Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

JayKay posted:

Went to a Verizon corporate store tonight and got to play with a Droid RAZR. My only 2 thoughts were "holy crap this thing is tall" and "holy crap this screen is beautiful."

I did this too, and my only thoughts were "holy balls this poo poo is slow." I could barely switch pages on the home screen with out it lagging or stuttering or dropping touches. Verizon really need to take better care of their display units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Aatrek posted:

Let's see what happens if we get a 4G iPhone. I'll be interested in those battery stats.

Which is precisely the reason we don't have a 4G iPhone yet.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Do we have any clue how long the double data promotion will last? If it's likely to end soon, I should probably take advantage of their $35 holiday phone rental program to pick up a Rezound to tide me over until the Galaxy Nexus arrives.

Edit: Further question -- suppose I go onto the double data plan with 4GB/$30, and some time after the promotion ends I decide I want more data. Would I be able to switch up to 10GB/$50, or would I have to pay $20/month more for a measly 1 extra gigabyte?

Thoom fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 25, 2011

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Verizon's twitter posted:

Yesterday=history, tomorrow=mystery, today is a gift. That’s why it is called the present! You're the best present. See ya at 7:00 AM CST.

If this isn't a Galaxy Nexus release date announcement, Verizon are bigger dicks than I thought possible, even for such a relatively dickish company.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Cojawfee posted:

Why was that on the VZW support twitter and not the Verizon or Verizon Wireless twitter?

Presumably because they're the ones being flooded with people asking about the Nexus.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like they do some sort of doofy sign-off message every night. That took a fuckload of scrolling to find out, though. It's a very busy twitter account. So this is almost certainly nothing important.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 1, 2011

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

bull3964 posted:

Since Google is partnered with sprint for Google wallet in the US, I wonder if it's going to be officially supported on a Verizon Nexus.

What does Sprint even do in the partnership besides sell the specific phone model that GW supports?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Wasn't there a similar outage a few months ago?

I'm curious what it is in the design of their network that could cause the whole thing to fail at once, nationwide.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Number porting question. I think I'd like to try Google Voice, but I want to have the option of getting out of it if I don't like it. I'm currently on AT&T and planning to switch to Verizon when the Galaxy Nexus comes out. Is the following sequence of events possible?

• Port my AT&T number to GV (this ends my AT&T service)
  • Open a new line on Verizon with a new number, point GV at that number
  • Decide I don't like GV, port my GV number to Verizon and ditch the Verizon-provided number

Would Verizon give me poo poo about taking a new number and then changing my mind and porting? Would that trigger an ETF / potential loss of double data?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

you can port the number in *with* the new contract to verizon, even from google voice. But porting it in after the fact to replace your existing verizon number will almost guaranteed incur fees in some form or another.

If the fee is like $10-30, I'm willing to pay it. I'll ask a rep for more details when I buy my Nexus. Thanks!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Penguissimo posted:

The Verizon store where I got my Nexus had sold out their entire initial shipment by 1 PM launch day. A good sign? We'll have to wait for overall sales figures to find out how this thing is really doing, but I don't think the RAZR or Rezound sold out either in stores or online, even when Amazon had them for a penny.

We also don't know what the initial supply of Nexuses vs RAZRs was, so even data about selling out or not isn't necessarily meaningful.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

dominator posted:

Pfft they'll sell at least 10

I saw one of the guys on The Verge's podcast waving one around, but that was probably a review unit. On the other hand, if they use Samsung's reporting method, that counts as a unit shipped!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

tzirean posted:

There's a not-currently-used line on our family plan that has unlimited data. My mother asked Verizon about switching the phone numbers of her line and that line, and was told the best they could do would be to give both lines completely new numbers, and then have her start using the line with data.

This seems pretty stupid and incorrect to me. Does anyone here have any idea what the actual policy is?

Verizon policy seems to be quite malleable depending on who you talk to. I'd suggest calling them up a few more times and phrasing the request differently each time (e.g. ask to swap data plans instead of phone #s).

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

ghostinmyshell posted:

I ended up taking my GNex back to Best Buy this morning and was able to determine the one I got had a bad speaker. Now that I can hear my phone ring without having to pay attention, I will definitely give it a fair shake.

I'm just annoyed now that I forgot to buy a bunch of micro usb cables while there for charging.

Don't be. For the price of a single micro USB cable at Best Buy, you could get about 20 of them shipped to you overnight from monoprice.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Quidnose posted:

Speaking of Google Voice, I have a weird annoyance with it that i haven't been able to figure out. When someone calls me and it goes to voicemail, Google asks them to enter my phone number before they can leave a message. This has kept a lot of people from leaving me voicemails.

Anyone know how to turn that off?

That sounds like it could be some sort of CAPTCHA that's being used as part of GV's spam filter.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Aranan posted:

All this talk about GV is interesting. What's the major draw for using GV and what do I have to give up?

I'm strongly considering going to Verizon. I want to get a GNexus and my contract with AT&T is up, so I don't have anything holding me back. I'm just trying to figure out what the best setup will be for me.

Pros:
  • Free texting and visual voicemail
  • Access to your texts and voicemails from the web as well as your phone
  • One number (your GV number) can ring any or all of your phones (cell, office, home landline if you're a weirdo that still has one of those), with pretty fine configuration over which phones ring in which situations.
  • Call screening -- you can listen to your caller leave a voicemail message for a bit before deciding whether or not to pick up.

Cons:
  • Introduces a slight delay in voice calls, since everything has to be routed through Google.
  • You can't use GV texts without data coverage (though you can always fall back on carrier texts at ¢20/message in an emergency)
  • You're stuck with the Google Voice app for SMS. Third party apps won't work, and neither will ICS's neato "quick reply" feature. I've heard horror stories about the pre-ICS version of the GV app, but the ICS one has worked fine for me so far.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Dandy Cat posted:

I want to enable mobile hotspot on my phone. I have the grandfathered in unlimited data plan, would I just pay an extra 20 or 30 dollars a month for mobile hotpsot, or would it make me somehow completely switch data plans to one of the the tiered plans?

The $30/month mobile hotspot plan is definitely unlimited (I have it despite being a new customer as of 12/15/11, since there was an exploit back in Nov/Dec that let you get unlimited data using it). The $20/month one would probably put you on tiered data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Another thing to consider is if they're already invested in one ecosystem or another. If they're Mac users that use iCal and iTunes and Address Book and such, an iPhone is going to be drastically easier for them to set up and maintain.

If they're Gmail/Google Calendar/Google Music users, then Android would be the path of least resistance.

If neither of those apply, then ignore this.

• Locked thread