Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

BIG news. It shows you the commitment Verizon has to LTE and how fast things are going to move.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/20/verizon-looks-to-end-3g-service-go-all-4g-lte-by-2013/

Now if only they'd get an LTE handset with a keyboard.

Why oh why isn't the Droid 3 LTE? :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dominator posted:

:ssh: It might be, it does have a SIM slot

I will literally drop huge stacks of cash at a Verizon store the second it comes out if it does.

vvv STOP SPOILING MY FAINT HOPES

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 25, 2011

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/all-clear-verizon-will-allow-unlocked-bootloaders-on-their-network/

Woot woot!! I had my doubts that Verizon would let unlocked boot loaders on their network, but sweet deal!! They will allow them!

Now all HTC needs to do is put out a LTE-enabled phone with a hardware keyboard and we'll be in business.

Well, I'll be in business, anyways. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So here's a question - how long can I sit on my early-upgrade and final New Every Two discounts before they are lost to me? Can I extend my contract without buying a new phone and still retain them? Because I really don't want to blow them on, say, a Droid 3, but I'd rather buy a Droid 3 than lose them altogether while vainly waiting for a good (read: one with a hardware keyboard) LTE phone. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't understand why you'd want to extend a contract without buying a subsidized phone.

I wasn't sure if they did month-to-month plans that'd let me keep the features I currently have, so. :shobon:

Thanks for the answers, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

I don't get this fascination with hardware keyboards. Sure they are a convenient option but right now LTE phones are already so big a keyboard would just add too much bulk anyway.

I would have no problem with something about the size of, say, the Droid 2 Global. It's not that big at all.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Plus you have to change the screen orientation anytime you have to type something? I don't get it. Soft keyboards are extremely simple to use and with swipe and other word recognition you can type much faster in my opinion.

So what if I have to change the orientation? And Swype is stupid, I can't stand that garbage (and trust me, I've tried - I forced myself to go without my hard keyboard for a week and loathed it). I also don't like how I lose a good half (portrait) to three-quarters (landscape) of my screen to the drat keyboard, either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rent posted:

Great windows phones? I don't know about Verizon phones, but the Mogul, TP, and TP2 had an unbelievable amount of issues.

Eh? I had a TP2 from about the time they came out to about a month ago and never had issues with mine.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

More bionic info.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06/more-droid-bionic-pictures-surface-4-5-qhd-screen-new-3d-blur-and-android-2-3-4/#more-35622

And now I'm unsure. 4.5" is just a tad too large for me. If that's the Atrix that it's next to, this phone is going to be massive.

It has the same sort of bottom bevel that the Droid 1/2/2G have.

Please oh please let that mean it has a keyboard... :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Can someone with one of those pentile screens answer me one question? How actually noticeable IS it if you aren't zoomed in at like 25x with a loving macro camera? Every article that makes a big deal out of it is zoomed in at ridiculous zooms with macro lenses and crap - as long as it's not immediately visible when, say, playing PvZ or something, I really don't see it as a problem. (Maybe I'm just weird/blind, though.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

Well since I don't do it, if you're doing it, clearly it's torrents/illegal poo poo/etc.! :goonsay:

This argument is retarded.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Ok, here's some stats for you.

I monitored a 22 minute episode of Arrested Development from netflix over 3G. I did it at my house because I pretty much get ideal EVDO speeds here to make sure netflix isn't scaling back the quality.

That 22 minute episode took 51mb. That doesn't sound like a lot right?

One hour of streaming would take approximately 140mb. 2gb (so allowing for not other data use) would mean 14 hours of streaming.

Wow, that sounds like a lot. But remember this is per month. To put this in perspective, if you just watched an hour long episode of something on your lunch break at work, you would only make it through 14 business days. That's also with no other network use.

So, that's utter crap. You can't tell me that streaming 1 hour of video a day could be considered "heavy" use for phones with 4.3 inch screens, kickstands, and 20mpbs internet connections.

Well it's not like they make 10 billion annual profits or anything. Oh wait.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That would be nice, especially since there are no attractive phones coming out for the foreseeable future. (Droid 3 lacks LTE, Bionic lacks a keyboard)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

kstatix posted:

If you activate your own 4G equipment before the data plan changes it should work. There's a single feature added to phone plans to distinguish 3G devices from 4G devices which would trigger a plan change.

Meaning that if you want both LTE and to retain unlimited data, you need to upgrade by the 7th?

What a pile of poo poo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It's entirely unfair, and pussy-footing around that and being apologistic about it is why they think they can get away with it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Quite being apologetic to Verizon. This is a money grab plain and simple.

A money grab by a company already making 10 billion in profit annually, mind.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The 3G -> 4G question is still ambiguous, but the language of what's written there implies that it should be grandfathered in as they do not call out this specifically as an exclusion.

"Existing customers can keep their current pricing when renewing or upgrading."

Thank christ. Now I can get back to waiting for a phone that is what I want.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Endor posted:

I understand how it's annoying for the power users to be forced to upgrade to an $80/month plan when they were used to paying $30, but I guess that's just the trend these days -- you pay for what you use.

I'm already paying for what I use. That's the point. I'm now having what I'm paying for what I use jacked up by a factor of three almost for no reason whatsoever AND getting less for it. (30/unlimited vs 80/10GB).

It's literally indefensible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Its stupid though...if like they claim 90% of users use less than 2GB, why do this in the first place? There aren't any issues with capacity anywhere..

Apparently they are not satisfied with :10bux: * 1 billion per year profit

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Is there anyway to check online (like at verizonwireless.com) my monthly data usage history? I can only seem to see the current month's activity.

My Bill -> Charge Details, it'll be down near the bottom.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I'm just hoping Moto has another OG droid on their hands when the Bionic comes out.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for a Droid 4 with LTE, a good keyboard like the D2G, and stock Android (either Gingerbread or ICS if it's out by then).

I can dream, can't I? :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hamburglar posted:

Ha, you had to see my disturbing list of requirements:

4g/LTE
World phone
Physical keyboard
SAMOLED screen
Rootable

I would have probably died waiting.

I'm 3/5 on that list (don't care about the world phone aspect and really am not fussed about the screen so much), so... :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bambi posted:

Awesome - thanks!

One thing I've yet to see confirmed is how much memory the D3 will have.

Everything I've heard says 512MB.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

sadus posted:

Surely Verizon will continue to adjust how much data you get with the $30 data plan based on average usage info, as speeds keep increasing.

Hah, as if.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I would think if you were simply using it for facebook/twitter, email, news and an occasional youtube video, then it would be practically impossible to run through the 2GB in a month. Am i wrong?

Depends on *how* occasional the youtube video is.

That is also a ridiculously light usage profile and doesn't get into things like video chat on Skype (which Verizon promotes), Netflix (which Verizon promotes), so on and so forth.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Caseman posted:

I stream pandora at work sometimes, do a lot of light browsing, read books, check social media. I use, on average, 1.5gb/month. I imagine that's their "average user" which is why they set the cap at 2 gigs. I'm not defending it, I think the entire idea of bandwidth caps is ridiculous, but I can kind of understand their thinking.

Right, but define "sometimes". Pandora isn't that heavy on usage - I think Pandora One (the paid Pandora) is 96kbps where the free is even lower? Regardless, it's not that high a bandwidth. There's a difference between that and, say, Netflix or streaming your 320kbps collection off of Google Music.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

We can toss out all the calculations and speculation we want, but unless "everyone else" is lying, not many people use more than a couple of Gb of data each month.

Right now. That's what everyone keeps forgetting.

What is going to happen to average data usage when LTE becomes more prolific and Netflix (which IS being pushed hard by Verizon) is more utilized? Pandora might be a data-light use, but Netflix sure as hell isn't.

Do you trust the telcos to actually raise caps to meet demand as new technologies emerge? Because I don't trust the telcos to do a goddamn thing except line their own greedy pockets.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

They don't necessarily have the capacity to handle it though, that's my point. 700MHz is great on building penetration, but Verizon splits it with AT&T and I think one other. Right now VZ is obviously handling it mostly ok, but long term would still be questionable.

And goodness, it's not like Verzion makes 10 billion in profit per year and thus have a huge war chest if they ever needed to upgrade capacity... :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

maduin posted:

Not really.

The only way it's not absurd is if you're a Verizon shareholder or sycophant.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Hey, Verizon is getting the Epic!

A few more details on Verizon's Samsung SCH-i405 slider

Note, those are the exact same specs as the Epic s/WiMAX/LTE/ and releasing with Android 2.3.4. It may also have SAMOLED+ and a bigger battery.

Why can't someone, ANYONE make a freaking LTE phone with physical keyboard and better specs than my freaking Droid 2 Global? :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

We are a dying breed my friend :(

All we can do is stick together and remember better times.

I wish I could just bolt a LTE radio to my D2G and run with that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

Until they release a phone that can last a full day with normal usage on 4G, or even 3G for that matter, I'm sticking with the iphone.

They already did.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Professorbx posted:

Yes and no. I had one, and with the standard battery I could pull a 10am to 8pm no issue. With the extended battery, I could pull a 10am to 3am with no issue.

And that's not enough for some people? :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Professorbx posted:

It would be, but I carry a Tmo Blackberry 9700 with me as well for work. I get 4 DAYS out of that without breaking a sweat, and I've pulled a full week a couple times. This includes some talk, text, a flood of hundreds of emails a day (work and the separate Gmail app), document editing and the occasional game. I charge it when I remember to, without having to look down at the battery meter and wonder if I will make it or without having to change any habits. Having the two side by side (or now, my iPhone) makes me realize how low our standards are. My 9700 isn't a "fun" phone, but it is nice knowing that, at any given point, I can trust it to do whatever I need to without thinking about what I will need the battery for the rest of the day.

Right, but our standards are "low" because the rate at which technology improves is ridiculously faster than the rate at which battery life/technology has improved, and really there's nothing you can do about that.

Stating that a device with a 2.5" screen and a 650MHz CPU gets several days of life is pointless when you're trying to stack it up against something significantly more powerful.

If my device lasts the day for me (roughly 10 AM to midnight), then that's good enough!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The Bionic is SO 5 minutes ago.

Now it's time to start lusting after the Dinara.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/19/motorola-dinara-to-follow-the-droid-bionic-may-be-one-of-the-first-android-super-phones/

No keyboard? Non-removable battery? gently caress that noise.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Is there any chance that the Samsung QWERTY device mentioned earlier will wind up being Verizon's SGSII, or is that just wishful thinking?

Considering it's been revealed as a 1GHz/512 RAM/low-res screen piece of junk, probably not.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Since no one has brought it up, Amazon has given us the best look of the Bionic so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B005C31EKA/ref=dp_otherviews_z_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&img=1

I'm digging it. I'm also digging the fact that it does NOT have the center power button that the X2 and the Droid 3 have. Off to the one side is much better.

Hrm, seems to be 404-ing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Ha, and just like that...
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/verizon-support-claims-galaxy-s-ii-will-have-4g-lte/#more-41312

They were confused and talking about the Tab 10.1. So, nothing is confirmed about the GSII.

Wouldn't it be great if the keyboard version from AT&T came to VZW and had LTE?

(shut up, leave me and my wishful thinking alone.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ernie Luckman posted:

Are people really that motivated to buy a phone before their NE2 expires? I used to get $100 for NE2. This time around it was only $30. I let it come and go b/c i was waiting for better phones to come out. I'd rather lose a $30 discount than be stuck with an impulse phone buy because i felt i had to use my NE2.

I'd like to save it, but I'm like you - I'm not going to buy a device I won't enjoy (i.e. a phone without a keyboard) just to save :10bux:*5.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It takes 6 months the NE2 to expire after it becomes active. I can't imagine holding out longer than 3 months for a "perfect device" as something newer and better is always going to be on the horizon.

I've already been holding out for longer than three months, and the only blip that came up on the radar was the Droid 3 before we knew it had no LTE.

So yeah. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

No one's forcing you to buy a phone, but if you are always looking at "what's coming out" rather than "what phone has the features that I want today" you'll be like all those poor bastards on Howardforums that are still rocking the original BB Storm because what's coming out is always more exciting than what's here.

(Un)Fortunately for me, looking for "what phone has the features I want today" means I'm FORCED to look at "what's coming out" since nothing has the features I want today! :v:

• Locked thread