Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Got offered a nice programming job yesterday :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Shalinor posted:

In happier news, the IGF finalists were announced today:

http://igf.com/2012/01/2012_independent_games_festiva_3.html

... and we're not in the list. Not exactly surprising :v: But hey, we've got a long way to go until the 2013 IGF, and by then... hey, who knows.

I got really excited becuase I thought one of the student finalsists was made by a friend of mine, but it is just something with the same name :smith:

Whatever, I've got another friend who's game is likely gonna get him his third student IGF finals and oh god I feel like such a failure compared to my friends :negative:

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

So I just finished a phone interview for an SDET position at Microsoft Games. It looks like they're going to want to fly me out there for an in person interview. Anybody have any tips for how not to screw it up?

I'm a recent CS grad, and have made lots of games for my classes, but never did any internships, so I don't know a whole lot about professional development.

PM me. I've got some stories to tell about my interview for SDET at Microsoft games.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 18, 2012

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

PM sent and thanks for the tips. Also, what book do you guys recommend for testing, if any. I've been looking at How We Test Software at Microsoft and How to Break Software, and I'm not sure if one's better than the other, or if I should even bother reading any book on testing methodology. I'm only really familiar and comfortable with unit testing, since I was a grader for a course that involved it, so I don't know really what more there is to know or what else is important to know.

Again, thanks for any help you guys can offer!

I got How to Break Software before my internship interview, and that one was pretty dense and for the most part, wasn't particularly useful for the SDET at Game Studios interview. Never read the other one, but it is probably more applicable.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

GeauxSteve posted:

I've got a call setup for tomorrow with a recruiter from Bungie. So pumped.

Tip I have heard about Bungie interviews. Code efficiency is king. If you can think of a better, but slightly more complicated way to do something, you should go with that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Diplomaticus posted:

This is why Game Jam loving owns. These guys are heroes.

My friends (of friends) made that game. The artwork they posted to facebook was great, especially out of context

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm a senior in a CS Games major, and out of the ~50 people in my year, there is only one girl.

The numbers are way higher in the year below me, and even more so in the grad programs, so it might just be bad luck with that. We had a number of girls switch to EE or straight CS freshman year, so that could be the reason.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I would suggest doing a C++ project or too. While you probably have a nice resume as it is, where you go could easily use C++. It is a nice language to be familiar with and to have good experience with.

I would also suggest trying to make of your future games 2D games in C++. If you are considering the technical side, and a CS PhD suggests that, it doesn't hurt to have more practice in it.

I would also suggest diving into OpenGL on your first major C++ project. I tried doing that last year, and gave up because OpenGL is a pain in the rear end. This year, I have been on several C++ projects that were far easier becuase we were building on existing low level work. There are other good C++ graphics engines you could use, that would take care of that side while you familiarize yourself with the nuances of C++.

Also, I'd suggest asking in the game programming mega thread in Cavern of COBOL for more opinions.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 13, 2012

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Chasiubao posted:

Hell get a job with one of the big 3 optimizing their compilers and SDK tooling :)

Please write a better SDK for the PS4. Or better Visual Studio integration

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Hopping aboard the failed Calc II train :toot:

I failed it the first time too. I retook it that summer at a community college, and did well.

Since then, I have never used it once on a single project. Linear Algebra is the one you are going to want to be good at, as you will use it constantly as a programmer, even if you are just doing gameplay stuff.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Note Block posted:

Didn't they just recently let go of their game designers? I guess they decided they DO want to make games after all? :confused:

Naw, man just have the programmers design everything. That can't possibly ever go wrong :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Orzo posted:

Normally I don't care at all what your company's name is but...

...nothing says 'awesome games' like 22 Cans

Edit: Argh, didn't see the next page.

"But it will revolutionize the way you see this many cans in the future"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Shalinor posted:

Ok, I seriously need to go to a GDC someday, and figure out what the trick is for finding THOSE parties. It seems like some of it is down to knowing who to follow on Twitter these days, but guessing there's way more to it than that.

God dammit, I knew I should have let my friends convince me to go to GDC. :negative:

I guess I will be in the bay area next year, so it will be easier to go.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So I have a question to the thread at large, specifically the Bay Area people. I'm starting a job up in Novato once I graduate (2K Sports), and I have been starting to look at moving up there. What are people's opinion of living in Marin versus in San Franciso proper?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Frown Town posted:

Valve's new employee handbook has been floating around my Facebook feed today:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.flamehaus.com%2FValve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf

Not sure if it's been linked here before. Worth a read for sure!

Firstly, I love the art in there. Secondly, I worked in Bellevue last summer and knew Valve was there. But I didn't realize they were in that building.

I still preferred Bungie's building, since it had 3 separate bars in it :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

RoboCicero posted:

I've always wanted to work as a designer, but my intuition is telling me that I should work as an engineer for a while since it opens more doors up down the line (including using the salary to do one of those self-funded start-ups where people work for a year or two and emerge, blinking, into the light with Aquaria or Super Meat Boy or what have you) than an design position, even if I'm putting off ~my dream job~ for the moment.

I think your intuition is correct. I have a friend coming out of college who turned down a design position at Rockstar to work at Zynga because of the pay difference. He knows he won't be making the kind of games he loves, but it is gonna help him pay off student debts and give him more financial freedom in the future.

I made the opposite decision, and turned down a high paying software engineering job to be a game programmer at a company I really wanted to work at. I'm in a lucky spot where the money difference didn't matter as much, but I still do second guess my self on occasion.

I will say that I think that it is generally a bad idea for a person with good programming skills to market him/herself as a designer, due to the huge pay difference, especially at junior positions.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Waterbed posted:

Preloading is hip and cool.

A retail copy might have been worth it in Irvine though.

BTW Despite all the complaining, Blizzard did a top notch job launching D3, it broke for all of 45 minutes with that many people hammering the servers. That's might impressive for a launch of that magnitude.

I think all of like, three companies could have pulled that off.

Is it bad that this whole thing is depressing me? So many people (goons included) are taking this whole thing as personal insult. I know I can handle the long hours and the crunch, but I honestly don't know if I could make it through a launch :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
One month till I start my first games job :toot:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Shalinor posted:

Yes. It has completely destroyed any joy I might get from cinematic FPSes ("look at how framed this is, it channels you to an inevitable cover here, which is then easy to fire from so there's..."), and likewise for survival horror (cheap scares are cheap).

Sometimes I will be playing a game and then just stop for a second and be in awe of the work that went into it. Some of my most memorable recent ones were just staring at the graphics in some of the scenic places in Skyrim.

And then I find myself getting killed by a dragon, and snapped out of the moment.

Also, less than a month till I start my new job :neckbeard:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm just about to join a company in that corporate tree :ohdear:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Chainclaw posted:

The Gamasutra follow up article mentions that Rockstar Toronto is hiring pretty heavily right now, and offering Vancouver people jobs, so I imagine it's problems specific to Rockstar Vancouver and not the company as a whole http://gamasutra.com/view/news/173824/Max_Payne_3_developer_Rockstar_Vancouver_closing_its_doors.php
I doubt many people are going to take the offer to relocate over 2,500 miles, though.

vvv Sales numbers seemed OK for a normal game, but for what might be one of the most expensive games ever made, any sales are going to end up seeming poor.

Thank god, I can't wait to go make some sports games

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I start my job next week :neckbeard:. I am extremely excited, I really can't wait

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Aliginge posted:

Congrats dude :D Can we nag you as to where? :)

I'm gonna be at 2K Sports. I'm gonna get paid to program sports games :woop:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

whalestory posted:

I was reading the OP and was wondering if my best bet to become a designer were to get a cs degree while making stuff on the side? I really have no clue about any of this but it seems like programming would be required wouldn't it? I'm just trying to find out as much information as I can I guess :o and it feels weird asking.

I'd say the number one rule of trying to get into the industry is to make games. I'm not sure if I would recommend CS as your route if you want to be a designer, but I have plenty of friends who went that way. It worked out well for some, and not so well for others, and the main difference between those people were how many games they made outside of class and how hard they worked in class. If you are learning programming, you are just going to learn how to program, not how to design a game. If you are motivated enough, being able to program will allow you to make more games and improve your skills. But it isn't a magic ticket into the industry, especially if you put in the minimum required effort to get by.

I enjoyed going the CS route because if I struck out on getting a job in the games industry, I still had a solid set of skills that made me hire-able.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 26, 2012

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

whalestory posted:

Ah, thanks for the responses! :blush: Also, how do degrees like say this http://games.soe.ucsc.edu/undergraduate-study look? Are there career counselors out there that can apply to game development?

I don't know about that one in particular, but some of them are pretty good. USC's design program is really good, I have heard good things about UCLA's.

While we are talking about game schools, I just wanted another excuse to post the play through video from a student game a bunch of my friends made for a class last year:

http://vimeo.com/41821010

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

waffledoodle posted:

No, but they buy decent ones that were notorious for horrible crunch, and think "I wonder how much better this game would be had it not been a management disaster?"

:eng99:

The only time I have heard someone say that programmers needed more greasy skin

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

treeboy posted:

with my current studio if I don't get OT approved by a supervisor I pretty much have to leave when my 40 is done for the week. This usually means I'm home around 5:30 on Friday, sometimes earlier. That said it's not particularly difficult to get OT approved.

:v:: "Hey I need to stick around for a couple hours and finish this."
:cop:: "Go for it!"

maybe i've just been lucky? The benefits of being associate/mid-level i guess

That sounds like how my boss explained how it is at the place I'm about to start at (Wednesday :neckbeard:). He said that overtime needs to be approved beforehand by a supervisor, and that crunch is a necessary evil that they try to prevent with good scheduling and planning.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

OneEightHundred posted:

At least you didn't name it the Source Engine.

Also the hardest problems are heap corruption, thread timing issues, and bugs caused by aliasing optimizations.

gently caress multithreaded applications, they are the worst to debug :suicide:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

DancingMachine posted:

You may have joined the wrong industry at the wrong time... :\

Oh, I know how to debug them, it is just a pain without the right tools. (They never give you the right tools while working on them in college :smith:)

Chainclaw posted:

I think the worst names for things are puns. They are kind of cute the first time, but there's only so many times you'll smile at a PhyreEngine joke. I also dislike unnecessary homophones like that, also.

It took me 2 days to realize that GooeyX, actually meant GuiX :downs:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

You may want to put your drink down before opening this link

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=1062558&page=1&pp=15

What the gently caress am I looking at? What is that man doing to his anus 3d modeling program :gonk:

Also, I just finished my first week at work :neckbeard: It was awesome once they actually started getting me work to do

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So I had the fun event of learning about a major feature of a game I am working on by reading a pre-release review of the game. The more you know :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I have a ton of friends who just recently made this choice and went with social/mobile, and they are about split in terms of their happiness. Then again, they all make way more than those of us who went into AAA, so I guess it evens out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Today was fun, we spent half of the day giggling at a video that leaked of our competitor's gameplay :laugh:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Edit: Megashark raises a good point

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 22, 2012

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
If I go to the nearest window, I can see another converted airplane hanger identical to the one I am in.

I wish I had a picture from last summer, 17 stories up looking out at Mt Ranier :)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
All my company has is a mailing list with memes. It is almost exclusively populated by our senior engineers :stare:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
My first game is getting released tonight and the early impressions are positive. Heres to another 4-5 mil copies sold this year :cheers:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

SpaceDrake posted:

Worked on NBA 2K13, I take it. :v: Or possibly RE6, but that would surprise me! (And man, the "early impressions" for RE6 are not what I would call universally positive.)

On another note, I swear to god if this thing we've been working on forever can't be announced soon you'll hear about me doing various unmentionable things with a goat on the streets of LA. This is getting rather maddening.

Yeah, NBA 2K13

And yeah, some of my friends are like that. They've been on projects for months that they can't say a single word about.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Yay, awesome release party all across SF tomorrow :toot:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
We got a copy of the game, plus on Thursday we had some kind of awesome scavenger hunt thing at Fishermans Wharf. And than a party with an open bar at some place in Golden Gate Park. Oh yeah, and a T-shirt

It really owned

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So the past couple days at work, our senior producer has several times a day caused all work to stop by doing trivia by email to win copies of Dishonored/XCom. Yesterday we had a question where we had to find the largest value of X that solved:

39! % 3X==0

Today, one of them was to guess what was the make and model of the car he was thinking of. I don't think anyone won that event.

Also, story time with senior engineers is my favorite part of work. These guy has been making games longer than I have been alive, and they have so many great stories.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 12, 2012