Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

Droid 4 should be everything anyone wants for a keyboard phone coming up.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/27/exclusive-first-pictures-of-the-droid4-by-motorola/

Think 4" screen Razr with a keyboard. That's pretty much the device.

God damnit. There's no way this will come out within the Costco 3 month window :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what are the rest of you Costco buyers doing? Keeping the Bionic, trading for the RAZR, or waiting for the Nexus?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I for one eagerly await page after page of people asking how to game Costco's exchange policy :allears:

Except their exchange policy is completely legitimate...?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I was actively encouraged by the Costco sales rep to trade in my Bionic if something better came out within 3 months.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

Confirmed, official dates:

Razr 11/11/11
Rezound 11/14/11

Speculated with some evidence to back:

Galaxy Nexus 11/21/11 Web Only. Some indications of more of a marketing push after black Friday (in store launch then?)

Speculated with only rumors to back:

Droid 4 December - Jan timeframe

I guess I'll just exchange my Bionic for a Prime, and then sell that when the Droid 4 comes out. Can't see a better way to hop and skip my way to a D4 for the minimal amount of money.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AppleCobbler posted:

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/18/hard-proof-that-the-samsung-galaxy-nexus-will-launch-december-8th-at-verizon/

Looks like its December 8th. Gives me time to sell the bionic.

3 months to the day after the Bionic release. Hopefully Costco doesn't give anyone a hard time.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: nevermind, I'm bad at math

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 19, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha, that's exactly what I was doing. But even if you don't count Sept. 8, Dec. 8 is still 91 days after the Bionic release, which means we're screwed regardless.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And so the Costco drama begins.

I was doing some shopping there today, so I stopped at the kiosk just to mention that I was unhappy with my Bionic and ask how their exchange policy worked. The rep told me that between the 14-90 day window, they would only accept a phone that was broken or defective, and only exchange it for the same model. I explained to him that the store's exchange policy said otherwise, but he disagreed, even after I pulled up the language of their guarantee on my phone. He then produced a paper with Costco's phone exchange policy on it, as if to prove himself right....until I actually read it out loud to him and affirmed that it allowed me to return my phone.

Eventually he called over a manager, who told me the same thing - their policy is to only accept defective phones, and only exchange them for the same model....even though these stipulations aren't mentioned anywhere in any of their policies. She said that if I wanted to try to do something about it, I'd have to call Verizon, which I'm pretty sure is also wrong.

So I called Costco's member services, but they don't have anyone in on Sunday, so I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow and see what happens :ohdear:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the Bionic with the intention of keeping it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand - you think that finding the screen problematic is an illegitimate reason to be dissatisfied with one's phone?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went to a different Costco today and was told they'd have no problem exchanging my Bionic for a different phone within the 90 day window, so ymmv on that I guess.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeaahh, isn't the X2 pretty much the worst top-brand smartphone Verizon sells?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

I went through with the exchange of my Bionic for a Razr and couldn't be happier.

The hardware is just SO much more polished as is the software. The screen is flat out gorgeous.

Did the same thing today as well, and yeah the screen is definitely a notable improvement over the Bionic. The rep who handled the exchange for me said that Costco might be doing some kind of deal on the RAZR for black friday. Don't know whether he was implying that I should try to get a price adjustment on friday, but it's worth keeping an eye on anyway.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Droid 4 is (edit: supposedly) launching December 8.

God damnit :(

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 24, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

The Razr seems to be shaping up pretty good so far. After charging it to full after I got it on Weds, I left it off charge just to see how long it will last.

I rounded out about 23 hours before it finally shut down. This is basically the first full charge to shutdown so more might be eeked out as the battery calibrates. I haven't really done anything with the smart actions yet to try to get the battery to last longer (the stuff you can do with the movement sensor seems pretty neat.)

This was a mixture of wifi, 3G, and 4G. There was about 2 ish hours of screen on time, some game playing, a few minutes of videos from both youtube and Netflix, and some recording of 1080p video.

So, I would say a little bit better than my bionic on standard battery. The radio seems much improved from the newer firmware. It spends far less time hunting for 4G and will fall back on 3G in borderline areas rather than trying to hang on to the 4G and have spotty network connectivity.

I don't think I'll have any trouble living with not being able to swap batteries.

Just a heads up that the Razr is showing up as $199.99 on Costco's website now. Not sure whether it's a Black Friday-only thing, or whether the price even applies in-store, but it's definitely worth stopping by to see whether you can get $90 back.'

edit: It's $249.99 in-store, but they gave me $40 back no questions asked.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 25, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

That's interesting. It's $199 in store here, but they won't do price matching to sales price so they won't refund me any.

They said they would if the price actually dropped, but not for a sale.

That's really strange, considering you could have just returned it and re-bought it for the sale price, which is effectively the same thing. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't allow a simple price match.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/25/official-droid-4-specs-its-definitely-a-big-razr-with-a-keyboard-and-4g-lte/

Really enjoying the Razr, but looks like I'm about to put it on Craigslist :sweatdrop:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got hit with the outage literally as I was about to post that it hasn't affected me yet. Awesome.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone been having issues with the Razr's radio similar to the problems with the Bionic? My area has spotty 4G but really strong 3G - however, my phone keeps losing data altogether, even when I'm stationary. It will regain 3G service after a few minutes (sometimes 4G), only to cut out again and then repeat the cycle. It's wreaking havoc on my battery life - I went to bed last night with roughly 75% battery, and woke up with 5% remaining. Has this been an issue with the device in general, or did I get a defective unit, or is it possibly just my location (Henderson NV)?

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 18, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know why installing ICS on my Razr might have disabled my home button, and what I can do to fix it? The device has never been rooted.
edit: nvm, restoring it fixed the problem.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 28, 2012

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

My Razr has an uptime of over 5 1/2 days right now and the only reason why it's that short is because I was swapping the SIM between my Galaxy Nexus and it.

ICS seems to have had the opposite effect on my Razr, where I'm seeing substantially worse battery life now (and I performed a factory reset right after installing). Can't even go a full day of moderate usage without having to charge. I haven't really cared enough yet to investigate what's causing the problem but I guess I should get on that.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I do better than $849 for a 64gb iPhone through Verizon (so I can keep my unlimited data) or is that simply the only price they sell for anywhere?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Craigslist for stolen phones, but otherwise no that's the price.

JayKay posted:

I've found vzw website/corporate store is pretty much your cheapest option since all others charge a $30 activation fee.

Figured as much, thanks for the confirmation.

Another idea just occurred to me...I'm on a family plan with like 5 other people and have been for several years. A few years ago someone on our plan wasn't eligible for an upgrade, but got a subsidized phone anyway by using the upgrade from someone else on our plan. First of all, will Verizon still let me do that? Second of all, if they will, and if someone on our plan would allow me to use their upgrade, would I still be able to keep my unlimited data since the upgrade is technically for their line?

edit: I googled for answers to this but found about a dozen different conflicting responses. I see that upgrade transfers are still a thing, but I can't get a straight answer on keeping unlimited data. I guess the best thing to do is just go into a corporate store and ask.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 6, 2012

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When are we getting a worthwhile upgrade over the HD Maxx? My screen's been severely cracked, but I'm wondering whether I should get it replaced or wait out a better phone.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is anyone picking up a Droid Ultra later this month? I either need to be talked into it or talked out of it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there seriously no notification light on the Maxx? Ughhhh

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So....does anyone have any recommendations for a shattered screen on an uninsured Droid Ultra? :sigh:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cozmosis posted:

Is Verizon still doing open enrollment with Asurion? Check into that.

Ooh, good call. Just signed up, but they say it takes about a week to process. $99 deductible sounds a lot better than $180 though.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard lots of horror stories about Asurion but my first experience with them has been nothing short of ideal. $99 to replace a shattered screen on a Maxx with a phone that's probably refurbished but seems to be in like-new condition, and which I had in my hands 24 hours after filing a claim. Thanks again to whoever recommended the open enrollment. You're a life-saver.

• Locked thread