'll last a full 24 hours with minimal usage

I'm talking about the Bionic's 1930mah fatbatt

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

dominator posted:

Yes I know.

Beats the hell out of my Thunderbolt's 5 hours of idling. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
If I could guess, I'd say that their new LTE implementation is pretty awesome and Google may want to snatch that up and hold it over Apple's head to stop all the lawsuits.

• Locked thread