Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
My OG droid is on its very last of legs, I'll miss you phone!

Now comes the joy of picking up a new phone, not overly happy that the best choices are all phones I don't particularly want, nor are they available yet, Bionic (a bit too big and full of stuff I don't want or need) or "Function" (I know, Samsung, but I'd root it).

Argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The Bionic is SO 5 minutes ago.

Now it's time to start lusting after the Dinara.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/19/motorola-dinara-to-follow-the-droid-bionic-may-be-one-of-the-first-android-super-phones/

Time to wrap the droid in bubble wrap and find a religion that works well for keeping cell phones running.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

All this mystery around the Bionic is stupid and I hate it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

blargle posted:

What's the next upcoming Android super phone on Verizon? My brother asked me to recommend him a phone (I'm on Sprint) but it doesn't seem like there are phones that are both LTE and dual core yet.

Bionic is the supposed next superphone. It is either coming out next week or eventually. Either way, if he can wait, that would be the phone if he wants dual core and LTE.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Ha, and just like that...
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/verizon-support-claims-galaxy-s-ii-will-have-4g-lte/#more-41312

They were confused and talking about the Tab 10.1. So, nothing is confirmed about the GSII.

Everyone who works in the cellphone industry is a god damned moron.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

FTFY. There are some pretty smart people in the development and design areas, but marketing people will be marketing people.

Fair enough. I will continue my delusions and pretend that person just let something slip that they shouldn't have. But most likely they are just dumb and can't tell the difference between the Tab and a GS2.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Baram posted:

Wow that HTC Vigor seems amazing. Verizon pushed me an early update a month or two back I've been sitting on and my actual upgrade is around February. That's definitely a phone I'd be willing to take a slight hit on price to upgrade to, this Dinc is getting kinda beat up. Were those listed specs all that's known about it so far? No leaks on ram/storage/sense version/screen size? I somehow managed to miss all the previous rumors.

There isn't much known about it at this point.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Verizon needs to get a new Superphone out ASAP if they are going to snag any upgrading OG droid early adopters before their final NE2 kicks in (I think OG droid people should still have their final one coming at the beginning of September).

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's Bionic territory. Verizon's fine.

Assuming Bionic launches the first week of September that is somewhat true, but the NE2 will probably be kicking in when, Sept. 6th?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Actually, no, OG Droid users that got it near launch are already up for NE2. Don't forget, it's 20 months.

The OG Droid was launched November 6th which means those who got it on launch day were up for their final NE2 on July 6th. My upgrade date was a few days later at July 12th. So, I've been sitting on my final NE2.

That's one of the things that's so annoying about this. When I got the OG Droid in November of 2009, it was head and shoulders the best phone on the market. Right now, Verizon doesn't even carry a phone with those credentials.

I've actually been badgered by phone calls from Verizon asking me to use my upgrade, but I have to tell them that they don't have anything I want right now.

The final NE2 expires 6 months after you come due for it. So, a launch day OG Droid user would be safe until Jan 6th 2012 before it expires. So, I should hope something will be out by then.

However, this is where Moto really hosed up. They NEEDED to have a flagship phone on the market for July to catch all those OG Droids coming due. When faced with a 2 month wait, many are going to either buy what's on the market now or wait just a little while longer to see what the competition cooks up. Moto managed to lose a lot of sales just by not executing a timeline properly.

My confusion was Verizon said my NE2 wasn't active yet, turns out they think it isn't active until August next year, great, that will be a fun phone call to find out how they managed to gently caress that one up.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I don't think I can bring myself to buy the Bionic with the Vigor coming out so soon after it (unless it doesn't live up to the rumors.) Hopefully more info about the Vigor will surface before the Bionic goes on sale.

Same boat, I'll probably be holding off to find out what the Vigor's story is and then either wait it out or snag a phone then.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

NewcastleBrown posted:

I know they try and keep a tight lid on upcoming phones so the majority of people going into the stores won't know that something better is coming out in two weeks, but for people trying to make informed phone purchasing decisions it sure is a pain in the rear end.

My final NE2 is up next week, and coming from OG Droid I'm sure anything out there will blow my phone out of the water, but I'd like to be able to evaluate my options and determine how long I want to wait with a little more information.

I'm at least waiting the extra two weeks for the Bionic, but drat would it be nice to have something solid on the phones coming out in the next two months.

Are they calling the Vigor the HD now?

Vigor is HTC and HD is Motorola, combine them with the Nexus Prime and I think it's probably worth it to wait until October and see how everything shakes out.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I really don't care if it takes that long to come out, just hopefully by October we'll have some sense on which carriers it'll be on and some actual specs.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

So the prime might be headed to AT&T?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0JXH0i4gRcYF33A

This guy doesnt quote a source.

He has a source at the bottom, and the source doesn't say any of the stuff he is saying.

It is a common belief that the prime will make it to the other carriers, just that Verizon is going to get an exclusive window and slightly different branding.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I doubt it will be a problem, when I had to turn it my lemon of an OG droid they gave me no hassle at all (except it was still out of stock so I had to wait a bit for the replacement).

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Isn't that rumor from 4chan on top of all the other too good to be true claims?

It is the 4chan rumor, but at least they decided to make it sound like the perfect phone.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

My OG droid seems to be attempting to push me into getting the Bionic. Power button no longer recoils after being pressed, making it hard to tell when it is being pushed. Symptomatic of other button problems as well I think (keyboard is becoming nigh unusable due to keys not registering properly). I was really hoping it would last until the Prime is revealed/released, but who knows. At least from the way you guys describe it the Bionic is pretty good.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

And as I feared my OG Droid is on its last legs, looks like I'll be on the Bionic train come this weekend. We had a good run mister Droid, I will miss you.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I agree, I got the Bionic after wanting to wait longer but having the Droid die on me. I don't love the screen, but I only notice the pentile display on minute text or when its really close to my face (20/10 vision). The rest of the phone, though, vastly out performs that problem. I really do like Motorola devices I guess.

It really is a well built phone and I don't see myself switching unless something game changing comes out.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

I was wondering why I was getting no service yesterday, and then I noticed somehow I had it on CDMA only. Once I put it back on CDMA/LTE the 4G popped right back on like nothing was wrong :downs:

I also had no service until I rebooted my phone. I was wondering why it wasn't bigger news...:downs:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Been without any connection all day in Chicago, but 3G just connected, so I guess they might have figured out at least a partial fix.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Anyone else in chicago experiencing a total outage of data and voice? Tried the usual tricks but the Bionic is just like... nope not gonna connect to anything but Wifi.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

The Verge really didn't like the new Droid Ultra/Maxx

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/27/4659876/motorola-droid-ultra-and-droid-maxx-review

seems like they are bashing it a bit much here, or is it just me?

I think taking pictures of the phones after rolling them in dirt made it a bit obvious that this wasn't going to be a fair review.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

The Maxx is awesome, feels really well made, lasts forever, and the gimmicks that Moto put it in are actually useful. Active notifications has totally changed how I use my phone, and touchless controls are pretty cool, although I'm not sure how much I'll use them.

I'd definitely go in and check everything out at a store, you can't really go wrong with an S4, One or Maxx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

My maxx makes it 30+ hours without any worries about usage and when I usually have a terrible cellular connection. Highly recommended.

• Locked thread