Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Vengarr posted:

Look at this loving panel:

It's like a wounded puppy.

Nonono! After the wounded-puppy eyes! The intense bread eating eyes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Which chapter has Sasha doing the "Potato Girl" routine? I've been trying to find it, without much success.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yes! Thank you!!

You know, I think she's making that face because she thinks she tricked him into believing it was half, when she only gave him about a fifth or a sixth of it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So Hajime Isayama was asked to help promote a new romance manga by drawing a little advertisement illustration on the ... I guess it's a dust jacket? Guess what he drew.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pensive posted:

Isayama is the best. Didn't anyone learn anything from when he was asked to draw "Mikasa in a bikini" for the front cover of a magazine? Knowing what was asked for makes seeing buffed up MMA fighter Mikasa standing next to generic waifish animé girl crack me up every time.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Popo posted:

Isayama is just great. Just looking at his rejected manga volume covers shows you how much he wants to make an MMA series starring Mikasa. I'm ready to bet anything that's what his next series will be in 5 years time.

Where'd you find those?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Popo posted:

Just reading through the manga on Batato at the end of random chapters.
Trying to find some now because they aren't at the ends of volumes or chapters where you'd think they would be.

Here's the main one. There are, I think, two more in this vein

Just browse through the chapters and there's a bunch of odd little extras.

Oh man! Just imagine Mikasa vs. Natsuo from Teppu. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

About that-- I figure people default to the "Southern country accent" because most translations are done by Americans. I just wonder what'd it be like if most translators were British? What kind of accent would they use? Chav-speak? Geordie accents?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

You will never find someone in Cali saying 'y'all', because they would be laughed at.

What, you mean black people don't live in California? :colbert:

Naw, I get what you mean. It's okay. :shobon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

You have no idea how good we have it with AOT. If this was Naruto or Bleach or something we'd still be in the training chapters. Or it would have gone horribly off the rails somehow.

If this was Battle Angel Alita we'd still be in ZOTT! :suicide:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What would he rope onto? :confused:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This will all end when they open the Imperial crypt at Shuwa and kill the sentient telepathic blob covered in scriptures that lives inside.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Obviously, the human-titans are just titans that ate the Human Human fruit.
Ok, I'll stop making bad One Piece references...

I'm still not sure how the humans and titans are related, but I say that I am glad that when I saw Eren turn into a titan and thought this show was going to take a turn for the worst of shounen, that it still managed to stay quite entertaining.

The fact that there is something in Eren's dad's basement is interesting. He has some kind of knowledge that no one else seems to. I'm interested in how he obtained it. I bet his basement has some kind of titan-creating facilities where he built Eren. There will be some kind of giant tube with half a titan being formed or whatever and other cliche science things.

There is an orangutan in a cage in there. Turns out, orangutan blood turns people into giants! Go figure! The monkey Titan is simply searching for its young.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What's more implausible to me is how they could've built a 50m wall around an area the size of Germany with a population of only about a million people, using 17th-early 19th century era technology.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

The question of constructing the walls has been answered, hasn't it? The walls consist of Titans. They shut down if they aren't exposed to sunlight

Oh yes! That's right, I somehow had the most bizarre lapse of memory about that! Strange considering it's one of the more important points. Serves me right for posting right after I'd just woke up in the morning!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I thought the Wall radii were set to be 33% each if I remember that one commercial break panel in the anime. It's in the manga somewhere, too.

Though there appears to be some discrepancies, especially when shown overhead or something.

The walls are incredibly long, how could they have had enough colossal titans to build all those walls?

Is the "250 km" figure here the assumed radius of the outermost wall? Assuming it is, we can do some basic math to figure this out. A radius of 250 km gives us a circumference of about 1570 km. However, if we go by the statement that it is "about the size of Germany", the figure for Germany's border is 3621 km.

Judging by the known height of the wall, 50 m, we can make an estimation of the size of the average Colossal titan. We see this in chapter 2.

Assuming that the Colossal titan is about 57 m tall (let's just round up to 60 to make life easier) based on the height of his head in comparison to the height of the wall and the size of the various features, we can look at the length of his arms (again, in the shot from behind in chapter 2). We see that his arms are approximately 1/3rd of his height, or about 20 m long.

So, assuming that the typical 50 m Colossal Titan has arms 1/3rd of its height, we get an average length of about 17 m. The average shoulder distance, again looking at the Colossal Titan's proportions, seems to be a little bit over half the length of the arms-- say about 10 m.

Thus, were a Colossal Titan to stand with its arms out, he'd reach a total of 17 + 17 + 10 m = 44 m.

Hence, given: 1,570,000 m of wall / 44 m per Titan = 35,682 titans.

If we go by the "Germany" figure, it turns out to be: 82,295 titans.

If we decide that the Titans were standing shoulder-to-shoulder, this figure becomes 157,000 and 362,100 titans, respectively.

So, all in all, you'd need to turn somewhere between 35,000 to 350,000 people into Colossal titans in order to build the wall, depending on whether or not the Titans were standing shoulder-to-shoulder or sticking their arms out. This is potentially feasible for a human civilization numbering in the millions. It's not entirely inconceivable!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 11, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Slime posted:

You're seriously reaching. If titans in human form were very dense, it would have been noticed a long time ago. Nothing so far has shown them to be noticeably more dense than an ordinary human. If they inflated they'd still weight as much as a human, and thus be incredibly bad at stomping people on account of the weight of a human being distributed over a large surface area.

Also this isn't FMA so it probably doesn't work under those rules.

This is one thing that never sat right with me, because if supposedly Titans are so light, how would Reiner and Bertolt have been able to bust holes in the wall?

This would only make sense if human-transformed-titans could get extra mass from somewhere else (say, the ground, or the air around them) in order to account for the great momentum that they would need to be able to kick a hole in the wall or barrel through it like a cannonball.

Which, following the chain of reasoning through to the end, would imply that human-transformed-titans are qualitatively different from normal titans.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

drat it knew titans are humans. I just started reading again and just caught up. I think the creation/evolution of titans is something like:
Human > Titan > Deviant Titan > Warrior Titan (eg Eren). Eating humans while you're a mindless titan probably has something to do with your transformation. Maybe it's like Hollows in Bleach, a Menos is made from many Hollows.

Something I don't understand is why the Warrior Titans are at war with humanity? My guess is they're not at war with humanity per say, they're probably at war with the Royal Jackasses/Cult. Probably because they were enslaving the Titans (using them as building materials maybe? Borrowing from Captain Invictus here) for centuries before a revolt took place and humanity was pushed back. .

Overall, I love this manga. Can you buy it yet?

You sure can! According to Amazon.com, it's released up to Volume 5 in English.

AnonSpore posted:

The ability to become a titan is obviously governed by the concentration of midichlorians in your bloodstream

And when undergoing transformation Titans gain extra mass by absorbing spiritrons from their surroundings.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think that there's two origins for Titans. The "original" titans, like the Ape Titan, are invaders from outer space, or from an alternate dimension of some sort. And then there's "human-created titans" like Eren and the like, who were developed sometime after the original titans appeared, possibly based on original titan DNA, as a way of combating or controlling "titanification".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Reading this manga, was anyone else somewhat reminded of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game? Training of children and young teens to be child-soldiers, the omnipresent (supposedly) mindless enemy, Armin kind of reminds me of Bean. It's not really that great of a comparison, but the themes are kind of reminiscent.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What if Mikasa is actually like a human-sized "Titan" of sorts? Kind of like one of those humanoid Cylons (or perhaps more aptly, Replicants) that are in many ways physically superior to, but indistinguishable from a real human.

It'd be :japan: as hell, but so is the idea of "pilotable" Titans, and that idea was executed rather well.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Why, her being a cyborg isn't so far-fetched. She already fairly resembles another well-known cyborg who uses extremely sharp unconventional swords to defeat foes much larger than her. Why, soon enough she'll be sprouting Titan Blades from her arms instead of using those pesky exacto-swords. It all fits, you see!

Eren's father is actually Desty Nova. The basement is full of failed human/titan hybrid monstrosities, forever clamoring for release from their eternal torment. We are all doomed. :gonk:

v- That was me, I think. :blush: -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 3, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

The fact that people ever thought Hanji was a dude is actually baffling to me.

Yeah, I always thought it was really cool and progressive to have the freaky/brilliant mad-scientist type character be a woman. Way to break the mold!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that scene now. And since I binged through the manga, I was a bit confused since there it's hinted he's gay, but recent stuff suggests he's straight. I like your idea that it's part of his split personality thing.

Obviously Reiner's into dudes when he's human, and a ladies' man when he's a titan! :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hajime Isayama was asked to draw Mikasa as an idol.

"Everyone!! Are we all having fun??!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hajime Isayama was asked to draw a cover for some manga and made a joke out of it, right? Anyone know the context behind/have an image of that cove available?

Ah yes, that. It was this. He was asked to help promote a new romance manga by drawing a little advertisement illustration on the dust jacket. Apparently the author was a friend of his.

EDIT:

Some fanart someone drew of the titans.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 7, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

To be fair, bumping your shin on something like that really does hurt something awful!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Attack on Ti T-ON.

Looks like they got a different artist entirely to draw this fake preview. Also, Idol-Mikasa jump-kicking never fails to bring a smile to my face.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In my mind, I'd always chalked up Bertholdt and Reiner's motivation as being some plan they hatched as kids, thinking it'd be a pretty sweet/hilarious thing to do. Also, that Titans were caused by aliens dicking around with humanity for unknown reasons, and that the Titans and humans are locked into some kind of cycle on a scale much longer than 100 years.

Basically everything is just one hosed-up, massive game designed solely to produce human suffering.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I've mentioned this before, but everything about the way at least Reiner has been presented has seemed to point towards his character (and presumably by proxy Bertholdt) being reasonable and sympathetic, so I'm still expecting some sort of understandable motive behind his/Bertholdt's actions. It may be hard to imagine such an action being excusable, but (as I've also mentioned before) far more civilians have been killed in actual real-world wars by the side that we retrospectively consider the right/morally justified one.

I don't believe him! He and Bert managed to keep the fact that they're titans from their comrades, and even inflict unimaginable suffering on their fellow humans (if they truly are, in fact, humans). I think that the "breakdown" that Bert has in this chapter is just an act, or another facade of some sort, or he himself is being deceived.

Though, rereading it, he does seem to have a heart-to-heart talk with Ymir before the others arrived, so perhaps the third option is likelier.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 12, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Reiner's been kinda bad at hiding his emotions and he's had multiple previous conflicts with himself, so I don't think at least he is lying, and I think the last option, that of themselves being deceived, is the most likely one. It's not like that doesn't happen in actual war all the time or anything, soldiers being deceived into doing horrible things for "the greater good" or what-have-you!

Yeah, I don't think any of them will be able to get away with the "I was just following orders" defense. They are culpable, and whatever their assertions otherwise, they still made the decision to genocide thousands of people.

That aside, I found myself reflecting upon how easily I came to the idea that they could possibly not be humans at all, working for some sort of faction outside the wall. It occured to me that, had the writer been American, it'd have easily become a "War on Terror" allegory, with people raising suspicions and accusing each other -- "Anyone could be a Secret Titan!! :supaburn:"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

It's a military state that created a religion to help suppress knowledge it's safe to say they gave everything pretty well locked down. We don't even know if anybody but the wall cult/inner circle was around for the walls to be built it might have been a case of "Oh hey titans, whelp good thing we have built this convenient titian-proof walled area come on in. Why'd we build it? Oops looks like your paperwork was misfiled you'll have to wait outside the wall until we clear that up."

This is making me imagine a Titan-themed version of that new game Papers, Please?.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

Hah, all the SnK Doujin that on Batoto right now are Ymir/Christa Shojo Ai:

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shingeki-no-kyojin-song-of-prayer-dedicated-to-you-doujinshi-r9805
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shingeki-no-kyojin-princess-bride-doujinshi-r9795

Both are mushy pointless poo poo. I wish somebody would come up with a plausible side story with some action.

Hey, now that you mentioned it, I had the idea the other day of drawing a short story about a plucky little town of folks who are "left behind" to defend themselves when Wall Maria is evacuated. Would anyone in this thread be interested in seeing that?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What if it turns out that there's a really :geno: old man living peacefully out in the forest somewhere and they learn from him that Titans will stop trying to catch you and eat you once you stop caring about them so much?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I bet Hajime Isayama is just rolling with all of these spinoffs and other stuff and thinks it's all completely hilarious.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Admittedly, she's already got a knack for causing people to deify her. Now she just needs to find a way to use her worshippers to gain her power.

So Historia is basically Buggy from One Piece.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

I wonder when it'll be Mikasa's turn for some character development.

She'll become more and more of a murdergoddess and less and less human during the upcoming 13-volume tournament arc.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:haw: I'm gonna be the Titan King!! :haw:

"My treasure? It's yours if you want it. I left it all in one basement." :zoro:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

Add me to the list of "People Eating Their Words About Armin". :aaa:

The captions read (to my half-assed Japanese), top to bottom:

"This is the published, just-right 'Sicko Armin' face"

"This is the pre-revision, over-the-top 'Sicko Armin' face"

"What am I gonna do with this 'Sicko Armin' face?"

I actually agree with the decision to redraw his face. The original is just a bit too over the top, it crosses the line into farce. The published version is a bit more restrained, which makes it just the right amount of creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Genocyber posted:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/qKYZdr1.jpg

Good lord Mikasa's spine is doing the loop de loop!

Yeah, this is probably one of the most egregious examples of the "Girl is twisting such that you can see her boobs and rear end at the same time" pose, AKA the Hawkeye Initiative pose, I've ever seen.

Also, I love that Connie's playing the tambourine. It's so fitting. :allears: