Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Remember when the ship ran out of air and they had a musical montage of everyone slowly suffocating with lyrics like "don't forget to breathe"

Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno if this shift comes completely with the adventure of Stargate Universe; there was always a strong boy's club energy to Atlantis, with Weir increasingly diminished in capacity and clout while McKay (and Shepard, but particularly McKay) got away with some fairly egregious flaws in conduct, judgement, etc.

You're probably right. I have fond memories of SG1 & SGA, so maybe that and time have faded it from my recollection. But those elements were certainly too blatant to miss in SGU, and objectionable enough that even at the time I thought it was hosed up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I liked on Universe how many times the "threat" wasn't actually a threat but just the ship doing some routine poo poo and everyone freaking out because it looks like the ship is dive-bombing a star for no reason or something. They spend the whole episode fighting and wrangling with each other, people get hurt or killed, they probably lose a shuttle or something extremely vital.... and then the ship just does its thing and moseys along.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't like SGU at first because it was so different from the other SG shows. I eventually realized that was the point. The viewer needs to feel just as uncomfortable with what's happening as the characters do. Everything on the ship is just so alien because it's so old and no one understands what it's doing or why it is doing things. The interpersonal conflicts weren't so bad. The stones were even kind of interesting. What I didn't like was that they were literally raping people by possessing their bodies to have sex with people back on Earth. It was real hosed when someone swapped places with that disabled woman and then tried to get handsy with their partner from Earth while the caretaker of the disabled woman was there.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It just blows me away that they seemingly saw nothing wrong with the situation the airmen sex puppets were in. If SG1 or TNG or something found a planet they were just doing that on, it would be a big point of conflict.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It should have been insanely regulated. Like the visitations happen in a reinforced glass booth in an isolated part of the SGA surrounded by guards and some sort of interference device. Like, ANYTHING

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Just imagine being at home, and some random woman shows up and says that she's actually your wife, and within a few hours you're having sex with this complete stranger's body. Even ignoring the flesh puppet rape its such an odd scenario.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Something as crazy top secret as being stuck on a spaceship a galaxy away, you just gotta pretend they’re dead. Or just explain to them they’re on a super top secret mission but they’re still alive, bye bye.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

happyhippy posted:

Its pretty standard reactions for mostly non-military people trapped in a whats seems doomed situation.

They are not trained for this, most are civilian contractors, one minute scanning alien planet rock for bacteria, next thing 50 galaxies away with little food, water, and air.
I would be bitching too.

Young is one of the few trying to keep his poo poo together, but has cracks in his personality from conflicts with Rushe and others.

Disagree because like, ok yes in lovely situations you would have some moments like that, but not constantly. At some point I just started skipping by ten minute increments and at no point did the screaming and shouting stop.

Humans are really, absurdly good at adapting to new situations and the brain is amazingly good at going "Oh, this is normal now... OK" to the point that it can actively become a hindrance in some situations.

When people are trapped in an impossible situation they tend to band together and find ways of expressing cameraderie, not go Lord of the Flies.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I dunno if this shift comes completely with the advent of Stargate Universe; there was always a strong boy's club energy to Atlantis, with Weir increasingly diminished in capacity and clout while McKay (and Shepard, but particularly McKay) got away with some fairly egregious flaws in conduct, judgement, etc.

This is a good point but I will counter devil's advocate style with — McKay gets away with poo poo because he really is that skilled. Carter only gets good at alien tech after she gets the Tok'Ra in her brain (Which isn't ever thrown attention on by the series, which I love as a minor plot point there for folks who keep their peepers open), McKay never gets that and still manages to make do! :science:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought I liked SGU but realizing now I don't know if I saw enough to really say either way bc I do not remember puppets at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

It should have been insanely regulated. Like the visitations happen in a reinforced glass booth in an isolated part of the SGA surrounded by guards and some sort of interference device. Like, ANYTHING

This has it's own issues, though. Treating these people like they're in prison because of a situation that they didn't ask for is also pretty hosed up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It does suck but you also don't know what could possibly happen. In many ways the stones are like a space seance, and who knows what the gently caress lurks between galaxies that you're opening a channel to?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I forget, where those stones the same ones that let Jack have visions of a completely ordinary barber for years? Or were they different.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Boxturret posted:

I forget, where those stones the same ones that let Jack have visions of a completely ordinary barber for years? Or were they different.

The stones let you swap bodies with someone else. So an expert on something could swap onto the ship to check something out and then the person on the ship could visit their loved ones.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

The stones let you swap bodies with someone else. So an expert on something could swap onto the ship to check something out and then the person on the ship could visit their loved ones.

Yeah I know, they had them in late SG1, Daniel got swapped in to someone in the ori galaxy and then he got swapped in to by Vaala, I was just wondering if they're the same stones that Jack and the barber accidentally had, where they were sharing memories to a limited degree when they were both near them, or if they're a completely separate thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Boxturret posted:

I think they're the same ones Homer Simpson had, yeah, but they found the docking station later in an Ori era arc. I for sure remember the ori being involved somehow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think the first stone originally came from that planet with the quantum mirror. I don't know/recall how the other one got to earth for Homer to buy it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

According to the wiki, "[Homer's] stone, we find out, was discovered by the grandfather of the garage sale's operator and had been found at a dig in Egypt. "

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boxturret posted:

Yeah I know, they had them in late SG1, Daniel got swapped in to someone in the ori galaxy and then he got swapped in to by Vaala, I was just wondering if they're the same stones that Jack and the barber accidentally had, where they were sharing memories to a limited degree when they were both near them, or if they're a completely separate thing.

Weren't both Daniel and Vala actually in the Ori galaxy in that arc? Hence why it's a big deal when they're burned as heretics?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rappaport posted:

According to the wiki, "[Homer's] stone, we find out, was discovered by the grandfather of the garage sale's operator and had been found at a dig in Egypt. "

They need a follow-up series on that grandfather.

Gaz-L posted:

Weren't both Daniel and Vala actually in the Ori galaxy in that arc? Hence why it's a big deal when they're burned as heretics?

I'm shocked at what a mix of clear and fuzzy my memory of this all is, but as I recall they used the stones to trade places with local Ori Galaxy hicks and then the connection is broken and they're stuck in those people.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

alexandriao posted:

IDK I mean it felt super Lord Of The Flies in a way that most people provably are not.

If I wanted to watch realism, I would go outside. When I watch TV, I want to escape reality for 42ish minutes.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Imasalmon posted:

If I wanted to watch realism, I would go outside. When I watch TV, I want to escape reality for 42ish minutes.

I mean, same. Except poorly manufactured worse-than-soap level Drama isn't really my idea of a Fun Time. As a teenager I used to watch Emmerdale and Coronation Street because it was the only thing on TV and my folks had the remote, and SGU's drama is literally worse than both of those in terms of motivation, character development, and believability.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

IDK this takes some beating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrN1EOWVK8U

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
British soaps know how to do "event" stuff better than any other genre of show

honestly I was pretty impressed by the fight choreography in hollyoaks

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

you cant fool me thats just a normal episode from SGU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I dunno if this shift comes completely with the advent of Stargate Universe; there was always a strong boy's club energy to Atlantis, with Weir increasingly diminished in capacity and clout while McKay (and Shepard, but particularly McKay) got away with some fairly egregious flaws in conduct, judgement, etc.

Atlantis is really mean spirited all around. The way they treat machine life is absolutely revolting to watch now, people help them and help them atlantis still distrusts and want to kill them

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm starting a rewatch of the franchise. Goddamn is the first episode of SG1 a time capsule. The cut of episode one on Amazon still has the reproductive organs line. It's a very functional pilot.

The second episode does a great job of establishing just what kind of monsters the SGC is dealing with while also giving them a plausible reason to keep Teal'c on the team beyond the fact that he's in the opening credits.

Emancipation is still trash.

The Broca Divide is an example of an episode that could only exist when you're making 20+ episodes a season. It's silly, it looks kinda cheap (though the set designers get all the love for the faux-minoan building on a budget), and it doesn't move the goa'uld story along at all. But it's also a fun side story that expands the setting.

The First Commandment gets the inevitable Heart of Darkness/"maybe we are gods" episode out of the way early. If SG1 was rebooted today this plot would be an dragged out for an entire loving season. At least the NID never tried to pretend to be gods.

Cold Lazarus is an interesting episode. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. An alien (and the audience) learning about the deep grief that O'Neil still carries about Charlie.

Honestly other than Emancipation it's a pretty solid run of episodes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have to leave that line in so it will be funny when they use it ironically later.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Nox is great as always. Still a fun story with great world building.

Brief Candle keeps the thread of the goa'uld being monsters going by establishing human experimentation. Also establishing Jack is DTF. To be fair I wouldn't have turned down the hottie either.

Also the Goa'uld have the least convenient eReaders in the galaxy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

8one6 posted:

At least the NID never tried to pretend to be gods.

Are you forgetting about when they left Mayborne on a planet and he convinced them he was god?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

pixaal posted:

Are you forgetting about when they left Mayborne on a planet and he convinced them he was god?

yeah but that's not the NID, that's just Mayborne being Mayborne.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Yes I did forget, but to be fair Mayborne didn't tie people to a stake and leave them to fry under UV radiation.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

He works for NID

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

pixaal posted:

He works for NID

I mean he chooses to stay on that planet indefinitely, so pretty sure if he hadn't resigned by that point, that's a pretty firm resignation right there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Thor's Hammer is a solid world building episode that leads to more good (the Asgard being greys) than bad (eventually human form replicators).

In retrospect making the only nice set of human gods that show up more than once in the series the most white people of the world's pantheons wasn't the best idea in the long run.

If I were to reboot Stargate today I'd make it very clear that the various alien factions cooped the already existing religions instead of being the direct inspirations and I'd have the balance of goa'uld to asgard (or whatever they end up being called) more even across world religions.

If I'm being honest they'd still probably be strongly ancient Egypt vs viking theme but that's because I'm a cheese lord, but there would also be more variety for both sides.

Also getting James Earl Jones as the voice of the first Unas was loving awesome.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Torment of Tantalus is a fantastic episode! The actor playing Ernest really does a great job when trying to talk Daniel out of staying.

Bloodlines is a keeper if for no other reason than it introduced Master Bra'tac. You get to see a little bit of Daniel's darker side, it starts the process of humanizing the jaffa, and Teal'c gets to fill out his backstory.

Fire & Water is a great episode, Shanks is a good performer, and I like the alien design. It's too bad they never revisit the guy or do anything with it. This is another episode that probably wouldn't happen on a modern 10 episode season.

If I rebooted Stargate I'd keep it and tie it into the idea for a wider variety of aliens faking being a wider variety of myths and legends. Maybe make them the furlings.

loving Hathor!
Look, Suanne Braun is super pretty, so I'll never be able to completely hate this episode, but it's a bad episode. Maybe the idea of a goa'uld abandoned on earth during the rebellion could be recycled into a better episode or as part of a season arc, but no sex pheromones, no trying to create new jaffa, none of that stupid poo poo.

Maybe set up an Earth based enemy faction of goa'uld. Maybe setup Hathor (or Ba'al, or Osiris, or all of them in a legion of doom) as a magnificent bastard who you can't trust but still have to work with when the first alien ships show up in orbit.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 8, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

8one6 posted:

Thor's Hammer is a solid world building episode that leads to more good (the Asgard being greys) than bad (eventually human form replicators).

In retrospect making the only nice set of human gods that show up more than once in the series the most white people of the world's pantheons wasn't the best idea in the long run.

If I were to reboot Stargate today I'd make it very clear that the various alien factions cooped the already existing religions instead of being the direct inspirations and I'd have the balance of goa'uld to asgard (or whatever they end up being called) more even across world religions.

If I'm being honest they'd still probably be strongly ancient Egypt vs viking theme but that's because I'm a cheese lord, but there would also be more variety for both sides.

Also getting James Earl Jones as the voice of the first Unas was loving awesome.

Do you think Santa Claus is an Asgard or a Goa'uld?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

santa is a furling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jazerus posted:

santa is a furling

If we assume they are fur covered, Easter Bunny is more going to be their lore.