Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I love how you say that last part and completely ignore all the CDMA Samsung poo poo. Pretty adorable how short your memory is. But keep telling us how awesome Samsung is, as they are just now replacing Fascinates (with completely different phones) because of a massive bug that they've known about for months.

I'm not saying the SGSII is going to suck, but they haven't proven to us that they can make a phone for CDMA any more than Motorola has proven that they are going to unlock their bootloaders. So really I don't see why you're rushing to their defense. I hope the SGSII comes to Verizon in a reasonable time and not hosed up but anyone assuming it will has a laughably short memory.

Edit: Disclaimer, I friggan love my Fascinate right now but that's only because of the hardwork of a few devs. Hopefully the SGSII is as awesome from the time it's released.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

What are the odds that the new Nexus phone comes to Verizon?

The rumors say LTE so my heart says good but my brain says HA.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I don't think it's an unreasonable request to have a phone last a work day without having to gimp its capabilities. Is why I opt for an extra battery instead of solutions like Juice Defender.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Well, I guess I get to eat crow.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/verizon-support-claims-galaxy-s-ii-will-have-4g-lte/

If this launches before the bionic and isn't a slider model, I may have some hard choices to make.

Holy poo poo!

Did anyone see this coming?

Atrix is confirmed to have the pentile display, as expected.

Interesting rumor of an HTC phone packing 1.5 GHz of dual core goodness along with a 720p screen is tantalizing.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That HTC product may very well be some sort of a tablet though, it's hard to say.

I still don't know if I can trust Samsung enough to buy one of their phones and the lack of a notification LED would drive me up the wall.

That's very true, didn't think about that.

Yea, depending on what Moto does in terms of their bootloader policy I'll probably go with either Moto or HTC for my upgrade. Maybe check out the SGSIII if the SGSII turns out to be better supported than the US variants of the Galaxy S.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Haha, Verizon tweeted today that 2.3 is going to start rolling out for the X2 today. After yesterday I don't know if I'll believe their twitter again.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Disregard.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Do you guys think I could take my X2 into the Verizon store and get a replacement? These screen redraws are loving ridiculous and constant. Pretty much any app I exit out of that I've been using for more than 30 seconds causes a complete redraw. It is absolutely ridiculous that I am getting worse/more redraws on my two month old dual core phone than I was with a similar screen setup on my OG Droid.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wouldn't hurt i guess. I mean I can't tell you the last time i've seen a screen re-draw on my X2, so maybe your device is hosed up or something.

It's killing man. I've tried every launcher with so success. I even used Motorola's stock launcher for a while. Will it be a problem if I roll in there running Gingerbread I wonder?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just tell them you got the update normally if they ask. There supposedly pushing it out this week anyway.

Cool.

Out of curiosity, what launcher are you running? It seems ADW is horrible for me for some reason. By far the worst redraws.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Stock everything.

Alright, interesting.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to cut down on the number of screens when using the stock launcher? Also can I put more than four shortcuts at the bottom? I've messed around with it trying to figure these two things out with no luck.

I don't think I should have to use the stock launcher to keep from having redraws but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think so. I have no problem with only having 4 icons on the bottom, but being able to cut down the number of homescreens would be a nice option to have.

Yea, there are a few key features that I require a launcher to have, the ability to change the number of screens is one of them. I'm going to head into Verizon after work and see what they can do, hopefully they just throw a new X2 my way instead of dicking around with everything I've already tried.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Boosh.

Walked in to the Verizon store, waited for like 20 minutes, told the guy my problem and what I had tried to fix it. Basically I had done what they would have done so he just ordered me a replacement. Pretty excited.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

So, uh, it looks like the Bionic may have competition near its launch date.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/01/droid-bionic-htc-vigor-and-new-lg-revolution-land-on-verizons-map-list/

Of particular interest is the HTC Vigor. That appears to be the one phone to rule them all. There's no way to tell exactly when they are going to come out, but it shouldn't be that far from each other.

drat, the Vigor was the device we heard rumors about like a week ago. So it is definitely a phone I guess? Those are some crazy loving specs, seems Moto may have waited just a tad to long to get the Bionic out, I was afraid of that.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

jfreder posted:

Is it supposed to be 4G capable?

It would be completely and utterly loving retarded if it wasn't.

This might be the phone I pick up in November as I am confident that Verizon will not get the Nexus 3.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Got my replacement X2 today, it runs much better than my last X2 and I'm noticing none of the redraw issues I had before. I went ahead and let it OTA update, I'm going to try it for a while completely stock. We'll see how that goes.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Nothing is going to beat Moto to market as a dual core LTE device, but there's likely to be several to launch in the month of September.

Moto has garnered a lot of negative sentiment over the delays of this phone, delays of the Xoom LTE upgrade, locked bootloaders, and pentile screens. Many who would have jumped on the Bionic last month have resigned to wait to see if HTC or Samsung delivers on something more compelling since they are waiting anyways.

I'm not sure battery life is such a barrier to entry for someone who was thinking about buying the Bionic since I think it's pretty much accepted at all LTE phones are going to suck down the power.

I know that my excitement over the Bionic has gotten lower as the months have passed. I was definitely going to pick it up when I was ready for an upgrade but I just don't know anymore. With the talk of that HTC and the possibility of the Nexus 3 the specs all of a sudden blow my mind a lot less.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I don't think I can bring myself to buy the Bionic with the Vigor coming out so soon after it (unless it doesn't live up to the rumors.) Hopefully more info about the Vigor will surface before the Bionic goes on sale.

Exactly, with the Vigor, (possibly) Nexus 3 and the iPhone 5 coming out so soon, the Bionic all of a sudden doesn't seem so spectacular. I realize that they were probably holding it back because of the 4G but they've held it back now to the point where it isn't going to dominate nearly as much as it could have. I'm not even interested in the Bionic at this point, with the pentile display (I like my X2 display fine, but if I can have one without it I will take it), the webtop crap possibly eating up RAM and the rumors swirling around Verizon's winter road map the Bionic seems pretty meh.

Really hope we get some more information about the Vigor, with my Nov. upgrade coming up it seems like it might be perfect.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

This turned out to be a false rumor about webtop. It doesn't consume ram when it's not docked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11564502&postcount=10

That's good to know as I heard that question brought up quite a bit. Thanks.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Nevermind, I should learn to read.

How bout that Verizon.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That's not the point. He already said he wanted an entry level smartphone but was only focusing on the ones that are free right now. Service cost is the same whether you get a free smartphone or the most expensive smartphone. So, if you were already prepared to pay the extra $30 a month for the free smartphone, wait a month or two and put that $30 a month you would have been spending towards a better device.

Edit:

ha HA, I was too fast for your edit.

In other news, the Bionic is showing up in ads.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/10/droid-bionic-ads-start-popping-up-at-citi-field/

Sigh :( You were, drat smartphone.

Has anyone even said anything official about the Bionic yet? I think the best way to sell people a product is to push its release date back repeatedly then not say anything about it at all.

Edit: To quote Bull as this post is not directly under his.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 10, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Probably why he asked.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Well then. That pretty much confirms I will be buying the Bionic.

Yea, you guys know I had pretty much written off the Bionic but this complicates things immensely. Man, that's is awesome though. It's going to rule having a manufacturer put out hopefully stock Android phones.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Endor posted:

I can see this applying to future phones, but how does this affect production a phone that's basically ready to ship? Or are people expecting Google's ownership to dramatically affect the future upgrade support of the Bionic?

Mainly I'm thinking of the possibility of an unlocked bootloader and future updates. All speculation though. I'll probably still end up with a vigor though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Seriously people, for fucks sake, never, ever listen to a Verizon rep. I'm sorry to the Verizon reps in this thread, I'm sure you guys are great, but I've had Verizon reps flat out lie (like it seems they did with you) to me to try and sell me a phone. They don't know poo poo. They don't have some special connections. They are a salesman and that's the bottom line. You let them cheat you man, luckily you can take it back and tell them to shove it.

If you don't believe me, go in to your local Verizon store and ask the first rep you see if you should have ATK on your Android phone. Just do it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

jfreder posted:

Most of the time I go into the Verizon corporate store around here asking about a phone, they tell me things I know to be incorrect. This isn't just Verizon though, try any place selling new tech and you'll find the same thing. Google is your friend.

It is funny to think that he tried to sell you on the fact that a phone that debuted at CES this year wouldn't be coming out until after next year's CES.

This is so true, I shouldn't have really picked on Verizon. I've pretty much stopped asking sales reps anything when I go into an electronics store (rarely do anymore, hallo newegg).

It took me forever to convince my fiance that she didn't need a talk killer, the Verizon rep told us that our phones would run slow if we didn't have it and that it was the most important app for us to have and blah blah blah. Never again.

More recently, I went in to the Verizon store to see if I could get them to replace my Fiance's busted Droid X that she bought off of ebay. Not only did the manager, the manager, flat out tell us that neither Verizon or Motorola would honor any warranty and that she was screwed, but she made sure to tell us about the awesome buy one get one free deal they had going on for X2's. Aw, thanks :allears:

Edit: Clarification, the phone worked when she bought it. She dropped it in water and the sensor wasn't tripped so we were trying to see if we could pull a fast one. The manager told us that because it was bought on ebay there was nothing that either Verizon or Moto would/could do. Both were lies as Verizon replaced my used Fascinate and Motorola was going to replace her Droid X until they spotted water spots.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 18, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

kstatix posted:

Actually, she wasn't lying. When you buy a phone from someone else, the warranty doesn't follow you. Sometimes, exceptions can be made but it's policy. The warranty follows the account number, so even IF you buy a phone from Verizon and decide to, for example, change the account over to your girlfriend's name, technically, you've lost your warranty. That's one of the key things reps include in their "Clear Customer Disclosure" when performing an assumption of liability. If you come to me and told me you bought a phone off ebay and want it replaced under warranty I would laugh at you.

Tell that to the Motorola person that explicitly told me the warranty follows the phone. I don't know who was right. All I know is that Motorola took the phone back and so did Verizon (granted that was a special circumstance I'm sure). So right now in my book, she is wrong on at least one thing.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's up with this?

I can understand a sales clerk bullshitting to make a sale, but it seems like even bringing up ATK with a customer (whether actually necessary or not) is just going to confuse them and make them uncertain about a purchase. Unless the goal is to push them over to an iPhone.

Also, yeah, everyone knows ATK isn't necessary, but 3G Supercharger Mega is!

Yea, this was after we had bought the phones. She installed the app for us, didn't really even give us a choice.

Editx2: I'll give her the Verizon one, as that was Samsung's doing. Motorola flat out told me the opposite though so I'm going to go ahead and believe what they said about their policies.

Editx3: and reps only know what their bosses tell them. I didn't expect Verizon to cover my phone as they didn't sell it to me.

Editx4: I feel like im getting less clear. I didn't expect either Verizon or Motor to cover a used phone. I called Motorola before I went into the store and they told me they would honor the warranty. Then I went to Verizon to see if they covered it just for the heck of it and she told me that not only would Verizon not cover it but Motorola wouldn't either. I was very surprised that Motorola was going to help us out.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 18, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Just read an article talking about a Samsung Prime being tested by Verizon. It would be just like Verizon to gently caress with a nexus device to the point where it isn't even a Nexus device anymore. Hopefully I'm being stupid and paranoidand and that's just what their calling the next Nexus.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well, I guess now there is a leaked Samsung road map that has what is supposed to be the Nexus coming out in December (or a phone with almost identical specs, which wouldn't be unheard of I guess, Nexus One and Incredible).

All I know is that I'm happy with my phone right now and the next phone I get will have a 720p screen, 1 gig of ram and run on LTE. It seems the Nexus or the Vigor will be the first to fill all of those roles.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Performance in general as well.

There's been comments from testers that they couldn't see themselves ever going back to any of the three single core LTE phones after using the bionic. The overall general performance difference is too great.

This is really awesome!! I'm really happy to hear this, the Bionic has been so long in coming that if it turns out to be anything but ballin there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. I carry extra batteries around with me everywhere I go anyways so battery life isn't a huge thing for me, then I've never had to try and work with a Thunderbolt before too.

Very excited to see what comes out this fall/winter. Good time to be a fan of Android or mobile tech in general.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Ghosting is the biggest issue I have with my screen, it is really bad. I can see the pixels only under certain circumstances and not often enough to bother me, though I can definitely see how it could bother someone. I feel like that article is overly harsh though, just me.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

Auuauagh.

I got my phone stolen and ended up using an upgrade for the replacement. I wanted to hold off till October for the Nexus Prime but now I've got a Droid X2. It's not a bad phone, a non-amazing step up from an original X, but... ugh. Guess I'll use the other upgrade on my family plan for the Prime??

You could try selling that then making up the difference, would save you from having to use an upgrade.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Either an iPhone or a Droid X2. They both get fantastic battery life (something you have to watch out for with android phones, some have good battery life some don't).

An iPhone is easier to use from a pure "Newbie" user experience standpoint but Android allows you to do more things in terms of customization. Android (Droid X2) also has free GPS navigation, though you have to have cellular data service for it to work properly if you go of-course and cause it to recalculate.

Both are very capable music players. My iPod just broke actually so I've been using the Google Music beta+ my Droid X2 to listen to music. The Droid sounds really good, so no worries on sound quality there.

As far as apps, they both have them. Not an issue.

So yeah, either one of those two are fine. Just go to the store and play around with both to see which one you like better :)

Listen to this guy, though I would recommend a D3 over the X2 as I have (for some odd reason) pretty much had the exact opposite experience with my Droid X2. If you don't mind waiting a bit (like a month or so) there will probably be some nice newer phones coming out. iPhone 5 will rule I'm sure, Droid Bionic is shaping up to be a really nice phone. Then there are the rumors, the Nexus Prime and the HTC Vigor stand out to me.

Basically if I had an upgrade waiting, I would either make my phone work for a couple more months (sometimes not possible) or buy a used one on ebay and save my upgrade. Bottom line though, best way to find out which OS is best for you is to just go play with the phones. Take some hand sanitize stuff and just fondle the poo poo out of them. You might find that you loving love TouhWiz and can't imagine yourself using a phone without it (doubtful, but yea).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

I bought a Palm Pixi on Amazon to lock in unlimited data before the tiers started. WebOS is surprisingly neat and easy to use, but the Pixi itself can be slow. I'll have one card open and it will tell me I have too many. I definitely restart this phone more often than my last. I'm waiting to see what the iPhone specs are before jumping in and using that subsidy.

At that price, I am thinking of picking one up just as an extra phone. I had a scare on Monday where I was positive my X2's screen had cracked, I got lucky. With my fiance using my old phone as her primary phone we need an extra one.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
No SGS2 for the Verizon it looks like.

Meh, as long as we get the Nexus I'm OK with it. As the months went on I was less and less impressed. If Verizon doesn't get the Nexus....

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
www.androidpolice.com/2011/08/25/verizon-will-not-be-getting-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-make-ready-the-pitchforks-and-torches/

I'm sure it's firmly in rumor territory at this point but there it is. I don't usually frequent Android Police as I think their site looks like vomit but today I was way, way bored.

Edit: Also the two articles I've read are really vague, sounds like we might get a sliding qwerty similar to the Epic. I don't know if that means we will get a phone with similar specs to the Epic or that it will be a pretty radical redesign of the SGSII like the Epic was of the SGS.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 25, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Looks like the majority of that time was on 3G, impressive still though.

Though saying that it beat the Thunderbolt really isn't saying much.

Edit: Ah, obliterate. Yea that works.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Professorbx posted:

New princess? Are we talking Bionic or iPhone?

Probably the Nexus Prime.

Not very surprised honestly, disappointed but not surprised. October always seemed optimistic despite the iPhone stuff.

Edit: Beaten like the iPhone will beat the nexus prime to market.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Scipiotik posted:

I really don't care if it takes that long to come out, just hopefully by October we'll have some sense on which carriers it'll be on and some actual specs.

Samesies.

My upgrade doesn't even happen till November so that's a little better for me anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Remember that time I was all "lol wouldn't it be funny if Verizon hosed around with the Nexus Prime until it wasn't a Nexus device anymore?"

phandroid.com/2011/08/29/report-samsung-droid-prime-coming-to-verizon-in-october/

May not have been to far off. Going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out. I will be very disappointed of we do t get yet another Nexus device. Though not surprised. Got my eye on you Samsung.

• Locked thread