Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

JayKay posted:

I'm 25 days in and I'm at 7GB of data on my Thunderbolt. I dont do much tethering and the majority of my use is streaming Phillies games on MLB at Bat. Most of my use is surfing.

Edit: Compared to my wife who uses her DX mostly for business emails, words with friends, and facebook, she only has used 700 MB

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Accidentally posted this in the Sprint thread.

Can someone quote me the official Verizon thing saying that tiered data will be in effect the 7th? Or can a Verizon rep on here confirm it?

The only thing I had read about it was that it was rumored. I'm not trying to start a war here or anything, but could this just be a stunt pulled by Verizon who then instates reasonable tiered data? I just want to see what official has been said or is known about it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Well I just checked and I only used like 250 megs in the last 28 days. How the heck? I tether nearly daily, surf a lot, I've downloaded ROMs straight from ROM Manager-- I'm baffled.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Nawid posted:

I need to get a cheap Android phone in the next two days. What is a good price to buy a Motorola Droid on Craigslist for? Is $100 reasonable?

Check out Swappa! https://www.swappa.com

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I would honestly take a phone the size of the original Incredible if it had good battery life and up-to-date specs.

To each his own :v:

Yeah-- I was gonna get a new phone. But rooted, JuiceDefender, CM7-- my Inc is amazing AND pocket sized.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Jhonas posted:

I'm in the same boat as Kalibar and I think it is a copout. It's one thing to say "my Android phone only gets 24 - 30 hours while my iPhone could sometimes get up to 2 or 3 days on average," and another thing to have an Android device that is lucky to make it 5 hours on a full charge with minimal use and be bitching about how horrible that is.

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks. Because guess what, that is just not an acceptable answer and that attitude is the reason terrible poo poo like this is allowed to happen. Please stop "just going with it." If it's bad, admit that it's bad. Don't just tell yourself it isn't an iPhone so you better just deal with it.

I am not expecting the best battery life in the game like I had with my iPhone 3GS. I am expecting my phone to last 16 hours or so, especially when I'm hardly ever waking the phone up, screen brightness is always manually set to the lowest setting, I haven't used any minutes, and the 4G radio is shut off. That has proven to be impossible. I have a phone I avoid using that still doesn't make it through a day without more charging.

This is my first Android phone and while it has been a laughably bad experience and I will be trading it in for something else, I am not going to give up on the platform entirely because I am very sure there exists a phone that meets my expectations.

Still can't believe they had the stones to name it the Droid Charge.

Get Juicedefender, gently caress with your autobrightness settings (turn down max screen brightness on auto, etc), don't stream videos or music, and bump charge it in the mornings. If you don't know what any of these are, google/xda will tell you much more than I can. Hope this helps.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The Verizon Wireless Megathread: We Want to Rip off Costco

or

The Verizon Wireless Megathread: swearing off all upgrades until every new phone is out forever

Can't you guys ever be satisfied with a device? Buy something, root it, and make it yours. Don't plan out your returns or your what ifs when mystery device x comes out. Jesus H.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

ukrainius maximus posted:

My Motorola Droid just gave up on living about two weeks ago so I've been without a phone since, going to head into work late so I can be at the store as soon as it opens to grab a Bionic, I'm actually excited like it's Christmas and I'm a 10 year old boy again. I love me my toys.

That is really exciting, seriously. I love that feeling :) POST A REVIEW

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
God SHUT UP about pentile screens. It makes 0 difference. Would you go for something that could be samsung fascinate-esque if it had a pretty screen? NO. Go for the good phone even if you can't get your nerd boner up over the slight lack in detail.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Ok, I apologize for spergin' out on the last page about the PenTile argument. I have an Inc and I can notice the PenTile poo poo, but only when it has no screen protector on. I have a Invisishield right now and it obscures it perfectly while transmitting the most color. I will say the verizon anti glare ones are a pissant.

What I was trying to comment on was-- in my opinion, since we have seen so many android platforms (esp Verizon) that have inherent software problems, I don't figure it would be much to ask to use a phone, like the Bionic, that has great software trading for a slightly less beautiful screen. I just raged when I typed it. Excuse me.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Question for Verizon employees:

How easy is it to get my upgrade moved up a month? I'm eligible for my new every 2 or whatever upgrade on January 11th. Can I get that moved up to December so I can buy myself a Nexus for Christmas?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Can I use the upgrade of another line on my plan to upgrade my phone? In this case, the primary line on my family plan (my mom) uses a dumb phone and doesn't want to upgrade, but has it several months earlier than the rest of the lines. Can I use it to get some sweet nexus action?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
http://phandroid.com/2011/12/05/gal..._medium=twitter

12/9 or bust

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

our update date is not until late Feb and I really want to like the gnex. If they actually get that update out officially I'll do double gnex in a heart beat.

FWIW I got one in the beginning of january and have zero issue with it. It's run flawlessly, no data issues, no dropped calls, and battery life comparable to the HTC Incredible I had before (one day medium usage). ICS is extremely polished and runs flawlessly.

Sure, I've flashed 4.0.4. It just makes it run even smoother with even better battery life.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

pbpancho posted:

I'm going to leave this for you without comment.

http://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

It's the Motorola ICS upgrade calendar.

Almost every relevant device (Razr, Razr MAXXXXXXX, Droid 3, 4, Bionic, whatever) says further evaluation to follow. poo poo means nothing.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Jake Gittes posted:

I think that's the point.

Oh, yeah....so buy a galaxy nexus!!!!!!!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes, what issues? Because I'm about to buy one off amazon.

No issues. See how he didn't list specifics? I'm not trying to troll, but if you have specific issues, list them. If your issue is "it's not an iphone," you shouldn't buy any android at all. I've had a GNEX since launch and it has been flawless. I ran it on stock software unrooted for one month, rooted for one month, and since a few weeks ago have tried about 3 different roms.

I came from a very reliable phone (HTC Droid Incredible) and the GNEX is on par with it as far as stability and surpasses it 4 fold as far as performance.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

traveling midget posted:

My GNex is out of the 14-day window but I want to throw it in the loving trash. I get little/no reception at work, where my cube neighbor gets 4G service with his Razr Maxx five feet away from me. It's fine everywhere else aside from the pretty lousy battery life.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve hundreds of dollars leaving my pocket?

(Sidenote: I bought three loving GNex's on a new Verizon contract; mine sucks, one is okay, and the other dies within 3-4 hours every day. gently caress this phone.)

Quick solutions that have worked for me-- use wifi at work. If you're willing to root it, there are new radios out that get better reception with less drops. If you're not willing to root, take it to where you bought it and try exchanging it. I would especially recommend it for your third phone that dies so quickly.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

traveling midget posted:

Wifi is banned at work (government). I'm on the 'hybrid' 4.0.4 radio that was put out a bit ago, it works best for me. Best still being no loving data in my office and 50% of my texts require multiple send attempts.

I'm outside the Amazon returns window, I bought it from them.

OH, you work government? That explains it. I have little to no signal in any governmental building. I'm forced to either set my phone in a window or use airplane mode and a landline. As you probably know, the radio searching for signal chews through battery like none other.

Does the phone show the same behavior outside work? Like now at home?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

traveling midget posted:

Nope, no problems at home or most of the time, it's just (i guess?) low-reception areas. And, like I mentioned, my cube neighbor has a Razr Maxx and gets 4G just fine.

Take your phone by his cube and try it out. He also may be lying to you out of GNex envy. That last one was a joke, but like Vertigus said, depending on which side of the building is facing a close cell tower, and based off of the reflection from other buildings, or attenuation caused by trees, he may be getting a clear beam of radio signal while you aren't.

With my Droid Incredible, I had to find a spot on my desk in every room or office in the class room building I was in that would receive signal. It was still never good enough to keep the battery from dying.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Nope I'm screwed. drat.

Buy a Moto X or roll the dice with a craigslist phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

CancerStick posted:

Is this part of that? I'm on a family plan. My phone is the one eligible for an upgrade and the only one with unlimited. The rest have 2gb caps. I called Verizon to transfer the upgrade to another line. I was then planning on using Moto maker to get a Moto X. Activating it on the 2gb line. Deactivating. Then transferring to mine. Figuring this would be simple I called and was told that i could upgrade on my line then transfer the phone to the other line. I said no, I don't want to restart the contract on my line. I just want to transfer the upgrade since I don't want to use it. She told me that I couldn't transfer the upgrade without restarting my contract...

Should I try another person later?

e: i also asked if I would lose my unlimited on this transfer and restarting my contract and she said yes

If what has been posted in this th read is true, the only way to get it is to use motomaker and not use the upgrade ie pay the $400. I can confirm that I just did this and it works, I still have my unlimited.

• Locked thread