Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

LordOfThePants posted:

Question for the Verizon employees here:

Last September (2010), I added my grandmother to my family share plan so she could get off a prepaid cell phone and on to something a little more reliable.

We just had to move her into a nursing home, and it's likely she won't be able to go back home. She obviously doesn't need the cell phone anymore, so my Mom asked if I could cancel the line.

Assuming a $5/mo prorate on the ETF, it makes more sense for me to cancel the line rather than pay another 11 months of $10+taxes to run out the contract.

Is there any way they'll waive the ETF in this case? I'd rather not pay it if I can.

VV I thought about going the "Grandma died" route, but I've heard they ask for proof so that won't work. Maybe I'll just call and hope for a sympathetic CSR.

We do not ask for proof. "Terminal illness" is also a legit reason to have the ETF waived. And as other said about it being an add-a-line and the main account holder still being in fine health, that doesn't matter. Death/Terminal Illness is one of the areas Verizon shines (at least compared to previous employers). We take your word on it and disconnects are generally hassle-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

If I bring my own LTE hotspot, does Verizon require that I still sign a 2-year contract to start service on a postpaid plan? The prepaid mobile broadband options kind of suck rear end and Verizon gets the best coverage for my daily train ride to Los Angeles.

As kitten smoothie said, your activation options are either a 2-year contract, if you want subsidized equipment, or non-contract, if you're going to BYOE (equipment) or pay full retail.

The only caveat is that Verizon NEVER waives activation fees for non-contract activations (even if your employee discount stipulates activation fee waivers). This is to prevent people from activating/deactivating service all willy-nilly.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

jfreder posted:

So I have this weird problem with Google Voicemail. I had it set up for a month or so with no problems but eventually I realized any time I had a missed call, I would have two. So the person would call, hang up, then call right back and leave a message. I thought it was just people being weird but my grandma told me that my voicemail was too confusing and that it kept asking her to redial the number. After testing it out this is what happens:

Someone calls and it rings
The voice tells them to dial the number they want and press #
They re-enter the number and it rings again
They can leave a voicemail

As far as I know, I haven't made any changes to GV since I set it up initially. I also know it was working correctly in the beginning but not anymore.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Have you actually picked a GV number? I had a customer the other day with the exact same issue, and it turned out he was just using the default open access GV number and never actually picked his own unique number.

Also, make sure all three vm call fordarding options are set to direct calls to your GV number, and that GV is set to Do Not Disturb.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

CancerStick posted:

:words:

Forget any/all voicemail settings on your Bionic or any other Android. I've never used them and, honestly, don't know how the gently caress they work.

First and foremost, make sure you have your own, unique, Google Voice number. On http://voice.google.com/, under the left sidebar you should see, toward the bottom, "Your number: (XXX) XXX-XXXX". If you don't see "Your number:" then you need to create a GV number.

Once you have confirmed the above, from your phone, call the following numbers (replacing <GVnumber> for your unique Google Voice number):

First…
*71<GVnumber> [SEND]
then…
*90<GVnumber> [SEND]
finally…
*92<GVnumber> [SEND]

If you're still having trouble, try enabling "Do Not Disturb" mode under the Calls section of GV's Settings.

If you're still having trouble, you're doing something wrong.

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 8, 2011

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

FYI: Stores in my region will be opening an hour late on Friday for the launch of the Razr. O_o

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

decoy octopus posted:

I would be careful about this because a few times I've called into COOS for people who got screwed by other stores and put on Tiers I was told "We don't even have the code in the system to put it back" so ymmv and I'd try to get it in writing that they'll give it back to you.

Corporate retail locations should have no problem restoring an unlimited data plan as long as the request meets specific requirements. They won't be able to reapply the feature on the spot, but will instead have to submit a form to corporate who will then reapply it, usually in fewer than 3 business days.

As long as unlimited data has not been off of a line for greater than 14-days it meets the aforementioned requirement. This applies if a direct or indirect agent accidentally removes unlimited data during an upgrade and/or device change, or even the customer removes it themselves (e.g. reactivating an old flip phone while waiting on an insurance/warranty replacement).

Unlimited data can also be reapplied up to 60-days after removal, but that's on a case-by-case basis. The process to request it is the same, but Verizon corporate makes the final decision.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Thoom posted:

If the fee is like $10-30, I'm willing to pay it. I'll ask a rep for more details when I buy my Nexus. Thanks!

There are no fees, as in $0, for changing an existing Verizon Wireless number to a ported number.

The billing will look a bit weird if you do so mid-billing cycle, because a portion of the bill will be on the old number and a portion on the new, but otherwise, you will incur zero monies lost.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Dickeye posted:

I'm thinking the Droid 2.

Psh… more like Droid Eris.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Meaning "When we think we won't get any new people with it"

Come on, January 22-29.

Well, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is a holiday, so maybe.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Mark Larson posted:

Avoid LG like the plague. I'd recommend the Droid Razr/Razr Max or Rezound or Galaxy Nexus.

LG cannot seem to make a good smartphone to save their life. Which is strange because their basic phones are generally quite nice.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Vintimus Prime posted:

Looks like VZW is jumping on the upgrade fee bus:

http://gizmodo.com/5901023/no-more-free-phone-upgrades-verizons-30-fee-starts-april-22nd

I think it's time to use some of the vacation time I've been banking up, beginning April 22nd… :smith:

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, apparently they made something like $4.65B in profits last year.

Verizon Wireless actually had a net income of $16.6B in 2010. [1]

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Even less reason for this bullshit charge, then.

But if, say, 1/3 of Verizon's customers renew their contracts, that's $1bn in additional revenue. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just giving the accountants perspective.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looks like he broke off the little plastic flap that you can open/close to reveal the charging port. They would probably flip if they saw that, huh?

No, that's perfectly fine. Seems like most people remove theirs. I'd consider myself quite the rear end in a top hat if I ever even thought of denying a warranty claim for such a small thing.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

(Does Verizon resell their network like that? I'd guess that they don't have to, since they already have more customers than just about anyone.)

MVNOs that use VZ's network include Jitterbug, Page Plus, OnStar, Pure Mobile, and Omni Prepaid. Also, Straight Talk & TracFone use Verizon in some markets, and a company called KORE Telematics uses Verizon for its machine-to-machine connections. But to answer your question, no, Verizon is not the MVNO-whore that Sprint is.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

At the rate Motorola releases major updates, by the time they launch ICS, Google will be launching Key Lime Pie.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Speaking of which, any word on Google's Motorola acquisition. Has anything come of it yet?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

It's going to take about 24-48 hours to get it back as it has to be submitted to an offline team for review. The codes to re-add the feature used to be live in the system to be used at discretion but are now currently the domain of of a group that does not take phone calls directly. Also it's not 14 days to get it back AND THATS FINAL THE CLOCK IS TICKING, it's 14 days to submit the request to get it back.

I really doubt anyone is doing anything as asinine as "running out the clock." Customer service doesn't get anything positive out of anyone losing a feature they are legitimately supposed to have.

The biggest thing by far that is looked at for rating customer service interactions is customer feedback surveys. Your typical customer service rep will do everything possible to get your poo poo straightened out because you might get a survey. Also that's their loving job.

I will second this. I've submitted many IPRs (Inactive Pricing Requests, a form we fill out to re-add grandfathered pricing/features, such as unlimited data) and they generally take 5-7 business days to complete. The department is very proactive about the changes, and will automatically communicate back with the submitter any approvals, denials, or if they have questions. I had one incident where I accidentally put the wrong code in the form, and the person processing it emailed me to verify the correct code before applying it. They may be slow, but they do their jobs well.

Tl;dr: It's not in Verizon's interest to gently caress over good customers, and sometimes multi-billion dollar corporations can do things right.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

3) Being an rear end in a top hat makes us all want to help you even less. So if you are a complete jerk, and the policy is XXX but you know SOMETIMES, you can get an exception made for something, why put your neck out for the guy who is screaming and insulting you? 99% percent of the time you are yelling at a person who had absolutely nothing to do with the transaction that you are upset about, so getting pissed off at them accomplishes nothing.

This. Not to get all work ranty, and I hate to admit it, but I'm much much more willing to go "above and beyond" for a customer who is genuinely nice/understanding about a problem than for a customer who is an rear end in a top hat straight out of the gate.

Case in point: Yesterday I helped a very nice older lady who's home charger for her phone broke, and she was out of warranty. Since it was an older phone, we didn't have the charger in stock. Rather than make her pay for one & wait several days for it to ship to her, I just gave her one of our old tester chargers for free. If she had come in throwing a fit, instead of being nice, I probably would have never done that for her.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

MeinGott posted:

I was very polite so maybe I will get unlimited data AND a bag of stickers :3:

I can give you a complimentary Verizon Earth Day reusable grocery bag.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

MeinGott posted:

RIP Unlimited Data.
I took you for granted and now you're gone.
:911:

If you'd like to PM me your mobile telephone number, I'll see what I can do for you when I'm in my store tomorrow.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

*228[99] does not work, the ESN must be entered on the account and then the phone factory data reset (erase all content and settings)

You can also just do "Reset Network Settings" for a quicker way to reactivate that won't remove any information from the iPhone.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

stormrider posted:

Weird, just noticed that Verizon.com is offering me the full upgrade discount price on a new phone even though my early upgrade window should start until August. Is there some kind of promotion running right now?

Currently, some customers are eligible to upgrade into 4G smartphones early.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

stormrider posted:

Awesome. Question, do you have to be on a Verizon network to activate a new phone? I'm in Alaska for at least a few more months. Roams on ACS Alaska, which counts as an "Extended Network" (I've never been billed fees or anything). To get phone updates I've always had to switch the network to "Home Only," and then connect via w-fi.

A few years back I had an issue with a T-Mo phone that couldn't activate until I was actually on a T-Mo tower.

Like SeaborneClink said, I don't think a 4G device will activate on an extended network, since they're SIM card based, just like you're old T-Mobile phone.

If you need to activate a 3G device on an extended network, you can call *22890, as the "90" portion forces the tower to seek out Verizon's OTA activation servers. Unfortunately, 4G devices don't use *228, so I don't think they'll activate off network.

Do you have friends/family back in the contiguous that could possibly activate if for you, then ship you the phone? You'd be without a phone for a few days, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

adebisi lives posted:

So I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm stuck between the galaxy nexus and the razr maxx. From what I've read the razr has better build quality and an awesome battery but its stuck in android update limbo for who knows how long. On the other hand the nexus has the latest software, a bigger screen, but it feels a bit flimsier it sounds like the battery/reception is kinda poo poo. So yea, I have no idea what to get, any input would be greatly appreciated.

IMO, once ICS gets pushed to the MAXX, it'll be, unquestionably, the best phone Verizon has. I have the Razr (regular) for my work phone, and I am very pleased with it. It's the first Android phone I've had in quite some time that I've been this truly satisfied with. There's only one single issue I can think of, which is that the Mobile Hotspot tends to drop its connection randomly, but otherwise it's a great piece of equipment. And the MAXX would, obviously, be even better.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The lack of an unlockable bootloader and AOSP support are definitely downsides. Now, if you have no desire to root or custom ROM or that kind of thing, then sure, ICS on the MAXX definitely comes close to closing the gap. But for those who value these two properties of the Galaxy Nexus, the MAXX is simply insufficient.

Since it's my work phone, and technically owned by Verizon, I never root my devices.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Nice! How did you swing that?

Because I'm a baller.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Can't we all just get along and bitch about draconian data caps like we did in the days of yore?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

And, with our latest launch, we hit 66%+ 4G LTE coverage of the US population.

I can't believe Verizon is going to hit, and possibly even beat, the target of total penetration *giggity8 by Q1-2013. Before working for VZW, I worked for AT&T Mobility, who seemed to take quite a lackadaisical attitude to their 3G rollout. I live in NW Ohio, a medium-to-low populated area, and both VZW and Sprint got EVDO upgrades wayyy before AT&T even considered launching UMTS/HSPA in us smaller markets. Whenever we inquired about when we'd get 3G, it was always "Yeah, yeah. We'll get to you when we get to you." as if their 100,000 subscribers in the Toledo area were waiting in line at the DMV.

Verizon Wireless, on the other hand, made it a huge deal for us. Something to be excited about. From the very beginning, our district had a "possible" launch window. And as time went on, the window became smaller and smaller, and surprisingly, moved sooner and sooner. We were originally expected to launch LTE sometime in Sept '11. The true date became June 21, 2011 (IIRC). Verizon even hosted a special training-slash-breakfast to for everyone in our area to celebrate and educate us on the launch.
When AT&T launched 3G, we got an email. :confuoot:

The whole thing just shows how much of a better culture, from my perspective at least, Verizon is than AT&T was. AT&T always seemed to carry that big bell attitude of "you use us because you need us;" Verizon, however, seems to carry the attitude of "you use us because you want us." I'm not going to get all sappy, but as much as Verizon can be a loving pain in the rear end to work for, it's the first place I've worked for that has had such a positive and rewarding culture.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

On the subject of internal batteries: We recently had a middle aged guy bring in a Droid RAZR MAXX that was in pieces. As in, literally, the back was separated, the internal circuitry was out, the screen was cracked, the tiny ribbon connecting some component to the board (I'm guessing the display) was torn, the battery was removed; the whole 9 yards.

Anyway, turns out the dude's phone locked up, so in his infinite wisdom, he looked up instructions online on how to disassemble the phone, watched a YouTube video, grabbed some tools and went to town. Unfortunately, because he had the dexterity of Michael J. Fox after a can of Red Bull, the guy completely destroyed it in the process. All just so he could soft reset the phone.

He then has the audacity to get enraged and yell at us because we wouldn't replace his phone under warranty. Sometimes I wish I could say what I'm really thinking, because I would've told the guy "I apologize sir, but the manufacturer's warranty doesn't include a loving Idiot clause." I mean, seriously, during the whole tedious process of researching and disassembling the phone he didn't pause, even for a second, to think "gosh, there's gotta be an easier way to do this…"?

By the way, on the RAZR, all it takes to do a soft reset is to hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously for 5-10 seconds.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

I essentually told them if you car's radio malfunctions, and to shut it off you drive the car into a bridge abutment, that doesn't entitle you to a new car

I have never had a job where :iiaca: was more appropriate. I use car analogies with customers near daily.

Also, people are idiots.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

The Catalyst posted:

Absofrickinlutely. I was running an iPhone4 for the last year+, and I just recently upgraded to a Razr Maxx. The difference in speed was night & day, almost makes me wonder why I waited so long to take the leap.

It's not just the speed, it's the capacity. I went to a Radiohead concert a couple weeks ago, meaning 10,000+ Verizon subscribers under the same tower. My friends all had their iPhones, I had my Razr. They couldn't even send a single tweet, let alone post pictures, etc. My Razr worked perfectly fine.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

I moved my employee account to a 10GB SEP and saved the equivalent (as in, without my employee discount) of $90 per month. Granted, two of the people on my account use 2000+ minutes each, so I had them on their own old unlimited plan. I'm just trying to point out that the new plans don't necessarily suck for everyone.

On any given day, I'd guess 50%+ of my customers save money on the new plans, or pay the exact same as before but gain the benefit of unlimited calling and free mobile hotspot.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

kstatix posted:

I also work for verizon and I could give two shits about my employer[…]

What's your employee ID? I would love to forward this on to the higher ups. :)

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Rent posted:

Really, bro? Do you think everyone must absolutely love their job and think every higher-up decision is gold? People can be good at their job but loving loathe management, like oh I don't know every single person in the world practically.

Sounds like the dude just realizes all the poo poo Verizon is trying to pull lately.

It was a joke. Calm down, bro.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Drifter287 posted:

The one on the Galaxy Nexus is barely noticeable. I accidentally put the regular battery door on while the extended battery was in, and the only difference was that one of the little latch/peg things didn't make it all the way in, so there was about a one inch section on side of the door that wasn't quite flush. Most cases and accessories seem to fit just fine either way.

My old Droid X was about twice as fat with the extended battery though.

The extended battery on the Nexus is, IIRC, only 400mAh better than the stock. Most extended batteries are 1.6x-2.0x the stock battery, and make the phone look like it's wearing a backpack.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

AT&T is not allowing FaceTime over cellular on grandfathered unlimited plans. And worse it's not even available for tiered users, you will have to get on their equivalent to Share Everything plans.

It's reasons like this major manufacturers (e.g. Google & Apple) and potential major manufacturers (e.g. Amazon) are increasingly giving the finger to wireless carriers.

I've worked for Verizon for over 4 years, and while they've made some tremendous progress in this aspect over that time (remember the Bluetooth OBEX scandal?), they still don't seem to grasp that what the technology world, and ultimately end users, really want them to be is the wireless equivalent of an ethernet jack. I'm truly hoping the Share Everything Plans are a sign of this finally coming to fruition, but only time will tell.

Remember how long it took for cable modem providers to accept the fact that you might own a router and that you might *gasp* have multiple devices plugged into that router without them being able to charge you extra? Yeah, this fight will take longer. (Although, hopefully not as long as it took Bell to allow subscribers to use 3rd-party phones on their system.)

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Jake Gittes posted:

I got the ICS OTA update on Saturday for my Droid 4, but since then my phone has been getting burning hot and having the battery drain in 90 minutes of sitting idle. I've seen a couple similar reports on XDA, but have any of y'all had any problems?

Fortunately Verizon is being cool and sending me a replacement, but I'm just curious what the hell happened.

Seconding Mighty Horse. My RAZR started acting like a POS immediately after the ICS update. A hard reset fixed it right up.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

Bam. It'll program and off you go. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've done. Hell that's how I activated my gnex moving from 3g - 4g. And reactivating non standard rom equipment works the same way.

Someone tell me I'm wrong. But that's what's worked here and all my ex att coworkers have said to do (most everyone's moved to big red)

*228 is for activating 3G devices. 4G LTE devices do not use the *228 OTA system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

sleepness posted:

Quick question, my google searches are not leading to any concrete answers. I'm thinking about switching from ATT to Verizon for the new iPhone to benefit from LTE in my area, but was curious if that if I am connected to LTE, could I do voice and data simultaneously?

Yes.

• Locked thread