Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Do any of you know whether I can keep my unlimited data if another member of my family plan gets a used smartphone (where they previously had no data plan)? If so, can I just swap out their phone on the website and agree to the new monthly charges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Unless something odd happens, the Nexus is going to be the phone developers buy, which means that it's going to stay current for longer than the Razr.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

FCC-07-132A1.pdf posted:

222. Scope of the requirement for open platforms for devices and applications.

Wireless service providers subject to this requirement will not be allowed to disable features or functionality in handsets where such action is not related to reasonable network management and protection, or compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.

And, earlier:

FCC-07-132A1.pdf posted:

Accordingly, consistent with the broadband principles set out above, we will require only C Block licensees to allow customers, device manufacturers, third-party application developers, and others to use or develop the devices and applications of their choosing in C Block networks, so long as they meet all applicable regulatory requirements and comply with reasonable conditions related to management of the wireless network (i.e., do not cause harm to the network).

So locking bootloaders on 4G devices is not allowed but, of course, Verizon is ignoring the requirements. And beyond the scope of the ruling, the idea that you can sell a computer which is permanently locked to a specific operating system the company provides is bizarre and I can't believe it's gone on as long as it has.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure what the obsession with preordering is. There hasn't been a Verizon phone since original Incredible that was in short supply and that was a legitimate production constraint.

I think in this case we're excited about the preorders going up because we'll have a fixed release date to look forward to. As of now it might come out 08 December, or it might come out in 2012, who knows? It'd be nice to have something concrete, and I think it's been worrisome that they haven't tied it down yet.

edit: vvvv at least it'd be something!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 30, 2011

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I have a Thunderbolt and while the battery life isn't great, it certainly isn't as bad as you're describing. It was abysmal on the stock 2.2 with the old radios (often it couldn't even hold a data connection), but with the most recent radios and a custom SENSE 3.0 ROM with most of SENSE stripped out, I can get through a day no problem with moderate usage. With good reception and no use, the battery seems to drain at about 5%/hour.

Anecdote: Yesterday I had it unplugged for eight hours. I watched thirty minutes of Youtube, an hour of Netflix, listened to podcasts for 1.5 hours, and looked at the forums and news articles for maybe an hour and when I got home to charge it I still had 23% remaining.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

kalibar posted:

Such an Extremely Nasty Smartphone Experience?

Well said, I really wish CM7 worked properly on the Thunderbolt.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Mark Larson posted:

What are the issues with CM7 on the Thunderbolt? I just got one that the previous owner installed CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1.7-Thunderbolt-KANG on. Should I install a different ROM?

Like others have said, data dropout is a big issue. GPS doesn't work either and the camera is super glitchy. I've been using Bamf Forever which, once you delete most of the SENSE components has been stable and quick. The only annoyance is that the camera app doesn't datestamp its filenames, instead going with IMG0001 or whatever.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
You don't need to partition the sdcard for nandroid, the images just go in a folder. So instead of /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup it'd be /home/usr/clockworkmod/backup or whatever. The only effective difference for end-users will be that their user space is nonremovable.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I remember seeing that before and I got my family plan $10/line + $30/mo unlimited just fine. I doubt that's changed.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
beats me

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

wandler20 posted:

When I add the phone to my upgrade online my plan details mentions nothing about data, only my $9.99 talk and text. Is this normal? I'm just being paranoid like everyone else about losing my unlimited data.

Edit: Current price shows $16.98 vs. my old price of $46.98. My corporate data costs $30. :ohdear:

Maybe I should just go in store and grab one, do you get the discounted price in store if you are under a corporate account?

On the order screen you have the option to chat with a Verizon person, and you have the option of e-mailing yourself the transcript of that conversation. I'd say just get them to say you won't lose your unlimited data in writing and you'll be fine.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I'd say the Thunderbolt has been an exception as well.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It drains fast when the screen's on, but I just came from a Thunderbolt so it's still awesome. I've also found that with the screen off and playing MP3s it barely uses any battery at all. Completely idle it seems like it would last a week or more, but maybe that's just battery reporting.

Today I'm at 36% after 9h10m, with 2h34m screen on time and 3h20m of mediaserver.

edit: The only thing I'd complain about is the camera. It's terrible.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Do you guys know if one can buy a prepaid phone (like from Amazon) and activate it on a normal line? I can't imagine there's anything different about them, unless Verizon is filtering ESNs or something. My parents need new dumbphones and I'd obviously rather pay $30 than the $120 Verizon is charging. I figure it must be too good to be true, somehow.

• Locked thread