Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Anyone get the new firmware for the Thunderbolt?

I swear my battery is even worse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Has anyone been getting the random reboots after the OTA update on the Thunderbolt? And if so any fixes? Or do I chuck this phone out the window...I'm so sick of it :(

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

Verizon is reportedly replacing Thunderbolts with this problem. Call them.

If I bought the phone at Best Buy should I go to them or straight to Verizon? Also I got that stupid Best Buy "black tie" protection, but I doubt they can do anything.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I don't get this fascination with hardware keyboards. Sure they are a convenient option but right now LTE phones are already so big a keyboard would just add too much bulk anyway. Plus you have to change the screen orientation anytime you have to type something? I don't get it. Soft keyboards are extremely simple to use and with swipe and other word recognition you can type much faster in my opinion.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

I was having some weird issues tonight with my Revolution, phone said it was on 4G, three bars, but nothing was downloading. I could see the arrow for upload trying, but I had no network. After about 15 minutes it finally kicked down to 3G and I had a great signal and speed.

Is there an easy (Read, widget toggle type easy) way yet to turn 4G off or force it to use 3G if this type of thing happens?

Edit: On a side note, I've used 7GB of data this cycle. Ye gads.

My thunderbolt does the same thing. It's extremely annoying. It seems like it's only in certain areas but lately it's been doing it more and more. I have barely used 4G for a while now though. Makes me ashamed that that's why I bought the drat phone.

There's an app that turns 4g on/off for Tbolt, but not sure if it works for the other 4G phones. Its called LTE on/off I believe. There's other ones out there too.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

Don't know if anyone else has flashed the new leaked MR2 radio for the Thunderbolt, but the battery life is much better, and the thing doesn't overheat either. Still doing real testing on battery life, will report more in depth later.

Sweet please report back! and any info on instructions and whatnot would be awesome.

I need to do something about my TB. Right now it's so bad with battery and random reboots and freezing I have to try and get a replacement, but I don't want to go deal with store reps at all.

Also the drat coat on the kickstand is peeling for no apparent reason. It looks hideous.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Uh, is there going to be any decent carriers/plans left 2 years from now? :(

We are all going to be anally raped by Verizon/ATT from now on. Sprint will be the only option, and gently caress Sprint.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

The biggest issue I have with recommending any of the 4g phones is the battery life. I've been doing all kinds of tweaking, flashing custom roms and kernels and undervolting, and running apps to help just to see what works and won't with keeping my Thunderbolt alive through a day. However, my best friend recently picked up a Revolution on the last day of unlimited data, and trying to get her to run juice defender or toggle 4g on and off when she won't need it is hell. It doesn't help that she's beholden to the iphone and maintains that because the Revolution sucks, Android in general sucks.

But, it's not like you can argue otherwise. The Revolution DOES suck. And for someone who can barely figure out how to change their wallpaper, asking them to tweak their usage settings or set up a tasker or run juice defender is like dragging a mule through the mud.

It's awful that Verizon thought that this generation of LTE phones would be acceptable to release with anything less than a 1700 mah battery and advanced 4g switching logic. I mean, seriously, the Incredible had battery issues with a 3.7 in screen and 3g; and they're trying to pawn off the SAME drat battery on a 4.3 in 4g phone running a bloated UI. And then think it's okay to put out an extended battery that makes the phone twice as thick and look like it's got a goiter.

The shittiest part of all of this was I switched from AT&T where I had unlimited data and a brand new Atrix because their 4g was never activated and their iphone centric upload speed capping made the phone unusable with streaming services. And now, the Atrix has been unlocked, and their 4g service is actually running. And my unlimited data for them is gone, so I'm stuck here with what basically amounts to a corded phone and my only chance to get better is once again with MOTOROLA!

That sucks man. And, I completely agree, in that I think Verizon is making GBS threads on their own face. I completely bought into the hype of 4G at first, and got myself a thunderbolt. I'll be honest, I love android, and I love the 4G speeds (they are excellent) but neither of those was worth keeping that brick of a phone. I am now on an iphone, and couldn't be happier. Until they release a phone that can last a full day with normal usage on 4G, or even 3G for that matter, I'm sticking with the iphone. With the Thunderbolt there were a few times in the month I owned it where I would forget to make sure it was 100% before I went and did some half-day outdoor activity, and the phone would loving die if I didn't put it in airplane mode. Even 3G only I was getting about a half day on it. If I had gotten into an emergency situation, guess what, I wouldn't have a working phone. Not cool.

I'm quite pissed off, because now it's nearly August and they still don't have a phone worth a second look. Not only are they skimping on batteries, they are skimping on screens as well. Bionic is going to be 4.5 loving inches. They keep increasing the screen size, while the screen quality is staying the same or worse. I don't give a poo poo how big the screen is if I can see the pixels plain as day.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
gently caress Verizon so much since the last year or so. gently caress. Verizon. Leaving as soon as I can.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
So, Verizon texted me yesterday with a message saying that my number is no longer registered with Verizon. And, now I can't log in with my phone number or account name on the Verizon site. I will be calling their CS when I get a chance, but just wonder if this has ever happened to anyone?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Number gets changed, or ported out, or account cancelled. YOu should call CS.

Well gently caress me. Thanks.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

I was swamped at work yesterday but I did a bunch of testing in eROES and Iconic and I couldn't get the 6GB plan in any way that didn't involve doing an upgrade at the same time. Sorry 2GB folks.

I bought my new HTC One a little over a week ago and I've somehow used 18GB. Full retail price: Worth it.

Thats a lot of goddamn data. Do you tether and torrent or something

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
For this iphone 6 trade-in program they're doing...has anyone checked if you can pay the extra $$ to get a 64gb or 128gb phone or are they only offering it for 16gb iphone 6?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

hoobajoo posted:

Any iPhone 6 or 6+ is fine.

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Can anyone tell me the best/easiest way to use an upgrade from a different line on a verizon family plan and activating it on a line that doesnt have an upgrade (in-person, not online). It allows you to transfer upgrades online, but I want to do it at a local store like a Target. Do I just give the mobile # of the line with the upgrade to them and then take it to a verizon store? Or will they do it remotely if I call them or something?

• Locked thread