Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its kinda silly but its my biggest annoyance with the ending: 80% of the world stomped would cause a mass extinction event as bad as a nuclear apocalypse or a big rear end meteor.

Most of the life in the world would die, the global climate would change dramatically, and people would not be able to just keep on living in Paradis like nothing happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Staltran posted:

This is just nonsense lol. Do you really think GRRM's original 3-book plan just had "???Ending???" pencilled in? And hardly "everybody" dies in ASOS. Robb Stark, Catelyn Stark (got rezzed at the end of the book), Sandor Clegane fakeout, Balon Greyjoy, Jeor Mormont? Only one of those is a POV character, and Mormont and Balon basically existed to die. Plus just lmao if you think the Red Wedding wasn't planned from the start. GRRM's problem isn't that he had no plan, it's that he let the books bloat out of control instead of sticking to it.

I do believe he had a some plan, but that didint cover all the details and that he never had a clear, complete, idea of what to do with them ice zombies. And than that plan got broken anyway since he didint followed it and so he decides to go wondering with the story in every direction after book 3 and it became really hard to find the way back to what was left of that plan again (which is why he is not writing anymore)

Didint GRRM said himself once that he dont plan everything beforehand and prefers to let the story lead him or something?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 21, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Monaghan posted:

The cop out of Eren being able to see the future was the absolute loving worst and by far the worst part of the series for me. It ruins any question about Eren's plan because, after all, he could see the future and knew it would work. Genocide was really the only option! Any issuses about dumb or immoral choices get instantly hand waived away.

I dont think thats true

The way I understand, is not like he could see every possible future. He could see the future he set in motion and the result of his plan, and he was okay with that result. Because he is a broken psychopath whose motivation was always "Im going to kill all the enemies and protect my friends". And he saw that his plan did ensure that his friends would mostly survive and the enemies of Paradis would be too broken to threaten them

One could argue that killing 80% of all people outside of the island instead of 100% was a compromise on Eren's part, a compromise imposed by his last figment of humanity or something, and thats what I think the ending was going for. The fact that his friends (and maybe the author) seemed to think that was reasonable enough is what felt so wrong for me on the ending

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 21, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

tbp posted:

oh for sure, but i thought the audience was meant to read it as a tragedy, too. that eren didn't want this at all, he could genuinely not control himself (particularly once he ended up in the coordinate), things were moving without his direct input. and we're supposed to understand this as the good in the world losing. the cycle of hatred was too bad and created a monster that couldn't be caged back in. at no real point in the story did i come away thinking "isayama wants me to think that there are some positives from the rumbling", i sincerely took it as being a complete failure on every character's part to prevent this.

i thought this was sorta reinforced too by having the only big cheerleaders of it all be people that are like, snivelling little cowards interested only in power. when all the Worst Guys like an idea, i presume i'm supposed to not like it (from an authorial POV). so i guess i dont have a big problem with the morality of the ending because my current read really does begin and end with "even eren is tragically depressed that this happened, but he genuinely could do nothing to stop it"

i dont quite know if that's the "right" reading though, because the metaphysical time travel stuff does sincerely confuse me

Except we have the good guys, like Armin, also apparently approving this solution, after the fact, which seems to me to indicate the author expects the readers to feel the same (but who knows)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

In It For The Tank posted:

So many of the problems with the ending arise from ideas introduced in 139. I have my problems with preceding chapters but 139 muddies the waters for what was already well established for seemingly no reason* to the point where it feels (to me) incongruent with the rest of the story.

Eren's motivations for Rumbling were clearly laid out in 130/131. Eren is motivated by three things:
- The safety of Paradis and its people
- The safety of his friends and family
- The selfish desire to see the world portrayed in Armin's book (i.e. empty)

1 and 2 could theoretically be achieved by peace (albeit it is incredibly unlikely), but 3 is only possible through the eradication of every person outside of Paradis. Eren knows this, and recognizes it is monstrous, but commits to the Rumbling - not because he is controlled by his future or whatever but because he wants to. This is why he breaks down while talking to Ramzi and apologizes; Eren knows he is killing him by choice.

* Well, really, the reason is to exonerate Eren. Maybe it's because of editor meddling, maybe Isayama got cold feet, maybe it was marketing concerns about selling merch of unrepentent genocider, but so much of 139 is about absolving Eren of what he did and making his actions more palatable. "He planned to lose... He only killed 80%... He wasn't really in control (the Founder messed with his head!)... Look, Armin is thanking him... Wow, so are the rest of the cast..."

Thats a pretty good post and I mostly agree with it

Except I dont think achieving peace without a full rumbling was that unlikely.

For example Eren could have done a partial rumbling just to wipe the armies around Paradis and than kept the wall titans as deterrent against further attacks on the island, while they use diplomacy to try to defuse the situation. I think Armin himself suggested something like this

The only downside here is that titans would still exist and, more importantly for Eren, probably, his titan friends would still die after their time limit. Still, a better outcome for the whole world

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing that was the dealbreaker for Eren was Historia being turned into a Titan. He specifically calls it out as his one big line. Which is one of the things that makes me entirely convinced that Isayama was planning to have him be the father.

I completely forgot that

Mirello posted:

rofl dude, did you read the extra pages in the end? eren/floch literally are right. Paradis is destroyed, they are genocided. This is within the logic of the story. it was kill or be killed. Marley already unprovoked killed half the people on the island, demonized them, and attempted to kill all of them. it's not a hypothetical. I can't post in the other thread anymore without saying any spoilers, but at least here I can say it.

Eren genocided the whole world, not only Marley.

And yeah, no. They werent right

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I can understand why Eren did it alright. And I was telling that it was going to happen like 20 chapters before the ending because it was the only thing that made sense for Eren as a character (only I thought he would be stopped somehow and never expected his friends thanking him for it)

But thats not the same as "lol Eren was right " though

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

quote:

I had said I was going to do something about it. I think we were talking about this as something that has nothing to do with Shingeki no Kyojin. I remember that story. This last chapter sparked controversy, as some criticized it for “supporting genocide.” Of course, I didn’t mean to condone the on-site massacre at all, and Isayama-san was quite worried about it, but I told him, “This could be a really good thing. Compared to a real war, where a lot of people die, and only then do people think “genocide is not good”, when you read Shingeki no Kyojin and say “this is a pro-genocide manga” and feel bad about it, then the same message was conveyed to you, but without the need for anyone to die in real life

? ? ?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The real genocide is the friends we made along the way

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

No Wave posted:

I can live with the ending except the 80% thing. 80%????? Why did it even have to go above 5%?

I think the idea was protecting Paradis, otherwise they would be wiped out of existence has soon has the rumbling was stopped. With 80% of the world destroyed, no payback is going to be possible

My problem with the 80% is that, if that much of the world was stomped, it seems unlikely that enough of the planet ecosystem would survive for it still be habitable by humans, even in Paradis

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Conspiratiorist posted:

This point keeps coming back but the combined ecologic impact of the Rumbling is peanuts to what we've done in the real world over the past century. Hell, we do more damage to the ocean daily.

I'm not do sure about that. All forests would be wiped, most animals outside the oceans would die

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, the way I see it, the rumbling would have to be like carpet bombing the entire earth.

And yeah, we have been making a lot of damage over the last few centuries, but still I think something like the rumbling would necessarily do s lot more. And in a lot less time too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Teek posted:

Hahah, true. Well they greatly extended Armin and Eren’s convo and had Armin tearing into Eren’s rear end for a few minutes. So I would say, yeah, Isayama acknowledged he dropped the ball there. lol

The “We’ll see each other again in hell.” Is both pretty metal and hilarious.

So no thank you for your genocide?