Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Welp, my whole company got laid off http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/19/6waves-lolapps-layoffs/

Fortunately living in SF means I'm swarmed with recruiters, and gdc had me thinking about leaving the company anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Question about the reverse situation:

I want to program and design my game, but can't art my way out of MSPaint. I'm not looking to actually find an artist until my game is more designed and tested with programmerarts, but how hard is it to find a contract artist (in flash) for cash and no revshare?

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Chalks posted:

I hope someone tells that guy that you're not meant to put spaces before punctuation.

Anyway, I just saw this article about Zynga being sued by EA for cloning The Sims and I was wondering how much of a big deal it actually is for them, figured this was a good place to ask.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/maxis-and-electronic-arts-sue-zynga-over-the-ville/

I know they've had stuff like this before but they've always tended to clone games from really small developers that couldn't really do anything about it. It seems weird that they would choose to take on such a big franchise as The Sims. Is it as big a deal as it appears?

Well, more specifically, it's about them cloning Sims Social which, especially given the weird choice of copying Maxis's naming convention of dropping their specifier for the game (i.e. sims vs sim city; cityville to the ville) i don't know. It seems likely to me that someone will settle to avoid some nasty precedent but who knows.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
In studios with live games, tools programmers are also often involved in making tools for customer service and/or qa to use.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

androo posted:

Hey gamedev goons,

This is Thom: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/thomas-whalen/8/149/969

He's every lovely friend you had in 6th grade, but in an adult's body. Last I heard he was still lying pathologically ("my uncle works at Nintendo" type poo poo) and making up random rules to win at card games. He went to Full Sail for game design, but as far as I could tell had zero talent or passion. Always dodged gamedev questions, no Github or Stackoverflow accounts, etc.

Anyhow he was back in his hometown the other weekend and a bunch of my friends saw him. He says he's working on The Sims 4 but when my friends pressed for more info he said it was all confidential. He claimed to be in a design / development role, but his Linkedin only lists "balancing The Sims 4's systems and economy" which just sounds like "tightening the graphics on level 3" to me.

What's the read, goons? How full of poo poo is my friend?

Will confirm that is his job, that he's a pretty decent DM, and also you're being an rear end.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Chernabog posted:

Not a GDC activity, but if you like art you should check out the museum of modern art accross the convention center. I really enjoyed it despite having to rush through it in order to catch my flight.

SFMoMA is closed for remodeling until 2016. http://www.sfmoma.org/about/our_expansion/expansion_project_faq#howchange

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
I know this has come up in the past but how do those of your that use p4 and git combing the two? Git submodules? Moving code into p4? Something else?

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
I know kixeye has a guard after some incidents with insane players threatening staff.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Actually I think the guard was from earlier, differently crazy users, but was in place during the GG stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Vino posted:

The job market is just very rough right now. Lotsa layoffs, fewer openings. Early last year it was wide open, you're out there at bad timing unfortunately.

Yeah I've been looking for Unity dev work, but it seems like it's either web3 crypto companies or people wanting Unreal right now. Not super great!