Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So with Verizon again talking about going to tiered data pricing, have they announced the pricing? I only ask because when tiered data actually makes sense is on a family plan. As it stands right now I'm going to have to pay $90/month for data when I switch over to Verizon and I'm just curious if the tiered pricing is going to be cheaper. I'm the only "user" that would be on the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No.

And all the news articles I've seen about tiered data today all point to this one:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-summit-verizon-idUSTRE74I4NH20110520

That was what prompted me posting the question. I'm looking at switching to Verizon middle of next month when my Sprint contract is up. I honestly don't use a ton of mobile data. Right now with 2 Palm Pre's and a dumbphone we're using under 1GB of data each month. I work at a place that I'd rather just use wifi since it wouldn't cost me anything so any data at work and home can be done over wifi. I just don't see a point in paying close to $100 in data fees when I don't even use 1GB but then again I know Verizon is still going to want to take as much of my money as they can.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

We've known Verizon was going to do it for over a year now. Also, it's something they have to do. You can't build your way out of wireless capacity limits. In a given area, spectrum is finite.

Some folks have WiFi at home?

1. If you already have unlimited data, you're not being forced off it.

2. Unless your job applications require watching YouTube videos, I'd suggest you stop watching them. With conversation, you can browse quite a bit of non-multimedia content for under 100 MB/day.

It makes me laugh when people bitch about them discontinuing "unlimited" when we don't even know what the terms are going to be.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Does anyone know if Verizon allows you to turn on the mobile hotspot of a phone for a week/month and then shutting it off. Most of the time I have access to wifi but when traveling its something I would want for a couple days and then want to turn it off.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Xae posted:

I switched from AT&T to Verizon over a week ago and transfered my number, but some incoming calls still go to my AT&T phone, and some go to my Verizon phone.

Who do I call to get this fixed?

Verizon as they're the ones who are porting the number.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

While I agree it's lovely that Verizon is getting rid of unlimited data did anyone really think they weren't going to? They have shareholders that they have to make happy and giving away unlimited anything doesn't really benefit them. While it annoys me that they are doing this I am going to withhold judgement until the actual share plans come out. And anyone thinking that unlimited will stay around even if you don't use your subsidy is foolish. They are getting rid of unlimited and once you don't have a contract with them you have no recourse if they decide to get rid of it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

The Verizon Wireless Megathread: June 28, 2012 - Bend over, please.

BOHICAWOKY! I was hoping that they would be pretty decent but I'm not entirely sure what to think about it. I'm also curious as to what portions of the bill will be eligible for employee discounts.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is tethering included now as part of the Share Everything plan? I don't see it as an additional feature anymore when I go to buy an iPhone. I looked for something in the OP related to tethering but didn't see it.

Yes it is included in the Share Everything Plan. Go here and it says Mobile Hotspot included. I think their thinking was that if they throw in some features that used to cost money they might be able to con some people into thinking its a much better deal.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

kstatix posted:

Just here to confirm this works.

Can you do this online or do you have to call to do this?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

kstatix posted:

Unless something changed recently, no, you can't add new lines of service online with your own equipment.

Also, all you need us a clean idle esn. You don't ever have to have the phone on or anything. You can literally find a busted rear end phone with a clean esn and it'll work.

I have an old Motorola Razr, the original kind.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So if I buy the phone at full retail price do I still have to pay the "upgrade" fee?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

No, only on subsidized pricing.

Awesome, I only ask as when I looked on the Apple website at the iPhone 5 it shows a $30 upgrade fee.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone have issues porting their Verizon number to Google Voice? We've cancelled our Verizon contract and my wife ported her number to GV fine, but GV says my number isn't available to be ported even though I can select a number in that area code.
I could be wrong but the problem is you already cancelled your account so Verizon owns the numbers again. Your account gets cancelled when you port.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Are those plans only available when upgrading phones? I'll be upgrading to new iPhones and I'd rather have 6gb on the three phones separately than switching to share everything.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I can confirm this works. I just upgraded my 3 lines to 5s and unlimited data is listed on each line on my email confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I'm not sure what happened when Verizon upgraded my phone lines but when they did I went from 29.99 on each line for unlimited data to 3x 24.99 charges for the unlimited data.

• Locked thread