Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

This is a thread to discuss & ask questions about Verizon Wireless' service & devices.

Verizon Wireless, with over 104 million customers, operates the largest third generation-capable (3G) CDMA network in the United States and boasts "America's Largest and Most Reliable Network," as shown by internal and third-party testing. Verizon Wireless also operates the fastest and world's most advanced fourth generation (4G) LTE network, with coverage in 45 US markets (Expected to exceed 175 markets by the end of 2011). Verizon Wireless has invested an average of nearly $6 billion into it's network annually since being founded in 2000. Verizon Wireless was started as a joint venture between Verizon Communications and UK-based Vodafone.

Will update later.

— How can I sign up for my employee discount?
You can either sign up at the Employee Discount Program registration page, or by visiting your local corporate VzW store with a recent paystub (<60 days old) or a work ID badge which has at least your first initial & last name.
NOTE: In general, discounts only apply to the core rate plan and features >$24.99 on the primary line. Options & features, such as $9.99 add-a-lines, standalone messaging plans, VZ Navigator, etc., will not receive discounting. Mobile Broadband plans ≥$35 may receive a discount depending upon the discount profile, consult customer care or your local corporate VzW store for specific details.

— When will Verizon get the iPhone 5?
Sometime between now and I have no loving idea. Stop asking. We'll know when you know.

— Can I get 7pm Nights & Weekends?
Unfortunately, no. But all current plans include Nights & Weekends starting at 9:01pm and ending at 5:59am local time, plus unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling to 90+ million Verizon customers.

— How can I ensure my contacts are safe?
Verizon Wireless provides a free program called Backup Assistant that works on most devices. This program will automatically backup your contacts on a daily basis at the time period of your choosing. You can also view, add, and delete backed up contacts from the Backup Assistant section of your My Verizon account online.
 -- Feature Phone: Backup Assistant can be found in the main menu, under Contacts -> Backup Assistant or, with some older devices, under Media Center -> Browse & Download -> Get New Applications -> Backup Assistant (Some older feature phones may have Backup Assistant under a separate section. Consult the Support section of your My Verizon account for specific per-handset instructions).
 -- BlackBerry: A link to install Backup Assistant should automatically be been pushed to your handset shortly after activation and is found at the bottom of the main home screen. If the link wasn't properly pushed to your device, you can download the application by accessing http://start.vzw.com/ from your BlackBerry.
 -- DROID/Android: These devices will usually prompt during the initial activation to setup the Backup Assistant service. To set it up afterward, Backup Assistant is available under the "Accounts & Sync" (or similarly named) section of the phone's settings.
Contact Transfer on Backup Assistant Nonsuported Devices:
  -- iPhone: Apple iPhone devices support non-autosynced transfers of Backup Assistant contacts. To complete the transfer, sync your contacts to Backup Assistant on your original device first, then, after activation of your iPhone and iTunes App Store account, download the "VZ Contact Transfer" application from the App Store. VZ Contact Transfer only backs-up your contacts when the application is actively launched, not automatically in the background like with most other devices. For best safekeeping of your contacts, it's recommended to utilize your iPhone's inbuilt iCloud storage, or with an alternate backup solution, such as an Exchange server.
  -- WebOS: WebOS does not support Backup Assistant. Fortunately, WebOS will sync contacts through a multitude of accounts (i.e. Exchange, Facebook, Gmail, LinkedIn, & Yahoo) through its Synergy service.
  -- Windows Mobile: Backup Assistant is not currently supported on Windows Mobile 7 devices, but may be offered at some point in the future. For the time being, you can use alternate solutions (i.e. Exchange, Facebook, Yahoo, etc.).

— What is this fancy-schmancy 4G network stuff everyone's talking about?
4G, according to marketing departments, represents the high-data rate networks currently being deployed by all large US wireless providers. For Verizon Wireless this means LTE, for AT&T Mobility it means HSPA+ (well, LTE in the future), and for Sprint it means WiMAX (well, LTE in the future). This places AT&T only 199 markets behind Verizon, and Sprint only 210 markets behind Verizon (as of 01/12)…

4G, according to the ITU Radiocommunication Sector (aka people who know WTF they're talking about), means a network that is purely and securely all-IP based. This essentially means that the network will not only provide ultra-broadband services, it will have a pure VoIP voice network as well. No US carrier meets the aforementioned requirements as of yet. Verizon Wireless may/should/possibly/hopefully meet these requirements once they convert their LTE network to an LTE Advanced network in late-2012/early-2013.

4G, according to consumers, means significantly higher data rates.

— What's the coverage like where I live?
Check the VzW Coverage Locator for street-level coverage maps of your area.

— What sort of equipment protection is available? What's the difference between insurance and a warranty?
In general terms, insurance covers loss, stolen, or accidentally damaged equipment (including liquid & physical damage), and has an applicable deductible. A warranty covers electrical and mechanical defects, and has no deductible.

Every phone Verizon sells, whether New or Certified Pre-Owned, includes a 1-year warranty.

Verizon does offer an extended warranty option. Insurance is offered through a third-party licensed insurance agent, Asurion. There are three options to extend your equipment protection, which are:
 -- Total Equipment Coverage (TEC): $6.99/mo. per device Includes both insurance (through Asurion) & an extended warranty (through Verizon Wireless); also includes free overnight shipping (excluding Sundays & holidays) on warranty claims, plus free use of Asurion's Mobile Recovery service (on supported devices).
 -- Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP): $5.18/mo. per device Insurance alone. Warranty related issues beyond the first year will not be covered.
 -- Extended Warranty (EW): $1.99/mo. per device An extended warranty alone. Insurance related issues from day one will not be covered.

NOTE: iPhones have different equipment protection costs: TEC is $9.99/mo., WPP is $8.18/mo, and EW is $1.99/mo. Tablets also have different equipment protection costs: TEC is $9.99/mo., WPP is $8.18/mo, and EW is $1.99/mo.

For additional details, please read Verizon's Equipment Protection FAQ. Also, I'm not a state-licensed insurance sales agent, so do not trust a single word I just said, instead, please check Asurion's website, your local Verizon Wireless store, or call Asurion directly at (888) 881-2622 for full terms & conditions.

Android | Android Apps | Android Games | BlackBerry | iPad | iPhone | Windows Phone 7

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 8, 2012

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

sadus posted:

Re: Caller ID

I just find it odd they continue to advertise it as a feature of their plans though when they can't actually provide that feature. I wonder if this lack of an advertised feature would be cause to let people out of their contracts, like when they change the terms and people have a chance to cancel.

Really? Really??

Caller ID is a service that transmits the NUMBER of the calling party to the recepient's telco's switch, which is then passed on to the recipient's device if they subscribe to the service. Providing the name is an entirely different service, called Caller ID Name Delivery, or CNAM. Yes, most POTS providers give CNAM data with the CID service (probably because it isn't a free service on POTS lines), but, please, show me where in any wireless companies' advertisements, verbiage, terms of service, whatever, it states they provide CNAM?

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 20, 2011

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Sulk posted:

So if they drop the unlimited, does that mean that it's still going to be $30 a month for two gigs or so? Does the change allow for an early termination? I'm considering switching to AT&T to share a family plan with my girlfriend because my current family plan I'm on with Verizon has me using a lot of minutes each month talking to her. I don't know if it's a stupid idea or not, but I am thinking about it. I've had nothing but bad reception lately, though fortunately my new iPad is fine on VZW for the most part.

Unfortunately, whatever changes may be coming can't be used as a loophole to get out of your contract. Everyone with an unlimited data plan will be grandfathered at least until they voluntarily upgrade into a new device, so you won't encounter any "materially adverse" changes.

As far as your minutes for calling your lady friend go, call customer care and threaten to cancel. You should definitely qualify for a 5 Friends & Family loyalty promotion, even if you're on a minimum tier minute plan, making calls to her free anytime.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

^^ No one outside of Verizon's head office knows.

I get you, and I'm in pretty much the same boat (but already a Verizon customer). Just waiting on something close to concrete to come out.

Personally, I don't see how they can do away with unlimited data when their online / OTA data counters are at least a day behind. I mean, I can see it -- they can do whatever the gently caress they want -- but that doesn't seem even close to "right".

3G data usage reporting times are currently being improved by all carriers at the request of the FCC. VzW is currently down to 18-24 hours, with an ultimate goal of <12 hours (IIRC). 4G data reporting is dramtically improved, as the usage is usually reflected within 15 minutes. (This is probably because the 4G network was built 100% from the ground-up by big red, while the 3G network is a hodge-podge of different mergers and acquisitions.)

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Dirk Diggler posted:

I realize the Vortex is not the best of smartphones, but I have really grown to like having a smartphone over the past few months. The only way I see to keep it is to take the account back and just pay for it myself. The problem is I don't think my company will let me out from under their thumb. I will find out tomorrow one way or the other.

So my question is, can I do an Assumption of Liability and transfer the phone & number back to my control on my own, without my company being involved? The online rep I talked to said yes, but I suspect she may not know all the details involving corporate plans (she did admit as much). My other option would be to start a new account with Verizon on my own and then just turn my current phone in and tell them to shove it, but then I would lose my number.

I think tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

You will not be able to re-assume liability of that line without permission from whomever is responsible for the corporate account.

For all intents and purposes, your work now "owns" that mobile telephone number plus any associated device and services. You relinquished all rights to it when you gave permission for them to assume liability of it.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

[…]I've never been a huge AMOLED fan.[…]

I'm curious why you dislike AMOLED displays?

I've generally considered OLED to be the "future" of all flat panel displays, because they can display richer colors than an S-IPS panel, while also having true blacks. I thought Samsung being the only company with mass-produced AMOLED displays was because they own key patents *slash* they are the only company that heavily invested big $$$ into OLED before all the issues were resolved (i.e. blue diodes only lasting 10,000 hours).

I'd really appreciate hearing others' opinions, not only because I sell this stuff 40+ hours a week, but I'm also interested from a geek perspective.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

serewit posted:

I can't count how many times they would resell equipment that had been returned as new, for instance.

Biggest pet peeve, right here. Many agent stores are notorious for this. Since the manufacturer's warranties explicitly state that used/resold equipment is not covered, Verizon won't process warranty replacements for these devices. It always turns into a fight over something that is neither mine nor the customer's fault. :argh:

Duckman2008 posted:

Guy
Why does Android insist on autocorrecting "guy" to "Guy"?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Marketing Shill posted:

I thought we would only lose unlimited data if we had to change our actual calling plans. Upgrading your phpne and extending your contract would allow you to keep the unlimited data even after they announced the tiered data plans wouldn't it?

Unless they decide that you can only buy an iPhone 5 or a Droid Bionic without selecting the new plans. For example they did that before when you could no longer choose the pay per MB data plan. I think the XV6700 was the last phone to have that option. Hopefully a Verizon store rep can clear this up.

Changing your rateplan generally wouldn't be related to your data plan. You should be able to switch to rateplan at any time without penalty.

Once you have unlimited data, you will keep it, unless:
A) Verizon requires one of the speculated tiered data plans with devices launched after the new plans take effect. This is similar to your XV6700 example.
B) Verizon requires one of the speculated tiered data plans for any smartphone activated after X date. This is similar to when they created the 3G Multimedia Phone category of devices (which they later reneged on).
C) You, after the speculated tiered data plans launch, voluntarily switch to one of said plans, you won't be able to switch back to unlimited data (assuming it's no longer offered).
D) There is a possibility that the speculated tiered data plans may be somehow built directly into some sort of new rateplan offering (e.g. family data plans). This was mentioned as a distinct possibility by Verizon's CFO. If you switch to one of these new rateplans, you won't be able to switch back to unlimited data (assuming it's no longer offered).

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

KingSlime posted:

So I see the Droid 3 is right around the corner and poo poo am I excited for it. The only worrisome thing is that it seems the Chinese version only has 512 megs of RAM, and this seems to be a big deal I guess? A lot of comments on various articles online seem to think this is a deal breaker and that at least 1 gig of ram was expected. Being an Ally owner, I'm sure the phone will still be a significant improvement, but, if the US version has the same specs, is that something I should be concerned about?

Deal breaker? No. Letdown? Yes, especially considering the Droid 3 has top-tier specs in every other category. There are no 1GB RAM Android devices currently offered by Verizon, but I would have expected at least 768MB of RAM, which is what the Thunderbolt and Incredible 2 have.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not sure if you can port numbers between accounts on VZW, though, so that could be a snag if you want to keep your existing #s.

Can't "port" numbers between Verizon accounts. The only possibility, which I do NOT recommend, is to port to another company's prepaid service, wait 30 days, then port back. You'd have to wait 30 days, because anything less than that we would just reactivate the old account (making it look like we gained a "new" customer when we really didn't is not good business practice).

Also, you can upgrade 4 months before the end of your contract.

Cayburn:
You can move any Verizon number between accounts at any time, whether you're under contract or not, without penalty or fee. The upgrade schedule is "sticky," though, meaning it will transfer with the number.

You should be able to upgrade no problem. Be sure to assume liability, THEN do the upgrade. Reason being, when the liability change is processed the legal owner of whatever device is active on your number at that time will change from your parent to you, voiding the warranty (see my post in the middle of the previous page for more info).

As far as your wife goes, you have four possible options:
- Transfer her number now and wait for her upgrade date.
- Transfer her number later, when she's eligible to upgrade. You would just go on to a single plan, then switch to a Family SharePlan at that time (no penalty).
- Create a new number for her on your account to qualify for new equipment.
- See if anyone else on her parent's account is upgrade eligible, and (assuming that person doesn't want a new phone anytime soon) use that upgrade to get her a new phone, then assume liability of her line.

Also, are you sure you went to a corporate store? Corporate locations will be able to do all of this on the spot. If you/your wife are authorized account managers you're able to approve liability transfers. If you're not, have your parent(s) call in and pre-authorize the transfers.

If you were at a corporate store and they wouldn't do this for you, you got someone who was either lazy, incompetent, or both. Sorry.

P.S. Make sure you have them check to see if you or your wife qualifies for an employee discount (or just ask me. I may know off the top of my head if it's a larger company.). If your wife does and you don't, you'll need to put the account in her name. Be sure to have a recent (<60 days old) paystub for proof of employment.

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 20, 2011

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

Can anyone give me a breakdown of voice and texting pricing?

Check the OP.

There are also three standalone messaging plans not detailed in the OP:
$5/mo - 250 messages
$10/mo - 500 messages plus unlimited M2M messaging
$20/mo - 5,000 messages plus unlimited M2M messaging

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

If MLB At Bat streams at 768kbps & an average game lasts 3 hours, that tips the scales at just over 1GB for a single game.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

GI_Clutch posted:

Do New Every 2 upgrades disappear when moving a line from one account to another? I know NE2 is dead, but we recently moved my wife from her old plan onto my plan. She had been eligible for an upgrade since 2008 (that little Samsung flip phone did everything she needed), so she had to have at least some sort of NE2 discount on that sucker (no idea how much it was back then) since she would have been grandfathered in.

Anyway, when we bought her a Droid Incredible 2, she didn't get any discount beyond the standard two year renewal price.

Yes, the additional NE2 discount strips off when a line is transferred from one account to another. They also strip off whenever a primary line becomes a secondary (this has always been the case, ever since NE2 launched), which I imagine happened when you took over her line.

Was your wife originally on an individual plan, or the primary on a family plan? If so, then she would have definitely had some sort of NE2 credit. If your certain about it being 2008, the NE2 would have been $50 for rateplans <$79.98, $100 for plans >$79.98. If she was the secondary on a family plan she would not have qualified for any sort of NE2.

The person who processed the assumption of liability was supposed to disclose that the NE2 would not transfer. If she had one and they didn't make the proper disclosures, I would recommend calling customer care to complain. They might be able to give you some sort of credit to your account to compensate for the lost NE2 monies. Not promising anything, but it's definitely worth a try (especially now that you're armed with more information).

P.S. If she was on a family plan and someone else on the plan used her upgrade to get themselves the phone, they would have used the NE2 credit. Probably want to make sure nobody did this before you call and throw a fit. :)

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Hed posted:

Can I sign up for a family plan on Verizon and not activate a new phone, keeping my CDMA phone that was originally from Verizon?

I'd like to save my subsidized upgrade for a phone coming out later this year, and I think the wife would too. But of course this sounds like such a sweet deal I'm sure it won't work.

edit for clarity.

This is definitely doable. Just go to your Verizon corporate store and let them you know you want to activate a new account with your own equipment. If the salesperson does it properly, this will mean you won't be under contract and therefore will qualify for subsidized equipment whenever you feel like it. A new 2-year agreement will be signed once you eventually buy new equipment.

If you want to be a good guy, make sure you ask for the salesperson's business card and let them know you'll go and see them again when you decide to buy your new equipment (they'll be happy because they know they'll get two sales from one customer, and therefore should be less likely to "accidentally" put you under contract during the initial activation).

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There's a separate feature code for iOS? That seems kind of odd and pointless.

I mean, I can sort of understand breaking out BBs because of the server shenanigans, but from the network's point of view what's the difference between an iPhone and an Android phone?

There isn't. Android, iOS, WiMo 7, & WebOS all use the same feature code, RIM has it's own code for BIS & yet another one for BES, & dumbphones also have their own unlimited data feature code.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

descriptions the same, but I see a different 5 digit vision code in eroes for iOS.

Hmmm, perhaps I just never noticed the data plan change when activating OS -> OS.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

fnkels posted:

I guess I'm going to have to jump to Verizon before 7/7 then.

If I have a corporate discount, but I want to buy my phones from Amazon wireless, how can I get my corporate discount added? Do I have to go into a Verizon store after I get my phones?

Another weird question. Amazon doesn't sell the Iphone 4 for Verizon. If I buy 2 phones from Amazon Wireless, then go into the store to activate a 3rd line, will the 3rd line get the subsidized price for the Iphone?

To add your discount, you can either sign up at Verizon's Employee Discount Program registration page, or by visiting your local corporate Verizon store with a recent paystub (<60 days old) or a work ID badge which has at least your first initial & last name to show proof of employment. Do it ASAP, though, because it only takes effect once you show proof (i.e. it's not backdated).

Also, as Cozmosis said, you'll have no problem getting the iPhone for $199/$299 if you're activating the 3rd line later at the store.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Kinda late to the game on this, but I was waiting for something official from corporate that I was allowed to say on the whole data plan change fiasco event.

Anyway, in regards to being able to renew your existing unlimited smartphone data plan:

Q: I have heard that Verizon Wireless is changing their data plans and eliminating the unlimited plan. I am currently on an unlimited plan, will I be forced to change my plan upon launch of the new plans?

A: Historically, we have not forced customers to move from an old plan to a new plan and we don't foresee this being the case with this change.

Q: I am currently on an unlimited plan. Will I have to change to one of your new data plans if I upgrade my phone or renew my contract?

A: If you are currently using a Smartphone with an unlimited plan and you upgrade to a new Smartphone or otherwise renew your contract, you will not be required to move to the new pricing at this time. However, if you are currently using a basic (feature) phone with an unlimited plan and you upgrade to a new Smartphone, you will be required to move to one of the new usage based data plans.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Hed posted:

Ok, this should be my last question for a while I swear:

The Droid Incredible 2 is on sale on Amazon now so my wife wants it now. I still want to bring a Verizon Treo 755p in and have them activate it next week when I get it in.
Can she buy phone and sign up for a 2-year single line plan off Amazon, and then next week we go in to a Verizon store, upgrade to a family plan by adding my original equipment as outlined in the quote, and also apply our corporate discount? Then, whenever a phone I like comes out I can use the 2-year subsidy thingy and sign an extension on my line (as outlined in the quote).

Sorry this is super complicated but it's hard to pass a deal like this up when the phone costs so much in store.

This won't be a problem on the Verizon end of things, but you will want to read the Amazon T's & C's carefully when purchasing her phone. Sometimes they'll have special requirements (e.g. data plan, minimum rate plan, etc.) that must be maintained for a minimum of 6 months or else they'll charge you a fee of some sort.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

Any opinions on the Verizon Certified Pre-Owned phones? I've heard pretty much nothing but good things but I just wanted to see what you guys thought. A CPO Thunderbolt is relatively cheap with a contract (apparently returns are high, haha) and I wouldn't have to deal with Amazon or Wirefly's scary additional ETFs.

I've had good luck with the Certified Pre-Owned program. They come with a 1-year warranty and are insurable just like standard new devices.

All of our employee phones are CPO, and I've never had one arrive DOA or with any other issues. I also just purchased a CPO 32GB iPhone for my personal line (saved $70) and when I received it there was a tiny dent in the speaker grill on the bottom. Called care and they overnighted me another CPO under the 14-day return/exchange period without any hassle. The replacement arrived in mint condition.

Acrolos posted:

It's about 50/50 for me. They always send CPO phones as warranty replacements, and two of the four that I've received over the past few years were completely inoperable and useless. The other two were fine.

I don't see a problem with going for it, because you have a return period if there are problems. I would just make sure that you're more willing to call tech support with an issue if it comes up...so you can start the return process if there are major issues down the line.

Supposedly the CPO program's devices are different from the CLNR (warranty) program's devices. I've heard from several parties, although have never been able to personally confirm, that CPO devices are customer returns and/or warranty returns that never actually had a defect, while CLNR devices are phones which had a defect that needed to be repaired.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Aatrek posted:

I can't click on 'My Bill,' just 'Pay Bill.'

Do I have to be the primary line to view those details?

Sounds like your registered as an Account Member. You need to be registered as the Account Owner (which is most likely the primary line) to view these details.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

I wonder if they come with all the original accessories though, I'd ask about that before I pulled the trigger on one.

Fear not, they do.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Anyone know offhand what class the stock (2Gig) memory card is on the Droid X? I bought a class 4 (16Gig) PNY yesterday and it's not worth a poo poo. I formatted it on my laptop then copied over all the files from the stock card and it just causes my phone to freeze and crap out constantly.

I know the first memory cards to be included were standard SanDisk Class 2 16GB memory cards, but after the refresh to 2GB cards? I don't know, but it's doubtful they'd go with a higher class if 2 worked well.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Thanks for the heads-up; I want to use something as close to stock as possible to rule out a hardware issue if things go tits-up on me again.

Maybe try formatting it from the X itself? Maybe it prefers a fat32 cluster size that's different from Windows' default or some other weird particularity? Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 29, 2011

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

ObsidianBeast posted:

This might be a stupid question, but do the replacement phones due to hardware defects come from the extra insurance that is an option, or is that insurance just for if you do damage to the phone?

Think of it like car insurance vs a car's warranty. :iiaca:

Insurance is for things that are not the manufacturer's or Verizon's fault (e.g. lost/stolen, cracked screen, dropped it into a toilet, etc.), has a deductible, and lasts as long as you pay the monthly premium. The 1 year warranty, however, covers things that are the manufacturer's or Verizon's fault (e.g. button stops clicking, earpiece goes out, charging port stops taking a charge, etc.) and is included with any new or certified pre-owned phone.

There's also an extended warranty available which is either $1.99 by itself, or $6.99 when bundled with insurance, which works just like the regular warranty (i.e. no deductible), and last as long as you pay for it.

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 29, 2011

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Southpaw posted:

I can only upgrade with a 2 year contract or month-to-month options? Where the hell did the 1 year contract go? I missed a memo or something.

Unfortunately, you did.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Just a general FYI:

Did you know that if you have Total Equipment Coverage (the insurance + warranty option) you get free use of Asurion's Mobile Recovery app? Mobile Recovery is remote GPS locator, remote lock, remote wipe app.

It works on most Androids, BlackBerrys, webOS devices, and a handful of feature phones (here's a list of supported devices).

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

NofrikinfuN posted:

Do any of you know anything about the 550 minute/month loyalty plan? I was recently moved to one following a dispute over a device return and had a question. If I were to add a line to my service now, would I automatically lose that plan and be bumped back to the average joe plan?

I would like to keep the plan since I didn't use 1/5th of my total minutes per month before, but I'm planning to add a line soon to help my parents get a cell phone. I don't see why they wouldn't allow me to keep it as it is supposedly for my continued loyalty, (2+ years on Verizon) but when I preview the option to add a line, the minimum voice plan is 700 minutes.

Come to think of it, I lost a loyalty plan on my original phone when I moved to a family plan, but I assumed that was because I was going from single to family...

You can add a line on for $9.99/mo without a problem, except you may be unable to do so online since it's a non-standard rateplan.

The only thing a loyalty plan can't have is plan level unlimited texting (you have to go with per line features instead).

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Bambi posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's direct fill?

Direct fill (aka Direct Fulfillment) means an item will be shipped directly to a customer's residence or workplace. In the case of the Droid 3, it's probably due to (perceived) high demand, so they're making them available as soon as they hit Verizon's warehouse before they can even get them out to retail stores.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

low-key-taco posted:

Due to crazy cost difference of android phone vs iphones for me and my girl ($200X2 for iphone, $150 BOGO on android) I ended up signing up with verizon and getting two HTC incredible 2s. I dithered a bit on droid x2 vs incredible and went with the htc randomly but I can return them. Reviews on these phones seem pretty spec heavy, anyone have thoughts?

I, personally, prefer the Incredible 2 over the X2. HTC generally makes a pretty solid phone. There have also been some reports of X2 hardware issues (although I have not seen any evidence of this in store), and I am less than pleased with Motorola's quality of major Android updates thus far. I have had to assist with more hard resets for issues relating to Moto Droid X1 Froyo -> Gingerbread updates than I have had to for any phone before.

FoxMcCloud posted:

I've seen a lot of info about people moving from unlimited 3G to 4G, but I haven't seen anything about feature phones. Is there any chance if I use a cheap old feature phone and get the unlimited data plan before July 7th, that I could upgrade to a smartphone later and keep unlimited data?
Confirming what jfreder said. I just found out at work today, dumbphone unlimited plans will not be upgradable to smartphone unlimited plans, only smartphone tiered plans.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

serewit posted:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/07/05/verizon-confirms-unlimited-smartphone-data-plans-to-be-retired-on-july-7th/

New Plans

$10/75MB
$30/2GB
$50/5GB
$80/10GB

Overage $10/1GB

Hadn't heard about the $10/75MB. I forsee that one causing a lot of fun for Verizon employees.

$10/75MB is actually a plan that Verizon currently offers. It's for basic phones only, and will remain this way after the 7th.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Taran posted:

I hope that Verizon store employees are getting overtime pay or something for working today, because the rush of people scrambling to get last-minute smartphones was pretty impressive to see here in Boston.

Off the charts busy. I'm on my fifteen minute lunch break (usually an hour).

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

waffle iron posted:

Find someone leaving Verizon who has unlimited data and do an assumption of liability on their account?

Unlimited falls off when an assumption of liability is processed.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Ziir posted:

My sister has a Droid 2 with Verizon and she just got it replaced again, making it like the 8th Droid 2 she's had now. They keep replacing it free of charge so I'm assuming it's something wrong with the phones themselves and I think after two times its just getting ridiculous. She keeps begging them to just give her another phone (different model) but they keep refusing, but they do say she can pay for a new phone at a discounted price.

This sounds like a load of bullshit to me. Is there anything she can do to get a different phone (for free) because at the rate this is going she's gonna go back into the store to get her 9th one in a month.

Switching to a different phone is a possibility. Have her speak with a manager.

That being said, the Droid 2 is not a phone I see many issues with, and I'm a fairly satisfied Droid 2 user myself. It can be a bit slow at times, but I think it's just because Motorola had to make some trade-offs hardware wise to compensate for the extra cost of building a slider/keyboard device. But I certainly don't see any outright problems with it.

Speaking entirely in a non-Verizon capacity, and to be perfectly blunt, may I point out, since the Droid 2 itself doesn't have any known issues, what is the only common denominator between your sister's 8 different Droid 2s?

deadwing posted:

Irregardless
:suicide:

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 11, 2011

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Hed posted:

Do it like my attorney and dictate "period paragraph".

But what would happen if the attorney said "The plaintiff maintains that she was on her period period paragraph"

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

WeaselWeaz posted:

Anyone have experience with the HTC Rhyme? My normally smartphone and touchscreen hating fiancee wants to get one. The color and Charm accessory hooked her.

I usually dislike gender-specific gadgets, but overall I'd say the Rhyme a pretty drat good phone. I will confess the charm is pretty much a gimmick, but the included charging dock and headphones are pretty top quality. If it wasn't plum-colored, I'd recommend it to my customers as often as I recommend the Incredible 2.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

helium muppet posted:

Can a Verizon employee verify this? I called them and the lady said to upgrade and then switch over to the family plan...

This is correct. Switching liability of a phone number voids the manufacturer's warranty onthe device (unless you pay for the extended warranty or total equipment coverage).

The "logic" behind this is that manufacturer warranties never cover resold stuff (e.g. If you buy a used toaster off eBay, the mfg won't warranty it even if it's within the warranty period). When you transfer liability of a line, the true legal owner of that device becomes the receiving account holder, so in essence the phone was resold to them.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For a phone with unlimited data that is on a family plan (and the only phone with data), but it isn't the primary line: How would you go about getting that phone off the family plan without losing the unlimited? Or is it impossible?

eddyc49 posted:

Along the same lines as Fuzzy, but I'm looking to do the opposite (Single Line to Family). I'd be interested if I can keep my unlimited.

Unlimited data cannot be maintained when moving lines between accounts (i.e. when doing assumptions of liability). If you're going from single to family plan on the *same* account the unlimited will stay, it's only when actually switching from one account to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

JP Money posted:

So you're saying if I upgrade phones then drop off my family plan to my own single account that I'll lose unlimited data? I thought everyone has been saying the opposite?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so confusing. If you have unlimited data you can make any plan changes (family to single, single to family, add or remove lines, two concurrent family plans, etc.) and keep the unlimited data as long as the line stays on that same account.

However, the instant a line moves to a different account (this includes assumptions of liability & "changing names" on an account), whether new or existing, the unlimited data falls off.

So, if you take your line and make a separate single line plan that stays on the same account & the same bill that it's currently on (think of it as riding sidecar) you'll keep the unlimited data (it won't be in your name though). If you actually take your line, pluck it off that account and put it into a new account in your name *bam* 2GB data plan.

• Locked thread