Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just in my Verizon store and they had the X2 on display and for sale already. I was mighty tempted, but I live in a heavily-saturated LTE area, so it just wouldn't make sense. It sure is a zippy little machine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today is so strange. 4 new smartphones launched - what should be a huge deal for Verizon - and yet every single one of them is completely underwhelming.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

From what's been talked about on Howardforums, the D3 is running CIRCLES around the Droid X2.

God damnit, as if I wasn't pissed enough that it's not LTE-capable.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rock2much posted:

I have a friend jumping ship from Sprint to join a Verizon family plan. I was pushing him towards a Thunderbolt but is there anything coming out before August worth the wait?

Supposedly the Droid 3 (3G) is June and the Bionic (LTE) is July, though nothing close to official has come down the wire on either phone yet. I'd caution against the Thunderbolt though, it has a plethora of problems.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does it make any difference on battery life whether I'm auto-syncing one account or multiples?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

More bionic info.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06/more-droid-bionic-pictures-surface-4-5-qhd-screen-new-3d-blur-and-android-2-3-4/#more-35622

And now I'm unsure. 4.5" is just a tad too large for me. If that's the Atrix that it's next to, this phone is going to be massive.

Is it August yet :ohdear:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A few videos of the Droid 3 in action. Doesn't really tell you anything new about the phone, but you get a much more detailed look of the form factor.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Played with my friend's D3 today and it's far and away the best smartphone on Big Red right now. Zippier than any of the LTE phones and the new Blur is actually pretty decent. I might even forgo the Bionic in the hopes that they'll release a 4G version of the D3 a few months down the line.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, but I love the keyboard.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

"You'll never use then keyboard after a month with the phone heh heh"
:goonsay:

Serious time: how is the keyboard on the D3? How would it compare to the keyboards you've used on other phones? Two of my friends are about to make the jump to smartphones and they both have an Env Touch. They told me they absolutely had to have keyboards, and since their not powerusers (I doubt they'll even be close to the new 2GB cap) I told them the Droid 3 was currently the best phone on verizon for what they want.

I think most people who say things like that about the physical keyboard aren't heavy texters. I burn through 5k texts a month on average and there's just no substitute for the convenience of a tactile experience (especially because I can text by feel, which you can't do with a touch screen). I'm also pretty proficient with Swype, and I'm still significantly faster with the physical keyboard. I understand that plenty of people can get along just fine without them - as it happens, I can too. But it still makes things a whole lot easier. My last several years on Verizon have consister of a Voyager, an OG Droid and a Droid 2, and the D3 feels like it has the best keyboard of them all. I didn't even remember how great it is to have dedicated numbers until they were at my fingertips again today. If you're absolutely dead-set on a slider, I can't think of any better phone available.

Though granted I only got to use the thing for about 20 minutes so I can't speak to long-term performance or battery usage, but I guess some reviews should be popping up any day now.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 10, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think there's anything wrong with the build of the D3. I thought it felt pretty solid and most of the reviews I've seen have said the same. I'm not crazy about the Pentile screen but that wouldn't deter me from buying a phone that was otherwise pretty good, which the D3 is. That said, I'm still hanging onto my D2 until either the Bionic gets rave reviews or Verizon announces a 4G phone with a physical keyboard.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jhonas posted:

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks.

Yes, if you make harmless exaggerations, you are an idiot who should be killed. What the hell is wrong with you?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What kind of impact do the Pentile displays have on battery efficiency? Can we reasonably expect the Bionic to be more power-efficient than the other LTE phones based on the screen alone?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cozmosis posted:

And the Bionic is not a 4.5" phone, it is 4.3".

I thought the original version shown at CES was 4.3, but when they overhauled it they made it 4.5?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kyrosiris posted:

No keyboard? Non-removable battery? gently caress that noise.

Is there any chance that the Samsung QWERTY device mentioned earlier will wind up being Verizon's SGSII, or is that just wishful thinking?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is one slick-looking device. As long as it's not $300, I think I know where my money's going next week (assuming there's a week-early direct fill).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Way to crap on my parade :smith:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No Bionic until September?

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/07/26/motorola-droid-bionic-september-launch-gathers-more-steam/

:sigh:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone been using a Verizon inductive charging kit? How are those things working out?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

Return was the wrong word to use, sorry, it would be exchange.

Contract terms are the same as they are with Verizon. You have 14 days to return and undo a contract/subsidized upgrade. However, Costco allows you to do exchanges up to 90 days from purchase date. The only caveat there, obviously, is it has to be a phone that's carried in Costco.

So, buy a bionic on the 8th at $299 and the mythical Droid Prime comes out any day up till December 8th for the same price and costco carries it? You can walk into the store and do a straight up trade. If it's more, you only have to pay the difference.

But 14 days is still the get out of contract point.

Is this 100% guaranteed? It seems questionable that they'd let you exchange for another phone at a subsidized price after 14 days. But if so, will they charge a restocking fee?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, that's really awesome, and kind of unreal. Couldn't someone conceivably take advantage of that and just get a new phone every three months?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FWIW I just spoke to an employee at Costco's Verizon kiosk and was told you can't buy a phone there without a membership.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ModestMuse posted:

I'm hearing a rumor that the Bionic might retail for $179 at Costco WITH the accessory bundle.

Just a rumor at this point. I haven't seen a Costco ad that includes a price, so it's possible...

You're off by $100 - it's $279.99

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ModestMuse posted:

You're probably right, but have you seen that in print from Costco yet?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Costco-plans-to-introduce-the-Motorola-DROID-BIONIC-with-a-280-price-and-free-accessory-kit_id21925

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also bear in mind that Costco memberships are fully refundable. So even if you're not a member, you can sign up, buy the phone there at the discounted rate with the bundle, and then get your $50 back if you decide you don't want to keep your membership (though I'd recommend hanging onto it, since Costco is awesome).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One more benefit of buying at Costco...30 day price guarantee. So for instance, if it drops to $200 in three weeks, you can get an $80 refund. I'm surprised I'm the only one waiting in line here so far, considering how widely this promo has been making the rounds on various tech/deal sites.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, Costco really dropped the ball on this one. When I talked to the guy in the store yesterday, he assured me they had 5 in stock, and as long as I got there early this morning, I'd get my hands on a device. So of course I'm the first person in line today, first person to the kiosk, got my purchase set up with ease...and by this time there were at least a dozen other people there for the phone, meaning most of them had to be turned away. So I got my slip, took it to the register, paid for the phone.....and then was told they didn't have them in stock yet, and wouldn't until the 13th :v:

Mind you, all 5 of us had paid for the phone before the store realized they didn't have them. We all had to be refunded, and were told we were poo poo out of luck, and that they wouldn't hold the phones for us when they received them, and we'd just have to try again on the 13th.

Fortunately, one of the other 5 guys raised such a huge stink about it that the store manager ultimately agreed to reserve the phones for us. So when they get their entire stock of Bionics in on the 13th, they'll already be spoken for.

The guy at the Verizon kiosk was pissed, and looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown when a Costco employee came and wheeled away his big pallet display for the phone.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's pretty hosed up. I saw the bit about not being in until the 13th in a PCMag article that was linked on Google News, but didn't know what to make of it as it was the first time I've seen such a reference.

Plus, wouldn't it have been mentioned to the folks who called stores about it yesterday?

Literally as I was reading this post, I got a call from someone at Costco saying their boss "pulled some strings" and they just got the phones. Heh :cool:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To me, the difference is glaringly obvious between the display on the Bionic and the display on my Droid 2 Global or OG Droid. The pentile matrix is very clearly visible to me (20/20 vision) unless I hold the phone with my arm completely outstretched - and the closer I hold it to my face, the more profound and intrusive the matrix appears. It's definitely the biggest drawback after no physical keyboard, and will take some getting used to, but I don't see it as a deal-breaker. Otherwise, loving the device so far.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 8, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slackerbitch posted:

I've been sitting on my upgrade waiting for Verizon to give me a decent alternative. Which ... hasn't happened yet, and based on the year-end road map, I'm not sure it's going to happen at all.

You don't think the HTC Vigor or Droid Prime might be decent alternatives? You must have some pretty lofty standards.

Funnily enough, after I got my phone activated today, the guy at the Costco kiosk said something along the lines of "You seem like a cool guy, so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret - if something better comes out in the next 3 months, just exchange it, hassle-free."

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know. I just thought it was funny because earlier in the thread some people were intimating that doing such a thing would be scamming Costco, and here the employee was outright encouraging me to do it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rscott posted:

Those of you with Bionics who think the Pentile screen is particularly egregious are you guys using screen protectors? I put one of the verizon anti glare protectors on my phone and it looked like poo poo afterwards.

Nope, still problematic for me without anything on the screen.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tismondo posted:

The only time I notice mine is on certain pictures... there's sometimes a lack of color depth you'd otherwise expect. But truthfully it's a nonissue that nerds have blown up into one.

These kinds of dismissive remarks are pretty stupid/obnoxious when it's obviously a significant issue for a not-insignificant number of people. If it's not a problem for you, that's great, but that's a dumb reason to diminish it being a problem for others.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For me personally, a physical keyboard beats out a touch screen ten times out of ten. I am very adept at using both, and still find the physical keyboard to be infinitely more advantageous than, for example, Swype. No matter how good you are at Swype, it's still going to misinterpret a notable percentage of your input, meaning lots of error correction. You can't text by feel with a touch screen, which means you're forced to focus your eyes on the virtual keyboard while you type - so it's not until you're finished with your message that you actually look up and see how many errors you've made. With the physical keyboard, you can proofread while you type. Can you imagine having to stare at your computer's keyboard while you typed out anything on your computer? It would be terrible, and it's definitely a drawback to a touchscreen phone.

As a matter of pure efficiency, I can't see how someone who inputs a lot of text into their phone (key point) prefers a touchscreen over a hardware keyboard. I can't think of a single pragmatic advantage that the former has over the latter for mass-texters.

vvvv The Incredible 2 is the same.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 14, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm content with my phone, but if something with identical specs and a better screen comes out within the 3 month exchange window, I'll return it without a moment's hesitation.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sell the Thunderbolt for a few hundred bucks to help subsidize the cost of an iPhone at retail...?

edit: oh wow, they sure aren't selling for too much, are they? So glad I returned that pos phone before it was too late.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 5, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrannix posted:

Groovy.

So, Verizon's next Droid WILL BE the Droid RAZR. Expect it out in early November. I have a source from a third party vendor of Verizons.

So it's essentially just a Bionic with a modestly-better display and more resilient body (possibly running ICS)?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the hell, seriously? Nevermind, dealbreaker :(

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dominator posted:

Well he's led me wrong before but thats what my buddy at Moto said. Its going to be so thin they couldn't put a removable battery in there or something like that.

That's nuts. I've never owned a cellphone that I didn't have to hard reboot with a battery pull at some point - not to mention potentially wanting to put in a larger battery, or that any potential battery problems would mean getting your entire phone replaced(?).

I mean the iPhone gets away with it, but Moto aint Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aatrek posted:

I'm up for a contract renewal in January, but really want to hop on board the upcoming Galaxy Nexus, rumored to release in early November.

What kind of penalty would I face for trying to upgrade early?

Alternatively, is there even a remote chance that VZW would let me move my upgrade date back two months? My line's been in place since 2001.

From what I've read from people in this thread, they've been bumping up quite a number of upgrades to encourage people to buy Bionics and 4S's, so it certainly couldn't hurt to call customer service and ask if they can work anything out for you.

• Locked thread