Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Would an LG VX8700 require a data plan? Besides to use the internet/data, obviously.

It looks like a dumb phone but I want to make sure before I buy it on ebay for my family plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Rent posted:

Also, not to be too much of a troll, but why do people like HTC so much? Almost every single one of their phones has issues, and sometimes really big issues, but people continue to talk about the "amazing build quality and support" of HTC phones. I know every manufacturer has issues, but people seem to think HTC has none.
they made the best windows mobile phones, they were the standard that every other manufacturer aimed for

I always wished they would make a form factor that didnt suck (ie: vertical physical keyboard) so I could get one, instead I got samsung wm phones that are annoyingly unsupported in the modding community

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 3, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I have a question akin to the previous post.

All of the lines on my family plan are running month to month and 3 of them are smartphones. Do I need to sign contracts to keep my unlimited data?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Quick question... Is there no way to remove insurance from my plan on the website? It isn't listed in the change features section.
No, call 611.

I did it today, the girl was quite pleasant; though clueless about the data changes.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Yeah, Palm devices got shafted on GPS.

There is a hack that runs vznavigator before launching google maps, there seems to be no GPS without it.

Also, my Samsung Saga (lol windows mobile) hates GPS even though it was unlocked with a firmware update. While I blame this more on lovely old rear end technology, I merely expect Verizon to cockblock devices one way or another.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 23, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I can't afford to get off a family plan and start my own individual line.
You do not need to switch to an individual plan to get a smartphone, it would be 30 a month on top of what you have now. I have 3 smartphones on my family plan, I pay 90 bucks a month for 15 gigabytes of internet.

I cannot argue with you about the selection of phones, though. The only phone I want (that is available now or in the foreseeable/leaked/rumored future) is GSM only ... but ma bell would have to pay me for me to even think about using their horrible service.

edit: I miss the VIP deal they had going ... think I can get at least 1 of my 2 $35 activation charges from this past week reversed if I get someone awesome on the phone? I expect to have a heart attack when my next bill comes in, it will likely be ~400 bucks.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 27, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Waiting for specific features/a device that has not even been announced sucks.

I just want a Windows Phone with a loving physical keyboard. I would love a vertical keyboard, like a Dell Venue Pro, but I have simply given up hope.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

While Microsoft took months to get CDMA support, Verizon dragged their heels on releasing a single, solitary, lone, device. A google search points to ZTE doing something but it obviously has been delayed considering Nokia apparently will be first to market. Maybe Q1 but I am not holding my breath.

Verizon is merely too busy with iPhone and Android to even care about Windows Phone it seems.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Flyboy925 posted:

That's really depressing. I'm kinda over Android, given up on blackberry, and not interested in iPhone. But I do like what I'm seeing with Windows phone mango. Well, let's just see if someone surprises us.
I have a Windows Mobile device, it is showing it's age. Originally, I was waiting for a device with the same form factor as a Dell Venue Pro (vertical keyboard, slider preferred) that had 4G. Hell, a Verizon employee nearly laughed in my face when I said I wanted a WP device with a vertical keyboard; while trying to get me to switch my home phone line to Verizon, might I add.

At this point, I have very little faith in Verizon.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm currently on a Palm Pixi and my contract will be up within the next few months. I was wondering a couple of things. First off, I cannot for the life of me find how I am supposed to drop the insurance on the Pixi. Verizon lists it among the features, but give no helpful ways to remove or cancel it. Asurion's site is a mess, so I didn't see anything helpful there, either. Is this one of those things I will have to call Verizon to get done?
Sorry to hear, the Pixi is an absolute piece of poo poo. Yes, you have to call.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

NofrikinfuN posted:

Still, if I can remove insurance, I'll have a $25/m 5GB hotspot.
... not through the website. I have been meaning to call and see if I can add 5gb tethering to my device.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I bought an HTC 8X at full retail (month to month) price, I retained my unlimited data.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

MWC is next week, surely things will be announced...

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

So, my friends have all jumped onto sprint and their framily plan, some existing and some switching. One being someone on my family plan of pure unbridled grandfathered awesomeness.

I have the magical Talk & Text + Data plan, the one where the 30 dollar charge for unlimited is knocked down to :10bux: making each smartphone :20bux: plus ~5 in taxes.

Anyone know if I can activate a new line or even bring in an existing Verizon customer keeping my precious plan intact?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

He took the number with him so that line appears suspended on the site. I clicked through the motions to add a line, selecting the Nokia tablet and the family plan was shown as some 6gb thing.

Edit: maybe I will stop into Verizon and talk about it.
Edit 2: tinkering around with activate a device shows unlimited, now to find that extra sim I have laying around and activate it.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 4, 2014

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

it was 20 (maybe 25 or 30) for dumbphones and 50 for smartphones in the olden days

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

they called me for an "account review" and I cut them off and simply said "I have been a customer for 12 years and I am quite happy with what I have"

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I half expect I will be getting the word here shortly. I am sitting on a NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 1400 plan, a very rare plan (not offered to the general public effectively) that saved a shitload of money back in the day. Apparently, I used ~160gb in the last year with a peak of ~32gb.

Based on my calculations, I will pay ~60 less for 24gb(+2gb), ~35 less for 30gb(+2gb), or ~10 more for 40gb(+2gb).

:geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Do you use a hotspot, if so do you push more than 10gb over it? If yes, don't switch; that's my reason for not considering it.

I went to Spain and Germany last year, was about 2 weeks long. In Spain I used a monthly prepaid orange sim with like 3gb and in Germany I used vodafone (don't make that mistake, I wish I had tmobile) with like 2gb. I used offline maps, didn't stream any music, and only did heavy usage at the hotel on wifi so I didn't run into withdrawal from my grandfathered unlimited data plan; I left my laptop at the hotel so I didn't miss my hotspot.

• Locked thread