Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Silly question I have been wondering for years:

Cell phone companies always advertise "Caller ID". However this always seems to translate into, if you have a contact with the same phone number, it will show that contact's name. Otherwise it only shows the phone number. This is still true on my OG Droid. How can they get away with calling that "Caller ID"? I haven't had a land line for over a decade but I remember what real Caller ID was like, it sure didn't involve any contact lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Re: Caller ID

bull3964 posted:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

With cellphones the biggest issue appears to be in the passing of calling line ID information through the network. Cell phone companies must support interconnecting trunks to a significant number of Wireline and PSTN access carriers. In order to save money it appears that many cell phone carriers do not purchase the North American feature Group D or PRI trunks required to pass calling line ID information across the network.

I just find it odd they continue to advertise it as a feature of their plans though when they can't actually provide that feature. I wonder if this lack of an advertised feature would be cause to let people out of their contracts, like when they change the terms and people have a chance to cancel.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

SpacedOut posted:

Why does Android insist on autocorrecting "guy" to "Guy"?

I guess Google is a fan? :tinfoil:

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I'm switching carriers even if I do get grandfathered into unlimited data, that could be taken away at any point and regardless it would be like condoning rape to stick around and support such a sleazy company. Reminds me of when my home town got its first draconian cable modem provider and you could go over your monthly quota in just a few hours.

If all the other carriers follow suit I can only hope Google turns into a non-rapey cell phone provider in addition to rolling out their Gigabit internet access, or some other rich-but-not-greedy company steps up to the plate to provide a fairly priced service.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Surely Verizon will continue to adjust how much data you get with the $30 data plan based on average usage info, as speeds keep increasing. But what's to stop everyone with grandfathered unlimited plans download useless crap 24/7 to raise the averages? Someone should make an app that downloads and discards useless data nonstop at full speed. Sooner or later they will inevitably kill the old unlimited plans, so people with unlimited plans would be helping out their future tiered selves too. :twisted:

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

The latest CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1 for my OG Droid has made a world of difference, its back to feeling like a very quick and responsive phone, after 7.0 had seemed to slow it down quite a bit.

I still can't get over the 2GB for $30/month insanity. That would be a more appropriate (but still fairly conservative) daily limit. I'm going to make this OG Droid last me until I switch to Sprint when my contract is up, which would be pretty soon but unfortunately got extended out another year due to adding a second line/phone for my wife last year.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Why are you even worried about it? You obviously already have data with verizon so the tiers don't affect you.

Mainly just on principle, based on bad childhood memories of my small home town's single cable modem provider also abusing their near monopoly by having really lovely quotas. But even with no ethics in the equation, sooner or later they are bound to cancel the unlimited plan grandfathering, at which point everyone will be hosed. Even if that lets people get out of their contracts without ETFs I'm sure they will be wanting their hardware subsidy money back.

I don't know exactly how fast LTE/4G can go up to, but lets say 25 megabits/sec. Downloading at those speeds it would take 11 minutes to go over your *monthly* quota, that's just an absolute joke.

For hosting providers at least, raw bandwidth costs are about $1 per megabit per month. Used 24/7 that 1 megabit is ~300 GB give or take. At those rates the 2GB/month plan should be 20 cents. I'm sure Verizon has quite a bit more expenses managing all their cell towers and such, but still.

No one really downloads at full speed nonstop, but lets pretend someone did that by mistake somehow (unsecured wireless hotspot, retarded children torrenting the latest Shrek movie, or whatever). If we go with the 25 megabit/sec rate, that's ~7500 GB per month, which would be $80 for the first 10GB, and then an extra $74,900 to pay for the extra GB's at $10/gb. I think I've read LTE goes up to 40 or 50 mbits even so it could even be double that. I guess Verizon has invented diamond-studded platinum bits.

sadus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 7, 2011

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

The Blarghonauts posted:

This is the official thing VZW gives out to estimate data usage:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/datacalculator/

No voice chat calculator, and a maximum of 2 hours streaming music and 1 hour streaming video a day... Not very realistic at all.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Whoops, I meant to say no video chat slider in that calculator, not voice chat.

Anyway, if most people don't currently use more than 2GB currently, that's all the more reason not to be over-charging people who do use proper amounts of bandwidth, they have the capacity to handle it. They've had no trouble making more than a billion a month in profit with unmetered plans up until now, price gouging customers is attempting to fix a financial problem that doesn't exist.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Montco woman wins victory over Verizon

quote:

Bernice Keebler had a simple complaint: Verizon billed her $4.19 for six "local calls" but wouldn't tell her where she'd called - not unless she got a lawyer and a subpoena.

To Keebler, that stretched the bounds of fair dealing beyond the breaking point. "I think I have the right to know what I am paying for," she told me in a column about her case last month. Keebler likened the experience to getting a tab at a restaurant with a bottom line for "food," but no details to review or question.

A Public Utility Commission judge agreed. In a decision released today by the PUC's communications office, Administrative Law Judge Mary D. Long proposed fining Verizon Pennsylvania $1,000 for failing in its duty to provide "adequate customer service"

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Dracon Wolf posted:

My wife just knocked my iphone into a pot of water

Someone recently itt found an iPhone at the bottom of the fountain, carefully dried it out and found it to still functional. So you might wait until you're 100% sure your phone is dead before spending lots of cash.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

This is probably a dumb question, but why don't phones use standard rechargeable AA batteries? It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to fit one in, i.e. how the Droid X is thick just on one end. 2700 mah batteries AA's are cheap and it'd be even easier to have spares. I'm curious if its an electrical issue or if they just want to keep being able to charge exorbitant fees for chargers and batteries with half the power?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Maybe you drop your phone one day and instead of just slipping through your fingers, you can grab onto the lump and save it. Really though, the Droid X's lump really would not need to be much bigger at all to hold a single AA battery, but I guess that would displace whatever else is currently in there (like the top of the screen :doh:). Extended batteries aren't that pretty either though.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Bah, almost pulled the trigger on a Bionic, until I realized my city doesn't even have 4G yet. I just assumed it did but apparently in Verizon's infinite wisdom Kansas City isn't even on the list for 4G in 2011.

Oh well, this plus NE2 only being $50 now instead of $300 like it should be, makes waiting for the Droid Prime or better a much easier decision. Please hold out for a bit longer OG Droid!

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

rscott posted:

Wait Kansas City doesn't have 4G and Wichita does? :psyduck:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they wanted to leave the Sprint WHQ city alone, but since thousands of people here have been repeatedly laid off from Sprint its not like many people actually like them anyway.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

bull3964 posted:

There's also the Droid HD/Razr whatever which may come out in Dec. That's rumored to have a non-pentile QHD AMOLED display and a Kevlar body.

The articles I'm finding don't seem to mention pentile or not, where did you see that? I just figured maybe that's why they made it 960 x 540 so it can really be 720p in the end. Pentile is 4 pixels instead of 3 right? 720/3 = 240, 4x240 = 960, hrmm. I assumed there would be 720 of each red/green/blue before though so I'm probably just talking nonsense.

sadus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 28, 2011

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Don't feel bad, new RAZR owners will probably be saying the same thing about the Galaxy Nexus soon enough ;)

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Remember before too long Google and Motorola will be one and the same, assuming Google's bid to buy Motorola's mobile division hasn't been shot down yet.. It will definitely be interesting to see if they go back and release unlocked bootloaders etc or treat all old Motorola devices like Nexuses once that goes through.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Yep, Verizon has definitely confirmed switching to 4G shouldn't cause the loss of unlimited, but Verizon employees have said in on these forums that you only have 14 days to get them to correct it if someone drops it by mistake.

I would hope even that is not set in stone due to how ridiculous 2 GB/month is. Today of all days might be a good time to call too due to the network problems, maybe they'd be a little more willing to make people happy. "So you're telling me your improperly trained employees tricked me into losing my unlimited data plan, and I haven't even been given the opportunity to burn through my entire monthly quota in under 15 minutes today because the network has been down all day!"

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

If you go into a physical Verizon store to upgrade, do they just add it to your bill or can you pay on the spot?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Sure Razr or Rezound will get ICS eventually, but what about the next one, and the next one after that? I got lucky with the OG Droid and CM7 and assumed all phones would be that well supported, but my wife's Droid X has let me down. This is still all too depressing: http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Azrial posted:

Hopefully it is not a pain in the rear end to immediately change the number, the last thing i need is a Delaware area code when i am moving to Charleston, SC in 3 weeks.

If nothing else Google Voice lets you pick whatever area code you want.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Also rooting lets you take proper App backups (titanium).

Just think of it this way, would you buy an expensive computer and be satisfied not having full admin access to do whatever you wanted to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I won't be suprised if B&M stores start charging a fee for paying with a credit card soon, the CC companies are nickel and dimeing everyone to death.

It's actually not allowed for a merchant to charge an extra fee for paying by credit card, Visa/Mastercard/etc make merchants agree to this. I'm sure this change is all carefully worded to get around that though by Verizon's army of lawyers. Amazing what you can afford when you're making 10+ billion a year in profits and paying no taxes :tinfoil:

Maybe we should all report Verizon?
https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp
http://www.mastercard.us/support/merchant-violations.html

• Locked thread