Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Serious Frolicking posted:

I like how even with their awesome, high speed, well-coordinated aerial combat style and fairly dumb opponents, it is all still only marginally effective.
It's hard to tell in manga format but the titans seem to be pretty fast in their own right, considering they have a fairly good record of catching soldiers in midair.

Also drat Mikasa owns.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
As cool as Mikasa is it is pretty funny that her superhuman skill is implied to come from being the last half-Japanese person on Earth. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Probably not. Generally all but the most popular manga only have a single scanlator working on them, because unlike anime shows there's a million of them.

But anyway I think the scout legion discussion basically boiled down to "I want to join the scout legion and be a giant-fighting badass" and then "are you stupid? They pretty much ride out and get slaughtered every single time."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 5, 2011

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In fact they even made a point about how they developed those big scattershot cannons that sometimes do enough damage to the neck to kill a titan when hitting them from the front, but not consistently enough to rely on them.

And there are a fuckton of titans. Once they can get at you they just keep coming.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The male:female ratio is pretty interesting because it hints that the population the giants are created from is mostly male, which makes me think criminals.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This is one of the greatest expressions I've ever seen: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/12/17

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wait, so is the implication that the scout commander suspected that there was one or more other intelligent titans infiltrating his forces, and gave everyone different fake Eren locations to try and figure out who it is? Because that's what I got from that scene.

I actually assumed that the intelligent titan was Christa until she apparently showed up in human form while the titan was rampaging elsewhere. Do we even know any other blond women it could be?

Also, Titan Science Lady owns.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

ArchDemon posted:

Also, all scouting legion members: strap yourself with explosives, seriously.
From the government's perspective that's a waste of valuable explosives. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They probably just sit/lie down.

It makes sense. If the giants hunted 24/7 then going scouting further than a day's travel outside the walls would be complete suicide instead of only mostly suicide.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd let this thread go unnoticed until I saw it linked from the Finer Arts sticky in GBS. From reading the first chapter, it looks like the artist...isn't very good, he's not HORRIBLE, but his human characters are in a really, really rough style. I hope that he refines his style over the course of the series(similar to how Arakawa and Oda significantly evolved theirs over the years), because it is an interesting concept, and I'll be reading more most definitely! Avoiding reading the rest of the thread until I catch up.

edit: 9 chapters in and this is pretty incredible, really REALLY rough artwork but honestly, it's such a fresh concept that it's forgivable. I do also think it's hilarious that they tried to get something like this put in Shonen Jump.
He is bad at drawing people but good at unsettlingly twisted near-human giants and action. Creating a story that played to his strengths so well was a stroke of genius. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Science woman is the greatest.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Goddamn, Rivaille and Mikasa. :black101:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

Why the poo poo did they reveal their hand? She's still in human form, loving stab her in the face why are you telling her you know stab her in the faaaaaaaace :argh:
The transformation is practically instantaneous so that wouldn't help, and if they keep her talking she might let something important slip.

Trying to lure her underground where she couldn't transform was a great idea though (remember the giants are solar powered). Too bad she caught on.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 10, 2012

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It also explains why they don't eat anything but humans and don't actually digest the humans they eat. :science:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I really want to read this. The Blame! highschool spinoff was hilarious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Goddamn Mikasa you are one ice cold mother fucker.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, all he really needs is some kung-fu training. It wouldn't take much to justify him getting better.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That was a very interesting series of events because it implies that there are at least two factions of titans, considering one has active infiltrators in the human military and the other isn't even aware of what language humans speak.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

quote:

“What manga do you recommend right now?”

ISA: All-rounder Meguru and Iron Wind!!
This guy. This guy has good taste. (Iron Wind is the translation of Teppu.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
We don't know for sure that the people in the walls are "all of humanity." In fact it seems pretty unlikely.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I pretty much rely on this thread to remind me who most of the cast is.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, where'd that come from? Nihei has multiple finished mangas under his belt.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

That was amazing dropping the revelation in a small bubble in the corner was such a great way of doing it. It pretty gives you the same mental skip that you would if you heard that in real life. It takes you a second to actually understand what they were saying.
This is my favorite part. My brain practically record-scratched because it wasn't dropped on a full-page panel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm guessing the tunnel thing was something that had been discussed as a worst-case scenario in the past, though. There really is nothing physically preventing titans from doing just that.
Yes there is. They shut down without sunlight, remember.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Attack on Titan Thread: Giant MMA League
And they say BJJ doesn't work. :colbert:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wow I had completely forgotten that was where the armored titan first turned up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Ah, Kyojin's sizable fujoshi fanbase shows its power.
Why would they all vote for Rivaille?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Titans are actually composed of flan. That's why their density is so low!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was wondering what that other guy was talking about when he said "MMA Mikasa."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Titans decay very rapidly after dying and nobody ever found a way to preserve them, if I recall correctly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Reiner is drawn like a giant and I'm taller than he is.
:v:

I had to resist the urge to post "Reiner is a tank and Bertholdt is a giant compared to everyone else" because that would probably be probation-worthy, but I guess this is subtle enough to pass.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

Also isn't the blonde hair of the female titan going to be a big giveaway?
I expect anime people to figure her out almost immediately. I had completely forgotten who Annie was when her titan form showed up, in a weekly anime it'll be a lot easier to remember her and notice how similar the hair is.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 7, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In fairness, I don't think that guy has ever posted in this thread, so he might just think it's really obvious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
And Armin is a close second.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think she laughed in the manga too, but it was off-panel and the sounds were untranslated so I never realized it before.

EDIT: ^^^^ She makes a pretty crazy face in the manga too. It seems true to the art style.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 15, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

Crunchyroll article about the end cards, which are mostly awesome, but then you get to the incredibly out of place last one. Since it's an older article it's missing the one of the main girls all in wedding dresses and a few others.
Sasha's VA's is by far the best.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If only we could build some kind of...obstacles...to keep them out. Three of them, maybe...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Who's that on the carrousel?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Last time she only escaped because there were titans who could reach her. This time there wasn't, they just underestimated how many restraints they needed.

Of course, if they knew they were in a work of fiction they would have known not to tempt the rules of drama, but they don't.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, human titans heal quicker and better than normal humans, but not that fast and they don't shoot steam out while they do it. I'm almost certain that was intended to be Annie's blood evaporating.