Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hughlander posted:

Where do people post game jobs these days? Gamasutra used to be it, but I don't see that any longer.

Context is I think we're only advertising on linkedin and Indeed and are getting people with no game experience for senior roles.

I've gotten my last few roles through LinkedIn. No idea where else things are posted other than your own site since orcahq died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
We do Linkedin/Gama still, plus artstation for any art roles.

For those looking, the new orca: https://gracklehq.com/jobs

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Got my new job through LinkedIn but I was using grackle as well.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Been thinking about applying for a position at Bungie. Planning on preparing my resume this weekend.
Anyone here worked there before and have any tips?

I’ve been sort of out of the game industry scene for a bit now and more into backend services.
But they have some job openings that might align more with my current experience.
While I’d love to be working on gameplay stuff again I think I’d have a better shot at applying for one of their backend services positions.

It’s been so long since I’ve had to do an interview I’m a bit nervous about and that nervousness always seems to prevent me from thinking clearly during the actual interviews - which has never worked out well for me.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 5, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Backend services teams at big studios are almost always effectively separate from the game teams. I don't know much about Bungie specifically, but I'd expect that you'd be interviewing with folks who want to hear more about your backend experience than your game industry experience.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I got a gamedev job at a local studio that was posted on Indeed!!!! Used a goon buddy I did some unreal projects with as a reference.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Megafunk posted:

I got a gamedev job at a local studio that was posted on Indeed!!!! Used a goon buddy I did some unreal projects with as a reference.
Well done, congratulations!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Megafunk posted:

Grats! Sucker :smug:

This got me thinking, I don't think I've ever gotten a Games Job offer through LinkedIn? Indeed, Orca (RIP), GamesJobs have gotten me offers, but I'm batting like 0 for LinkedIn.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Studio posted:

This got me thinking, I don't think I've ever gotten a Games Job offer through LinkedIn? Indeed, Orca (RIP), GamesJobs have gotten me offers, but I'm batting like 0 for LinkedIn.

You want mine? I get recruiters constantly, despite most of my LinkedIn being a warning to not send me messages about job postings.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Studio posted:

Picked up my current role and prior role through LinkedIn. Miss orca.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Might be a long shot, but does anyone here have insight on the UI/UX side of game studios? I’m surfing jobs in anticipation that my current one will sink someday. At this moment, my qualifications for game-specific UI/UX are thin: basically, I’ve done one research paper. It’s probably not worth my time to pivot to the games industry, but poo poo, figured I’d take a look.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

broken pixel posted:

Might be a long shot, but does anyone here have insight on the UI/UX side of game studios? I’m surfing jobs in anticipation that my current one will sink someday. At this moment, my qualifications for game-specific UI/UX are thin: basically, I’ve done one research paper. It’s probably not worth my time to pivot to the games industry, but poo poo, figured I’d take a look.

my partner does UX/UI mostly for non games and looks at game stuff every once in a while.

It's all over the place for games. Some places understand and make good use of UI/UX roles. Others will mis-use the role and just have them make the art for buttons.

So if you want a job in games you can probably make it happen with a good UI/UX portfolio, but you might have to search a bit.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

more falafel please posted:

You want mine? I get recruiters constantly, despite most of my LinkedIn being a warning to not send me messages about job postings.

I get lots of recruiters popping in, but most of those don't go anywhere (though I don't see too many games in that pipeline).

Also every March a bunch of Microsoft recruiters for production roles that shouldn't be contract lol.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Chainclaw posted:

my partner does UX/UI mostly for non games and looks at game stuff every once in a while.

It's all over the place for games. Some places understand and make good use of UI/UX roles. Others will mis-use the role and just have them make the art for buttons.

So if you want a job in games you can probably make it happen with a good UI/UX portfolio, but you might have to search a bit.

Yeah, everyone in games wants UI/UX people but most places don't actually know how to utilize them properly. Almost every UI designer I know is continually frustrated about their job.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

broken pixel posted:

We have UI/UX designers and UI artists who just do that as their entire roles, but the nature of the projects we do/have done (E.g. ports where we have to completely redo the interface to work with controllers) has really demanded we have them and make correct use of them. Like we’ve been working on CK3 for 2 years at this point and still have dedicated UI/UX designers and artists working on it as their full time job.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I got my current job as a game designer through Linkedin, but that's the only one.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Akuma posted:

We have UI/UX designers and UI artists who just do that as their entire roles, but the nature of the projects we do/have done (E.g. ports where we have to completely redo the interface to work with controllers) has really demanded we have them and make correct use of them. Like we’ve been working on CK3 for 2 years at this point and still have dedicated UI/UX designers and artists working on it as their full time job.

Yep, I was part of an early investigation of a PC to console port and when asked how to get it out by a certain date my only reply was, "Hire two full time UX designers 6 months ago."

Chernabog posted:

I got my current job as a game designer through Linkedin, but that's the only one.

I've been thinking about this. I had a wonderfully aggressive recruiter (And I think to call him a recruiter is an insult, he was the HR department for a startup and knows everyone, he went on to be a VP at Twitch and now Director at Google.) reach out to me about 10 years ago on linked in, and that was the only time in 22 years of gaming that Linkedin got me a job. Otherwise it was all networking.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 25, 2022

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

As a Technical Director I get recruiters coming at me on LinkedIn constantly with varying levels of aggression. About half the time they’re for a lateral TD move (it’s hard to go up at this point as I’m studio TD for a well funded organisation) but then the rest of the time they’re for like Programming Manager or Lead Programmer or some poo poo because recruiters can be terrible and/or desperate. But it’s never got me a job because I’ve never been looking while I’ve been on there, really.

I haven’t interviewed for a job since 2009 because I’ve been incredibly, impossibly lucky with how my network came about (I’m really bad at networking.)

Edit: anyone going to Develop??

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Akuma posted:

As a Technical Director I get recruiters coming at me on LinkedIn constantly with varying levels of aggression. About half the time they’re for a lateral TD move (it’s hard to go up at this point as I’m studio TD for a well funded organisation) but then the rest of the time they’re for like Programming Manager or Lead Programmer or some poo poo because recruiters can be terrible and/or desperate. But it’s never got me a job because I’ve never been looking while I’ve been on there, really.

I haven’t interviewed for a job since 2009 because I’ve been incredibly, impossibly lucky with how my network came about (I’m really bad at networking.)

Edit: anyone going to Develop??

Thinking about getting back to conferences next year, but I'll probably stick to things in the US.

I'm at least starting to get spammed for engineering manager roles, which is mildly validating even if I'm not interested in a lateral.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

leper khan posted:

Thinking about getting back to conferences next year, but I'll probably stick to things in the US.

I'm at least starting to get spammed for engineering manager roles, which is mildly validating even if I'm not interested in a lateral.
It should be validating!

It’s weird, in the UK it really feels like 90% of people have just decided to go back to how it used to be, even in the face of huge covid numbers. At Sumo we just had our own developer conference over two days (SDC) and it looks like probably 10% of people who attended came away with covid, and those are just the ones that noticed.

Inside I’m screaming about it because barely anybody even wears masks anymore, and at the same time there’s this very real pressure to just push that aside and get back to how it was.

So, I’m going to Develop. Not going to the talks, though, so I can try and stay a little bit away from throngs of people. Inevitably I’ll end up in a packed pub, though. C’est la vie.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm going to Develop, and since I just got over my second bout of Covid(who would have thought going to a music festival with 70,000 people would be risky?) I'm hoping I have some immunity going for me.

Nobody cares anymore. I'll be wearing a mask whenever I'm not eating or drinking, at least.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So the Bungie thing didn't pan out. Decided to apply to a couple of other places and after about a month of various interviews it looks like I'm going to be receiving an offer soon.
Just waiting to hear back on details and then negotiations and final approval process.

Gotta say the interview process was entirely different from when I did an interview back in 2010 with Gearbox.
That Gearbox interview gave me PTSD and turned me off interviewing for a long long time. In retrospect I think I dodged a toxic work environment.

This interview process I just went through was well put together. All the questions were fair and relevant.
No leetcode questions at all but there was a two hour test. Followed by, frankly, just technical discussion back & forth and some systems design.
The two hour test was some basic trivia questions with multiple choice and then a few coding problems that mostly involved multi-threading / asynchronous problems.

For contrast the Gearbox interview had me hand writing assembly on a whiteboard for a UI programming position.
And that is just one of the many many things that was terribly wrong in that on-site interview.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 29, 2022

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

xgalaxy posted:

So the Bungie thing didn't pan out. Decided to apply to a couple of other places and after about a month of various interviews it looks like I'm going to be receiving an offer soon.
Just waiting to hear back on details and then negotiations and final approval process.

Gotta say the interview process was entirely different from when I did an interview back in 2010 with Gearbox.
That Gearbox interview gave me PTSD and turned me off interviewing for a long long time. In retrospect I think I dodged a toxic work environment.

This interview process I just went through was well put together. All the questions were fair and relevant.
No leetcode questions at all but there was a two hour test. Followed by, frankly, just technical discussion back & forth and some systems design.
The two hour test was some basic trivia questions with multiple choice and then a few coding problems that mostly involved multi-threading / asynchronous problems.

For contrast the Gearbox interview had me hand writing assembly on a whiteboard for a UI programming position.
And that is just one of the many many things that was terribly wrong in that on-site interview.

Lol I remember doing the gearbox interview around that time. Got asked why I didn't evaluate every bit pattern after writing an emulator for their toy processor instead of puzzling out the solution. (I still found an optimal solution)

They ended it with this panel interview with like 30 people grilling me about random stuff.

I also didn't get that one, and looking back am happy for it. :hf:

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I wish I knew more people in the industry (out of contact with a few people that I used to be friends with), but I'll try cleaning up my portfolio and firing off a fresh resume/cover letter.

Chainclaw posted:

I had to dodge a lot of "make pretty pictures" jobs as a visual designer. When I look at game companies, I try to focus on companies that clarify their UI/UX process up front. It's not a surefire way to find good places, but it helps.

Akuma posted:

I believe it. It's nice to hear we're needed, and CK3 is a great example of "please please have effective UX."

Hughlander posted:

Yep, I was part of an early investigation of a PC to console port and when asked how to get it out by a certain date my only reply was, "Hire two full time UX designers 6 months ago."
I wish more places took this approach! There's so many ports that are inches away from being a good experience that never received the UX love it needed.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

From what I've heard you definitely dodged a bullet with Gearbox there. Glad you found something, though I am curious (for selfish reasons, I just started talking with a recruiter from Bungie about a UI Eng role) what do you think went wrong with your Bungie interview? I haven't interviewed for a job since the pandemic started, so I'm really not sure what to expect.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hughlander posted:

I did a port of a PC MMO to console. Initially, they didn't want us to change the UI at all.

"Can't you just use the stick as a mouse?"
"Well, we also need to control movement and camera with the stick"
"Ok, well then just remap all the keybinds to controller buttons, problem solved"
"There's 16 buttons"
"Well, I'm sure you'll make it work. We need to maintain the experience across platforms"

We blew a year on it before they realized they were trying to make a console game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I did a port of a PC MMO to console. Initially, they didn't want us to change the UI at all.

Did they at any point realize that nobody would want to play their MMO on console if it meant putting up with that kind of UI?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did they at any point realize that nobody would want to play their MMO on console if it meant putting up with that kind of UI?

Eventually. Their parent company wanted them to do the port, the devs didn't think they'd have many console players. It took until about a month after shipping when they had 3 times more active console players than PC players that they realized they were making a console game.

They also thought they could ship on console (PS4/X1) singlethreaded and 32-bit, so.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

"Can't you just use the stick as a mouse?"
"Well, we also need to control movement and camera with the stick"
"Ok, well then just remap all the keybinds to controller buttons, problem solved"
"There's 16 buttons"
"Well, I'm sure you'll make it work. We need to maintain the experience across platforms"

We blew a year on it before they realized they were trying to make a console game.

Big one that gets people also often is "Hey there's a lot of UI, but we don't have the concept that X is 'UP' of Y"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hughlander posted:

Big one that gets people also often is "Hey there's a lot of UI, but we don't have the concept that X is 'UP' of Y"

Also "the player is going to be sitting ten feet away from the screen, that text is not legible" and "TVs don't actually show the whole framebuffer" and "it's actually really hard to make a virtual cursor that feels good"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Every time people talk about console dev, I just think, "that sounds almost as bad as the nonsense in mobile"

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Truspeaker posted:

From what I've heard you definitely dodged a bullet with Gearbox there. Glad you found something, though I am curious (for selfish reasons, I just started talking with a recruiter from Bungie about a UI Eng role) what do you think went wrong with your Bungie interview? I haven't interviewed for a job since the pandemic started, so I'm really not sure what to expect.

Oh I didn’t interview at Bungie.. that’s what went wrong 😂
Got a thanks but no thanks response from them when I sent my resume in.

After their response I made tweaks to my resume and I think that helped me get my foot in the door at other places.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

Every time people talk about console dev, I just think, "that sounds almost as bad as the nonsense in mobile"

All gamedev is nonsense, each of us is just inured to our own little portion of hell

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

All gamedev is nonsense, each of us is just inured to our own little portion of hell

Game development as an enjoyable endeavor peaked with the Gameboy Advance.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

Oh I didn’t interview at Bungie.. that’s what went wrong 😂
Got a thanks but no thanks response from them when I sent my resume in.

After their response I made tweaks to my resume and I think that helped me get my foot in the door at other places.

Ahh gotcha, nevertheless glad you found something. The whole interview process is so stressful, even when it goes well.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Truspeaker posted:

Ahh gotcha, nevertheless glad you found something. The whole interview process is so stressful, even when it goes well.
It doesn’t have to be!

I’ve interviewed dozens and dozens of people and grown my department from 1 person to 31, and over the 7 years we’ve been going I can count the number of people who have left on one hand - and the number of people I’ve had to let go because they couldn’t do the technical part of their job on one finger. And what I’ve figured out over the years is that in the vast majority of cases you can trust people about their level of technical ability and experience and you don’t need to quiz them on it. Have an easygoing conversation about what they’ve done, what interests them, what doesn’t, what they’re looking for.

Then after the interview we schedule a 1 hour programming test that they can do from home at any time they choose, and it’s a test of their problem solving and debugging ability more than their knowledge of any given language (we offer the same test in multiple languages, though.) How they perform in this test then kicks off a discussion by email about how they approached it, what they noticed, what they would have done if they had more time, etc.

Doing things this way has given me consistent feedback about the process that it was pleasant and not stressful at all, and it scales really well - technical superstars at any level could still crumble under the pressure of an on the spot quiz or having to write pseudo code on a whiteboard, but they’re way more likely to volunteer in-depth information about a portfolio piece or project if you talk to them about the first game they played or what lead to their love of programming. Edit: and you probably don’t even need everyone to be a technical superstar - I’d rather work with diverse, dependable people who I enjoy being around than a team of technical wizards that I have to worry about personality clashes with.

This has only ever fallen down with two people, one because he was completely dishonest about his level of skill, and the other because he turned out to be hugely confrontational and “my way or the highway” once he started (but his technical ability wasn’t an issue.) And our studio is hugely profitable.

Most people are honest if you give them the chance. Putting people on the spot doesn’t help.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 29, 2022

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Bit of an odd request that I don't really expect an answer to, but does anyone know of any companies around the Tokyo area that offer any programming positions for english speakers? Having some japanese knowledge required is fine, just nothing that requires you to be fluent. All I can think of off the top of my head is Google Tokyo and 8-4 Ltd, but I'm just curious if anyone knows anything else.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Jewel posted:

Bit of an odd request that I don't really expect an answer to, but does anyone know of any companies around the Tokyo area that offer any programming positions for english speakers? Having some japanese knowledge required is fine, just nothing that requires you to be fluent. All I can think of off the top of my head is Google Tokyo and 8-4 Ltd, but I'm just curious if anyone knows anything else.

Not hugely up on where Japanese businesses have local offices. Square Enix had a small recruitment drive at GDC several years back that seems in line with what you're talking about?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Got details on my offer today.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Anyone got any suggestions for working with game industry recruiters? Or recommendations for specific recruiters to work with?

Just learned that my company is "making a pivot", which will likely involve layoffs and this seems like a good time for me to jump ship. I'm a lead producer/project manager in mobile.