Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Anyone get the new firmware for the Thunderbolt?

I swear my battery is even worse now.

Ever since eHRPD was turned back on in my area, my battery has been pretty bad. I might switch it back to Rev A 3G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Marketing Shill posted:

Just a heads up I, if you just bought a X2 or have a Droid X this is a great deal
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/24/droidx-and-droidx2-essentials-bundle-only-19-97-at-verizon-steal-of-the-century/

I just bought one so the deal still works

coming up as $72 here

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Marketing Shill posted:

Make sure you aren't logged into your account. I just did it again and it worked.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessories

From the Shop by device box to the right of 25% off banner choose the DroidX2.
Save up to 50% on Bundles Only Available Online shows up on the next page and it should list at $19.97, just add it to your cart from there

That did it, thanks.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Oh man the Bionic looks ridiculous. If it's any good I'd definitely consider dumping my Thunderbolt for it.

Is it wrong to believe that it's going to be in the $600 price range without renewal?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

dominator posted:

A locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for anyone but huge phone nerds, if it is a good phone it will sell boatloads.

While a locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for me, being unrootable would be a huge deal breaker here.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

If you can wait, it looks like the Droid Bionic is the new Jesus phone and coming out in late summer.

I went from an OG Droid to a DX and now a Thunderbolt. Despite its poor battery life which I rectify by switching to 3G when not in use, I'm happy with my phone. It can be rooted, get its bootloader unlocked and has a large 3rd party following if that's your thing.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm 25 days in and I'm at 7GB of data on my Thunderbolt. I dont do much tethering and the majority of my use is streaming Phillies games on MLB at Bat. Most of my use is surfing.

Edit: Compared to my wife who uses her DX mostly for business emails, words with friends, and facebook, she only has used 700 MB

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Bob A Feet posted:

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

I've used it to connect my PS3 and/or Steam when downloading games as 4G beats the crap out of my cable internet here. But that's probably only make up 2 GB of the 7GB.

Average use for me is really around 5GB/month.

Edit: I really do a lot of streaming, Youtube and other "Adult tube" services :mmmhmm:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 21, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Sounds too good to be true, but I really hope it's legit.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

HTC Thunderbolt

That is all from streaming (MLB at Bat, Amazon MP3, YouTube and other tube sites)

Edit: My wife for comparison, Droid X

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 8, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

My problem with the pricing tiers is that a normal user is going to be easily clearing 2GB if they do any streaming. I'd have less qualms about it if it was $30/5GB instead.

My wife who does no streaming will easily end up in the 1GB-2GB range and all she does is business email, calendar, light surfing, and Facebook.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

According to Twitter, the next ota update for the Thunderbolt will patch out the exploits that are used for rooting. So basically if you're thinking about rooting, do it now before the update gets pushed.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

4G and good battery life do not go together. With 3G only on my Thunderbolt, I can get around 24 hours. With 4G on I'm lucky to get a third of that.

And I'm in a 4G saturated area.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I think there would have definitely been much less backlash if the plan was $30 for 5GB.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Flyboy925 posted:

Any good recommendations for a case for the thunderbolt. Nothing bulky. I dropped it yesterday on concrete stairs when I tripped, and winged the corner. Now I'm looking for a case.

I've used Seidio cases on my past 3 phones and I'll swear by them.

This is what I'm using now, except it's blue.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I don't think I can bring myself to buy the Bionic with the Vigor coming out so soon after it (unless it doesn't live up to the rumors.) Hopefully more info about the Vigor will surface before the Bionic goes on sale.

Yeah this seriously puts a wrench in my plans. While I do like my Thunderbolt, I'm most likely going to replace it with the Bionic or Vigor.

All I want is a phone that can do LTE, last 24 hours idling with the 4g radio on, and has a bootloader that is unlocked or easily unlocked.

Edit: Holy crap I can't Swype well

JayKay fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 5, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

ejstheman posted:

My friend just randomly found a new-looking iPhone, marked Verizon, on the ground. Normally, when I find a phone, I call random people from the address book, until I get a hold of someone who has an alternate way to get in touch with the owner of the phone. Then, I contact the owner and say "hey, come get your phone." Unfortunately, this particular phone has a password on it, so I can't do that. I tried to call Verizon, but you have to enter your Verizon Wireless number or they won't even talk to you. If you had an iPhone and someone found it, what would you want them to do to help you get it back? I really don't know how to proceed, here. It's seriously in mint condition and the battery's even charged, so I'm assuming the owner really really wants it back right about now.

Take it to a Verizon Corporate store and give it to them. They should be able to locate/track down/contact the owner.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Peglegington posted:

I always time my cell phone purchases wrong (like right before a better revolutionary phone comes out, or buying a phone right before 3G is released), I figure I'll run this by you.

My droid finally broke for good (the keyboard was falling apart for a while, which was fine, but recently the "return" or "back" button is broken and so is the search button, which is killing me).

Do I...

a) Get a ThunderBolt or Droid Charge or something like that now?
b) wait for the Bionic?
c) Other

It comes down to: how soon is the Bionic coming out (probably), and how much better is it than what's out now, and is Bionic even the right thing to be holding out for?

Thanks so much, guys.

I'd cruise craigslist and just find a cheap android phone to hold you over for another month until Bionic/Vigor comes out. You can get a cheap OG Droid or DX locally here for $100-$150.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Droid Bionic 2 will be the new Nexus, calling it now

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

While I wish the merger is the reason behind the bionic delays (google making the Jesus phone even more Jesusy), I seriously doubt that's the reason why.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I have my fingers crossed that whatever Motorola has up their sleeve for 4G and battery life will make me drop my Thunderbolt and pick up the Bionic at full price.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Any idea what the full price will be? I'm guessing in the 500-600 range.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Quick question concerning activation:

I just ordered a cheap VZW Palm Pre 2 to play around with. Due to the fact I have a Thunderbolt at the moment, will I be able to swap ESN's online and then just *228 the Pre?

Also, if I decide to switch back to my TB down the road (which will not be used/airplane mode/etc while the Pre 2 is active) again will I be able to just swap out ESN's on VZW.com or will I need to take it into the store? I'm assuming since the SIM card is tied to my line, I shouldn't have to get it replaced if I want to reactivate the phone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm going a completely backwards route. Picked up a Pre 2* off ebay to toy around with and satiate my urge to buy a cell phone and I'm going to try to hold off till after the Bionic, Vigor, and whatever Droid/Nexus Prime might come out in the fall and then pick up one of the three after some long term reviews are out.

Adopting the Thunderbolt at release has been a lesson learned. It just really drives me insane that I can only get 8 hours off of 4G but with 3G only, I'm easily pushing 24+ hours. For instance, my phone in 3G only mode has been off charger for 16 hours and is only at 56%. (Edit: Rooted, CM7 RC 1.7, stock kernel and speeds)

*I've fallen in love with WebOS from playing with my Touchpad, figured I'd give it a try on the cheap.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 2, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome, apparently if I want to reactivate my Thunderbolt, I need another new sim card even though it said mine was still good for 90 days.

So either I need to go into my local VZW corporate store or have them mail it to me.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm trying my hardest to wait till long term reviews come out on the Bionic or until the Vigor comes out but man oh man is it so tempting to just get the Bionic tomorrow.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Just got back from my local VZW Corporate store. Supervisor was saying that while they expect high demand for the bionic, he doubts they'll have supply issues there.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Just called someone out on XDA for trying to pull a "total FatWallet dick move".

It's really sad how fast XDA has fallen. I used to browse that site constantly when I was using Windows Mobile back in the day.

Now I've pretty much completely abandoned it in favor of Rootzwiki.

Pron on VHS posted:

There's so much of this useless software on the Bionic, holy hell.

This can be said every VZW Android phone since the original Droid X.

I also caution about uninstalling/freezing stuff. When I had my Droid X, unless you had the bloatware installed, it wouldn't OTA update properly.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 8, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah seems fine to me. Maybe if i wasn't coming from an ancient OG Droid I would notice something, but all I am noticing is awesome.

Costco wouldn't sell me one full retail, they can only do contract upgrades which is lame, had to go to the verizon store.

Did the store cut you any deals? I know when I purchased my Thunderbolt DX from them still in contract, they gave me the 1 year pricing as long as I purchased 3 accessories.

Edit: Since they got rid of 1 year pricing, I highly doubt it :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 8, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Dumb, at both retail stores here they want $689.99 for the Bionic off contract. It's $589.99 online. Neither could explain why they jacked the price up $100.

Costco or VZW Corporate Store?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm still trying to resist temptation with the Bionic. I really want to wait till the Vigor comes out but my willpower is slowing eroding away :(

bull3964 posted:

Because some of us were already waiting 8 weeks or more on top of that.

At some point you can't keep waiting for "the next big thing."

Nevermind the fact that it's still looking like a Nexus on Verizon will be a pipe dream. Knowing Samsung's track record they'll probably stuff a tegra 2 or some single core high clocked processor in the Verizon Droid Prime variant just because.

They'll take a Palm Pre 2, remove the branding, and put Android on it. :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 13, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

There are four main points as I see it.

CPU
Screen
Battery Life
Software

Of those 4, the only 2 that are going to really improve a lot the remainder this year are screen (rumored) and software. Software doesn't bother me much as Motorola has been timely in their updates in the past and the Bionic is running OMAP4 which should make porting even easier.

So that leaves screen. If the Vigor and the mystery samsung device get true 1280x720 screens, it will tempt me to exchange. However, if getting that resolution comes at expense of a much larger device (Bionic is about as large as I want to go) or massive battery drains, then I may not bother.

I'm probably not the norm, but I'm very open to a phone that has a larger than 4.3" screen.

My biggest concern about the Vigor is that I'm not seeing anything that says it's going to have a larger than normal battery. Also it's supposedly going to be called the Thunderbolt 2, which is a stigma I'm not sure it really wants :v:

I'm just getting really frustrated with my Thunderbolt. Battery life isn't terrible as long as it's on 3G only, however for some reason my phone is having issues getting the 3G data connection when I switch between 4G and 3G only. In order to go from 4G to 3G only and get data, I have to reboot my phone.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 13, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

You have not experienced fat finger frustration till you've used a Palm Pre 2. Tiny hardware keyboard and no on screen alternative.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

ProjektorBoy posted:

If you can overcome your hatred of Radio Shack, they're flinging Bionics for $200 with a new contract or even renewals. They even offer accessory discounts. However, the extended battery does not seem to be available. The website configurator for renewals looks incredibly janky though, and may not be entirely trusted to keep your service plan in place the way you'd like it.

They want $799 if you buy it off contract :wtc:

Edit: For reference it's $589 off contract from VZW.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

wandler20 posted:

In both of my Verizon stores (not corporate) they were $679.

Yeah I'm lucky in the fact I have a "Verizon Experience" (read: corporate) store in my local mall. I haven't checked their in store price but I'm guessing it should be the same as the site.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Got to play with a Bionic today in store. To be quite honest, I wasn't overwhelmingly wowed by it. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice phone but it'd be too much of a sideways upgrade for me and my heavily modified Thunderbolt.

In order for me to see the Pentile screen I had to hold it up pretty close to my face which made me look awesome in store :v:

avan posted:

Question: Can we collectively keep an eye on roms for the droid and would we all agree to post it when one comes out? Thanks! I am super excited to wirelessly tether to my computer without having to pay stupid 30 extra dollars a month. Also with 35mbits downspeed thats about 1.5 times faster than my home connection which is unbelievable. I love 4g.

Check this thread Rooted Android- Team AlphaXPlusToyotaMarshmallow for all your rom needs.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

duffmensch posted:

Just realized that I forgot to enable LTE again after trying to force my Bionic over to 3G to keep a signal. Doh!

Is there an app or widget that someone can recommend that I can use to switch between 3G and 4G profiles without having to go into the system settings each time? Ideally, I would like something like the power control widget, but haven't found anything good yet.

On my thunderbolt I used a program called LTE On/Off that worked well for me. It basically was a shortcut to bring up a hidden diagnostic menu that will let you toggle the radios.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

tismondo posted:

How is it that, other than DC's spillover, LTE is nowhere in Virginia?

Somehow the twelfth most populous state has found itself in the No-LTE club along with population boomers Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Wyoming, and Montana. Baffling.

Eh, from what I've seen, there's good LTE coverage as far as Western Fairfax. Supposedly you should be able to get it as far as Ashburn/Leesburg in Loudon, however I seem to be in 3G when I'm out that way.

Of course, you might consider that spillover so :iiam:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

a Kevlar body.

Say what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I purchased the 3500 mah seidio extended battery for my thunderbolt. While it adds quite a bit of heft to the phone, its nice being able to run 4G and not be required to charge every 8 hours.

I'm currently at 9 hours off charger and at 65%. This is with 4G being active the entire time and moderate use (display has been on for over an hour). After calibrating, I should be easily pushing 24 + hours with constant 4g and heavy use according to what i've read.

• Locked thread