Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Allright so let's recap then:

Colossal Titan: Probably has a human in it.
Gatecrasher Titan: Probably has a human in it.
Other Titans: Most likely don't have humans in them, unless we want to make this even more depressing.

The actions of the Colossal Titan would seem to be that of either a general, signalling this assault for his soldiers but never actually engaging, and a researcher, studying the reactions of the humans. Because he has a set purpose in attacking the sole weak-points in the walls, those being the gates, we can assume he has, if not some sort of intelligence of his own, then at least the ability to follow or conceive specific instructions. He also attacks Eren, but doesn't seem consumed by the need to destroy humans by devouring them that other titans have. Nor does the Gatecrasher Titan, who simply appeared in a furious charge to destroy wall Maria before assumedly dissapearing, and seems to be the only one capable of doing so. So we can assume, having seen how these two work in tandem to complete their mission of destroying the outer civilization that there is some form of either master intelligence behind them, or they are evolving into a race capable of some form of intelligence.

Either way it was probably a good choice on the authors behalf not to actually delve to deeply into the first appearance of the titans yet, because I don't buy for a second the conceit that a post-industrial world of humans would have problems vanquishing the 8-15 footers, unless there was some military or nation helping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

No, the Colossal Titan is the big one. The Gatecrasher is the smaller one that charges through the gate as everyone is evacuating. It's actually referred to as the more pressing danger because it can smash through the stronger walls, as opposed to merely the gates.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/2/28

It's referred to later as a distinct creature from the larger one, who obviously gets more screen time devoted to him.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Zorak posted:

Except we've seen them carved open at that point without any human inside.

Have we actually though? We've seen people like Mikasa and the Lieutenant slash off a large junk of muscle and sinew there, but we've never focused more than that. Looking at how Eren was stuck in there so securely, it's hardly likely we'd see an arm or limb flailing about, and we're not likely to see a Titan to dissect for a while considering they disappear so quickly.

In all likelihood it's probably going to be a rather major reveal later in the manga, and there's no reason for the author to do anything other than tease the idea like he has with Eren.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Zorak is watching over this with goodwill and grace so I wouldn't worry

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Elysiume posted:

Based on other infrequent manga, there would be intermittent posts of "there's no update, sorry, but [news]."

Actually, now I'm curious. The HxH thread appears to have died. How long until others follow suit?

It's been literally a year since that thing updated. If this ever falls that far behind people will just forget about it and it'll be a pleasant surprise when it reappears.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

How does a blush look when there are no capillaries or epidermis?

Bleeding profusely over naked, pulsing muscle.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I was certain that girl was dead, although I think that's understandable given the high body count and often poor-quality art.

But I'm glad to see at least some sort of cast is going to make it through for a while. I for one am eager to see more adventures of Potato Girl in Monster World.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Just binged on about 5 chapters straight. When can we expect the next one?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Breaky posted:

The art lends to the story somehow. In the non-action scenes it's a bit offputting but during the action its roughness kind of lends to the chaotic scene it's representing. I dunno, I can't imagine that significantly better quality in the art side of it would make it any better than it already is.

This story is a really great example of what something like GANTZ could have been but isn't.

You get the feeling there's a point to this story. With Gantz I originally thought that the point was that there was no point, but now it's become apparent there's simply ... no point.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

If that really was a roundhouse kick the author really needs some work, I had no loving idea what was going on there. Also some real crazy logic is going to have to be pulled to get the Duke bros out of this one.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Rakugoon posted:

oh poo poo I bet it's his mom

Denied under the Third Rule of Protagonists; you can't have parents running around gumming up the works. Also she got bit the gently caress in half.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

On the other hand, Eren's already been chewed the gently caress up.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

calilco posted:

It looks more like he was swallowed whole (or just had his legs chewed off) and the grotesque looking things are parts of Eren-Titan.

Half of me is still expecting next chapter to have the female titan teleport back to Dr Vegapunk's laboratory, spit Eren out into a mass of healing fluid and A SCIENTIST to come down hands on hips and be all "Eren stop gumming up our plans for a new world order or whatever."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

This manga is a coruscating firework in an otherwise pedestrian night sky.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Thoughts -

At some point something is going to have to be accomplished before the weight of entropy grinds the Scouting Legion into dust. They don't seem to do anything.

There's no way that's Annie. That would be such a loving let-down if it was Annie.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Mikasa could have been a really good main character.

She really wouldn't. She's perfect as a foil for everybody but reading about the amazing mass-killer prodigy girl with no emotions got old years ago.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Lost handed you a clue to a mystery you didn't know existed, and then later found out was completely pointless.

This is just us not getting answers to anything.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

On the other hand everyone dying all the time makes you desensitize and not care about the characters.

I know I'm already feeling it. Didn't give a crap when those squad dudes were squished by momma titan.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Wow, really? drat, I had no idea. That's pretty amazing for a monthly.

It has been killing tankobon sales for quite some time now. Like before this thread started.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I love the poo poo out of this manga. And she has to absolutely, positively, pay in a most serious manner for this poo poo. You don't get a pass for doing whatever duty the secret King of the city or whatever told you to do. I don't care for her reasons. She did some heinous, heinous poo poo and she has to pay.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Level Slide posted:

It's strange. I want there to be an animated adaptation of this manga, but I don't really know of any studios that would do this series justice and CG giants would just kill me.

This series lives and dies on tone. Look what happened to Bleach when they animated it.

At best hope for an OVA.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Monsieur Mango posted:

Why do I have the ill feeling that if their plan goes well and manage to capture her alive, that there will be a chapter dedicated to painful experiments and methods of interrogation. It will be painful to read and make us sorry for Annie. Please don't let this happen. :ohdear:

They would have to do a lot to make me feel sorry for Annie. They'd have to give her green hair.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Maybe it's a signet that the wall-worshippers wear and its a lead-in to that or some other clandestine plot.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Panzerschwein posted:

Now you jinxed it, she's probably going to suffer a horrible death in the next chapter.

I thought she was dead already, but I'll happily believe she's not.

Ka0 posted:

I am guessing it is some form of DLC?

That's ... what he says, yes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Pierson posted:

We have one already he's called Joe and you better believe he's always hungry.

Now I'm no fancy big-city biologist, all prancing around in my fine suit full of protractors, but those teeth just don't make a lick o' sense.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

hackbunny posted:

And she was trained in it by her father. What the hell is going on, and for how long has it been going on?

Well assuming all the specialized titans are people "in the know" from the Inner City then we can assume they are behind the entire thing for as long as specialized titans have been a factor. We still know next to nothing about how this all started or why but it seems a plausible guess that it was originally part of some man-made catastrophe or war, and then as the world changed and people adapted to being a lower rung on the food chain then those in power decided to covertly use the titans to keep the population in order and control the city to their own liking in a way democratic rule or pure military force couldn't.

Phew!

Pankratos posted:

I'd like to point out and praise the cover art for this chapter. Mikasa has a slim, lithe, but still muscular body appropriate for the kind of training she's been put through. She looks like an MMA fighter, which is more than I can say for many other depictions of "tough" women in manga and other media.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi would literally kill you.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Yessss, have some of that, ye bitch.

I'm sorry, but "Daddy told me to be a complete oval office my whole life, so I am" is not a tenable arguement for killing dozens and dozens of people.

Also, it looks like that titan was buried to keep it subdued - it's eyes look like it was lobotomized, or like it's just about to wake up from a long sleep. The reaction to sunlight makes sense in that case.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Except our protagonist doesn't get better, just angrier. His refusal to stop fighting is also on par with the black knight from Monty Python.

It's also a reflection of the tone of the manga in that you don't get super-powers just because you could really, really use them. Even if you've been training. Even if you're super angry.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Frome posted:

WWE style entrances every time he transforms too.

I'm going to imagine Titan-Eren walking in to "If You Smell What The Rock Is Cookin'" while stopping, breaking off to walk in a different direction for a few seconds, looking expectantly at the madly marking out giants, and then repeating the same thing in a different direction three different times.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Simstim posted:

And when he wins he can pull one of these

Jesus there is basically 0 chance Paul Levesque isn't juiced to hell isn't there.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Kusaru posted:

Ch. 34

And Volume 1 comes out in the US on Tuesday the 19th.

Edit: I never expected the religious group to end up being the least bit relevant.

If you come across a religious group in fiction they will

1) be evil
2+) ???

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Panzerschwein posted:

It makes me wonder if maybe Eren's dad could have been creating new Titans in order to build new walls.

That seems rather unnecessary when you can just ... make new walls.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I know this manga is very dark but it's very far from the following the sad, whimpering end of humanity. We're following a bunch of kids get killed en masse as they wizz around on mechanical slingshots doing sonic spins with twin swords. There's friends and an awesome girl character and Eren is a stone's throw away from saying he just wants to protect his friends. Two things are guaranteed in the later life of this manga;

1) Eren will get to see the big wide world that he's talking about

2) A massive, world-twirling twist. This manga is playing it harder than any manga I can think of with it's information distribution (except Bleach, but that's because the author doesn't know the requisite information); not only we but the characters themselves know absolutely bugger all about the world in which they live other than the immediate specifics. It's like the Bromeliad, with all the little nomes running around scared of rats and grasshoppers but with hints and clues of a much, much bigger world there. There's going to be a bigger twist than Aizen-was-the-villain.

Personally I'm predicting the rather obvious "Titans are human-made and programmed" that's probably everyone else's first guess too. It'd just fit in too perfectly to explain so much of what is going on while also leaving the slate open for further growth. If it is actually like, the titans and giants (except inexplicably for Eren and Annie) are agents of a malignant divine power that'll just be too close to Berserk to work.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

I'm not sure I buy the "Titans are man made and THERE ARE SOME THINGS MAN WAS NEVER MEANT TO TAMPER WITH!" angle. For one thing, its almost TOO expected at this point. For another, it makes the development of the human titans, whether they were created for the purpose of building the wall way back when or only by Eren's dad, a hell of a lot more diluted as a plot point.

You're getting the wrong end of the stick. I'm not saying the titans are an example of humanity's reach exceeding it's grasp and then the force of the plot makes them turn on their human creators, I'm saying the titans are to this day still being controlled by people and the giants are a mechanism used either for keeping populations under control or just to keep people away.

It's Blue Sub Six, but less complete nonsense.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I don't know how anyone is getting the idea that there are factions of titans running around. Sasquatch was toying with Foreigner-kun because he is actually, get this, a sadistic giant monkey thing. He's that crazy monkey character manga authors love to throw in every now and then. None of the titans probably have any knowledge of what the 3d gear actually are considering they've really only begun their push back when the Colossal Titan kicked down the doors of whatever Wall that was, and perhaps this guy just thought he could gain points with Doctor Vegapunk by bringing the intel back.

I'm also getting slightly weary of it being the worst day in human history, ever, ever ever, again. And I'm pretty sure this is at least the third time we've seen someone say something or act in a certain way, only for it to be superimposed over an image of said person being digested in the same or next chapter.

Minor gripes, I'm still well interested, but they're there.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gyges posted:

The human titans are clearly a different faction than this new guy, and I don't see any reason yet given to think of them as anything but Titans. Also with the Scouting Legion going out all the time it's hard to see the 3rd Gear as something that would be unknown to local/usual wall breaking Titans.

No they're not. Sasquatch talks about the thing in the back of "our necks." He's a human titan. Also bear in mind that 99% of the giant forces are mindless fart-around-and-eat-people giants that don't seem to have any minds, whereas the titans themselves are all geared toward specific purposes, be it breaking the wall or crashing through reinforced gates. They're bred or built or trained for certain things, and stuff like "why can the humans jump and move so well" isn't an issue for them most of the time. They're winning anyway, there's no impetus.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I see no reason to jump to the conclusion that there are different factions of giants just because one titan seems less informed on his dinner than others. "Being hairy" is likewise no greater sign of a political split in the titans than "being 50 foot tall." If anything, it speaks to me of different divisions in an organization. The parrallel I think of is the way Kizaru acts like he's a retard who's completely out of it up until it's time to go pirate hunting.

I'm not saying anyone's wrong, but there's not enough info here to support the theory everyone's jumping on board with. "Ymir's people" gives far more credence to that than what happens this chapter.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Speculation, as so much of what we've been talking about is.

It's also pretty silly.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

j4on posted:

Or they were just chasing her to begin with. Have we ever seen a human titan and a 'regular' titan peacefully together?

That's a valuable line of inquiry but the Colossal and Gatecrasher titans both seemed to be working in tandem with the giants, and the assumption is that Annie is as well. It is weird that if they just swarmed her to eat her out of instinct instead of because of a command she gave that they'd ignore the two humans standing around in favour of bringing down this much more dangerous target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Mindblast posted:

I can't recall anything funny that did not involve her.

I hope that fact alone gives her plot armor. On the other hand, that would make things predictable.

More predictable than the funny one dying, eh?