Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shalinor posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, that I had a Big News Item to launch, ready to go. Original plan was to launch next week, Tuesday, but it got done early.

Is afternoon on a Friday a bad time for video game news? Should I still wait? Or should I press the button?

Do it on Friday.
And then also make sure that whatever game you're announcing (I'm assuming its a game :P) also make sure to post 'in progress' screenshots in the various screenshotsaturday places (reddit / twitter).

Just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Chainclaw posted:

I think the fallout from Star Command's Kickstarter is a pretty good example:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an/posts

People went nuts over how these guys spent their money, and a lot of people don't understand that Kickstarter isn't an investment.

PA Report has a big article on it:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-ugly-side-of-kickstarter-why-the-risks-in-backing-gaming-campaigns-are-

Now that people are getting "burned" by Kickstarter, the public perception is really changing directions on it.

It's also quickly becoming a sign of "you don't know what you're doing" to the press and other people. While there are some fantastic Kickstarters for video games (I think Kickstarters for things like board games are almost always amazing: the game's usually done, they just want to get a good print run in), most of the Kickstarters are just poorly done. Look at the Star Command one, they had no concept of what the cost of their rewards would be, and about a third of the money they got went right back into prize fulfillment.

Who really cares how they spend their money as long as they make good on delivering a decent product? Time will tell on Star Command. But they could have spent all their money on hookers and blow for all I care as long as the product I bought is reasonably good.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Has anyone used that resume to interviews guy in the SAMart?
I'm thinking of using it because I've sent a few resumes to some places and didn't get any hits and I felt like I met the qualifications extremely well, so it has to be something I'm saying / not saying in my resume.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Pffft you soda junkies and ex-soda junkies.
Wait until you try kicking caffeine altogether. That is the real challenge.

Soda and caffeine free for almost a year now.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Hey,
I've recently been in the process of reworking my resume and I would really appreciate any feedback I could get.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shalinor posted:

Someone I know got hired over there, and they had an extremely limited skillset. I think anyone with actual skills and a few years under their belt stands a decent chance of being hired over there.

That said...

Oh god...

KILLLLLLL IT WITH FIRE

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

NextTime000 posted:

I got a programming test from one of the jobs I applied to within the last month, but I can tell I won't meet expectations on it. now I know I can use this as a personal lesson so I can be well versed on this topic but what should I do about the company that sent it? I feel I should send them back a polite e-mail that I am not the guy for the job or something, mostly because I really don't like the idea of sending nothing back to them at all. I could try to do the test within the time-frame they gave me but I know I would just be wasting the time of whomever would be looking at it.

Unless it's something that will take several days of your time you could be spending on finding another job or if you know 100% you can't do the test then I would go through with finishing and sending it in. Otherwise, it just seems like admitting defeat without even trying.

What makes you so certain that you can't do the job based on a test they sent you? You obviously thought you could do it based on the advertised position. So why the change of heart?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Since we seem to be back in resume critique territory I would love some criticism on mine I posted several pages ago.

xgalaxy posted:

Hey,
I've recently been in the process of reworking my resume and I would really appreciate any feedback I could get.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Diplomaticus posted:

xgalaxy: This might be controversial, I'd consider putting education above experience. This should be possible if the garagegames section can be trimmed down a bit. For instance, you have several different areas that say "Developed UI." I'm not entirely sure why those aren't combined. There's "developed UI, and passed certification; developed UI and wrote scripts and game mechanics" etc. These could be combined and the elements placed in a more logical order (why is "I wrote gameplay mechanics in with UI?)

I think you could trim down some space here enough to no longer need the separation between groups. This would allow you to have education at the top, showing you have a computer science degree from a 4-year state university. This could even be put underneath your name, not in a true section with horizontal line, but in smaller text "BS '04, Computer Science, Montana State Univ." Even if you don't do either of these things you've trimmed up a bloated looking section. I'd also try and trim down what can be duplicated between Programmer and Senior Programmer at garagegames.

Reading it from the top, it bludgeons me over the head that you are a UI guy. I immediately see that you've worked in iOS. I then see that you've worked with facebook (and wonder why you only did it for a year). Under Senior Programmer for Garage Games, the first several entries are leadership, management, and production factors -- it's not until halfway through that entry that I get "OK, he works in C#/XNA. Things like "go to guy for scripting gameplay mechanics" don't really tell me a whole lot. Showing that you have talents beyond UI (such as game design/mechanics scripting/etc.) should come AFTER your main thing, not hide it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Actually with the education I didn't graduate, which is why I list it last with just the "attended" annotation on the left. I hope that is clear, as I wasn't sure what is standard practice for that. You have me worried now...

The order in which I listed everything under each title is roughly the order in which I did those things which is probably why it seems chaotic and kinda repeats in some places. But I see now that isn't very clear and I should put first what achievements / experiences I want to highlight first and any secondary things after that instead of non-specified chronological order within each section.

I guess doing so would help clean up some of the duplicates. Should I combine the two GarageGames sections? If I did what would be a good way of showing my progression from programmer to senior programmer - which is one thing I think keeping them in two distinct sections helps shows.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Akuma posted:

Some definite blowhardin' going on in this thread. Being in a mid-level or higher position and seeing a bunch of resumes doesn't mean you're suddenly the authority on resumes, it means you've probably decided what you like to see in them and not a huge amount else.

He's right, people contradict each other in these threads all the time when it comes to this and everything else. Just chill out and stop getting offended by someone that you probably see as some young upstart.

Hey, are you by chance the same Akuma that was/is a member of Tribalwar?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Diplomaticus posted:

I didn't get that at all -- typically putting a degree type (such as BS, BA, etc.) implies that you achieved the degree.

I didn't put the degree type. Just the area of study.
Thanks again for looking at it. I have some fiddling to do on it now :)

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So I had a really great phone interview with the development team of a company and got an email a couple of days later that basically said that everyone liked me and they want to continue the interview process but they can't devote the time right now to potentially hire and train a new person because they are close to shipping a product. And they would contact me later when they have the time to see if I'm still interested.

Has anyone had this kind of experience before?
I'd really love to join this company but I have other opportunities that are knocking on my door. So unfortunate :/

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
A lot of people getting jobs.

I just accepted a job offer myself. Start in two weeks.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Yea. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see schools default if it gets really bad.
Too expensive, making it too difficult on students to take or keeps loans, less students able to afford college, universities spending money like crazy on construction projects, etc. It's just a big loving disaster and its just a matter of when - not if.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 5, 2012

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I didn't buy MP3 but I watched a Let's Play of it on YouTube.
It looked really good. Production values were amazing.
I'm surprised it sold so poorly.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Most of the time we deal with terrible QA. I hate offsite QA so much.

This.
I understand and appreciate the value of good QA.
The problem is finding good QA is difficult.
Most competent people tend to move from QA into other positions such as game design.

And offsite QA is the worst.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

oswald ownenstein posted:

AAA games are stupidly cheap for the amount of hours of entertainment we get out of them

The problem is games are getting more expensive to buy and the hours you get out of them continue to drop. The majority of the single player games out now can be completed in under 8 hours. That's about $9 per hour of enjoyment which is better than a movie but I wouldn't call it cheap.

If, as I suspect, games of the "next generation" increase to $70 release price I don't think I could justify the cost to myself anymore. And I think a lot of other people feel the same way too.

It's getting too expensive on both sides of the equation.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
You need to overhaul the skills section.

- First off, things like Scaleform and Adobe Flex aren't languages, they are libraries or frameworks.

- Drop the 2 vs 3 distinction in Actionscript. They aren't different enough for people to care.

- Drop the use of 'familiar with' and 'proficient in' and things like that. Using these terms just serves to disqualify you based on your resume alone on loosely interpreted terms.

- The list of 'games modified' does not belong in the skills section at all. They should go down into the experience section, and detail what work you did for each modification. I would also create a section for each mod / product you made or contributed to somewhere in the resume. Don't just list the games you've modified - that doesn't really tell me anything. Instead tell me what you've modified for each game.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
It also depends on the social / casual studio too.
I'd rather work for Disney Playdom then Zynga for example.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Sigma-X posted:

Having a forum where you can avoid the tremendous influx of stupid newbie questions (especially HOWDO MAKE GAEMS?) seems pretty nice.

Speaking of which I keep hearing about a TCE equivalent forum for indie developers but don't know any other specifics. Anybody know?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Adraeus posted:

I'm sorry, but that's nothing. In San Diego, you can order supreme fries with carne asada (beef), adobada (pork), or pollo asado (chicken) at every taco shop. "Supreme" generally means sour cream, cheese, guacamole, and other garnish. I recently found one place where you can get any of the above items plus bacon and chipotle (smoke-dried jalapenos). These items are supposed to be appetizers for several people, but nobody eats these that way around here.

Images

Everything you said here sounds amazing except the fries part.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Adraeus posted:

You can substitute the fries with chips.

Nope. Still doesn't work.
Low carb, high fat. Everything you mentioned fits perfectly except that.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Whenever I see a salary requirement entry on a form, I always put "Negotiable" right in there.
Never had a problem.

Do not give up your position, especially not on a form they have you fill out before you even get your first phone call. You should only ever be talking salary specifics when they are actually ready to offer you the job.

And you should never, ever, put your salary on your resume.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 6, 2012

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

devilmouse posted:

Gotta ride that motivational wave. While taking time off is appealing, we were so riled up about being laid off that we were immediately talking about what we were going to build the day after. We got office space a few days later and filed incorporation papers a week after.

Heh, it's not really anything to test. It's just a goofy thing we threw together (and polished way more than we should have) so we can experience the app store process, integrating IAP/GameCenter/etc for ourselves instead of relying on company provided SDKs and dev relations people who get to push and shove people around instead of sending emails into the Apple blackhole.

Don't worry, you'll get to enjoy it soon enough!

So you are building from ground zero in ObjC instead of using a framework of some kind, like Corona, etc?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I think the Wii U is going to do better for "core" gamers than the Wii did, but that isn't a very high bar.

The latest drama regarding it is about how the triggers aren't analog or whatever and some retarded Engadget piece about how this will ruin FPS gaming on the device.

I think since its coming out so further ahead of the other next gen consoles could be either a good thing or a bad one. I haven't decided yet. Even if they had a two year head start, if they can't score good exclusives to keep the games out of the "old gen" then the two year head start won't mean much. And since the graphics abilities seem to be on par (maybe slightly worse) than 360, it will be hard to convince devs to stay exclusive.

I don't think they have a two year head start though, at best they have a year.

The new controller I'm not convinced of. The only launch game that is using it in an interesting way is ZombiU. And beyond WiiU specific virtual console games, I don't think we will see very many games allow the ability to play on the controller screen directly. Most devs will want to use that screen for gimmicky gameplay instead of providing a portable screen option. And to be honest I think the portable screen option is pretty niche need anyway. Only reason I'd want to use it is to get a nostalgia feeling when playing old games.

And then we get to the battery life of the controller. Reports are its roughly 2 hours, maybe three. With just as long recharging times. Absolutely horrible.

That said I will probably get one.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
How are people coming up with 3 month dev cycles for mobile / social games?
My experience that is far far from the truth.

Hell, Facebook social games are year long dev cycles.
Granted that's still way shorter than 3/4 year AAA, but is a far cry from 3 months.

For the record I'm at Disney. And at least here the dev cycles are way longer than three months, even for the Facebook games being done at Playdom.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Hughlander posted:

Yah, but from a friend of mine who was at Playdom, all their engineers were contractors and there was a shocked conversation as one discovered variable scoping and the other was amazed such a thing existed...

I can't speak for all the studios. There are actually 3 or 4 different Playdom locations now. And then on top of that there is Disney Mobile. Where I'm at, all development is done in-house. At least on our immediate end. Can't speak for the parts of systems that are done at HQ though that we have no real control over.

You are going to run into idiots everywhere. Shouldn't paint an entire company with a color from the experience of a single individual. Your friend must have walked into a lovely situation. And that engineer that was shocked about variable scoping was probably a flash designer turned "programmer" who has been working in ActionScript his entire life where the variable scoping rules are hosed up.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 17, 2012

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a good, comprehensive article on simulation/motion/sea sickness, and how it relates to games? I need to share it with every single developer I can.

I feel like in this era of mouse smoothing, post processing, quadruple buffering, there are more and more games I just can't play. Batman Arkham Asylum and Battlefield 3 are two games I've tried playing most recently that I just can't, I get really sick from them. It's not that I can't play 3rd person games and shooters, Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online, and Dark Souls don't cause me any problems, so it's clearly poor practices on the developers end for Batman AA and Battlefield 3.

I'm also bringing this up here because hopefully I can get more of you guys thinking about it, I hate staring at Batman on my Steam list, unable to play it.

To this day, I still can not complete Half Life 2.
I get crushing headaches when playing that game.

Whats weird, is I have the same problem with TF2 and Portal 1/2.

Something Valve is doing with those games gives me a loving headache.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Brackhar posted:

ZOMG a Rioter on SA I don't know! Crazy times.

I applied at Riot once and it was a horrible experience.
Whoever is the hiring manager there needs to be fired (maybe he already was).

I applied as a programmer, and had to take a test on that horrific site Codality or whatever it was, and then the hiring manager had me take a design test, but I wasn't applying to be a designer and I got critiqued by one of the lead designers there on how I was okay but not great and I'm not what they were looking for at which point I politely informed him I was applying for a programming position. So then I get sent back to the hiring manager and he lost my Codality test and wants me to take another.

I basically gave up at that point because I was tired of the incompetence.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Adraeus posted:

When I interviewed Ray Muzkya and Greg Zeschuk about the history of BioWare prior to their departure, I asked them what they thought about the criticism that EA is destroying BioWare. Ray said, "BioWare is EA. [...] We're not separate from EA. We are EA. But we are BioWare at the same time, too."

I saw this quote before and I just gotta say, what did you expect them to do? Trash talk the company? Of course they arent going to tell you what they really think. I hate stupid setup questions like the above.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I don't see unions as an answer either. Although I mostly disagree with a lot of the reasons being stated about why they are against it. Most of it is ignorance and FUD with no real truth to it. No offense intended.

I think one big issue, personally, is better education about the industry, and working as an adult in general, to those who want to become a part of it. Too many bright eyed idiots willing to be poo poo on just to get a seat at the table. A large part of it, as was mentioned earlier, is the industry needs to mature a bit.

Another part of it is companies in general have forgotten how to treat their employees well and stop making GBS threads on its workers because they can. This is an issue that effects our entire society, not just the games industry.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Wow lot more Disney people here than I expected.
What's up fellow Disney buddies ;)

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I always make them throw out a figure first.
I've found they are usually right where I was thinking or higher.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The obvious difference is that steam is 25m dedicated gamers. Microsoft is 35m of who the gently caress knows if a lot of them even open the store.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shalinor posted:

That's right, and it's also bullshit thinking if you want to succeed as an indie.

Indies that make it big do so by getting into markets early. That doesn't mean investing a ton of effort into them, but it does mean taking calculated risks. I wouldn't advise you list your game in every download shop on the web, but Microsoft's app store is perhaps a bit more likely to succeed / worthy of a bit of experimenting. They have too much riding on it to let it be an instant failure.

If you wait until a market is established and a guaranteed bet, it's already dominated by the bigger players.

You also have to weigh the costs of getting into a market too.
So lets take a look at the Microsoft App Store:

1) Have to pay a yearly development license.
Okay. That's fine. You have to do the same with Apple too. They both also take a percentage.
This is all pretty typical.

2) Have to use the new Windows SDKs and API
Okay, so this basically shuts out backwards compatibility with XP, Vista, and 7, unless I'm willing to come up with a good platform abstraction layer.
I guess that's not too hard if I was also planning on releasing for other platforms already. But it is still going to require time and investment.

3) DirectX only. Microsoft App Store doesn't allow OpenGL
If your game was Windows only to begin with, then maybe this isn't a big deal, especially if you started with DirectX in the first place.
Otherwise, you incur even more development time and investment.

I'm not a fan so far...

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

devilmouse posted:

Though I'm curious to see how easy (or not) it is to develop without having a dedicated devkit for self-published stuff.

My suspicion is that the self publish route for PSN will be C# based.
They released their Vita sdks not too long ago, and that is all C#.
More established studios will probably get access a C++ sdk, but for a higher fee.

Also, I would expect to see Unity / Mono announcements for this platform somewhere between now and GDC.

Already starting:
http://paradox3d.net/blog/direct3d11-ps4.html

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 21, 2013

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
XBLIG system was not awesome actually.
There are a number of well written articles on the subject.
It just needs to be a straight up App Store with some sort of official cert. like the Apple Store or Windows Phone store. No peer review bullshit like XBLIG.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

DancingMachine posted:

I can't even fathom how somebody could prefer Apple's cert process to peer review. :stare:

Visual Studio Express + XNA + peer review was great. The store just sucked and was buried to boot.

In any case my point is discoverability for indie games is key, and we probably won't really know how well it was done until months after launch.

I'm sorry but the XBLIG peer review system is a joke. But I agree with you that the store sucked too.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ThomasSteinke/20130202/185921/What_went_wrong_with_XNAXBLIG.php
http://ilikecode.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/stupid-stupid-xbox/

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
His argument also basically boils down to lemmings psychology.
"Everyone else is happy jumping off a bridge guys, why aren't you?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So what is going on over at Epic?
Mike Capps left the advisory board, from which he recently retired to.