Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kalibar posted:

In any case, a hypothetical Nexus Prime release is legitimately worth waiting for. If the NPrime came to VZdub in its rumored form, the Charge vs. Bionic discussion is all going to seem a bit silly. At that point, there will be two Android options on Verizon: "Nexus Prime" and "sorry, you did it wrong."

You mean the Prime will have a keyboard?

...Oh. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bambi posted:

I've been running the leaked Gingerbread update for my Droid 2 Global for about a week now and it handles like a dream, so much so that I will probably even skip over the Bionic and wait for the Droid Prime or something even further down the line. I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the new Blur is great.

There's a leaked Gingerbread for the D2G? I thought it was only for the Droid 2.

Is it still rootable with Z4root?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

That isn't true for everyone.

And even if it was, they still consume 50% (portrait) to 80% (landscape) of the screen real estate.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

Man, I wish the D3 was 4G :(

I would've been the first SOB in line for one if it was. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DaNzA posted:

You can also get around 80ms ping on verizon's 3G, which is perfectly playable for something like a game of L4D2 :v:

drat, that must be some sort of best-case poo poo right there, because the entire time my girlfriend had to tether her 3G to get any sort of high-speed (rural Alabama), she'd be lucky to get anything under 300.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If the Droid Charge is "comically gigantic" to you, thickness-wise, then what in the god-fearing hell do you want? It's only 14mm at its thickest. (going off Wiki's dimensions for it)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's just part and parcel of my attachment to phones with keyboards, but any time I've handled a thinner phone (than my D2G), I felt like I was going to snap the drat thing like a twig. The 14mm thickness mark (Droid 2/Global, the Charge at its thickest, etc.) is pretty much perfect.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Again, what exactly is the problem with this if they continue to sell a shitload of them? If they sell a lot, it shows that people still want the product despite what you seem to think are problems and that they are succeeding in what they're trying to do.

I don't think that's what it shows at all, actually, but hey.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

Nexus Prime announcement delayed due to Job's death.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20117161-17/galaxy-nexus-launch-delayed-due-to-jobs-death/

Really? Ugh.

There's being respectful and there's being stupid.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You seem to be projecting your own personal issues on a whole mobile operating system.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Droid 4 should be everything anyone wants for a keyboard phone coming up.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/27/exclusive-first-pictures-of-the-droid4-by-motorola/

Think 4" screen Razr with a keyboard. That's pretty much the device.

:woop: :siren: :woop:

Finally, a phone I'd legit drop my upgrade for!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

It's coming out sooner than later, let us all rejoice in that fact together as Verizon customers.

Even those of us who aren't buying one can agree to that. :) It's pretty neat that "we" get one, for once.

I will now go back to my cave and crossing my fingers and toes for the Droid 4 to not suck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

JP Money posted:

Who would've thought a store would resist a bunch of people basically loving them over on phones just to keep the best gadgetry in their pockets? :iiam:

How is following the store's own policy, as written, "loving them over"?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

hotsauce posted:

iPhones have sold millions with little fanfare about the non-removable battery

Since when? It was a major gripe and IMHO still is.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/25/official-droid-4-specs-its-definitely-a-big-razr-with-a-keyboard-and-4g-lte/

Really enjoying the Razr, but looks like I'm about to put it on Craigslist :sweatdrop:

Holy gently caress. :flashfap: 1780 mAh battery? Goddamn, that's almost as big as my Droid 2's extended battery, I think.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pbpancho posted:

Same as the RAZR. I've been using a RAZR for over a month without any complaints. Particularly love the camera and screen.

Could you elaborate a bit more? Because I was thinking about waiting a week or two to hear ground tests of the battery (and I may just do so regardless), but some good words from you may make me day-1 it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'd get it now though kyo, considering the $1 phone deal with amazon ends...tomorrow?

Well, I was asking more because apparently the battery in the Droid 4 is the exact same as the battery in the Razr, so I wanted input on how the Razr's was to prep me for my eventual Droid 4.

But good to hear. Now I'm stoked as gently caress.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hey, Razr owners: Did Moto finally fix the battery reporting in 10s only and not exact percents yet?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, fix was probably the wrong word, but worth asking. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Now I am worried about the Droid 4, too. :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Looks like the Droid 4 did not drop today, either. :(

Can... Can I join in the GNex misery party by proxy? :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Just got ship notification from one of my Vendors for the Nexus. Will be in tommorow. :dance:

Still no word from the official channels yet.

Anything on the Droid 4, by chance?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Droid 4 on the 22th, supposedly! :unsmith:

(I'll go back to my hole now, sorry.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I find it amusing that I'm now counting down to the 22nd with the same fervor that all the GNex hopeful were counting down to the 15th, haha.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

Did I miss something? What's going down on the 22nd?

The rumored release of the Droid 4, hopefully.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

Ohh. No unlocked bootloader, no care.

Yes, well, when someone comes out with a phone with a keyboard AND an unlocked bootloader, then I'll be able to be picky in that regard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Samsung Stratosphere :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here you go!

Hardware from this year and some glimmering chance of being updated to ICS would also be nice, jackasses. :v:

(I did laugh, though, so there's that.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bambi posted:

I have a vague memory of reading that Verizon sometimes sends free network extenders to people who live in areas with poor reception. Am I remembering this correctly, or is that something I just made up?

If you call and bitch, they sometimes will either send it free, or have you pay up front and give credits, is what I've heard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't that just using your own internet to create a verizon 3G hotspot?

Correct.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If this pushes back the Droid 4 release I will cry a little. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:suicide:

I just want a new phone you assholes.

vv Been this way for about a year, so gently caress you :v:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 22, 2011

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Welp. :suicide:

At least my D2G works okay enough.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hearing the squealing of my girlfriend about her new GNex was all worth it for me. :unsmith:

(Now to wait until February for my Droid 4... :sigh:)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

It isn't any bill payment, stop that.

"A $2 convenience fee applies to all payments made by phone or online."

That's pretty much any relevant bill payment for anyone reading this thread - does anyone posting here actually go to a VZW store to pay their bill?

It's also unmitigated nickle-and-diming horseshit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

As far as nickle-and-diming goes this is pretty much just following what any other utility company would do.

That doesn't make it not dogshit, and yes, it is a big deal.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

If a 2 dollar fee on some forms of payment is a big deal to you I can't imagine how you handle things that are actually a big deal.

Yes, let's focus only on the value and not what the action represents and all that. :rolleyes:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Welp I guess this answers the question of when the double data promo is going away.

If I wasn't on unlimited data, I'd be really pissed off right now as someone waiting on the Droid 4.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

But as a lover of keyboards you're perpetually pissed off :)

Too true! :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm pretty hyped, gonna get one as soon as it drops.

You are not the only one. I hope 2/2 doesn't end up falling through like every other rumored release date, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

What's with all that hate in the comments on that link posted above? Something about the battery sucking and being non-replaceable?

I wouldn't know, I refuse to read the comments on anything even remotely tech-related or Android-related anymore, since it causes me to want to claw my eyes out in despair if I do.

• Locked thread