Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
What are they doing to keep the Bionic up to date? I haven't read anything about improvements, I'm really happy they are going that route though. Happy and surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

AppleCobbler posted:

What I really wish is that they kept the same form factor, but made the battery even bigger (bigger than 1930, yes) to enable us to enjoy using the phone for more than a day of moderate/heavy use.

This. I want to be able to use my phone and not worry about whether I'm going to have battery at the end of the day. I've pretty much stopped trying to get a full work day out of my phone at this point.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

As I recall, that was a temporary inventory shortage that cleared up within a couple weeks. I remember considering filing a claim for my OG Droid (had a bum headphone jack and some other issues at the time), but by the time I got around to it, they had gotten more of the D1 back in stock, and I didn't want to start playing the refurb roulette game.

Yea, I was going to take advantage of this too but at the time it seemed like it was pretty random whether you were one of the lucky ones to get a D2 or the unlucky ones to get a refurb OG Droid. My Droid had a couple of little issues but almost all of the reports I read online about refurb droids were complete and utter horror stories.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

who cares posted:

Does anyone have any predictions on when Verizon will stop offering unlimited data? All I've seen is "sometime this summer." I'm planning on starting with Verizon mid-June and don't want to miss the boat.

Any prediction anybody gives you now is a guess, the tech blogs have been claiming the end of unlimited data on Verizon for like two-ish years now I think.

Also jesus christ, saw a leak for the HTC Holiday today. Yet another awesome phone that doesn't look like it is going to come to Verizon. I'm so glad they decided to dick around for six months with LTE on last year's tech. I know they probably have more up their sleeve but right now I see a ton of (phone) reasons to be on every other carrier but Verizon (of course my contract is the only reason that really matters, and that is one good reason to stick with them till at least March).

Edit: Sorry for the sperg, it just irritates me seeing all of these awesome phones coming out (yes the Bionic is awesome, but there are many reasons to not want it) on other carriers when I moved over to Verizon because I wanted an awesome Android phone in the first place. Super happy with the service they've provided and the network has been rock solid but if I don't have a phone I enjoy to utilize that network what's the point.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 23, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dominator posted:

Less yay moto more boo everyone else

I tried for a few minutes to put this into words but couldn't, thank you.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
That's what I get for trusting that it would last a week (I was just going to wait till this evening!!), if it sounds to good to be true etc etc.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/all-clear-verizon-will-allow-unlocked-bootloaders-on-their-network/

Woot woot!! I had my doubts that Verizon would let unlocked boot loaders on their network, but sweet deal!! They will allow them!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Now all HTC needs to do is put out a LTE-enabled phone with a hardware keyboard and we'll be in business.

Well, I'll be in business, anyways. :shobon:

I would be too.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

This more accurately reflects what I want right now. If I could get something like that by mid summer, I would be so happy.

It's not going to happen though. I haven't heard of any new HTC phones coming on Verizon right now.

Yea, pretty much would be happy with an HTC phone with dual cores, 4.3 inch screen or above, qHD screen and an unlocked bootloader. The keyboard would be awesome but isn't necessary. If the Droid Bionic has an unlocked bootloader it would fit the bill nicely.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

On the subject of the Bionic, the general consensus right now is Tegra 2 is out and dual core OMAP (as found in the Droid 3) is in.

Very interesting, I thought the D3 was going to have a Tegra chugging along inside. I wonder if the Tegra wasn't playing nice with the LTE networks?? Seems like that might be the case.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The D3 was always supposed to be a dual core OMAP (I think possibly running at higher than 1ghz.)

From what's been talked about on Howardforums, the D3 is running CIRCLES around the Droid X2. So, the bionic should be better for the delay.

That sounds awesome, I think I suspected it was going to be dual core, I just assumed it was going to be the Tegra. I am going to be really interested to see how these other dual core CPUs compare to the Tegra in performance. Sounds like, at least compared to the OMAP, it might not do so well. Also awesome to hear about the upgrade in the Bionic, I know you had said a while ago that they were keeping it upgraded but I can't remember if there were any specific examples or not.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

This does not mean what you think it does, read the first article referenced in that blog. It's status quo. They're saying that if you unlock the bootloader on your phone (like rooting a Thunderbolt) you can still use it on their network. They are not asking manufacturers to unlock the bootloader, no longer requiring a locked bootloader, or anything close to that.

Yea, I never said any of that. Motorola said they would make their boot loaders unlockable unless the carrier required them to lock it down. There has been question as to whether Verizon would require them to lock it down, it doesn't look like they are going too. Unless I am misunderstanding what you said. Which is a possibility.

Edit: Maybe I didn't make myself clear in the original post. If I didn't, the above is what I meant. Unless, again, I am misunderstanding you or the Moto Tweet.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 28, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Well, at the end of the day, Verizon has to come out with a phone worth buying before we have to worry about whether or not the bootloader is locked.

Sigh :(

This is true. One day...one day.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Man, I've now read two reviews of the Droid X2 and neither one of them have been very good. The Androidpolice review was scathing, they hated the screen and the performance was sluggish. I think the other one was a CNet review or something and it wasn't as scathing but you could tell they weren't a fan. This is disappointing as the D3 was going to be a phone I was going to look at. Hopefully it is better than the X2.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

I don't get this fascination with hardware keyboards. Sure they are a convenient option but right now LTE phones are already so big a keyboard would just add too much bulk anyway. Plus you have to change the screen orientation anytime you have to type something? I don't get it. Soft keyboards are extremely simple to use and with swipe and other word recognition you can type much faster in my opinion.

I'm a big guy with big hands, even with a four inch screen I sometimes find typing difficult. I can type way faster on the Droids crappy little keyboard than I can on my Fascinate. What works for you might not work for others.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I really hope Verizon gets some Nexus phone lovin after the BGR report of the Nexus 4G.

It really sounds like a Bionic, running ICS, with a higher resolution screen, and no Moto bloatware.

I will throw a god drat giant temper tantrum if this doesn't come to Verizon. Seriously, on the floor of my local Verizon store screaming and flailing.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bambi posted:

Why does it have to be rooted to tether? I run PdaNet on my unrooted OG Droid without any issues that I know of.

Wireless tether requires root I think but I'm not super familiar with PdaNet.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I think it will be.

Really, just watch out for Droid 3 reviews right now. The Bionic is going to be using the same (or virtually same) SoC and it will be the same version of new blur. So far from what I've seen the initial impressions of the Droid 3 with new blur are really good. It's supposed to be very fast and minimally invasive.

So, if the Droid 3 ends up being good, the Bionic should as well since it's nearly the same phone, just minus the keyboard and plus the LTE radio.

That is awesome!

I'm pretty sure we are all in agreement that custom UIs are loving stupid, but at least Sammy and Moto seem to be making their UIs a little lighter as time goes on. Instead of, you know, bogging the phone down with a ton of poo poo no one wants.

Edit: I'm watching some of the Moto videos online and I'm liking some of the stuff I'm seeing in MotoBlur. There is some nice eye candy, the only problem is it will probably go away when you switch launchers...

which you will because the launcher only has four icons, one of them being the app drawer icon, and you can only change three of them.

Even though I'm not interested in purchasing the D3 I'm pretty excited to handle it and play with it. Loves me some physical keyboards.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 7, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dominator posted:

Also the keyboard is really really nice.

Man I miss a physical keyboard so much. Everyone kept telling me I would get used to it, and I guess I have gotten better at soft keyboards but man...even the OG Droid's horribly cramped keyboard was preferable to me over the best soft keyboard.

I'm glad it initially seems like a good phone, I hope it gets a little more press than the DX2 did but I doubt it will as it isn't the Bionic. I saw 0 commercials for the Droid X2 I think.

bull3964 posted:

Why are you even worried about it? You obviously already have data with verizon so the tiers don't affect you.

The principle maybe? I dunno, I would rather keep the unlimited data for when I get a sweet 4G phone instead of stand up to the man and make a statement. I'm a pretty big whore like that though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I want to say that a tech blog did a test and it's possible to blow through your monthly allotment in like 20 something minutes real world (of course it would be 20 something minutes of solid downloading).

poo poo is absolutely ridiculous.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

slackerbitch posted:

A question: are all Pentile screens the same? I was all set to grab the Droid 3. I've heard amazing things about the speed and pick-up, and my OG Droid is on its last legs. I've been waiting for this phone for months.

I stopped in at a Verizon store this weekend to look at the Droid X2s, just to see what the Pentile screens looked like in person, and was so disappointed. The colors looked flat and desaturated, and I could see the pixels without trying -- the Google logo on the web browser looked pixellated and jaggy.

Is it even worth looking at the Droid 3 when it comes out, or will its Pentile screen be the same?

And is there any other keyboard Android phone planning to come to Verizon? I've been due for an upgrade for two months, and haven't used it yet, because my options seemed to be the Droid 2 (I heard conflicting reports about MotoBlur and its battery life) or the Droid 3, and ... that's about it.

I'd rather stay with Verizon than switch, if nothing else than because I hated AT&T and I have family in rural areas, so I'm not sure how well Sprint's coverage would work*, but a physical keyboard is a must-have, and my Droid won't last much longer, so they're not making this easy on me.

(*I heard Sprint has great coverage in cities and isn't as great in the vast rural stretches; I could be way off on this, though.)

I think for most people they either notice Pentile or they don't. One review of the DX2 I read said the the screen made the phone almost unusable, another review called it one of the best screens on a handset today. Unfortunately as far as physical keyboards go the D3 is probably your only choice. I would think long and hard about how much I need that keyboard before giving up unlimited data (Verizon) data though*. Just me.

I'm pretty sure Sprint users can roam on the Verizon network, but I'm not sure. I still probably wouldn't give up the Verizon unlimited data though and I don't think Sprint has a decent phone coming out with a physical keyboard either.

*And believe me, I'm not one of those people that say "durrr just use a soft keyboard you'll get used to it." I have giant loving hands and I still haven't gotten used to the soft keyboard on my Fascinate. I would kill for a keyboard to be hiding under that screen. It's not a suggestion I make lightly but Verizon 4G speeds are ridic and 30 bucks for unlimited 4G is probably going to be pretty hard to beat soon (on a grown up carrier at least).

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 12, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Falco posted:

I use LauncherPro myself, so I'd be in the same boat. The only downside I've found from read is that Verizon is doing a pretty good job of blocking tethering software.

I thought they were just blocking them from the market?

You mean they are actively making the app not work correctly if you have root and have it installed?

Unless you're talking about the official 4g hotspot stuff, in that case disregard.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dyne posted:

I got a droid 3 today as an upgrade from my original droid. I'm a bit disappointed by the build quality of the phone; the original feels a lot more heavy duty. The new one feels pretty plastic-y. The screen on the original droid is better, too. The droid 3 is a heck of a lot faster than my rooted droid, though, and the keyboard is great.

How is the screen on the Droid better out of curiosity? Is it that dang pentile display?

Also disappointed about the build quality.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I wouldn't say it's a copout response that Android phones in general are on the low end of battery life. I can only offer one other data point here but my old Nexus One was not all that better in terms of battery than my Thunderbolt is now. With both of them, I need to keep the phone plugged in at work if I plan on going out later that night, or else it'll be close to dead by 10 or 11pm. And I am really not that heavy a user, except for streaming music a lot.

It isn't a cop out at all. His anecdotal evidence doesn't change the fact that Android phones are not known for their battery life.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Jhonas posted:

I'm in the same boat as Kalibar and I think it is a copout. It's one thing to say "my Android phone only gets 24 - 30 hours while my iPhone could sometimes get up to 2 or 3 days on average," and another thing to have an Android device that is lucky to make it 5 hours on a full charge with minimal use and be bitching about how horrible that is.

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks. Because guess what, that is just not an acceptable answer and that attitude is the reason terrible poo poo like this is allowed to happen. Please stop "just going with it." If it's bad, admit that it's bad. Don't just tell yourself it isn't an iPhone so you better just deal with it.

I am not expecting the best battery life in the game like I had with my iPhone 3GS. I am expecting my phone to last 16 hours or so, especially when I'm hardly ever waking the phone up, screen brightness is always manually set to the lowest setting, I haven't used any minutes, and the 4G radio is shut off. That has proven to be impossible. I have a phone I avoid using that still doesn't make it through a day without more charging.

This is my first Android phone and while it has been a laughably bad experience and I will be trading it in for something else, I am not going to give up on the platform entirely because I am very sure there exists a phone that meets my expectations.

Still can't believe they had the stones to name it the Droid Charge.

My usage dictates I need to keep a second battery on hand. I've never gotten the advertised times out of my Android phone. Do you know what I did instead of crying on a forum about how you idiots let them do this? I bought another battery for six bucks and went on with my day. If you don't like it by another loving smartphone but the reality is Android smartphones don't get the best battery life and it can vary greatly depending on a lot of stuff.

Now, if you think your Charge is not getting enough battery life TAKE IT BACK. Get a replacement and try that. But no matter who you call names or how much you bitch it isn't going to change reality.

BATTERY LIFE ON ANDROID PHONES SUCKS WE HAVE ADMITTED IT. You then called it a cop out.

Edit: I guess my point is that I don't know what you want us to do other than tell you that the battery life of Android phones sucks. For some it's obviously not a deal breaker and still others get perfectly adequate battery life. It all depends on your usage habits. You might need to check out the iPhone, which gets pretty great battery life I think. But getting pissy when people give you the answer you didn't want is pretty stupid.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 17, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Get Juicedefender, gently caress with your autobrightness settings (turn down max screen brightness on auto, etc), don't stream videos or music, and bump charge it in the mornings. If you don't know what any of these are, google/xda will tell you much more than I can. Hope this helps.

I get the impression he doesn't want help. He just wants us all to admit that we are horrible people for supporting these manufacturers and their awful batteries.

Also making sure there aren't any rouge apps eating your battery. Check your sync times. A lot of apps will default to updating like three times an hour. Also try not to obsess over your battery, it sounds dumb but when I was constantly thinking about my battery I was checking it every two seconds, thus running the battery down even faster.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Not to mention the charge is a bastard child of last year's tech and this year's power hungry LTE antenna.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Hey, Verizon is getting the Epic!

A few more details on Verizon's Samsung SCH-i405 slider

Note, those are the exact same specs as the Epic s/WiMAX/LTE/ and releasing with Android 2.3.4. It may also have SAMOLED+ and a bigger battery.

2010 Codiusprime is giddy. I always thought the Epic was the most interesting variation.

Keep the hits coming Verizon, last year's crowd is really impressed with your phone lineup.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's scary to think it might be marginally popular as the only LTE hardware keyboard device until the Droid 4 or whatever.

drat you Blarg! Always saying things that make sense.

That's scary to me as I love hardware keyboards and know if I was less knowledgeable of phones I could probably be easily talked into it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Why can't someone, ANYONE make a freaking LTE phone with physical keyboard and better specs than my freaking Droid 2 Global? :(

We are a dying breed my friend :(

All we can do is stick together and remember better times.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes because Verizon doesn't have the Droid 3 and Droid X2 with dual core and the upcoming Bionic :jerkbag:

EDIT drat chocolateTHUNDER you make it difficult to be a douche.

I just think the HTC offerings on other networks are stronger.

drat you Verizon, why does your LTE network have to own so drat hard. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for an upgrade they'll have something that interest me. Me being the keyword.

Edit: And now they've trapped me! I'm not giving up my unlimited plan till they pry it from my greedy little claws.

Edit x2: I'll even give you the Bionic. I think it's going to be a great phone but I don't think MotoNinjaBlur is going to end up being as good as Sense 3.0. Again, all opinion.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 18, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Lol no im not :) I see where some people would prefer sense over motoblur, I personally happen to like the build quality of motorola's android offerings.

Sorry for biting your head off, uncalled for.

I really like the 3D and the Sensation. I know Verizon will get something similar down the line, just bitter. I really like the looks of the Bionic and I hope Moto starts unlocking their bootloaders soon. Then their custom UI hopefully won't matter.

So. Verizon buddies. Who else is tossing and turning at night hoping the ICS Nexus heads our way. Please oh please.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Cozmosis posted:

Lets not go crazy here, almost any 3G phone on Verizon is going to make it through a day. And the Bionic is not a 4.5" phone, it is 4.3". I'd rather have a 4 or 4.3" phone with SAMOLED+ or qHD then a 3.5 tiny thing with an abstract high resolution. Text is gorgeous on these screens - the iPhone's pixel density is overkill at the cost of screen size. If you can get both, you obviously take it, but the user experience is SO much better at a bigger size. Hell, I would have considered staying with an iOS platform if they were at least 4".

My buddy just picked up an iPhone (same guy that had all the trouble with the Incredible) and it just looks so tiny. Even compared to his Inc it seems like he is always pecking and squinting. I don't think I could go any smaller than 4 inches at this point.

That being said 4.5 sounds like the perfect size for me.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

So it looks like it's official policy now for Tier2 support to offer you a different phone if you're experiencing missed calls/VMs with no ring on your Fascinate.

I've been seeing this randomly, so I went ahead and took advantage of it. My Charge will be here on Monday.

Since I spend most of my time between the Ann Arbor and Flint areas, it will be nice, since LTE is turned on (speed tests run between 10-22Mbit from what I've seen) in both.

The options on offer are: Charge, Incredible2, and X2.

Edit: If you're thinking of doing this, do it quickly. Samsung has promised a fix at the end of this month, and if they DO manage to get it out the door (yeah, right. I've heard the "We've got an update coming soon that will fix this" line before), then the offer will be pulled (until it's shown that the problem still persists).

I can't decide whether to do this.

Also I doubt I'm even eligible as I bought my phone off of ebay.

It might be worth a try though as I've actually had the missed call issue a few times. What exactly do you have to say.

Edit: well, got the ball rolling. Called tech support and she had me update my antenna stuff and gave me a number to call if it didn't work, tier 2 I assume.

It's hard for me to pass up dual core but the Incredible 2 seems to have a nice development community good. X2 or Inc2 what do y'all think? If it's even possible.

This decision would be so much easier if I didn't just get my Fascinate to my complete liking.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 22, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

jfreder posted:

Droid-Life tweeted yesterday that 2nd-init was coming soon for the X2 which would enable CM7/MIUI on it. I am not really aware of the state of things for the Inc2 but you say the development community is decent. Personally I'd get an X2 but that's because I'm pretty happy with my X (even though I can't run CM7 because the froyo kernel causes me to have constant reboots) plus dual core and I've gotten used to a 4.3" screen.

Called up and talked to the nicest guy. My X2 should be here Monday. I'm super excited and my fiance is super bitter, she is still using her OG Droid waiting on her X to get fixed.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

No FFC and locked bootloader immediately put the X2 out of the running. I like the DInc2, and was actually set on getting it, but as soon as I saw the non-pentile SAMOLED+ on the Charge my brain melted and I knew there was only one decision that could possibly have been made.

They didn't actually offer me a Charge, I wasn't going to push it though. The guy I was talking to was really knowledgeable though so I just played dumb. Plus he offered it to me first thing. I hate Samsung less, he made it sound like I had them to thank for my new phone.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

jfreder posted:

I have no use for a front facing camera so that wasn't real important to me. For what it's worth, Droid-Life has now said that the X2 has full 2nd-Init support.

gently caress. Yes.

This rules and makes me pretty happy with my Choice. Yea FFC is of little use to me right now.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Oh snap!

My Droid X2 shipped. It's two day shipping but tonight I'm going to dream about it getting here tomorrow. It's only coming from Dallas :) (I'm in Houston)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ReptilePicasso posted:

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and did this too. I also got the charge, but I'm considering trading it for an Iphone, would this be a good idea, considering the fact I just want a smaller phone with more battery life?

What do you mean trade it for an iPhone? Like take it back to a Verizon store? Or were you offered an iPhone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ReptilePicasso posted:

Well, I'm trying to find one at the moment. It's a replacement so I wouldn't be able to take it back to the Verizon store.

Also, if it matters, I'm due for an update this December, so I think I would be satisfied with the Droid Charge or the Iphone, as long as it lasts until then.

Gotcha, you basically had the same thought I did then (minus the iPhone). Yea, getting the X2 probably won't affect when I upgrade.

• Locked thread