Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Edit: Nevermind, thought the deal started on the 12th. Wow, good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

THF13 posted:

Will I be able to take advantage of Verizon extending the return policy through January 9th if I order from Amazon, or is that through the official stores only?

My original Droid just died and I'd prefer to order from amazon since the Razr is $40 cheaper there and I have some amazon credit, but I'd like to be able to switch to the Nexus if it ever actually is released.

I don't think so, that's Verizon's policy. It's like if the Sony Style store had an extended return policy, that doesn't mean if you buy a PS3 from Best Buy they'll let you return it late.

kitten smoothie posted:

I went to a place that I thought was a corporate Verizon store, but it turned out to be a third party that put the same 180 day requirement that Amazon and Wirefly use to protect their commission. The "Verizon Wireless" sign above the door was huge and "GoWireless Premium Retailer" part of the sign was absolutely tiny.

If I canceled service before 181 days they would charge me $200 or require me to give back the device in lieu of paying.

Are you sure you can give it back? Usually you have to pay the fee no matter what.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

JP Money posted:

Am I the only one to never be impressed by any of the galaxy phones? I really can't pinpoint what it is - they have great specs so it was never that.

I agree, I like the specs but the size is a negative. 4.6" may not be that much bigger than 4.3" but it sure sounds like a jump.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Alternate upgrade is how my cousin was able to get a new phone out of the system when he jumped into the pool with his droid pro.

He's the account holder and has his parents on a family plan with him. All he did was add an additional line and immediately do an alternate upgrade of that line on to his. So, he's stuck paying an extra $9.99 a month for a line no one uses, but he can now get an upgrade every year if he wants.

So he's paying an extra $120 for a phone. That's not always the best deal.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

PorkFat posted:

Previous phones I've had to manually add in Verizonwireless.com. This one I turned on, I went through the setup process and it bumped my other phone off. The only password I input was for my Apple ID. There was no indication it would do this and I have no idea at what step it did this.My thought was that Verizonwireless.com (who I purchased it from) put the ESN on some access list so that it connected to he network without any intervention. Nice feature unless you're selling the ohone or just want to mess with it, like me.

Do I have that wrong? Otherwise, how did it connect?

Was this for a new line when you bought it? Then it may have been pre-registered to the new line. Otherwise, I think you're forgetting the part where you called *228 to activate it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

The Entire Universe posted:

Maybe they want to eventually get a crucial piece in there that they control access to and then can ensure at least least the ability to get rid of Blur or Sense or whatever if a user so desires without.

It sounds like you're saying that maybe Google wants to force manufacturers to give manufacturers the option to turn off Blur/Sense. This isn't going to happen, it does nothing but piss off the people creating phones that use their software. Before the preemptive "well, consumers deserve a choice" response remember that they do have one, they can buy a different phone.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

kalibar posted:

That's fair, I guess I'm comparing it to CyanogenMod instead of "the reality of other Nexus devices." With CM, you have to get the Google Apps separately and if you don't care for Google's services you could use the device completely independently of them (including sideloading your apps or utilizing an alternate marketplace).

Google Apps being separate isn't a feature, I believe it's because CM doesn't meet the requirements in the license. Also, there's a huge difference between a few carrier branded apps and TouchWiz, way too big to claim it's a slippery slope.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Regarding the two Verizon apps (which can both be 'disabled' through ICS, so stop freaking out about it):

• My Verizon is pretty important for a lot of users, and I can see Verizon getting a lot of complaints from 'normal' people who might use the Galaxy Nexus, especially if they're switching over from another lower-grade phone. It tracks your data usage, texting usage, and your remaining plan minutes. You can also pay your VZW bill, etc., right from the device with it. Personally, I would have been surprised if it wasn't built-in to the device.

• Backup Assistant only has one purpose, to transfer your contacts between Verizon devices. Use it once, and you're done with it. If you're switching over from a feature phone or a Blackberry (it's not available on the VZW iPhone), this can save you a lot of trouble... but after that, it's not really too useful.

No matter what your thoughts on these two apps, telling Verizon to 'just put them in the Market' doesn't really work because if people are pickup up the Galaxy Nexus as their first smartphone, they won't know how to get them back.

Pretty accurate. My Verizon, and similar apps on other carriers, should be required so that users have the easiest time possible tracking their data use. That's even becoming more of an issue so telling users that go over that they should have downloaded an extra app would be a problem. It really isn't bloatware so much as it's an extension of Settings, just for dealing with your carrier. Would you call the Calender app bloatware?

Backup Assistant can be annoying but, again, it's a basic carrier feature. Verizon has advertised the fact that you can transfer contacts for years and it is a decent feature for anyone coming from a non-Android phone. Why isn't this on T-Mobile or AT&T? Because with GSM carriers you can save your address book to the SIM card, so when you pop it in your new phone to activate it your address book would have carried over too. Verizon (aside from 4G) can't do that.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Mark Larson posted:

How does warranty work on Verizon? I have a Thunderbolt that I think has something internally preventing it from connecting well to LTE and it seeks 3G even though the settings are in CDMA/LTE mode.

If I had TEC I know that I could go in there no matter what and get a refurb phone, but what about the fact that I bought the Thunderbolt used? It was only launched this year so its still within warranty but how does that work exactly? Do I have to mail it off to HTC? If that's the case I'd rather pay the $7 to TEC it.

You don't have a warranty. If you bought it from an authorized seller you would have a 1 year warranty from HTC. Verizon fulfills most of the warranty service because most people buy direct from them, but I think if you bought from Amazon there's a chance you may have to contact them. I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 6, 2011

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

My Omnia bit the dust last year and I'm stuck using my six-year-old VX-9900, so I want to buy a Galaxy Nexus later this month. With my Omnia, I had a $30 unlimited data plan, but I know those changed sometime in July. I also dropped my data plan when switching back to the 9900, so there isn't any chance of me being grandfathered in (that, and I'm pretty sure VZW makes you pick up the "unlimited" 4g plan when buying 4g phones anyway) either. I can't find info on data caps anywhere. Is Verizon's $30 4g plan really only 5 GB? I could go through that in a week without even trying.

You did the wrong thing and lost unlimited data. If it's been less than 14 days you may be able to pick up a smartphone and get unlimited data re-added, but that's applying the same logic they use for renewals. VZW doesn't make you get an unlimited 4G plan, the 4G data use counts towards any data cap you have. The data plants are at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/explore/?page=data And yes, the minimum plan is 5gb for $30 but if you renew through the holiday season they'll double your data and you'll get 10gb.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Yeah, minimum is 500mb. But that's more a smartphone tax, since if you actually want to use it as a smartphone it isn't enough.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

I know this is a couple pages behind, but whenever I activated my friend's RAZR for him, Verizon made him "upgrade" to the 4g plan. He lost unlimited data, too. I don't think my actual unlimited plan would've transferred over. :(

I don't see where you say 5gb is $30. The only thing I see is $30 for 2gb and it doesn't say anything about double data.

Yep, and 2g, I made a typo. In my own defense the guy is too lazy to look up plans on the website.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

lignicolos posted:

If I add a new line and put my old dumbphone on it, will that new line still be eligible for an upgrade? If so, can I transfer that upgrade to my current number and get a Nexus to replace my thunderbolt. It seems the 9.99 over the next two years plus the 299 is still cheaper than the cost of the nexus outright.

Yes, but that's awkward. Why not just get the new phone when you add the line?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

edit: Let me clarify.

I didn't know my unlimited data plan was dropped because the same month I switched to my enV, I added a data plan to my sister's line and the monthly bill stayed the same. I didn't think about it until a week or two ago when I spoke with a VZW rep online and she told me to just contact customer service to get the data plan added back, but everyone I've talked to on the phone says no.

It's unfortunate but you're asking for a change like six months after the plan was dropped. And it wasn't without your consent, you dropped your smartphone. Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

If you call Verizon after you get the phone they should change the number.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Krittick posted:

I'm thinking about moving from Sprint to Verizon within the next couple of months and had a couple of questions.

1. I use Google Voice and its integration with Sprint and never use my Sprint number as a result. I assume there's no equivalent for Verizon? If not, is it possible to port my Google Voice number? It's not feasible at all to use another number in my situation.

2. Last time I tried to sign up in a corporate store they wanted a $400 deposit. Is there any way around this? It's a show stopper if not.

I'd likely be getting a Galaxy Nexus on the 2/4GB plan based on my past usage habits, if this matters.

Wow, how bad is your credit if they want that large a deposit?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/29/leaked-memo-details-verizons-2-fee-for-paying-your-bill-autod/

According to this memo, Verizon will start charging a $2/month "convenience" fee for any bill payment that isn't ACH or auto-pay. I don't usually get fired up about this sort of thing but I'm kinda bothered that $112/mo isn't enough they have to nickel and dime me further.

Is this the sort of thing I could get out of a contract over?

It isn't any bill payment, stop that. I don't think your contract covers payment terms, either.

This doesn't seem so horrible to me, it's in line with what most of the utility/cable companies I've dealt with do. You pay extra to pay over the phone or use a credit card. An electronic check online (how many people pay bills), mailing a check (outrageous concept, I know), or using auto-pay (which lets you use a credit/debit card without extra charge) do not charge a fee.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

"A $2 convenience fee applies to all payments made by phone or online."

That's pretty much any relevant bill payment for anyone reading this thread - does anyone posting here actually go to a VZW store to pay their bill?

It's also unmitigated nickle-and-diming horseshit.

That isn't what it says and I'm not sure you understand how quotes work. I think people misread the first line because "RARGH FEES" and apparently it stops them from reading the second line.

"The fee is waived for bill payments made by electronic check (also referred to as "ACH") and for all bill payments made on accounts that are enrolled in AutoPay with any payment method (Credit/debit/ACH card or electronic check)."

If you pay by electronic check you aren't charged. That is when you enter your routing number and checking account number and it hits your account as if it were a paper check. That's a pretty common payment method for online bills. You can also write a check and mail it. Yes, with a stamp. People have done that forever.

As far as nickle-and-diming goes this is pretty much just following what any other utility company would do. My gas company charges me $2.00 to pay online, but waives it if I use an electronic check instead of credit/debit. Not that big a deal.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

gregday posted:

I just got off the phone with Verizon, discussing the $2 fee as a breach of contract.

Basically the rep agreed with me that this is in fact a breach of contract, and I could get out of my contract without paying the ETF. However, I don't want to cancel my service -- I want simply to kill the contract. This puzzled him a little as to why I would want this. I love my iPhone 4S. I've been satisfied with Verizon's service and want to remain a customer, but I dislike contracts and if I see an opportunity to cancel it without penalty I'll take it.

After much waiting he finally came back to me with the relevant section from the agreement:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/customer-agreement.shtml

The last line is key. From the POV of the agreement terms, "service" and "contract" are equivalent, although in reality they are not. So I cannot kill a contract without killing service, but I can kill the account, avoid the ETF, and then sign back up under a new contract-free account, keeping iPhone that I bought at the subsidized price.

The downsides are that I would still have to pay the $35 activation fee, and I slid in on the unlimited data plan at the last minute. If I start a new plan, I'd have to pick a metered data plan.

I always paid online by electronic check anyway, and I have no plans to leave as a customer, I just saw a loophole and wanted to try it.

The rep understood my intentions and seemed to agree they are totally reasonable, but said their "system just isn't setup" to allow canceling of contract without canceling service. And legally, according to the terms, I can't force it.

If anyone tries this and has better luck let's hear it.

What you want doesn't happen. They don't want people canceling their contract to stay and get a new phone early. If you did cancel you can't come back for at ls 30 days or your account and contract start back up.

You can't force them to keep you as an off contract customer when you cancel. You're choosing to leave and they're no longer required to provide service.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

If I wasn't on unlimited data, I'd be really pissed off right now as someone waiting on the Droid 4.

Kind of unrealistic, they have consistently said that they were only offering double data through the holidays. Also waiting for the blow up when all the people who used a bug to get unlimited data flip out when they lose it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Wouldn't a federal surcharge be outside their control and therefore not be a breach of contract? It seems absurd that one could break a contract because the government raised a tax or whatever. (Or, more accurately, it seems absurd that Verizon's lawyers wouldn't have accounted for this in the terms of the contract.)

It isn't a tax on consumers, it specifically is on carriers. They then put it on your bill as a surcharge rather than eat the cost or build it into the cost of your plan. It's functually the same as when a restaurant adds gratuity to your bill. That isn't a tax, it's the restaurant's charge whichvis why they explicitly stated it in a menu.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

My wife's Incredible 2 has recently stopped accepting incoming calls. She's current running CM7.1, but I don't think this is a ROM issue as it sounds more service related.

Pretty much what happens is when you dial her number, it rings (on the caller's end) twice and then goes to voicemail. She doesn't get anything saying she got a call. I wanted to try dialing *228 opt2 to see if I could update her roaming capabilities but when I did dial it, I wasn't able to even bring up a dial pad.

Any ideas? I'm gonna try to reflash CM if I can't figure anything out.

The fact that you couldn't even bring up a dial pad suggests that there's at least some software issue. Try reflashing or trying another ROM.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

It's to program your phone (opt1) and update roaming capabilities (opt2). I don't have an option to bring up the dialpad from the screen to hit 2.

You can try *22899 which forces the update. The fact that you don't have the option is, again, likely a software issue.\

Edit: VVVVV Welp, that means you absolutely should try *22899.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 9, 2012

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

Bleh. Supposedly the bootloader will be unlocked when it gets ICS, but I guess we'll see...

Source? This is the opposite of how Motorola has handled their Verizon devices.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

Moto's press release regarding unlocked bootloaders has always had the caveat that amounts to "If the carrier lets us."

And Verizon has never let them. Did I miss something and they had a press release that said Verizon devices that get ICS upgrades will be unlocked too?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Anyone had luck getting a warranty replacement for the Thunderbolt due to the kickstand flaking? I want to sell mine when I upgrade to a Galaxy Nexus but that seems like it'll hurt. Plus it's really annoying.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

In other news, the Thunderbolt seems to have recently taken the title of "the piece of poo poo device they give away free on a 2-year contract." Inexplicably, the Charge is still priced at $199.99.

The Charge, from what I hear, is a better phone or at least has better battery life. As a Thunderbolt owner I wouldn't encourage someone to buy it for free.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

It sounds like you scammed AMEX, maybe unintentionally, but they didn't really ask questions to see if you tried to resolve the issue yourself. All I know is I may need to get an AMEX card before I buy any new electronics.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Ernie Luckman posted:

Wow already backorderd on Amazon. I ordered mine straight from VZW around 1 am. Excited to finally move on past this 2009 Samsung Omnia. Windows Mobile 6.1, you were an rear end in a top hat and i hope no one else is still using you...

I don't know what confuses me more, that you were using an Omnia or that you never upgraded it to 6.5. That was my first smartphone and once betas of 6.5 started getting linked it became at least usable.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah but it is $100 and we were looking for a little cheaper smartphone.

Don't decide the next two years over $100.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

If the guy never responds to that then you get a refund and get to keep the product. Then you can atleast sell it to a cricket user.

No, you get a refund or keep the product, not both. When I had an issue with the memory card from my Droid I purchased on Ebay I was told I would only get a refund if I sent the entire thing back with a tracking number to prove it was shipped. That was Ebay's response, after the seller was a flake.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

EBay never had me return the item I was sent. Ordered a box wave stylus which wasn't a box wave at all when I got it. Seller never responded and I had my money refunded with no request to return the product.

In my situation the seller fought it. If they don't respond I think Ebay assumes you were correct. Also, you're comparing a stylus to a phone that cost over $100 at the time.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

more friedman units posted:

This is exactly what my Nexus is doing. Verizon tech support says it's a software issue that Samsung is working on, but they don't have an estimated date.

Considering that there seem to be complaints back through December reporting similar symptoms and the response was an update adjusting how signal strength is reported, I'm not too optimistic.

That response was a quick fix and has been done for other phones. It's not a huge indicator of them not fixing problems.

VerySolidSnake posted:

The phone is connected to Wifi almost the entire day, probably more than 90% of the day. Would disabling lte still have any effect in my case?

Yes. If you aren't using 4G data I can't really see the point in having it on. It's a battery drain.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

So is the general consensus to buy a Maxx at this point? I was interested in a Galaxy Nexus because I trust Google to support it for two years, but after the poor antenna and poo poo battery life of my Thunderbolt I'm afraid to get something that already has those issues. Although I'm planning to buy from Costco, so there's some buyer protection there. UI isn't a big issue to me, I'll probably use Go Launcher with an ICS theme anyway.

kalibar posted:

The real crime of all that poo poo is that it's designed to segment the platform. If Moto, HTC, and Samsung want to play UI designer, they should be selling their poo poo in Market. That's of course not their perogative, they just want their products to look different regardless of what implications it'll have on future Android software updates.

I'm a pretty firm believer that every phone should ship with vanilla Android and if users want to customize it they can do so by way of themes, apps, replacement launchers, etc. The problem with manufacturer UIs isn't a question of "hurp durp do you like HTC AIDSware better than MotoGonorrhea???", it's the negative implications of buying a device with proprietary modifications that only exist to differentiate the product. Your only source for updates is the hardware manufacturer that already has your money, and has little/no incentive to continue investing in your device.

So in essence "finding the stock ICS UI kinda meh" sounds like an affliction only a cellphone retail rep could attain. For the rest of the market, stock is objectively the right answer.

You're making a pretty big leap that by not having to code the UI that they would get updates out faster/at all. Just because they can doesn't mean they would. Guess what? Plenty of people like Sense UI, for example, because it looks cool to them. That doesn't make them cellphone reps, that makes them part of the market.

It's in the best influence of the hardware companies to differentiate their products. It's not about selling an awesome UI as a product, it's about branding the phone as that company's product. It builds their brand identity. That's the way it is.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

kalibar posted:

It's $100 on Amazon. Heck, you can get one for $310-350 straight up on craigslist in my area.

I've called you out on this before. Carrier store pricing != market value.

That price was only for new lines. Also, we get it. You hate anything that isn't stock or unlocked.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

kalibar posted:

And you don’t? Serious question.

I probably prefer stock, but it's not a priority. Ultimately, I understand and accept why custom UI's exist and I'm not willing to only ever have one phone to pick from. I drat sure don't have the blistering, off-putting hate that you have towards non-stock.

Unlocked bootloaders are nice. I loved my Droid, although I really only loaded ROMs to get updates faster even though I didn't need them. With my Thunderbolt I've had cool ROM choices but, ultimately, it's a poor phone that started off with problems and at this point I'd rather have something that doesn't need as much managing. The Nexus is not a stable phone based on many reports, and I would expect Google to fix many issues (although I thought the Nexus S still has many of the flaws the Galaxy S does).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Unless they make some hardware change to make them incompatible, I would think just obtaining the fastboot recovery zip image for the dev phone and flashing it on to a Razr with RSDLite would be enough.

It isn't. Someone found a RAZR with an unlocked bootloader and it was decided there was a hardware switch that it checked for to ensure it was meant to be unlocked. I forget the specifics, it just isn't as easy as "flash the other bootloader" like it was with the Thunderbolt.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

JayKay posted:

Is the LTE network on the Fritz again in the DC area? I'm getting no data on 4G but 3G is fine.

I'm not having an issue, worked fine this morning too.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Since when have we gone back to using "they promised it!" as advice? Every post that says "they promised a feature" should also have a massive addendum that says "they promise a lot of things that never actually happen". Sup 2011 Motorola promising unlocked bootloaders. Not trying to start an argument, but I want TPNMVZ to understand that promises from android manufacturers are literally worthless. Maybe it'll get world capabilities, maybe it won't, who knows!

Do not buy a phone on what you've been told it will have, buy a phone for the features it has currently. If it wasn't important enough to meet the launch specsheet, do you REALLY think they give a gently caress about some half-assed promise to a very specific and miniscule customer base? They're already planning the Droid 4 HD MAXX, they don't care about phones they released a month ago.

It's a promise from the carrier. Also, there's a difference between an unlocked bootloader and global roaming. The first was promised by Motorola and is something Verizon doesn't like (although they don't seem to stop it like Moto claims). Global roaming, on the other hand, was promised by Verizon. They make the ultimate decision and want you paying an arm and a leg to use their global network.

I agree that you take a chance when you buy on a promised feature that doesn't exist yet. I bought an original Omnia after Verizon promised to unlock the GPS so you didn't have to use Navigator. A year later, when I sold it, I still think they never unlocked it. I'm not sure though because I'd already dumped the version of Windows Mobile it shipped with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

Can I switch my individual plan to family and keep unlimited data? Was that ever an option?

Yes. I did it a few months ago.

• Locked thread