Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wetwipes, carry Wetwipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You'll also be thankful for them when you had had a bath in a week, or when the food you shouldn't have eaten but was totally worth it gives you the most horrendous case of the shits you've ever had.

See a doctor if you poo poo blood for more than a few months.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm genuinely impressed how confidently it straddles the line between cool and dumb.

I'd have to look more when it comes out but would probably buy one when my current microfleece dies (edit: the 'sweatshirt' is cotton, if it was polartec I'd definitely get obe).

I'd end up using the pockets for the wrong things but pen/zipper, eye mask and glove things are cool. Neck brace is eh, but I think I saw him put an open coke can in it and that is A grade retard right there.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 8, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm not a violent man, but if I saw anyone put an open can of coke in their special can pocket I'd just start gibbering and punch the can.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Anyone know anywhere you can buy floating pack lids separately?

I've got a Blaze AC60 and it is the tits. Light, easy to pack, relatively comfortable (could be a bit taller but I've done multi day hikes and it's ok) basically lived out of it for a year. The problem is the sold separately lid which is a piece of poo poo:

I used it as a daybag/shoulder bag, and with the compression straps you can fit a bit more gear on it but it's only 7L, the zip keeps popping open, and even if it didn't it's positioned perfectly to dump all your poo poo on the ground. If the zip was more towards the top it'd be ok but eh.

I want to replace it with a better one, even if it means smashing the new buckles off and sewing the old ones on, but I can't even find anywhere to buy them aside from a way over priced ($90) army thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Saint Fu posted:

Welp there goes $100

Go on, post the purchase. We won't judge. We're all friends here.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I just take bottles of soap that other people leave behind. I lose my own so often I figure it's just the cycle of life or something,

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Unless the frame is huge you can usually compression strap the gently caress out of anything and call it carry on legal.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Saladman posted:

You should probably go into a real physical store and check them out in person. Even a 45 L bag is large enough for 10 days of clothing with a change every day.

This. The issue is when you start carrying sleeping bags, tents, pots and poo poo. If you don't plan on camping or doing some sort of activity that requires specialized equipment you can pro any travel for a few years with a a 45l pack quite easily.

On the subject of pack sales, north face and osprey will naturally have huge sales numbers which just means they have awesome advertising budgets. Just look for a reasonable number of reviews with a high number of stars and read a few for red flags (bad zips, poor ergonomics, small pox infection etc)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Look more comfortable than most office shoes. The only problem is if you take it hiking it's going to get torn up and look like poo poo for the office. Be great for missionary types.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Khul makes some seriously awesome pants and jeans. Technical and more normal looking. Try them on because the sizing can be a bit weird but they really are great.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Pretty much. Detergent and a bathtub with a poo poo load of hot water should get rid of most oils. Maybe not the stains but eh.

Also was the oil King of Shaves? I've used it before, yeah it works but it does feel weird and I guess it would go gangbusters if it leaked.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hell yeah. I bought a simple cotton sarong in Brazil at some point and I'm never going back. Can also use it for beach hanging out (doesn't collect sand), shade (built a sun sheer once), a light blanket on a bus and yeah, plain old cotton sheets dry super fast. Plus it doesn't carry dirt and poo poo or act like Velcro to sticks like travel towels.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Go to a thrift store and buy the largest, cheapest thing they have and reinforce it with duct tape. It only has to make one journey.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, they usually 'check at the gate' for free, some people get away with stupidly big carry on. If it will fit in the overheads and it's not a full flight they're sometimes really lax/flexible. Generally the cheaper the airline the more stingy they'll be because that's where all the revenue is.

Don't forget you get carry on PLUS a 'personal item' which can be an oversized hand bag or something dumb like that. Also a coat with lots of pockets can help. Or you can wear this stupid loving thing

If you're worried find a bag that sort of matches the airline's carry on specs and stuff it to the brim.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 11, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Built in safety whistle. loving lol. Does it come with optional EPIRB?

Doesn't look too bad, make sure the fabrics/stitching and zips are good quality if you plan on keeping/travelling more than a few months in its lifespan.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blinkman987 posted:

People often say "I don't want to look like a tourist." My response mentally always is "well, outside of Europe-- are you white and/or over 5'7"? Yes? Then you look like a tourist."

There's more to it than that. What they mean is 'I don't want to look like a dumb rear end tourist with a flashing neon sign saying "I'm a piece of poo poo and won't try to learn the language and don't respect your culture and could you rob me please?".

Everyone who travels has this sign above their heads whether they want it or not but you can dim it down a bunch by dressing more like the locals and not wearing shorts everywhere (unless it's hot af because you have the draw a line somewhere) and trying not to be a tool.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It's a 'thing', but you're just as likely to get straight up mugged, or have the whole bag stolen, or get scammed by some stupid trick you never saw coming.

Situational awareness and not looking like a mark is way more valuable.

Wearing a bag that says 'pacsafe' screams out to me 'Ive got a bunch of expensive poo poo, whose wants some?'.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Unless you plan on camping and poo poo. I had a 65L pack and fully half of it is cold weather gear/tents/stove etc.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
At some point you're carrying too much, at another point you've ridden the ultralight train to the point you've only got one pair of underwear and your toothbrush doubles as a fork.

Yeah it's all about what you're doing, but a 4 man tent wtf.

What I do every few weeks/months is empty the bag out on a bed or whatever and go though everything. At the end you'll have about a kilo of dumb poo poo you've been carrying that you just don't need you can toss out. And then you promise yourself you won't pick up more dumb poo poo. Then three months later you throw out another two kilos of dumb poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
gently caress that guy and his stupid hat. I bet you he has a few grand in a savings account somewhere and parents who'd send him cash if he asked for it but he 'wants to do it himself'. Get a job pulling pints if you're hard up.

'Need cash to get home' would be more sympathetic.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Does it actually work?

How long does it take to rinse the soap out?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Nthing that decent price acts are $80-100+. I've been looking for a decent replacement bag for years now, and I'm starting to think it'll be worth paying $200 to get the bag of my dreams. Stupid features.

I figure if it lasts 10 years like the last one then $20 a year isn't too bad.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Khul or however you say it makes some pretty drat nice pants. A lighter no frills pair was great for hiking and lasted about 9months of hard use before literally falling apart over six days in a Bolivian jungle. Kinda pricy but really good,just try them on first as the sizing is weird like all pants these days.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Soft duffle is better as it conforms to shapes and can be squeezed into places. Unless you have a priceless Ming vase or something.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Looks like it'd be good for commuting and inter/tra city travel but camping? Looks like it weights a ton.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

caberham posted:

I give up I look like a travel dad. Swear to god it's by accident

Please post a pic of you wearing your get up for the thread so we can start to mock you before realizing we all look the same. Blur your head out though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lady Gaza posted:

Travel gear gift ideas for my sister who is going to New Zealand traveling for 6 weeks then living there for a year? She's got a backpack but not much else, I was thinking of useful things, like one of those collapsible day backpacks, but if anyone has any cool ideas or gadgets that'd be useful.

Find something something utterly pointless like a brick and wrap it up really nicely. Tell her it's important that she only opens it when she gets to her destination.

That's how I feel whenever people give me a gift right before I go travelling. 'Oh this'll be so useful! I just know you need a giant clunky adapter or travel towel that takes up two litres of your carefully thought out pack load'. Usually cheaply made bad quality. If you get her something make sure it's really tiny and light, or something she can use before she goes, or ask her if she wants it first.

Someone once gave me a rubber chicken, that was funny.

Edit: if she hasn't got the latest volume of a guide book for the area I'd go for that. Everyone (including me) shits all over lonely planet/footprint/whatever but they are undeniably useful unless you've spent literally weeks researching where you want to go and/or you have friends in the area.

Double edit: or a bunch of really small souvenirs, flag stickers and poo poo like that from your home country she can give to people/friends she meets. People love that poo poo. Australians have little clip on koalas and I hide them in houses/cars when people help me out and it's great getting an email six months down the line when people find them.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 3, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Given taxes and import duties it's possible that new Zealand's Marino products are cheaper in the USA than they are in their country of origin.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blinkman987 posted:

Speaking of merino, I have two Icebreaker Transport polos which are basically perfect for travel. Dressy enough for the types of places I frequent, but still comfortable. Those are all sold out and it seems IB doesn't have another polo available, so does anybody have any other brands they'd recommend?

PS - Months, maybe years ago, I was on here discussing IB vs Smartwool and yeah, whomever said that Icebreaker stuff is way more fragile or wears down more quickly was totally right.

I've found all wool baselayers that aren't really thick tend to disintegrate pretty easily.

Toose polo's look way better than the poo poo stripey one I bought back in early 2011. Wore it a handful of times over a year or so of travel but couldn;t bring myself to chuck it out given how much I'd paid for it.

Eventually gave it away.

edit: it's washing and drying that seems to destroy clothes, I've started hanging all my wool based layers out to dry rather than tumble dry. Way less holes and wear.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm a fan of reusing a 500 ml water bottle until it gets funky. Buying a new one every 6 months is less drain on the environment than buying a dedicated waterbottle every few years.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leviathan Song posted:

Who pays $30? A nalgene is $10 on amazon and less if you find a sale. They last longer than 10 dasani bottles.

If you don't lose it. I've lost a few over the years.

I use a smartwater bottle because it's super skinny and slides into packs easily. I might buy a few a year, when I don't have a choice but usually just grab one out of recycling.

Looking online it looks like the energy to make a Nalgene is 3-4 time more than a disposable.

It's kind of a wash depending on how long a bottle lasts you and if you reuse bottles that would be bound for the landfill anyway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That must have been some pretty spirited running then eh? Eeehhhhhh?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

qirex posted:

Luggage repair shops exist, I'd imagine they're not super common but I've seen them.

Try shoe shine/repair/key cutters. You used to be able to find them in shopping centres (depending on where you live).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Waroduce posted:

My gf and I are going to Italy for 10 days and we ordered a 40L G4Freebackpack and an Outdoor Master 50L off amazon....they were like $20 and 36$ respectively. For 10 days of not hiking and poo poo are these ok? I was originally leaning toward a Kelty Redwing 50L but they were like 100$ and she was bitching at me about how much it was when amazon had cheaper stuff. I'm a bit worried, but just for getting from Cologne to Rome for 10 days and back...should be ok?

Regarding sleeveless t-shirts and the athletic shoes, is it really a bad idea to wear them? The sleeveless I was planning on wearing around Amalfi for walking between the towns and I was going to wear black nike athletic shoes to pretty much everything while bringing a decent pair of dress shoes to wear with jeans at night.

Are you planning on ever using the bags again? For ten days without hiking you could probably get away with a bunch of shopping bags.

I generally don't wear sleeveless (guy) unless I'm at the beach on the assumption that someone will think I'm under dressed, and people treat you better when you're dressed better.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've seen some scummy poo poo and I've done terrible things with pack covers and duct tape but I've never seen a bedsheet taco. My life is poorer for it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Those shoulder strap style 'hidden pouches' are terrible because you can always see the strap against your neck so people know to mug you.

I ended up tying one of them to a loop that goes on the belt and the whole pouch gets tucked into my pants near my junk. Aside from a tiny piece if cord the whole thing is invisible. Not uncomfortable unless it's hot ( winter in South America was fine). Then in my pockets I had a phone and lovely wallet with the days cash, an old drivers license and an expired credit card. If I'm. Urged I hand it over and they hopefully think that's all I've got.

Didn't get mugged but it worked for a year and a half straight and I never had anything important stolen.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The guys who make darn tough socks should open a line of woollen dufflebags.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'd take them but drat my medium sized body.

How do you guys transport cooking oil/pesto etc in your packs? Everything ends up leaking. Anyone tried small coke/PET bottles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Omits-Bagels posted:

I feel ya. I could wear them if I lost 30lbs... but that's not happening.

Relevent username post combo.

• Locked thread