Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Verno5x posted:

This may not be the right thread for this, but I have a Thunderbolt and I love the Scenes that HTC included with it. Is there anywhere I can go to download more? There's only 6 on my phone but I would think that people must have made more.

I dunno about official scenes, but I'm running the BAMF Remix which still uses Sense and it has a couple more Scenes, plus you can add more. Need to root your phone to get them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So how lovely are the new data plans, anyway?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Thunderbolt is still an awesome phone, guys. :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

I broke down and bought the extended Thunderbolt battery today, my phone now looks like a camel with the giant hump on the back :cry:

I still have the basic battery and it easily lasts the entire day with regular use. Did you set yours up to turn off its radios when it's soft-offed or sleeping? When my screen is off, so are my radios... battery lasts 18 hours, easy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

To me, that's not a valid solution. What the hell good is a smartphone that can't receive push notifications?

It updates and synchs every 15 minutes so while I may not get then the exact second they occur, I get them pretty quickly?

I'm a doctor. Seriously, unless you're like... a day trader or something you really don't need continual instant updates.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wonder how they fare on the Thunderbolt.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My post in the rooting thread posted:

Okay, so I have an issue:

I'm on a Thunderbolt and I have it rooted using BAMF 1.6 and my G-sensor just broke. Thankfully, still have access so it'll be (hopefully) easy to unroot so I can warranty it, but I'm sort of unsure as to how to do it... Is there a stock ROM for it out there that I can flash to? And what's my best option in terms of backing poo poo up? I have Titanium backup but am unsure as to how I'm supposed to use it to save and then restore to a new phone...

Anyone experienced with the HTC warranty process? It's for one year, right? I actually didn't go for insurance, I think, and got the thing in May... hoping it's still covered and once I restore it it will qualify, anyone had to do this?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Er... anyone having this problem where you have full bars but then when you try to make a call, they immediately disappear, it immediately says call failed, and then kicks you back to the home screen and the bars suddenly reappear? I'm on a Thunderbolt and it was working fine last night, but I just woke up today and this is happening every time I try to make a call. What the gently caress.

EDIT: NEVERmind... I'm an idiot and last night in my groggy overnight call state I mistoggled the LTE On/Off and it was on EvDo Only. That explains that!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 11, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone having 3G service issues? I'm in NYC/Northern Jersey and my Tbolt is only getting 4G for the last 2 days.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This network outage is killing me... Literally no 3G and spotty 4G for almost 5 days now. Ugh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I get a new upgrade at the end of April and am still on my Unlimited Data plan, which I plan to transfer over to a new Android phone (currently on an HTC Thunderbolt). Sadly, the Sony Xperia S, U, and the upcoming Z are all GSM phones and therefore not an option, which makes me very sad... The PLAY is a non-option for me, mainly because I don't game on my phone much at all... no time. I'm totally behind the times on what Verizon is offering now outside of the new Samsung Nexus S, are there any other 4G phones on the horizon in the next few months that I should be on the lookout for?

Mainly I'm looking for something with solid battery life, a nice screen, and a nice camera. Ideally of comparable size to the Thunderbolt and not super loving huge like that one Samsung phone I've seen a few people with. Those are the main priorities. I'm in residency at the moment and Verizon is the only service with reliable reception in my hospital, so I'm definitely sticking with them... just need a solid and reliable phone, and I unfortunately don't know much about the current generation and I'm not a medical student anymore like when I got the Thunderbolt, so I don't have hours of downtime every week to research all the options and go to stores and play with them and whatnot... probably will just grab whatever is most highly recommended by you guys off of Amazon and call it a day.

I realize it's probably a bit early to be asking since there's still another 4 months until my upgrade, but if there's some new killer phone with 48 hour battery life and a 12 MP camera on it coming out in like June, it'd be good to know so I don't rush into a new phone. I'm on a 2 year contract, so how would it work with an upgrade? Do I have to use it straight away, or can I renew my existing contract and then activate the new phone on it (and probably reset the contract's start date, but whatever) once I get it in the next 6 months or so? I know getting VZW to agree to carrying over my Unlimited Data will be a tricky task, but I've been a customer for over a decade now, and both myself, my sister, and my parents are all on their service, so if they try to welch on me I'll start threatening cancellation without hesitation... hell, the fact that I can't get an Xperia already has me a little sore, it's a beautiful phone. No idea how well it performs long term, but my coworker that has one loves it, though he just uses it to surf the internet, make phone calls, and text.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 30, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JP Money posted:

This isn't possible anymore unless you pay full (unsubsidized price) for a phone AFAIK. You'll have to go on a tiered or shared plan - both of which limit your data.

Hmm... so if I just bought a phone straight up and activated it on my own, I could keep the existing plan?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Yes. That is the only way to keep unlimited data. Any upgrades will force you to a tiered plan.

You have to weigh how much you use data vs the savings from a subsidized phone, which is usually about 4-500$ retail, and somewhere around $300 or less when bought on Ebay/CL et al.

If you want great battery life, get a Razr HD Maxx. Camera isn't as good as some, but its a modern phone and has ridiculous battery life.

The cost is less of an issue if it keeps the unlimited data, because I easily use over 4 gigs a month, sometimes up to 7 or 8. How is the battery life on the Galaxy S3? I've been looking at reviews online, and they're pretty mixed... I'm probably a medium usage user... on 3G using LiquidSmooth ROM my Thunderbolt's charge lasts a solid 16 hours or so before it gets down into the 20s. That's on the default battery, not an extended, with the GPS off. The TBolt has notoriously lovely battery life, though, so I'd assume most of the newer generation are a lot better, particularly with 4G?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Hell has just frozen over: they're updating the Thunderbolt to 4.0.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt_instructions.pdf

Well gently caress me. I might have to revert to Stock and take the update.

... or I'll just wait for some smartguy to pull the Radios for 4.0 and make a non-poo poo ROM out of them. Maybe I will wait on upgrading.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My RAZR MAXX just came in the mail, it's basically in new condition, pretty psyched. Now I gotta figure out how to get it activated and decide if I want to root it or not...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I get my phones comped, was seriously looking at the Z3V because holy poo poo it looks amazing. Anyone having any issues with theirs?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

They jacked up the price again for those of us grandfathered in on unlimited data. It's almost to the point where I might start to consider switching plans. :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wait, from what to what?

Also, I hate it too, but $49.99 for 'unlimited' (or ~100GB before a nastygram) is still a good deal. I just wish they'd offer ULD customers a "100GB for $49.99 for Life" plan.

I live in NYC, so just to another carrier entirely since all of them have decent coverage now, or at least Sprint does.

Problem is every time I consider it I happen to travel, you know, literally anywhere else and then I remember, "oh yes, this is why I use Verizon," when I see people struggling on 3G because they have no better service or the reception on their GSM network is spotty or utter poo poo. :shepface:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

Can I keep my unlimited?

Looks like a no. It specifically says you need to sign a new 2 year contract, so it's the same as trading in on one of their "free upgrades" which voids your old plans. They never let you retain your old data plan since Verizon is actively trying to kill off all the old unlimited plans.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wonder how much a Sony Z3V trades in for now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey, Duckman - take your time in replying to this, seeing as I'm sure today's gonna suck for you, but how could I go about getting a "Long Time Customer"/"Loyalty" discount on my plan, and can/does that stack with a preexisting 15% Employee/Federal Gov't discount? I'm just looking for ways to slightly mitigate the fact that I can't really take advantage of the BF promo on my pending PXL 128GB order.

The 15% discount doesn't work on the payment plan, sadly. The Verizon rep I spoke to on Wednesday implied that my similar discount may even end up getting removed if I started the payment plan option. :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just wanted to confirm I didn't gently caress this up... it says I'm eligible for the discounted price, but then till cites the $31 monthly price as what I owe. I assume the little proviso about 2-3 billing cycles is why I'm seeing the full value instead of the discounted one? If so, do they reimburse you the extra you pay for 2-3 cycles or is that just extra cost I'm eating because Verizon is a bunch of dicks?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't an employer discount apply? The discount goes towards the data plan only, not the line access charge or device payment plan, so ...?

Also we have the same fed employee discount and one line on a payment plan (with a similar to the current promo cash-back deal) and that seems to work fine

Yeah, I meant that the discount doesn't apply to the payment plan itself, just your access. My discount is still the same with the new phone payment plan. Had to use the chat feature to have a rep not change my service plan on it, but it all worked out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Standard Pixel came today. Narrower than expected but I like it!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Got my regular Pixel, and it is a good phone. Size is good, though XL isn't that much bigger so I dunno, probably worth it for most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone with a Pixel suddenly having issues with the caller/Mic not working and having it randomly reset?

Mine has turned into unworkable garbage in the last week. :smithicide:

• Locked thread