Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

This is a long shot, but do you know anything about what's happening at Abertay? I applied for GDPM there and I still haven't received a response to my application. Apparently there's still trouble with the Principal and Vice Principal being suspended, and all kinds of senate hearings and lawsuits flying around. I even heard a rumour at one point that they were going to shut down their games courses or merge them with Dundee College. Have you heard anything about that?

Congrats on the new office, too! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

Yeah, that was interesting. All the rumours I heard were that they were taking funding intended for other places, and funnelling it towards the games course because that was the place's USP and shining star.

I think to say it had no effect on the day to day running would be naive, there must be people who now have more on their plate than they otherwise would have had.

That, and Hobnobs. Apparently the Principal loved Hobnobs.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

The hell? This is the first I've heard of this but then again I don't own a TV or read the paper.

Oh! Well, here's some stuff on it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-12333996
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/suspension-of-abertay-principal-sparks-staff-row-1.1103333

The rumours I'd heard were that he'd put money intended for other things into the games development courses, but according to the Herald he was refusing to step down after he turned 65. Either way I'm still worried it's taking them so long to get to my application.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Smegbot posted:

scotland guy

So you're working in Dundee now? Do you know much about the courses at Abertay? I'm doing GDPM there and I'm wondering how appropriate it is for local jobs.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Smegbot posted:

Yes, I've been working in Dundee for about 3 and a half years now.

We had a producer (my producer on the 3 Buzz games in fact) that I think did the GDPM course and two intern producers that almost certainly did. The first was maybe only a year or two older than me and was a joy to work with, better than some more experienced producers I've encountered. The interns were more than capable as well and fitted in with us without any issue.

In terms of jobs in Dundee it's starting to look a bit healthier now after the redundancies and closures in the last year or so. Outplay and Tag both seem to be growing just now and there's murmurings of other new studios opening in the near future. That Abertay fund seems to be spurring a bunch of startups as well. Plus the dozens of other studios, of course.

However, I will say that of all the folk I worked with at Cohort the vast majority moved South after it closed simply because there weren't enough opportunities in Dundee. If you open yourself up to opportunities across the whole of the UK you'll probably have a much easier time than if you just focus on Dundee.

Thanks for the advice. Dundee seems alright for jobs but it's definitely pretty small. Honestly the dream would be to do some indie development before moving to an actual studio, but I'm only in second year so I'm not so sure how feasible that would be. There are definitely still some cool opportunities around here (Minecraft, for one thing!), so I'm interested in seeing what comes up next year.

(By the way, what does it take to get into QA or an internship around here?)

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Smegbot posted:

For QA as long as you're literate and aren't *mental* (see the previous list re. turning up outside offices, baked goods, etc) you should be able to find something. Most of the QA folk I've worked with were from Abertay.

Internships I think are starting to get more common up here, probably because there's so many students. The prototype fund startups might be worth keeping an eye on, one of the prerequisites for getting the cash is that they have to employ students.

Thanks, I'll keep a look out for any positions. I also might stand outside your window at night and scream "GOON SOLIDARITY" while playing Phil Collins songs on a boombox, tia!

Sigma-X posted:

e:

I don't know what this is but it's really funny.

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 29, 2011

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

I don't know why but reading this title, I have misread it like 4 times now as "Everyone related to me who wants to be a game designer is dead."

There aren't enough design jobs for everyone, you do what you gotta do :ninja:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

So my university teaches us that we should learn both, because we have a 50/50 chance of applying for a job with a studio that uses either, but I just want to settle an argument with my classmates.

Max or Maya?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

I can't do a lick of math unless I'm playing darts. Just out of interest, how important is mathematics in programming? I've never had to use any kind of mathematics above the highschool dropout level so far, but then again I've barely done any C++ and spend most of my time in Actionscript. I assume it's not as important for scripting...

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

dunkman posted:

I'm gonna go in a bloody chicken costume so that every recruiter remembers me! Yeah!

Somehow this is better than wearing a suit + fedora.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Fishbus posted:

As a designer there's nothing sweeter than a big blank whiteboard to destroy with doodles flowcharts, maps, icons and all sorts of brain churning thoughts.

If I could draw on the wall I bloody would

Turn your walls into whiteboards. Walls are constraints on creativity.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

fookolt posted:

I like how you've got a small monitor for code, and a large monitor for Steam, forum browsing, and watching movies. That's prioritizing.

Diplomaticus posted:

https://twitter.com/!/tfadp/status/185901238477537281

Stay classy Zynga employee.

-e- In case it is deleted:

Why he didn't join Zynga -- to protect his IP on his personal project.

Oh man, it continues. Notch calls Porter an insane idiot after Porter continues to poo poo talk. And anonymous sources slander the guy's work ethic.

The fact that this kind of poo poo-talking was even allowed to happen, blow up to CBS news and other media outlets, and hasn't seen an immediate "Shut your mouth right now" from management tells me something.

Wow. If he hadn't said anything most people would never have heard about the situation. Insulting developers in public really isn't doing Zynga's reputation any favours.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

It depends where you live. If you're in the countryside in the middle of nowhere, it makes perfect sense to move into the city to find a job.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Like any fad, it'll crash for a while, then build up again. Once people get bored with it they'll start hating it, then when they get bored of hating it they'll move on and leave the people who are still interested in it.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

Kickstarter is very careful to ensure that no one thinks of Kickstarter backers as investors. Kickstarter's policy on it is, it's your job to do your homework as a backer. If the budget is unreasonable or the project seems too good to be true, don't become a backer.
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backing%20a%20project#WhoIsRespForFulfThePromOfAProj
So yeah, there's nothing stopping you from taking the money and running.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's considered putting up a kickstarter with a £2 goal. "I'm going to the pub, and I really want a pint."

Unfortunately they seem to have rules against that too :(

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Somewhere, a terrorist cell was just activated.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

Here's a question that might have been asked -
I keep hearing "Consoles Are Holding Back Gaming" but, gameplay wise, is this even valid at all?

Was there ever a scenario where a gameplay feature had to be cut because it couldn't be ported to the console, thus changing the game significantly. I'm not talking about number of gibs on a zombie or quality of shadows, but situations fundamental to the game where you're saying

"We simply can't bring this to the console, and because we need feature parity on the console and the PC it needs to be cut from the PC version."

Mass Effect 2 was supposed to let you hire squadmates in any order, but since the Xbox 360 only has DVDs they couldn't fit everyone on the same disc, so they split the squadmates equally between discs so you could only get four in the first half of the game and four in the second. They could've still made them all available from the start but I guess they wanted to minimise disc swapping.

mastermind2004 posted:

I present to you my way of dealing with this problem:
cConfigUseFinalLogin
cConfigUseReallyFinalLogin
(There were also no less than 4 different layouts for the login screen)

On my class project last semester I had to reupload our final code every time we found something to change at the last minute. I went through "<name> final", "<name> final FINAL", then someone else uploaded "<name> final FINAL THIS ONE", and then I added "<name> final submission". After that I stopped uploading them and kept all the files to myself, because then I could name them whatever I wanted.

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 3, 2012

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Revitalized posted:

Now I'm imagining some chart labeled "alcohol consumption levels by position in the game industry" and some correlation to be drawn.

Are you imagining a bar chart? Cause I'm just imagining the word "Yes".

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Resource posted:

Wait wait wait, what do you think design is? ;)

Collecting GOTY awards and getting interviewed by attractive IGN reporters?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

Who has two thumbs and is eating BBQ at Richard Garriott's house? This guy.

Have you got your thumbs up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I have a really nice framed copy of APB with my name on it. It's hanging on my wall so I never forget. :allears:

EDIT: Also my transition to designer officially begins this week. Now to find a replacement.

I found one of those framed copies in the recycling centre. :(