Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Rap posted:

I don't understand disliking a player to the point that you can't enjoy when they win. Even with like....Colt McCoy or Brady Quinn, whoever sucked more. If they won a game I'd still be happy about the win

I kind of get it because I'm living in real fear that Texas will win just enough games this year for Mack Brown to save his job. I could see the same thing with a quarterback - a small success could come at the expense of bigger long term success if it keeps a bad player hanging around and holding the team back instead of being replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
OK I find this exchange about alternate/contemporary uniform styles pretty hilarious.

GET OFF MY LAWN posted:

I'm completely sick of all these "Look at me! I matter!" uniforms.

I don't give a rat's fart what a bunch of 19 and 20 year old kids think. These are the same idiots that are listening to (some) lovely music and think McDonald's makes a good burger. They can barely dress themselves. So why do I want them having any say in what MY loving SCHOOL wears on the field?

Sane Person posted:

Since the dawn of Man, no older generation has ever been satisfied with the culture of the younger generation. I'm sure when you were younger older people were "completely sick" of your taste in music and style of dress. Times change.

GET OFF MY LAWN posted:

Maybe but a classic look still works any time. Dressing like poo poo makes you look like an idiot. When I was in high school and college people were wearing some stupid rear end poo poo. Stuff like Z. Cavaricci or Girbaud. I didn't do it. I wore regular khakis and button down oxfords. The same things I wear to work today, 25 years later. And it was the same thing that normal kids wore when my parents were in college in the mid 60s.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 30, 2013

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why do I want kids who attend MY loving SCHOOL have any say in what MY loving SCHOOL wears????

Somehow it just dawned on me that he included "thinking McDonald's makes a good burger" on his list of things those drat fool kids are up to these days. Aren't you just sick to death of all those 19-20 year olds who will. not. shut. up. about how McDonald's makes a really good burger? Do these drat kids know literally nothing about burgers? Completely sick of it.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Well I just about had a laughter stroke

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
TexAgs weighs in on the dismissal of two players, including the team's leading tackler Darian Claiborne, after they were arrested for arranging a fake drug deal then robbing the would-be buyers at gunpoint and pistol whipping one of them. They face enhanced felony charges with a maximum sentence of 99 years.

quote:

my hat off to sumlin! short pain for long gain! a new sheriff in college station and his name K. Sumlin!!

Yes way to lay down the law. Sends a real message that people in prison will not get to play on the team. It may seem harsh but Sumlin runs a tight ship. Note that Claiborne had been arrested at least twice in the year prior to this latest incident.

quote:

Sumlin is just using this occasion to run off some weaker players in order to free up roster spots for dudes who can ball.

Smart move running off that weak link in your otherwise amazing defense.

quote:

Do the 3 "victims" get charged with purchasing (or attempting to purchase) marijuana?

It's important to keep perspective on who the real bad guys are here.

quote:

Simply incredible. The stupidity across this nation is also present in BCS. Their lives are now likely ruined. Where is Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Quanell X. Oh, I cannot forget Obama. How about a beer and a chat for a learning opportunity.

:suicide:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

I'm less "people who drink and drive are HIIITLER" than a lot of people since cops are dicks and the current legal limit is in place for political reasons rather than particularly strong evidence pointing to serious impairment at .08 BAC or whatever

but also: Don't drink and drive ya dangus. For your health

Also if we're being honest, most people at some point in their lives have gone to a party or a happy hour or whatever and they've made a questionable decision to drive home. It's possible they weren't even over the limit, but it's definitely possible they were. They didn't get pulled over and they didn't have a wreck. The next day they probably vowed not to do that again, and they may or may not have kept that vow. It's not an OK thing to do, and it should definitely have legal consequences, but at least in borderline cases it probably shouldn't get someone labeled as a horrible monster.

e: Driving shitfaced drunk is obviously different, and should carry a more serious social stigma along with the legal consequences.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 8, 2014

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Ok back on topic I just read this amazing post explaining why Charlie Strong is going to leave Texas for Florida if Muschamp gets fired.

quote:

espn. they go to him and say, 'come on, charlie. let's be reasonable. you want to be a huge success and the bell cow that ushers in the era of the african head coaches. we want that, too, and we can help you more than you can imagine if you'll only play ball with us and go where we tell you to go. if you stay where you are, you'll have to fight us the whole way, and we can make things difficult for you. you play ball with us and you are assured of success. you fight us, and we limit your success. don't you owe it to that next generation to do the smart thing?'

how is he going to respond to that? is he the hard head i think he is and win despite them, or does he play along. i do worry about that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

buddhanc posted:

That dude is easily the worst poster on the Shag.

Which is really quite an accomplishment.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

warcrimes posted:

Again, it's an old phrase. It basically means your best player. And we've probably talked about it way too long.

Good point, let's move on to the possible homophobic implications of the expression "bum steer"

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
A few years ago I was at a bar with my girl and another couple. Just trying to enjoy some wings and a beer. Since I’ve always hated football it didn’t occur to me it was Sunday mid game. So there we were. Surrounded by fat drunk loud mouth blabbering slobs of all varieties. the fat butch wearing the oversized jersey and sideways hat (borderline Down syndrome). Ugh just thinking about years later makes my blood boil. They were bumping our table screaming in our ears. Amongst other things. One got in my face demanding to know why we weren’t into the game. I’d had it. A year long court case ensued. Me unharmed. Them, broken noses, teeth knocked out extra. Police came and actually turned taped the area off as a crime scene . Hey football tards! Don’t scream at and touch the girl friend of a 300 lbs bodybuilder who’s been doing kickboxing since he could walk. Idiots!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thaddius the Large posted:

Did the whole barroom break into applause after?

Probably, right before he beat them down for making noise at a bar.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
God I love how he uses "extra" as "etcetera."

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
haha holy poo poo

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Chilichimp posted:

That's right, we got child abusers, wife beaters, and gay's in the NFL. Those are all things that belong on 1 image macro.

I see what you mean, but to me it just reads like a simple "rule of three" joke, where the whole idea is that one of these things is not like the others. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to the person who made that, idk.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
News: Texas Monthly ran an article saying A&M should have played Tech in a bowl game

Views: Yep I've had enough. I called that trashy publication and demanded to speak with a customer representative since I used to pay to receive this garbage. I let the CSR have it by conveying the idea that most of the writers there have no place in modern journalism and are a disgrace to Texans. I nearly had her in tears as I was screaming for about 2 minutes strait. When i got her supervisor on the phone I feel I really made an impact there and got my subscription cancelled. I even got as far as having this issue price refunded back to my discover card. Good Riddance to Texas Monthly

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

OctoberBlues posted:

Isn't Texas Monthly actually like really well respected? I know I've read a lot of awesome longform stuff from them, I guess I didn't even know they wrote about sports.

I would say they're pretty well respected. An institution, to be sure. They do indeed run a lot of longform articles, including real investigative journalism, which is increasingly rare these days. They catch a fair amount of heat because they are relatively progressive by Texas standards, they certainly aren't cheerleaders for the Ted Cruz/Rick Perry/Greg Abbott types who dominate our state government.

All of that is beside the point though. I'm just laughing at the guy who was bragging that he had screamed at a female customer service rep until she was on the verge of tears because an article published by her employer dared to suggest that the SEC does what they can to create favorable bowl matchups for their teams. Also, the dude is almost certainly full of poo poo and none of this ever happened. His cool internet fantasy version of himself is a guy who screams at women about sports until they cry.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

quote:

What if Briles’s thought process was "The university Title IX office is a total fustercluck. Bureaucracy, confusion, uneven handling of cases. The best way I can handle this is to just do it myself so at least I can get SOMETHING done."

Holy poo poo it's like a meteor shower of scorching hot takes burning their way across a night sky

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Amazing. Poe's Law is in full effect here.

quote:

God wants us to win football games. He forgives sin and mistakes and he detests pious message board posts. It's very possible (and I think likely) Briles and our team is being sacrificed by misguided individuals who actually believe winning is "nice" but not important. Baylor being kicked out of Power 5 status will create a downward spiral of irrelevance both in the sports world and every other world. This could have been handled where we do right by God without concerning itself with the anti-Christian media but the BOR decided that to do right by God they had to do right by ESPN. Huge mistake that will cost us millions and jeopardizes our relevance.

I don't know you [Poster] and I imagine you are a great Godly man who desires to be even greater but this Football doesn't matter as much as our image concept is harmful and at the root of self destructive and unfixable snap decisions.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Oh my godddddd we should probably just let the terrorists win at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Ahahahaha so on a Texas board people were condemning Tom Herman's hire of Casey Horny, a very unfortunately named former Baylor staffer who tweeted a bunch of pro-Art Briles poo poo after everything went down.

Poster A chimes in with a hot take:

quote:

So all of you up in arms about this obviously haven't made mistakes in your professional life, especially when you were younger and more impressionable to the whims of your superiors. How would you like to be blackballed for the rest of your career? This guy got sucked into the us vs. them bunker mindset that set in with the Baylor staff last season. He himself had nothing to do with the despicable covering up of rape by Briles. As a Christian, I believe in forgiveness and that people deserve second chances and an opportunity to learn and grow. Following Herman over the years, he has completely won me over by his excellent judgment. In Herman I trust. The rest of you should follow suit.

A challenger appears!

quote:

Are you implying that it was because you were young and impressionable that you cheated on your wife with multiple dudes while main-lining hardcore drugs and being yanked out of a flophouse to be put into Rehab? That is because you were young and impressionable and the whims of a predatory superior landed you in that position? That's an...interesting take.

Poster A

quote:

Do I win something for you coming out of hiding? Should we discuss the reasons you have gone into hiding. Unlike you, I'm not a bitch rear end oval office and have stuck around here despite occasional attacks like yours and worked through my problems by staying clean. Overcoming my problems with God's help and treatment is something that I am extremely thankful and I am proud of who I am today.

This is my favorite anonymous football argument I have seen in a while.

• Locked thread