Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Bleh Maestro posted:

If I bought the phone at Best Buy should I go to them or straight to Verizon? Also I got that stupid Best Buy "black tie" protection, but I doubt they can do anything.

Go through Best Buy. Your blacktie is tied to your ESN on the phone, so if you get a new phone from Vzw it will be clustfuck when you do try and use your GSBTP. They would send it to service, and it's usually 3-5 days turn around for a refurb unit.

EvilMoFo posted:

Would an LG VX8700 require a data plan? Besides to use the internet/data, obviously.

It looks like a dumb phone but I want to make sure before I buy it on ebay for my family plan.

Doesn't need any type of data plans. Just things with iOS, Android, Blackkberry, webOS, Windows 7.

Also, not to be too much of a troll, but why do people like HTC so much? Almost every single one of their phones has issues, and sometimes really big issues, but people continue to talk about the "amazing build quality and support" of HTC phones. I know every manufacturer has issues, but people seem to think HTC has none.

Rent fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Great windows phones? I don't know about Verizon phones, but the Mogul, TP, and TP2 had an unbelievable amount of issues.

Anyways, just curious. Seems like you're hosed regardless; Motoblur lol, Samsung has a plethora of issues and can't get a GPS signal to save your life, and HTC constantly seems to have issues as well.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
In your contract, it clearly states that you fall into abnormal usage or are in the top 5% of data used, they will throttle you to 2g like T-Mobile does.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

PorkFat posted:

After reading up some more it looks like the D3 has a ridiculous return rate and I'm rally looking for a solid phone.

I see the htc trophy has amazing, almost flawless reviews on Verizon and amazon which is almost unheard of for smart phones. It's only $30 on Verizon online. What are the opinions on these? I'm especially concerned with battery life and solid uptime, good speaker phone and standards compatible browser with flash. Does this $30 phone have all that? I would love to have a phone on standby most of the day and still have at least 75% of its battery left.

The Trophys browser is hardware accelerated, so it's very good. It, however, does not have flash. You're stuck with Android if you want flash, although I can say I've never missed it. Youtube videos play just fine in the browser using HTML5, for example. Battery life is generally better than most Android handsets, but it's nothing to write home about. Like most smartphones, you'll want to charge it every night, but it'll easily last you throughout the day until you get home.

As far as uptime, I assume you mean reliability? WP7 are incredibly stable. It's very rare for an application to quit working, and I've never had one randomly reboot. You'll also be pleasantly surprised at how smooth the user interface is. There's virtually no lag between swiping screens, menus, etc. WP7 is incredibly smooth, despite being older hardware.

Be warned though, Verizon reps will try to talk you out of Windows platform, and half of them won't even know how to use the device. I went from a Palm Pre as well to a WP7 phone and couldn't be happier.

One last thing to consider: The philosphy behind Android and WP7 couldn't be more different. Just read through a random post about Android, and you'll have people recommending different roms, rooting, etc. It's highly tweakable, very customizable, and certain phones you NEED to tweak it to get it running smoothly. WP7 is entirely different. It's very simple, and simply works out of the box. There are barely any configuration options besides your main screen. If you like to tinker with phones constantly, you'll want an Android. If you want something to just work, you'll more than likely enjoy the Trophy.

Rent fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 20, 2011

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

WeaselWeaz posted:

Regardless of size, LTE, and such what is the best Android phone on VZW for battery life? The Rhyme may be returned if the replacement has software issues too. I'm considering an Incredible 1 or 2.

Not sure on the 2, but the first Incredible is the epitome of bad battery life. Stay away at all costs if you want battery life

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

PorkFat posted:

So far it's a pretty drat cool phone. I thought I was fine with the Pre+ but wow is the soft keyboard on this way better than the lovely hardware one on the Pre. It's even smoother than my overclocked and patched/hacked Pre. I just don't like that I have to go into all these settings to modify gps, push/download schedule. Half of the programs want location.

And WP7 really needs a dominoes game. Bad.

Generally if a random app wants GPS, it's to provide location-based advertising. Are they free apps with ads?

Also, did you read my advice a few pages back about on the Trophy? If so, did you find it to be relatively helpful? I work for Microsoft, but I try to give a realistic pitch on WP7 compared to other platforms.

Rent fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 28, 2011

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

Can you share data on a family plan or is it per device?

Per device. The only thing families share are minutes and family texting plans. All other features are per device.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Really don't understand why people get upset over this. It's been happening with all phones, but especially the Android/Verizon lineup.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

I know it's probably been discussed a handful of times throughout the life of this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a quality dumbphone? Search seems to parse every instance of the word 'dumbphone' and kinda defeats the purpose.

My sister wants to get something new, but doesn't really care for smart phones or the added cost of a data plan. Her only requisites are no flip phone, and have a keyboard.

On Verizon, shes up for an upgrade BUT I'd rather have her hold on to it (and offer it to me, on the family plan) and just buy the handset from some internet retailer and have Verizon activate it with her number - they can do that, right?

You'd be much better off buying a smartphone with an upgrade, selling it, buying a used keyboard phone for ~50 bucks. But yeah you're right, don't waste an upgrade on a non smartphone

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

parasyte posted:

The upgrade discounts do apply to individual lines; however, there's no requirement to keep the upgraded phone activated on that line (or at all), only that you keep the service for 24 months. So you upgrade a line but then activate another phone on it, and you have a usable phone that can be activated anywhere.

One thing to keep in mind because the dude might not know: if you do this at certain retailers, like Amazon and most online places, you will get hosed with a huge fee. Read the fine print.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Zakath posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen this answered, so I'll go ahead and ask:

If were to buy a Razr from Amazon as a new Verizon customer, would I be able to exchange it later for the galaxy nexus? I'm assuming I would have to pay the $300 (or whatever) they are charging for new/upgrade, and probably a restock fee as well, but I'd like to get in on this double-data deal and I am getting really sick of my HTC hero.

If you want to swap phones, do not buy from Amazon or any online retailer.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

AppleCobbler posted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/veriz...ource=pulsenews

$799.99 off contract, way to make your non-Droid brand flagship phone prohibitively expensive :thumbsup:

Third party stores are known to have ridiculous off-contract pricing. I believe the Palm Pre was $850 off-contract at Best Buy.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

nope. they fixed that loophole

One of the reasons I switched from a CDMA carrier. such anti-consumer bullshit like that

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

GSM carriers lock down thier pre-paid phones as well, there is just no control and a secondary grey market in unlocking them and using them not as intended.

ATT encourages you to use prepaid phones. In fact, when you open them, they clearly tell you how to use it if it's a replacement phone.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I'm considering doing an iphone for my parents to upgrade from their Droid 1. I don't like any of the current options in android for them. I have never owned an iphone though.

If they're not very techy people, iPhone and Windows Phone are their absolute best bets. There is only one Windows Phone on Verizon though. It's free by now, but older technology (this doesn't mean slower, though). Parents probably wouldn't notice.

iPhone is probably a better bet, if they want to spend the extra money, because all of their friends probably have them, and it's easier to share apps or help each other.

Both ecosystems would be a tremendous step up in terms of ease of use/smoothness for your parents.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

The Spookmaster posted:

Would it matter if she was eligible or not though since it's a free phone?

Of course it matters. They're not going to just hand you a phone for free. Both lines need to be due for an upgrade.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

SpacedOut posted:

This. Not to get all work ranty, and I hate to admit it, but I'm much much more willing to go "above and beyond" for a customer who is genuinely nice/understanding about a problem than for a customer who is an rear end in a top hat straight out of the gate.

Case in point: Yesterday I helped a very nice older lady who's home charger for her phone broke, and she was out of warranty. Since it was an older phone, we didn't have the charger in stock. Rather than make her pay for one & wait several days for it to ship to her, I just gave her one of our old tester chargers for free. If she had come in throwing a fit, instead of being nice, I probably would have never done that for her.

You know how some countries do 2 years of mandatory military service? The USA needs 2 years of mandatory retail/restaurant service.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Telcos are the most out of touch with reality people ever. Remember when Verizon made people get data packages on basic slideout phones? I think it was $15?

And then ATT mandated that if you want "messaging phone" with a keyboard, you have to get unlimited texting.

Considering a lot of these companies run an overall 40%+ net profit margin, it's sickening.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

SpacedOut posted:

What's your employee ID? I would love to forward this on to the higher ups. :)

Really, bro? Do you think everyone must absolutely love their job and think every higher-up decision is gold? People can be good at their job but loving loathe management, like oh I don't know every single person in the world practically.

Sounds like the dude just realizes all the poo poo Verizon is trying to pull lately.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

modig posted:

I'm on Verizon and MUCH happier with the service than when I was on ATT. I and the rest of my plan will be eligible for phone upgrades in October, after the new iPhone comes out. Is there any way to avoid paying way more? This is what the verizon site shows me. Basically our rate pre-fees will go from $184 to $219 and include less data on the new plans.

Holy poo poo those new plans are loving horrible for you

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Fluue posted:

Would I be crazy to consider purchasing a Razr HD right now? The DNA was a bit of a let down for me with the battery life, so I can't foresee any other phones I would want. The 8X is a possibility, but I'm not sure I want to hack solutions together for Google syncing on WP8.

What type of Google syncing are you planning?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

A corp rep can do it in store, right then and there. The line signing the contract loses unlimited, Not the line getting the phone.

Make sense?

Are you sure? I'm a third party using Eroes -> Alternative Upgrade, and when I did this, it only put the new data plan on the line receiving the phone, not the line who used the upgrade.

The customer assured me he talked to several VZW employees who said he'd be ok, so I said whatever and did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Ed Mungo posted:

I was talking to some coworkers today, and while I take pretty much everything they say with a large grain of salt I'd just like to get confirmation on this. Coworker told me that when she went to Verizon to ask about new phones, she was told that making any changes to her account, including swapping phones, would cause her to lose unlimited data.

Rep is wrong, stupid, ignorant, or just a normal cell phone rep who has no loving clue what he's doing.

Upgrades; lose unlimited data. Everything else: keep unlimited data.

• Locked thread