Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

bull3964 posted:

Verizon is inspecting traffic and redirecting what it can detect as tethering to a portal to purchase official tethering.

When did this start? My dad and I both use our phones via Wireless Tether when we're up north fishing on weekends, and I've never encountered anything like this. He's on a Vortex 2, and I'm on the Incredible. Both rooted, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
If it actually IS that low, how's the signal where you were? Having a very weak signal will drain a battery fast as well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I think the Incredible 4G might finally be the upgrade from my original Incredible. I like the smaller size, and hopefully it'll be rootable/flashable like the original. I've played with the Razr Maxx and Galaxy Nexus, and I just can't get comfortable with the larger size. Plus they're supposedly lighting up LTE in my area in July/August.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Ugh. They need to hurry up with the Incredible 4G release. I'm due for an upgrade, but the Razr Maxx is tempting too. I just want the better possibility of a rootable/flashable phone, so I'd rather not go Motorola.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
gently caress. Well, guess I'll be burning my upgrade before the 28th. Either Inc4g, or the Razr Maxx. And unless the girlfriend really wants to hop onto a family plan, I'll stick with my current plan until they kick me off, then hop to a more reasonable carrier.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'll be upgrading to a Maxx or Inc4G before the 28th, just in case. I'm in the same boat, still on a grandfathered unlimited 3G plan, and I want to make sure I lock in my unlimited 4G before Doomsday.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

joeshmoetogo posted:

Fuuuuck. Was really hoping to wake up today and see it on Verizon's website. Time to activate the contingency plan.

drat. Yea,looks like I'll be ordering a Maxx today. Much as I'd prefer the Nexus on principle, the radio issues are enough to scare me away. Maybe I'll just buy the Inc4g when it launches, and sell the Maxx.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Well, I ordered my GNex last night. I stopped by the local store, and played with the Rezound and the Nexus, and decided to gamble on the Nexus. I also verified with the Rep that warranty issues will not affect my plan, but exchanging for a different device will. Also, stock ICS on my Xoom has been a better experience than either Gingerbread on my Inc or Sense on the Rezound.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Loving my GNex so far. It does report very low signal strength, but haven't had any data or voice issue yet. Also no 4g in my area, but I'll get to try that next week when I go home for a couple days. Battery life is about on par with my OG Incredible so far. Might try the extended battery for it too.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Apparently the My Verizon app doesn't work on alternate ROMs, either. At least not on CM9 rc1. It wants something called the Verizon Login Client, whatever that is.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Best I've seen on my Gnex in the Minneapolis-St Paul area has been ~18/12. They've started to flicker on the LTE goodness in my current hometown about an hour and a half SW of the Twin Cities, so hopefully I'll see that in the next month or two.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

goku chewbacca posted:

If you already own a Verizon smartphone that you want to activate without paying for a data plan, you can do so on the no contract MNVO carrier Page-Plus.

Anybody done this? I have an Incredible that I don't use anymore, and a GVoice number that I use for a side business. I don't do a whole lot of phone calling, mostly texting via the Voice app and emailing, and the phone basically sits on my desk at home most of the time. Paying $10/100 minutes every 120 days or when I run out seems like a better deal than trying to sort out business calls from personal on my regular phone.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

goku chewbacca posted:

Keep in mind that texting via the GVoice app needs a data connection. Texts sent through the Android Messaging app will use your carrier phone number, unless your contact texts you. Then, you'll have a unique short code to respond to.

I understand that, don't worry. It'll be on my home wifi, or tethered to my personal phone. My Voice texts go to all my other devices as well, I'd just prefer a second device for voice calls.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Does anyone have any experience with a signal amplifier/antenna setup for VZW, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-801865-Adjustable-Wireless-Amplifier/dp/B005OD0FZ8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_cps_2

My family has a home where the cell reception is terrible indoors, and I'm pretty sure it's a combination of steel siding and being in a bowl down by a lake, as well as being a long way from a tower. We can normally get half-decent 3G indoors, but spotty 4G service outside, with good 4G service about 2-3 miles down the road. They use a 3G smartphone for internet service here on the weekends, unless I'm here as well, then we use my 4G smartphone hotspot. we're not sure if something like this would be worth it for the 1/3 of the year they spend weekends here, but I thought I'd research it a bit more. I know the one I linked is 4G only, but it seems like I can pick between 3G boosting and 4G boosting.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 26, 2013

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Mighty Horse posted:

I have never used this one in particular, but wilson stuff in general is very good. They actually build in protections to prevent causing problems with the local signal.

Keep in mind, that no voice goes over 4G, so if you are only boosting 4G thats not going to help with any voice calls.

I'm aware, and they do sell a combo 3G/4G unit as well, though that requires separate uplink antennas but uses a single downlink panel. I have to spend some time roaming around and checking signal strengths, plus decide if it's worth the money. Nearest tower seems to be about 2-3 miles down the road according to the map, but the house is down on a lakeshore, tower is about 50-100' higher in elevation, and there's no LoS to it due to hills. Plus the aforementioned steel siding isn't helping matters. Thanks for the info!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Is there a way to check and see if a phone is off-contract? I'm considering grabbing a RAZR Maxx used to replace my Gnex, but I don't want to lose unlimited with the new account audits.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Is an old Razr Maxx worth buying at this point? My GNex just met an unfortunate concrete floor, and I'm trying to decide between a Droid Maxx and a Razr Maxx for half the price. I honestly don't do much on the phone, except wifi tether with my laptop/tablet on occasion. Battery life and signal quality are probably my two biggest complaints with the GNex. I'll probably replace it again when VoLTE finally rolls out, I just don't want to spend a lot right this moment :(

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
$73 for a Razr Maxx, $110 for a Razr HD, and $165 for a Maxx HD. I'm really needing to replace it ASAP, as I have no backup phone at the moment. I'd splurge on the Maxx HD, since it seems to be a step up from my GNex from a hardware standpoint, and giving me a larger (non-replaceable) battery. Was the LTE reception on the HD/HD Maxx better than the original Razr Maxx? That's really my biggest complaint with the Gnex, as well as the crappy battery life. I don't mind the speed of it, I just hate carrying a charger/battery pack everywhere.

Edit: What's the current hot Verizon phone, anyway? I honestly haven't been following phone releases, since I haven't had a reason to. Grandfathered unlimited means no more subsidized upgrades.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 18, 2014

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

GWBBQ posted:

The MAXX HD will give you better signal and battery life, and the screen is much better.

Just to not abandon the topic, but this is what I ended up doing. Zero regrets. So far the signal holding and acquisition on the Maxx HD is a million times better than the Gnex. I've only swapped SIMs and let my Google account do its magic on the phone so far, still need to restore some app data. But tomorrow we'll see how the battery life compares.

Also, the VZW image on this phone drives me nuts. Luckily it looks like I can root/unlock and flash it to something better, but that's for a different thread.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'm just happy they aren't billing VoLTE calling itself as minutes AND data. That would be the underhanded move to end all.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
$45/month x 24 months is almost $1100. He could afford to buy a brand new phone every 2 years, and replace it once with a used one after a year with those savings.

Edit: FWIW, I've been with Verizon for 14 years, never had device insurance, and only broken one phone that was still in contract (Galaxy Nexus, and good riddance to that POS). I feel like device insurance is overrated, since I replaced the phone for around $175 for a used Razr Maxx HD. Fair point on the Verizon warranty, though.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 20, 2014

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I thought about it, and just said screw it. My 6-month average has only been around 2GB, and the 6GB/single phone combo works out to be less than I've currently been paying already. I'll just hop on the 3GB/single phone plan now, and bump to 6GB if I start running into issues using too much data.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'm pretty thrilled with my Turbo 2, coming off an older Maxx HD. Battery life is basically not a concern, I can get easily 4-5 hours of screen on time, or 8-10 hours of streaming music over wifi/Bluetooth with a couple hours of screen time.

I considered the Moto X Pure, but decided to do device payment on my plan rather than pay up front. I'm not planning to leave VZW anytime in the near future, and will probably add my wife on a newer iPhone when she decides to upgrade her current (Sprint) iPhone 5c.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Being on vacation with my family of eight, and being the only one with data service at our lodging, has definitely made me miss my unlimited plan. Even with just basic web use in the evenings, we blew through 17GB of data since last Saturday. I upped my normal 3GB plan to 20GB for the month, and I'm wishing the jump from 20 -> 25GB wasn't so steep. At least they're all chipping in for my extra plan cost this month!

My folks are also Verizon, but in a More Everything plan on contract, so their charges are already a little ridiculous for two smartphones on a 2GB share pool. My data ended up being cheaper, so I bit the bullet. Plus my phone seems to handle having 7 other devices tethered better than their Droid Minis

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'm sticking with M, unless my 20% discount will apply to the S plan now. I average about a gig a month if I'm not traveling, since I'm usually on wifi at home or work. I don't recall what the cutoff is. On the plus side, 4GB would probably be fine for both my wife and I when we move her to my plan in Aug/Sept.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Just switched from the old 3GB plan to the new 2GB, and my employer discount did apply to the $35 plan. Knocked around $10 off my monthly bill, and that'll probably be good enough until my wife's Sprint contract is done and we get her a new phone on my plan. Rollover data might be handy, I skipped the $5 data overage add-on. I always just bump my plan on the fly if I'm going over, so I'm not worried about it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

Example: everyone pays in advance. So if you plan is $100, you already paid $100 last month for this current cycle. If you decide you want more data for this cycle you backdate it. So if you go to the $110 plan, next month you will see the normal $110 plan that you switched to for the month in advance, plus the difference of the plan for the month you paid for, in this case $110 charged, $100 credited, so it's $10 higher. If you went to a $90 plan, it would be $10 lower.

If you do this because of a one-month overage, you can backdate the higher plan, then go back a day or two later and future date a change back to your normal plan. You'll only get billed for the actual single-month "upgrade" this way. That's how I handled my switch in May for a weeklong trip.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
$20 upgrade fee was waived for online orders (at least it was on Tues) and our salesperson in the store took it off after checking. I think the promo was still showing up in my Verizon app this morning when I looked.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Verizon does annual upgrades on the iPhone, so my understanding would be that you trade in the iPhone 5 towards the 7, and when the 8 comes out, you give them your 7 in exchange for the 8, and basically swap the device payment from the 7 to the 8. I don't see why the trade-in credit from the 5 would go away, but you should probably call CS and ask if that's your plan.

My wife just upgraded to a 6s a few days ago, and our sales guy said if she wanted to upgrade to an 8 when they launch next year, they would take her current phone, give her the 8, and she'd continue from then paying the monthly payment of an 8 instead of the 6s.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Carryover carries over into your next billing cycle, then expires. You'll also use your primary allotment first, then your carryover. So if you have 8GB, and use 7GB in Oct, you'd end up with 9GB available for November. If you only use 7GB in November, the October carryover expires, and you carry over the unused primary allotment to December, so you'd have 9GB available for use in December.

Haven't hit Safety Mode since it became available, but I'm sticking with our 4GB plan this month, so we may hit it by the end. Normally I flip between 4/8/12GB, depending how much we end up using during a given month. Safety Mode means no more hawk-like watching, since they won't murder me with a $15 charge for going slightly over. I can't see Pop Data being THAT much of a draw, unless I had to download something huge faster than I could over available wifi.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I guess that depends what you're currently paying. With my 20% employer discount, it looks like 24GB is $88 plus $20 line access per device and any applicable device payment plans. So assuming paid off devices, you'd be at around $130ish for two lines sharing 24GB. Isn't Unlimited around $50/line, plus your voice plan? It's been a year or so since I dropped it, it just wasn't worth hanging onto with my normal usage.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, with no discount applied this plan doesn't really make sense for me to switch to. I wonder why they're not applying corp discounts to this plan other than "We're Verizon, gently caress you give us money"?

Edit: So wait. When I look at plan charges in the app, my L plan is $70, or $56 after discount. The Unlimited shows $110, but is that including my two line access charges? It also says $10 off with autopay, which we're already on. This feels like they rushed it out without much in the way of details in the marketing materials.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Did anybody else get an updated corporate discount notice from VZW about a week ago? As far as I could tell, it didn't change anything important relating to my discount terms (still applies to base plan and not access charges, minimum $35 to apply to a plan, 20% plan discount, etc) but it added a 3% discount for My Verizon registration and paperless billing. Doesn't kick in until 6/6/17, so I guess I'll find out then if it actually affects my current plan beyond that or not.

• Locked thread